The Secret Life Of Seismic Activity

After a month of intensifying seismic action, a volcano in Iceland is erupting for the first time since the 13th Century. Aside from the obvious impact upon people in proximity to Mt Fagradalsfjall, it will be hell on newsreaders and television journalists covering the event. Yes, it’s a change from Covid and the Icelandic light is famously flattering and dramatic.

It could be a career metamorphosis but they would need to swiftly swot up on Icelandic pronunciation so that they can toss off lines like “While the eruption of Mt Fagradalsfjall, is not expected to have as much fallout as Eyjafjallajokull in 2010, it’s possible that a fissure will erupt from the ‘Sundhnjúkagígaraðarinnar in Svartseng.

This event has spooky-magical resonance. Iceland is the realm of trolls, elves, Seoir (A branch of Norse shamanism), epic poetry like Voluspa and Odin, the wandering god. They have cool concepts like ginnungagap – which means a primordial, magic-filled void.

Iceland’s Mountain Goddess

The national personification of Iceland is the Lady of the Mountain or Fjallkonen – a goddess figure not unlike the Norse deity Freya.

She is depicted with a crown of fire and ice, a raven at her side, holding a sword and rune stave.

Look deep enough and every culture connects mountains with elemental beings or deities. But in Iceland, nearly all the mountains are deemed goddesses. Above the border between two vast realms of crystallized molten rock* and with a direct channel down to (potentially) the core of the Earth, it’s the most seismically active place on the planet. Tectonic plates theory tries to explain why stone moves but it’s not yet proven. In such a land, supernatural inspo is never far away.

Iceland’s Foundation Is Fire Rock

The volcano Hekla, for example, is linked to Hel, the Norse underworld goddess. She’s not the villainess of Marvel movies or the torturous Christian Hell: the real Hel is more akin to Hekate. Even so the Icelandic Naming Bureau forbids its use as a first name. The Pagan Icelanders ‘became’ Christian in 999 and the old beliefs only really re-emerged out into the open last century.

In a move that would shock anyone with a sacred mountain mindset, the government and privatized power companies have been trying to control and harness the seismic activity to supply the aluminum industry. The process, which involves inducing earthquakes, has the unsurprising side-hazard of causing erratic seismic instability.

Mount Hekla Is Associated With The Norse Underworld Goddess Hel

“Every time the geologists try to change something, the Earth responds with increased seismic activity,” writes anthropologist James Maguire. He refers to the practice as Capitalocene.

If you live in a seismically active area, the Earth energy is particularly palpable. When Pluto was in Scorpio, I spent a year working at a ski resort on the slopes of an active volcano. It was later to become a movie star, playing Mt Doom in the Lord of the Rings movies.

In the off-season, the hills above our barracks-style staff quarters featured what looked like rivers of rubble contained within surreal, alien-style sculpture. It was actually pumice stones, obsidian and petrified lava. Note: Volcanic pumice is the ultimate foot smoother.

Nobody minded. Although the volcano didn’t explode until after I’d left, tremors were frequent and the mountain would vent hot steam in a ‘phraetic eruption.’ The hotel corporation owners ran dodgy drills in which we were told that if the eruption alarm went off, to gather on the golf course and on no account to try and push in front of the hotel guests to get into rescue helicopters.

The mountain, named Ruapehu, is a warrior god to the Maori people of the area and practically everyone who lived there personified him as a potent, wise, strong male.  Even the most prosaic people would go on walks to ‘tell their problems to the mountain.’ His presence was real. I felt it as plutonic and was weirded out but delighted when I realized that, days before a mini-quake or venting, I would feel an intensified hum through my feet. I’ve been seismically aware ever since and I’m sure many of you are as well.

In the incredible book Stone: An Ecology Of The Inhuman, Jeffrey Jerome Cohen talks of stone as being like water, alive and transient. It must be the most poetic geology book ever written:

To stone belongs sweeping romances of scale, time, memorialization, creation, cataclysm, a restless tectonicity (from ‘tekton’ – a carpenter or builder). Stone speaks differently from its sibling elements of air, water and lightning-swift fire. Its injunction is always to step outof the breathless rapidity of antropocentic frames and touch a world possessed of long futurity and deep past, a spatial expanse that stretches from the subterranean to the cosmic verge.

Alchem
Alchem
May 26, 2021 9:01 am

Excellent informative post.
Lava.Hums.Stone.
Thankyou.

Wish Upon a Star
Wish Upon a Star
March 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Off topic: Wow I’m loving this Aries season. I’m not accommodating muggles and I’m getting shit done. I was talking to a muggle on the phone. She was wasting my time. All I had to do was give a pregnant pause: so effective. Silence is golden. She got it. I learnt a big lesson. These people suck my energy. Is it Aries season or the fact that I have a Lilith trine natal Pluto transit till April the 10th. I had a dream last night. Everybody around me were babbling incoherently. In my mind I was feeling/thinking: my name is… Read more »

sphinx
sphinx
March 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Love this imagery, so romantic and power filled. Rather drawn lately to stories of my pagan ancestors and the history of all that area around the Baltic and North Sea. Fierce vikings bustling about in their wind swept boats, beautiful weavings and embroidery. Sadly the Teutonic Knights used the Baltic Crusades to crush paganism in those areas in the 1200’s or so. But stone remembers perhaps, a feeling or vibration? Have yet to visit the motherland. Have a friend who went to Mt. Doom in Mordor, or Ruapehu, and also found it intensely deep and a little foreboding. My favourite… Read more »

Last edited 2 months ago by sphinx
March 25, 2021 4:13 am
Reply to  sphinx

I feel that stone remembers too. Definitely. It contains so much intensity

March 25, 2021 4:22 am
Reply to  Invicta

There’s a beautiful story this post made me think of called the stone child. Kind of an ancestral tale common to many ancient cultures about stones bringing comfort, nourishment and literal weight. The ability to stay with oneself and heal after trauma- something that those afflicted find paradoxically nigh impossible to do. But when we manage- it’s so good.
I’ve been noticing lately that I’m grounded and that’s new. I suppose I have Saturn to thank. And my own stone child aka Rocky hehe 😜

Bon
Bon
March 25, 2021 9:48 am
Reply to  Invicta

Thank you for this tale of the stone child Invicta. I felt such a deep connection when I read this 🙏 When living in my grandmothers cottage after her passing, my brother built a shrine of round smooth stones under a tree in her backyard. As kids, we had spent afternoons climbing up in that green leafy tree and sitting out on its branches, swaying in the breeze. I have a habit of collecting stones and rocks that I feel an affinity with, feeling they vibrate with energy. My parents were bemused by my “quirky” connection with rocks, but my… Read more »

sphinx
sphinx
March 25, 2021 9:48 pm
Reply to  Bon

Stone child is a thing for sure! My dear heart has an egg shaped pet rock of granite that soothed his lonely child’s soul, sits on his home desk. I cleansed it respectfully with my crystals under the moon. My little autie Cappy Boppy loves to pick up extraordinary weights and heft them about! Bon, thank you for sharing.. I had a brother like that. Made me feel quite emotional to read your story. Crystals and stones naturally lead me back to my departed loved ones, it’s funny how such high angelic energy is found in such dense cocoons.

Violet Virgo
Violet Virgo
March 23, 2021 9:33 am

Heaven is in Iceland. Beautiful light, magnificent coastline, moody and all those Gods and Goddesses, a different world. Water everywhere, I understand what JJ Cohen means. Reading this piece game me a buzz. The planet is alive 🙂

March 23, 2021 6:59 am

I’m concerned about everyone up in Australia and particularly in Sydney. I’m seeing the most heart wrenching footage on bbc news of cows and horses and dogs being rescued from floods.

March 24, 2021 5:16 am
Reply to  Invicta

I am a bit blown away by all this seismic activity. Talk about shifts hey?
It’s palpable change energy and literally nothing feels certain.
I’m actually pretty good at dealing with huge changes as I grew up in a chaotic environment that I’m only beginning to appreciate was in fact, chaotic. I thought it was like that for everyone. So I feel like I have an advantage. Certainty or security, any sense of tomorrow being a sure thing are green shoots in my psyche but I feel so much love for everyone whose deep roots are being shaken up.

Last edited 2 months ago by Invicta
March 24, 2021 7:14 am
Reply to  Invicta

Wanted to share this article link from the telegraph today. Hope that’s okay to do https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2021/03/23/key-universe-works-may-have-discovered

March 24, 2021 8:48 am
Reply to  Invicta

Hello Lovely i’m replying from Adelaide where it is sunshine and roses, a place that also escaped the plague, no lockdown except for March-April 2020. A place a find as boring= as batshit oops sorry no analogies about bats and their guano with covid nativity still undecided?Seventh Day Adventists and other radical christian groups saying it’s the world’s end. That’s been said every century and most unlikely. Nature telling us how powerless we really are. So sad about the animals, first the fires then floods, gaia’s a harsh culler and the effect on the economy devastating,. Thank you for thinking… Read more »

March 25, 2021 4:09 am
Reply to  Pegasus

Thanks so much for this response Pegasus. I’ve been hoping everyone oop thar your end is safe. The animals were just heartbreaking and how weirdly cheerful and matter of fact people seemed about having their houses washed away. British people in that sitch woulda bin wailin and blamestormin and doin Jeremy bloody Kyle by now.
You’re a hardy lot you are!
Big love

March 23, 2021 5:42 am

Of course I’ve now been lost in volcanodiscovery dot com – an up to the minute watch on seismic activity & volcanoes; also fab interactive maps showing where there’s unrest, warnings & latest quakes all over the planet. Great for those who are sensitive so you can check up even the smallest ones.

March 22, 2021 9:08 am

As one who usually looks up, a sky watcher have lately been visualising & wondering what is under our feet… ****sigh*****telescopes & microscopes’
what a world we live in. Magical IS the word.

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
March 22, 2021 1:05 am

i wanna see the mountains in Arizona..aargh please god 🦂🦂🦂

Veronica
Veronica
March 22, 2021 10:11 am
Reply to  scorpiodawn

Me too!

joolz
joolz
March 24, 2021 1:50 pm
Reply to  scorpiodawn

Please go to Utah first. The most mystical ground in the 38 IMO.

joolz
joolz
March 24, 2021 1:51 pm
Reply to  joolz

heh, meant 48, typo.

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
March 24, 2021 7:37 pm
Reply to  joolz

ok! 😊

dizzarina
dizzarina
March 30, 2021 9:48 am
Reply to  scorpiodawn

Arizona (and Utah, as joolz said) is truly magnificent. Do go if you can.

March 22, 2021 12:44 am

Thank you for that book! Reads like X-rated geophilia.
This post is so timely as Pluto is heading for my Aqua IC, so being a big stonehead, (& the mountain shack being requisitioned by local authorities) i am looking to build a retreat using stones from around the mountains here, & from stone ruins on my family’s land. Could be spooky, as stones hold stories, but my Moon-MC is excited about this – AND since this will be ON my Moon-MC line, i feel i don’t have a choice in the matter.

March 22, 2021 8:50 am
Reply to  Skarab

Building a retreat using stones from mountains & stone ruins, what a dream thinks someone who has a love of stones and not just the psychedelic ones. My bathroom has clusters of stone in the shower and loo s an art formation. They are perfect egg shapes of different sizes. The smallest the size of a sparrow egg. Make great paper weights & flower presses as well 🙂

Veronica
Veronica
March 22, 2021 10:10 am
Reply to  Skarab

There re some fab stones at a retreat we go to in the Hunter Region of NSW. It was a sheep farm, but now has many cabins and camp sites and the most wonderful river running as a boundary.
Many beautiful big round stones, we had such a lovely time there so i brought one back hoping to tune into that vibration back at home

March 24, 2021 8:54 am
Reply to  Veronica

That’s sounds a magical place Ronnie :-)Sellicks Beach 45 kms south of Adelaide has the most amazing egg stones, perfect eggs. of all sizes amongst the others that line the cliff areas.A place that had 6 houses when my grandparents went to live there now full of macmansions. Is nothing sacred anymore. Some of those small eggs travelled with me around the world as my connect to ‘home’.x

Leolionesssnake
Leolionesssnake
March 21, 2021 11:34 pm

In

VenusRules
VenusRules
March 21, 2021 2:10 pm

oooh this book looks fascinating. I’ve always loved stone houses. Pluto on my Midheaven… would love a stone house to retreat to! But I’d want it near the sea. And with at least one room full of light for painting.

March 22, 2021 12:50 am
Reply to  VenusRules

Snap – just saw this after i posted 🙂

March 21, 2021 12:56 pm

Happy Equinox everbody – a great article to kick it off with .. Absolutely have felt the elemental power of earth – also; the Icelandic Lady of the Mountain deity reminds me of the ‘Sleeping Lady of the Great Cave’, in the Tham Luang 13-member soccer team rescue in July 2018 – whereby a lot of inexplicable events (not least the rescue itself) could only find ‘logic’ in the sacred, even according to some (very scientific) rescuers .. Am not sure as to any lunar significance to seismic activity, too, but my Chilean aunt told me (when I last visited… Read more »

March 22, 2021 8:59 am
Reply to  Earthstar

Noticed in the lead up to the Gulf War of 1990 the ring of fire was very active. As i thought the world was going to end then went to the furtherest place away from there, French Polynesia for 3 months, stayed 2 years where one could feel Pele’s persona under the feet. No shoes worn most of the time =bliss. The toes spread after a while to balance so can walk on coral and do no damage.No news also meant no news of eclipses which were a stunning shock, no street lights in the way of the viewing.

March 23, 2021 8:13 pm
Reply to  Pegasus

Hiya Pegs – I think you are living my (ideal) alternate life in a parallel dimension ..😍 Sounds like life as it was meant to be .. Coincidentally, when my parents emigrated to Australia from South America back in the day; the plane flight necessarily took two days, with an overnight stop in Tahiti (I was born here in Oz). To this day I don’t possess the courage that they had to wilfully make themselves aliens (different language, currency, culture, food, music, dressing, ways of being) in search of a new adventure/home. It does make me a walking cultural appropriation… Read more »

March 23, 2021 9:41 pm
Reply to  Earthstar

My parents did that twice with me in tow before settling in Oz. Now that i’m living in my birth place after an absence of 40 yrs, i still feel like a foreigner, as i look at matters from different perspectives – not just from the local one. My partner’s the same, & so’s my closest friend. We were all born in different places to each other but have had the same cultural displacement experiences. We sit around discussing how weird it must be to NOT feel like an alien. You could say that we are like rolling stones ;-).

March 23, 2021 10:58 pm
Reply to  Skarab

Haha, Skarab – and I honestly am smiling in whole-hearted familiarity – like from my gut !!😄 I’ve learnt that I love being the outsider – am more uncomfortable in places where everyone easily assumes the status quo (knowing as I have learnt – the hard way – that even (or especially) shared perspectives can be very illusory/subjective). I have finally found a deep sense of home here in Perth, Oz – the land/ocean does really talk to me in ways it never did in my birthplace (Sydney), nor my parent’s Chilean cities, nor any other Australian city. I did… Read more »

March 23, 2021 11:00 pm
Reply to  Earthstar

In short, Skarab – we gather no moss. X

March 24, 2021 8:12 am
Reply to  Earthstar

True that, haha! Funny you had that experience in England, as i was so drawn to the south-west there that i just had to live there, & did so for a few yrs. It was all about connecting with Spirit & magical (it lies on my Neptune AC/ Uranus MC lines) & still go there when i can. I also feel there is an ancient link between where i am now & there. Maybe it’s the Atlantic winds that the two places share. Some places just sing to you & ultimately it’s all about your heart being in tune with… Read more »

Last edited 2 months ago by Skarab
March 24, 2021 9:03 am
Reply to  Skarab

Yes, Cornwall is totally beautiful and so seeped in history it’s so palatable.

March 24, 2021 9:02 am
Reply to  Earthstar

SNAP! hahaha.

March 24, 2021 9:01 am
Reply to  Skarab

I think it’s wonderful to feel like an alien Skarab 🙂 No moss gathered on rolling stones x

March 24, 2021 10:59 am
Reply to  Pegasus

Of course you would say that you big Saggie, you! And yes, it is liberating when you allow yourself to be free from the need to fit in.

March 24, 2021 9:00 am
Reply to  Earthstar

SOUTH AMERICA? Never got to the Americas but it was always a dream to go there to Columbia as met 2 of the best women from there when living in Belgium. Cat burglars both with one specialising in dimonds. One shot her husband when she found him with another woman and as a ‘crime of passion’ (love it!) only did 2 years prison. Those women if they liked you-LOVED you, would die for you. They made many people seem bland….lol. You are universal Earthstar.

March 24, 2021 8:09 pm
Reply to  Pegasus

Hiya Pegasus & Skarab !!💗 Skarab – astro-cartography is *soooew* interesting – Will explain; & Pegs – you popped into my dream this morning just before I awoke, lol – we were walking (with a group of backpackers, obvs) from Melbourne to Perth for fun & stopped for a break/coffee in Adelaide – you looked hippie-glam as per your photo & I looked a wreck!😄 (definitely have read you saying you lived there before – am not super-clairvoyant !😄) All this talk of what constitutes home & belonging is proving weirdly synchronistic for me IRL. (E.g. ABC Classic FM’s series… Read more »

Last edited 2 months ago by Earthstar
March 27, 2021 10:24 am
Reply to  Earthstar

Must explore this astro geography as the place loved most in the world was Moorea across the Sea of Moons from Tahiti Island & shaped like a heart. Someone said if a line was drawn thro’ the earth it came out at Moorea & there IS a pyramid mountain there. My father came from Guardino-Taormina a place i was told had ‘B-Grade movie blue sea where a diving movie was made. It is very close to Mt Etna. A walking trip to Perth with a group of super cool women changing every place into our version of Utopia as we… Read more »

March 27, 2021 4:08 pm
Reply to  Pegasus

💗💗💗 Am right with you, Pegs. X

Hilarygherkin
Hilarygherkin
March 21, 2021 11:55 am

I once visited a shamanic healer and had a vision of my higher self; she looked like a dead ringer for Fjallkonen-and I’m of Icelandic descent!
Also the various anglicisations of Seidr (seidh) are very similar to the Gaelic word “sidhe”, which is magic or the fairy folk.

Hilarygherkin
Hilarygherkin
March 23, 2021 9:51 am

So you did!

Wish Upon a Star
Wish Upon a Star
March 21, 2021 4:28 pm
Reply to  Hilarygherkin

Well you do have mischievous faery-magic look about you!

Or is it Elvin?

March 22, 2021 9:00 am
Reply to  Hilarygherkin

So it is!

JacQui
JacQui
March 21, 2021 10:44 am

Who else feels little tremors and has stopped asking if anyone felt that?

Aqualeo
Aqualeo
March 21, 2021 5:04 pm
Reply to  JacQui

Me! Often. With Uranus combust Sun, but now transiting Uranus is conjunct ASC I also see flashes of lightening at night lighting up my bedroom. It’s as magic as it gets.

JacQui
JacQui
March 21, 2021 9:19 pm
Reply to  Aqualeo

Me too out of the corner of my eye (angels or something I guess)

March 22, 2021 9:04 am
Reply to  Aqualeo

Optometrist told me the light flashes were from age. Books on ‘other beings’ say it is aliens or angels.

March 22, 2021 12:31 am
Reply to  JacQui

Yeah but I’ve been putting it down to neurological problems !

Aqualeo
Aqualeo
March 22, 2021 6:46 am

Will do Mystic thank you

March 24, 2021 5:45 am

Ok. So I’m now going to watch with interest Etna and versuvius plus Stromboli because these guys are in my hood. It might be them that’s making me feel odd things. Mystic you sure are one lightening rod !

5thHouseCap
5thHouseCap
March 21, 2021 10:40 am

Okay, its done. You have convinced me. Spending 4 weeks in Iceland this summer. I thought being more alone than I currently am would totally suck, no matter the view. But if the mountains talk, who needs men?

joolz
joolz
March 24, 2021 1:54 pm
Reply to  5thHouseCap

Been there 2x and think of it often, The most magical incredible landscape, vibe and chill folk.

5thHouseCap
5thHouseCap
March 27, 2021 5:25 am
Reply to  joolz

Thanks for adding to the pile of more convincing reasons. Midsummer in Iceland just might be what the doctor prescribed.

Catebla
Catebla
March 21, 2021 9:13 am

If you haven’t seen it you must see Woman at War. It’s Icelandic and about precisely the power company treachery you mention. Fantastic film about strong women and a glorious landscape and geology. I’ve spent time there and can vouch for it. I’d live there – if I could speak/learn Icelandic. And could shed a few years…

March 21, 2021 7:06 am

This is so beautiful. Thanks.

SusanE
SusanE
March 21, 2021 4:15 am

I think you’d enjoy, Underland by Robert McFarlane. Brilliant book!