Pluto-fatigued? Me too. But don’t worry, the next big astro-deal is different – Saturn in Aquarius square Uranus in Taurus. It runs all 2021 but some of you will have felt the spooky little buzz this year, from April to until late June.
The Saturn-Uranus interplay is everything. Even if your natal birth chart has zero alignments between the two, society runs off their dynamic. There is always a set of rules that seem like a good idea when first regulated but which expire or are exposed as corrupt in the first place. They’re never going to be rewritten by the people living high off them so something has to provoke the rethink.
Saturn square Uranus Is The Forever Story
And there is always an alien hum beneath normality, a code to crack, a matrix glitch, or an insurgency. It’s within our psyche as well – the constant tug between a Saturnine and Uranian sensibility. Is there another truth out there or is your renegade nature just an excuse for under-achieving?
You make your new rules and then you subvert them. In a Utopian scenario, it would be a really chilled and organized process but what creative thing goes like that? Nobody gets to genius or even clarity by scheduling an assessment date in or going to a workshop. It’s chaotic because it has to be. The more a prospectus or press release mentions innovation and subversion the more likely it is to be the status quo parting their hair on the other side. Or with a new jacket.
Similarly, in your personal life the revolution you think you need is hardly ever the (better, weirder, and more effective) one that you get in the end.
Astrologically, Saturn is often portrayed as the Boss Planet and Uranus as the iconoclastic rebel but it’s weirder than that. The mythological Uranus is a Primal Sky God, married to Gaia – the Earth Goddess.
Uranus Is The Primal Sky God
Saturn AKA Chronos overthrew him and established himself as Chief Deity. And then he was overthrown by Jupiter but – spoiler – Uranus never really died. Leaving aside the Real Deities Of Olympus saga and the (repressed) role of Goddesses in all this, what’s up with Saturn in Aquarius square Uranus in Taurus next year*?
Saturn and Uranus are both considered rulers of Aquarius – who will “win”? My theory is that it’s going to be a clash between different styles of ingenuity: the digital/tech smart-city utopian ideal versus a decentralizing, eco-centric, less networked aspiration. Normally with square aspects like this, you’d push for a merger or compromise but this is happening in Fixed Signs.
Have you ever tried to get a Taurus or an Aquarius to change something? They bunker in for the duration of the debate. Or, in the case of Aquarius, they slide into a parallel timeline where you never happened.
A Parallel Timeline
For the best take on Saturn square Uranus consider the following: It’s not happening in isolation, it’s part of a broader story.
- May 1942: Saturn and Uranus were conjunct in Taurus – starting a new Saturn-Uranus cycle.
- December 1951 to November 1952: Saturn in Libra square Uranus in Cancer – the invention of color television, credit cards, barcodes, pocket radios, and more.
- April 1965 to January 1967: – Saturn in Pisces opposite Uranus in Virgo – Mao Tse Tung’s Cultural Revolution, the Black Panther movement, new-gen feminism + the invention of calculators, video games, microwave ovens + more.
- October 1975 to April 1977: Saturn in Leo square Uranus in Scorpio – the environmental movement gets traction, home computing, Roots, the first woman (Barbara Walters) to anchor a prime-time ‘important’ show, the Village People and a s-load of cultural moments/inventions.
- Feb to November 1988: Saturn conjunct Uranus in Sagittarius – a new cycle starts and so did the internet! It was also the year of the first computer ‘virus’, the decline of the Soviet Empire, the beginning of Prozac and mood-altering medication, AND Mars in Aries for the longest time until 2020.
- July 1999 to June 2000: Saturn in Taurus square Uranus in Aquarius – if you are noticing that this is the flip-version of 2020’s Saturn-Uranus square, yes! It was also Jupiter conjunct Saturn in Taurus and this year, in late December, is Jupiter-Saturn in Aquarius. It was also the Millennium Bug, dot.com bubble burst, Enron collapse, and AOL/Time-Warner merger which arguably was the foundation for today’s tech titans.
- November 2008 until July 2010: Saturn in Virgo opposite Uranus in Pisces – The mass existential crisis era for all the Gen X people born with the Saturn-Uranus Opposition in the mid-60s, Global Financial Fuqery and the launch of multiple apps like Netflix, Instagram, Uber and all the similar-consciousness creations that came with the widespread uptake of smart-phones.
So, two questions for you. If you were writing a screenplay and this was the backstory you had to work with, how would you write 2021? And, visualizing your Aquarius elements versus the Taurus elements, what would they invent if they had to work together?
*This is a general take on it – if you want to know where Saturn + Uranus are influencing your natal birth chart, get one of my Transit Reports.