Everyday Astrology Magazine

Everyday Astrology Magazine

Everyday Astrology magazine was a pulp publication that ran from 1932 to 1953. I’ve never looked inside it, but the WW2 covers are surreal. The magazine was trying to strike a balance between keeping the show going and acknowledging the unprecedented shitstorm raging around it.

It was published by Ned Pines, a Sagittarius who started Thrilling Publications (later Better Publications) in 1928 when he was 23. It quickly became the most prolific comic, magazine, and pulp fiction publisher in existence. As well as Everyday Astrology, Pines produced dozens of other titles.

They included the apparently enormously popular Rodeo Romance series, Captain Future and Red Mask, the first African-American superhero.

Pines was born with Mercury Retrograde, at zero degrees of Capricorn, conjunct Uranus. A classic mercurial character, he started writing and editing aged 11, putting out a zine for his Boy Scouts troop. His company kept name writers afloat between gigs writing for ‘respectable’ media and churned out thousands of titles. A Mars in Aquarius guy, he said his success secret was to shut down anything that didn’t work abruptly.

Thoughts?

Ned Pines pulp astrology publisher

Everyday Astrology magazine 1940sEveryday Astrology atomic pulp

Images: I don’t know who the artists were, but the more surreal ones – e.g.: above – look like Earle K Bergey.

GemLeoLib
GemLeoLib
December 17, 2019 11:24 am

Love when you bring in astrology history!!

December 17, 2019 8:12 am

But an aquarius opinion of “what works” and what doesn’t “work” may differ from the norm. I do love it though. “This doesn’t work! NEXT IDEA!”

December 16, 2019 11:15 pm

I don’t know, but “Your Wartime Job” piqued my interest. What IS it with this astro, plus wind-up-to-frenzy-to-wind-down-or-collapse-in-a-heap time of year?? Coping with it but it’s like jumping out of the trenches and dodging whizzing bullets through no man’s land. That’s Work. (Fam stuff more like 80s Cold War scenario. Refreshing, is it?)

dizzarina
dizzarina
December 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Love these covers… so wonderfully surreal for “pulp”!

I notice that all of them are tied to the month’s primary sign, except for the first one, which should be Leo but depicts Mars.

lisa guest
lisa guest
December 16, 2019 11:50 am

Truth, however, had he been in charge of Seinfeld, the sitcom never would have evolved into such an all-time favorite of so many people. Some times I think changing the trend or providing what people don’t know they need takes a little time. Certainly what prowlncrab says is true… Her assessment of those without any support vs those more entrenched does make a difference in viewpoints. I’ve got 4 planets in Sagittarius (Sun, Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter) so I get Sagittarian stuff… my Saturn is on the mid-heaven. Lots of those SAG planets are in the Scorpio house (my mother… Read more »

prowlncrab
prowlncrab
December 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Mars in Aquarius here. I have significant cautionary aspects – 2nd house Cancer sun and venus. As much as it’s populist to be this ever giving, “never mind the money” type today, I always noticed this crap coming from trust fund/old money people who’d never experienced any real threat to their financial security and had no IDEA what it was like to not have anything or anyone to fall back on if the proverbial shit hit the fan. I had to ditch all those people over time because their advice was based on an entrenched sense of security that I… Read more »

Scorpleocap
Scorpleocap
December 16, 2019 6:06 am
Reply to  prowlncrab

You make such good points, prowlncrab. Have you possibly got an Earth sign north node or MC given that your life work seems to be establishing a secure base? Although I guess your second house sun placement could be seen as all about that.

prowlncrab
prowlncrab
December 19, 2019 3:41 am
Reply to  Scorpleocap

Nope! My MC and NN are both in Aqua, conjunct mars. I am more than a little eccentric at times … hahaha. The only earth element in my chart is Pluto in Virgo in the 5th – my idea of a good time is pretty OCD – like I’ll spend hours arranging books on the bookshelf according to height and colour balance of the spines!!!. 😉

December 15, 2019 3:37 pm

I can see how the Merc Uranus cap / mars aqua placements would find it very easy to cast a dispassionate eye over a flailing / limp idea and say, “yeahnah. Kill it.”

VirgoProtocol
VirgoProtocol
December 15, 2019 11:01 am

He’s got the mercurial info hunger look, that’s for sure.

Houdini
Houdini
December 14, 2019 11:14 pm

“His success secret was to shut down anything that didn’t work abruptly.” Yeah, because if it takes its sweet time to start working… to hell with it.
Sounds brilliant and sexy, to me.

Starinspired
Starinspired
December 15, 2019 11:53 am
Reply to  Houdini

Lol, such a Houdini thing to say!