The Genius Of Magic

Circe on her throne with astrology symbols

So Saturn squaring my Moon in the 9th house has turned the upcoming Sorceress Astro-Report into a labyrinthine vortex of research. I’m not satisfied with the usual definitions of anything. A few years ago I might have been content with info from Wikipedia, Crystalinks, my Women’s Encylopedia of Myths & Secrets, and what I remembered from a lifetime of reading myth/magic.

Now? I have made notes from books like Astral Magic In Babylonia and its painstaking deciphering of multiple texts and inscriptions. Now I have spreadsheets comparing things like constellations, priestess techniques, cuneiforms to runes, and the thousand names for Mercury. It’s deranged enough to qualify as a mood disorder but my dreams are sensational.

You know how studying some things robs them of the thrill? The genius of magic is that seeing it through academic optics makes it more satisfying. Magic* is the most ancient thing going and always the most contemporary.

Anyway, I have some observations:

(1) When applied to magic, the ‘cultural appropriation’ argument is a bit yesterday. It comes from genuine horror at how indigenous cultures had their lands stolen and their spiritual practices outlawed, then exploited. In New Zealand, for example, the Tohunga Suppression Act of 1907 forbade Maori medicine and spirituality. Tohunga’s literal meaning is “a person skilled in reading signs”:

It encompasses an array of shamanic and healing perspectives. Banning an entire belief system doesn’t, as we know from the example of witches, work too well. So it’s easy to see how people are angered by seeing these meaningful, recently illegal, symbols suddenly the new cool thing sported by people who actually don’t give a s**t about any of it. But magic is built on layers and layers of corresponding concepts; themes echo over time. I’m not offended if someone thinks the name Draco is purely the name of a Harry Potter character but if the Inquisition or persecution of Celtic Pagans was more recent, I probably would be.

But the real point here is that the symbols, deities, and concepts from your core ethnic group – your ancestral heritage – are more potent for you. And they all go back to Ancient Babylon anyway.

(2) It’s shocking how much the influence of Christianity pervades writing about magic. It’s understandable when you’re reading a Victorian archeologist’s thoughts on the ‘Heathens’ or the Catholic Encylopedia’s bone-chilling take on Gordiano Bruno. But when a piece starts out being about “druids” or “moon magic” and degenerates into angelic charms to ward off the Fae/protect against evil, it’s weird.

Or it’s a quasi-Christian Law of Attraction rave with a few mentions of witchy deities and then the promise of access to an entirely benevolent Universe if your mindset is positive enough. It’s eerily similar to the old Christian concept of keeping your thoughts ‘godly’ so you did not manifest bad things. There are also a plethora of magical ritual recommendations that are like Church ceremonies with a few names substituted and some patchouli thrown around.

(3) The “technology of sorcery in the ancient world” – as my new fave book puts it – was not madly sexist or anything ist. There were priests and priestesses, Gods and Goddesses, deities who were gay or transgender, and so on; the magical texts reflect this. But from around 400BC, two new concepts emerge: Yin (aka female vibe) as a lesser, weaker, darker, or even ‘abysmal’ force and left hand/anti-clockwise anything being demonized. And you still read it today, as if either is the way it’s always been. Interestingly, the clockwise direction was said to be better as, in the Northern Hemisphere, it’s Sun-wise. If you face the East, the direction that the Sun rises, it travels to the South, which is your right hand. I’m developing a line of thought on this.

(4) You don’t need to be overly concerned about having – for example – medieval styling or accessories for spells and rituals. Of course, if you want them, go for it. But if an ancient priestess of Babylon or a Celtic druid time-traveled to the 21st Century, you can betcha they’d be delighted with gas lighters and apps that let you confirm the star you’re gazing at. And, if you’re psychic, you can scry from television static just as readily as you can from an officially sacred mountain lake.

(5) I put this in the Daily Mystic email for Monday but awareness of Space Weather is the coming thing. I was reading about Solar Minimum and had to keep checking I was still on a science site. Short version: During all of April, Earth was bombarded by a lot more cosmic rays than usual. Less Solar Wind, more electrons and lightning – what are the effects of all this on us? And what is the relationship to astrology as we know it? I think it’s linked to the Jupiter and perhaps the Jupiter-Saturn conjunctions. I am on it!

(7) Finally, when you read a heap of old texts about magic, you see how artificial and pointless the division between astronomy/science and astrology/magic is. Contemporary scholars and anyone in recent eras cannot study the pre-Monotheistic eras without a working knowledge of magic because it was woven into everything. It still is, of course.

And if you want a little touch of old Babylonian thought, I was reading about Lunar Mansion – vis a vis my Moon in the 9th House – and found this beautiful line from an ancient astrologer: “What a star has wrought, a star will undo.” If you felt you’d been copping the adverse side of a planetary influence, you’d do various rituals or meditate on the nature of that influence.

*In this context, I’m meaning magic as astrology, divination – particularly of dreams, rituals or spells, plants used medicinally as well as metaphysically and reverence for the old gods.

Image: Louis Chalon – Circe – Note the Zodiac decor behind her throne.

Cate
Cate
September 20, 2020 5:12 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever commented in the many years I’ve been a member. If you only knew how timely this is for me. yeowza! Thank you.

scorpionic
scorpionic
June 21, 2020 1:24 am

Mystic—you are SO F’ing Brilliant!

dbananza
dbananza
May 31, 2020 12:23 am

I look forward to the fruits of these all nighters… *wiggles in chair*

Skarab
Skarab
May 13, 2020 8:45 pm

**But the real point here is that the symbols, deities, and concepts from your core ethnic group – your ancestral heritage – are more potent for you. And they all go back to Ancient Babylon anyway** Unless i am somehow misreading this, I disagree – they do not all go back to Ancient Babylon. Most cultures around the world have magical symbols, deities & concepts that well predate the Ancient Babylonians whose culture was only around from 2300 BC; & some predate by thousands of years such as Aboriginals, African cultures, Siberians, etc. There is cave art with ancient magical… Read more »

Skarab
Skarab
May 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Saturn is now opposite my 9th House Moon, so i may be having a hard time in discerning or digesting sudden flippant throwaway comments about cultural appropriation given the incendiary times we are living in. So forgive my need for clarification. And to tell you the truth i would be thrilled to know more about the Dos & Donts of Dating a Leo…. though i would prefer to know more about Aquarius.

May 13, 2020 10:39 pm
Reply to  Skarab

I only dated one Leo. The do list would have to be pretty long for reconsideration. 😘

May 13, 2020 11:02 pm

I always date Leo rising. Always. ? Always. ?

murasaki muenja
murasaki muenja
May 13, 2020 7:38 am

I love what you write, Mystic, and I’m grateful for you, but what you wrote in (1) made my stomach drop. I’m studying to become a craniosacral therapist right now and have been studying the history of Osteopathy which is where this healing practice is rooted. It was founded by a white settler man named Andrew Taylor Still in the 1800s. He lived among the indigenous Shawnee who were the original stewards of the land which the settlers named “Virginia.” They showed him their spiritual healing practices which became the basis for what he would later call Osteopathy, which would… Read more »

May 13, 2020 10:31 am

mm I am also interested in studying cranial sacral therapy. I was not aware of these facts but now I am. Thanks.

One day I was watching a cs teacher demonstrate something on you tube. He was using a dummy baby and female skeletal pelvis to demonstrate something about birth. I don’t know why but I didn’t like the way he was handing the bub. I was angry.

Now I know why I was angry.

May 13, 2020 10:55 am

Just read something about Stills and the Native Americans. From the NA’s point of view. Very enlightening.

Need to digest this.

Mariposa
Mariposa
May 13, 2020 8:23 pm

The danger in terms like “political Māori” is that it assumes there is one type of “political” Māori and further reduces the stereotypes you are inadvertently, and unintentionally, promoting. “Dusky maidens”, “happy horis”, and “radical Maoris” were the three main stereotypes perpetuated by colonial powers, that still persist in today’s media – it’s worth being mindful of this. There are many iwi and many views by individuals within those iwi, and hapū, just as there will be many descendants of tohunga, and they may have wildly differing opinions to your friend also. What i see in Aotearoa/NZ is a gradual… Read more »

Hel
Hel
May 13, 2020 2:45 pm

I did not understand why you cannot find information on Japanese spirituality. I assume you are looking for it in Japanese and in national sites? When i want to read about Norwegian old religion the only real place to look is in books, at the university library ( some of the most famous deities have ok pages on Wikipedia in norwegian, bit most dont) Or you have to talk to somebody who knows. You cannot expect to find good things free online and written in english about old norwegian land based beliefs, ( why would there be) you might find… Read more »

Hel
Hel
May 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Of you are Japanese decendant but have lost your language, i think you can still learn a little if you show up. If you expect to get information in english, about Japanese old beliefs while sitting in Virginia, you might continue to be dissapointed. ( Americans often annoy me when they expect the whole world to speak to them in english, and are not able to have a conversation in any other language. It is a very humbeling experience to speak a language you have not grown up with. Any person who speaks more than one language knows that, and… Read more »

May 13, 2020 4:17 pm

I am on pain medication for surgery so excuse me if I am off with the pixies. But I need to ramble on.

I thought about your comments this arvo and was impressed with your articulation and integrity.

It feels like bad juju to study this art without honouring or acknowledging its origin. Or to study it at all. In Australia our aborigines have managed to keep their healing sacred and secret. To learn it would seem so contrived.

Maybe Stevie Wonder was right when he sang Superstition.

“When you believe in things that you don’t understand”

Skarab
Skarab
May 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Hope you are healing fast & well, Wish…. & say hello to the pixies for me 🙂 xx

May 14, 2020 8:03 pm
Reply to  Skarab

Thanks Skarab. The pixies are fading today.

But I am getting my energy back.

x.

Ellii
Ellii
May 13, 2020 7:06 am

I love all of this! But I’m really drawn to the no 5 point which I read in Monday’s daily too
On Saturday here in paris there was a 3 hr lighting storm and we’ve had high winds ( Paris is not a Windy City ) and the temperature dropped to an icy 13deg on average ftom May 9-11 so please more info about this earth crossing some magnetic polar sheet
Is this like getting a surge of electric shock to “re boot the magnetic earth fields and therefore our own magnetic field (?? Ps I’m
Also Scorpio ♏️ x

Moinee
Moinee
May 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Re: “…the clockwise direction was said to be better as, in the Northern Hemisphere, it’s Sun-wise” back in those days I wonder if the privaleged, educated and holders of magical knowledge even knew of the Southern Hemisphere. Nowadays down South, we cast our Sacred Circle following the path of the sun from East to North, West to South and the four directions and the four aspects that are Gaia are honoured in ritual, Earth, Sea, Sky, Fire. And perhaps in our more (potentially) enlightened, informed and tolerant era, we understand that all lifeforms deserve respect as we are all linked… Read more »

JacQui
JacQui
May 12, 2020 5:32 pm

1. Love love love the image 2. Sooo excited for my report 3. Those cosmic rays are f with my work mob big time 4. Why am I using numbers like MM? 5. I was initiated in Reiki in 1996 and we were taught that secret powerful symbols were used to alter our energy field so I held them in esteemed devotion thinking IF I did the 3rd Master’s course they would be revealed, Well they are plastered all over Pinterest now, I can’t look.

Mysticcaitlin
Mysticcaitlin
May 12, 2020 3:38 pm

This is quite possibly my favorite post of yours thus far. Brillllllliant!

May 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Have you got to the part about child sacrifice ? The Babylonians were quite keen on the idea. In fact human sacrifice played an important role in many pre monotheistic cults. Even the Vedics of northern India were still murdering ? Ummm disposing ? Of millions of unwanted newborns, usually females until the British imposed penalties for the practice. I suppose what I’m saying is that pre Abrahamic religion had a brutal side. In fact the key turning point in the change over from Goddess rule to God rule (monotheism) was the story of Abraham who was about to sacrifice… Read more »

Hel
Hel
May 12, 2020 2:56 pm

Nice text! Is it really true? Was it common to sacrifice your first born? Was the story of isac the rule not the exeption at the time?
In Norway archeologists keep finding childrens corpses and skull pieces built into the foundations of houses. For protection? We dont know of they were from slaves or the family of the house

May 13, 2020 10:31 am
Reply to  Hel

No Isaac was the exception. His fate was specifically recorded as being different from the common practice. Abraham was born into Chaldean society. He revolted against the practices of his father and moved to Canaan. In Canaan also first born were sacrificed to Moloch, the god of fire. There are many references to the story of Isaac and the relationship of this story to human sacrifice.

May 13, 2020 6:24 am

Hang on, slaves tick. Working for the religious (science) leaders, tick and the wealthy, see above, tick. Errrrrr me thinks little has changed in so many ways.

May 13, 2020 10:36 am
Reply to  emg

Surely you don’t see our lives as similar ? Most in the West are enslaved by their own hand. We have the choice. The main sickness in today’s society relates to consumerism and Christian work ethic.
People complain about this but I believe most have a choice.
More importantly we can learn about magic, astrology, mystic traditions when in ancient days this knowledge was kept secret by small circles of powerful people.

Lili
Lili
May 13, 2020 9:34 am

“The Mists of Avalon” and “Harvest Home” by Thomas Tryon (sp) touch on human sacrifice- for the land and the group in times of crop failure and famine. The prom king and queen were on deck in case of catastrophe.

Many Celtic prayers appease gods of the hearth. They just swapped Mary and the son for Brigid.

May 12, 2020 1:06 pm

My Neptune in Scorpio, 9th House loves this.

Thanks Mystic..

Maccafella
Maccafella
May 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Awesome post. Currently redecorating and have been inexplicably drawn to the Red Cross of the Knights Templar and have been thinking of getting a rug made. Not sure my Islamic friends would approve and might just be the ancient equivalent of the Confederate Flag lol!

May 13, 2020 3:34 pm
Reply to  Maccafella

I visited the castle that was once home to these knights. Was long time ago and not at the time across the history of their activities. Crusades would make sense. Should look into..

May 13, 2020 3:56 pm
Reply to  Maccafella

My ancestors are Maltese. We have this cross on our flag. Interesting connection. Interesting history.

Cat
Cat
May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

I love all of this! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more updates on your thoughts and discoveries.

Love Merkuri
Love Merkuri
May 12, 2020 11:41 am

Amazing! Thank you as always!

May 12, 2020 9:57 am

OMG this sounds ahmaAHMzingg….my 9th house loves it!

LenMetcalf
LenMetcalf
May 12, 2020 9:01 am

Am reminded of the water going down the bath tub clockwise and counter clockwise in each hemisphere of the earth. While more antidote than fact apparently. But, the weather patterns do change with hemisphere. Here’s a quote from scientific America. “ The Coriolis force accounts for why cyclones are counterclockwise-rotating storms in the Northern Hemisphere, but rotate clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. The circulation directions result from interactions between moving masses of air and air masses moving with the rotating earth.”

Shazberry
Shazberry
May 12, 2020 8:35 am

I love this so much, Mystic. Thank you 💖💖💖

Crystallised future
Crystallised future
May 12, 2020 8:22 am

Damn Mars in Virgo aye Mystic. It can drive into drilling down so hard on a subject that the original task gets waylaid, sometimes into oblivion!

Alchem
Alchem
May 12, 2020 7:34 am

BRAVO..👏👏👏

Scorpleocap
Scorpleocap
May 12, 2020 7:31 am

I’m especially enraptured when you talk history, Mystic! There’s so much of interest here. I agree – I don’t think you can understand astronomy, or science, without understanding about magic. Interestingly, both are about reading the signs really – about noticing, observing. With science being more concerned with what’s noticeable by the eye, without paying attention to what can be sensed through other senses, which is limiting really. Or so my ramble bamble mercury conjunct mars in sagg is pondering this morning…😆 Other random musings – I love the meaning of Tohunga. Everything is in reading the signs, really. And… Read more »

x
x
May 12, 2020 7:27 am

Totally fascinating and something that has peaked my interest all my life, sex religion, ritual it’s all there and the gay transexual element too in the deeper belief system of so many ethnic peoples, so little research and mostly deeply hidden by – yes – the Catholic Church, suppression keeps the power in their realm. Just imagine the books and other writing they must hold in the Vatican Library.

maeve
maeve
May 12, 2020 6:27 am

I’ve always thought that some of the rituals I’ve read in books for performing magic are a little to fussy. It has seemed to me that most of our ancestors wouldn’t have had the modern tools these books advise to use. It would have been the things in nature they found around them to use or made by their own hands. This thinking may have something to do with me being a cap and accessing old magic as per my new daily mystic has been advising me about off late.

maeve
maeve
May 12, 2020 6:31 am
Reply to  maeve

PS love the research you are undertaking into these things. If i could make a living at it, i would be a archaeologist and old book researcher and be lost in what i find for years.

May 12, 2020 1:10 pm
Reply to  maeve

Agree Maeve.

The Magic is in the spontaneous moments and enjoying/feeling them.

I don’t think magic needs too much rehearsals or perfection.

May 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Magic : freesion and ritual go together like a horse and carriage.

Neptune and Saturn come together for a feast and in the afterglow of food and wine they remember, despite their differences, that they are very old friends.

Gee I really had to express that.

May 12, 2020 2:25 pm

I really love this Neptune Saturn statement wish. I have them trine in my chart, with Eris-MC making up the third point of that fire trine. Thank you for showing me a path I needed to remember

May 12, 2020 4:30 pm
Reply to  Sam

My pleasure sweet pi !

X.

Libra Moon Conjunct Pluto
Libra Moon Conjunct Pluto
May 12, 2020 4:15 am

I can’t even… I am still thinking through everything you wrote. This is giving a shape to so many thoughts and insights I’ve carried for a long time! It also sounds like you are getting a deeper taste of scholarship and blending it with intuition (which, as an academic, they claim NOT to do but repress that they do in the name of objectivity). I wish you the very best in this pursuit, but do recommend occasional breaks to not fry your beautiful mind!!

May 12, 2020 10:20 am

Love this! I think it might depend on the field of academia as much as anything else. Intuitive leaps are definitely ok! But if it’s going to be published or relied on as a source of info for others then it needs more support than a statement that begins something like, “I reckon that…” ..but! Being very clear about our own position within this “objectivity” is kind of key innit! To misquote an anthropologist somewhere, objectivity is boolsheet. (But we can try, as long as we try to be awake to our position and blind spots) Or a quantum physicist:… Read more »

LibraLilith
LibraLilith
May 12, 2020 12:52 am

Such fascinating stuff.
My dreams have gone totally nuts in the last week or so.
Also turned bed from North to East yesterday, will see if I notice a difference,

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
May 12, 2020 5:55 pm
Reply to  LibraLilith

so did i -as i have just moved-MEGA improvement, its beautiful

May 12, 2020 12:42 am

Ooh. Also. Re: point 4. Yes. I’m super opposed to magic hegemony blah. Like, privilege hello? If a voudou priest can scry from friggin chicken bones then afaict, a $90 obsidian orb is not compulsory to see into someone’s soul. Like, maybe for some idk but don’t assume that it’s like a shopping list item ya know

May 11, 2020 11:41 pm

I came across this awesome book (haven’t actually read it yet) written by an Italian researcher who spent a lot of time in the south of Italy, it’s about magic as a system of knowledge. I haven’t read your whole post properly yet so I don’t know if it relevant but is Ernesto de Martino, Magic: a theory from the south. It has a foot firmly in academic realm but hey 9th house