What Is A Familiar?

What Is A Familiar?

Popular lore has it that a familiar is a ‘witches helper’ and that the word itself derives from the Latin word for a servant. But that seems like a construct, stemming from a time in which people could imagine few other types of relationships.

If witches are shamans, who are aware of or journey in other dimensions, then the familiar is the creature who is familiar in these different realms. They are usually animals already credited with magical powers. Ravens have always been said to have an identity in this world and one behind the veil. Cats are also inter-dimensional.

Was the cat seen as evil by the medieval witch hunters because of their high status in old Pagan cultures? Ancient Egyptians revered them, and the Cat Goddess Bast was one of the most popular deities. Nearly every household had a shrine to her. Or, did the Church inquisitors and obsessed local councils demonize people’s bonds with animals in their eagerness to persecute?

Of Course, Witches Preferred The Company Of Ravens And Cats To The Malleus Maleficarum Crew

They mostly went after mature and independent women of means or young outlier girls. It seems understandable that those females preferred to hang out with ravens, cats or even wolves than with the Malleus Maleficarum crew.

“Three hundred years ago people believed in the devil. They believed if an incident could not be explained, then the cause was something wicked, and that cause was often a woman who was said to be a witch. Women who did as they pleased, women with propriety, women who had enemies, women who took lovers, women who knew about the mysteries of childbirth, all were suspect…”
Alice Hoffman – The Rules Of Magic

Familiars Travel Between Lifetimes

Anyone who has a cat will attest to their frequent intent gazing at things we cannot see. They’re attuned to dark matter, quintessence and other realms. A reminder; occult means hidden, that’s it. Animals are also more attuned to nature, the Schumann Resonance and lunar rhythms than most people. A close connection to a creature means some of that rubs off.

We’re fond of many companion animals, of course. But the familiars are the ones we form super-strength spiritual bonds with. They come into our lives via weird means, and we feel their presence long after they depart. The real familiars are always there, life after life. They are a comforting presence in times of transition. What is a Familiar? A guide or guiding intelligence in animal form, whose spirit is known to the person.

Thoughts?

Image: Lady Eva Wyndham with her pet raven Quin.

Bottom Image:  Evelyn De Morgan

5 3 votes
, , , ,

Lux
Lux
October 19, 2019 1:00 am

Love this post. The pics and art you choose are always divine!⚡💕

LadyLeh
LadyLeh
April 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Definitely cats, but also not all cats. I’ve had several in my life, and only a couple (the female ones, interestingly) were clearly guardian guide familiars. I have been extra grateful for their company. The first one was most definitely a magical spirit; she is memorialized by a tattoo on my heart chakra. I’m also interested in the fact that despite my witchy sensibilities, there are stretches of time where I do not have a familiar… so I’m on my own. Perhaps they are simply there when we need a boost. Though good goddess I always could use a boost!… Read more »

Geminian
Geminian
April 7, 2019 11:49 am

I love this song by Agnes Obel on the topic.

April 6, 2019 10:51 pm

Oh, I just noticed the Lady Ghost in the first b/w pic.

Can you see her?

April 6, 2019 5:18 am

This is off topic I know. Has some portal opened or what?

Just experienced a profound healing on waking up. Have had neck problems since early 20s. This healing had me seeing visions of when my jaw was dislocated when I got my wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic. The visions weren’t traumatic.

A lot of energy moving in my jaw, neck and shoulders. Feel great.

joolz
joolz
April 6, 2019 1:10 am

My son, like me, has had intense dreams and nightmares since babyhood. We have 2 black cats and I’ve convinced him that witches kept black cats to control all the monsters, ghosts, etc., to free up the witches to do their work. Since I’ve told him this, Olive the cat has started keeping watch outside his bedroom door at bedtime.

Coincidence?
I think not.

Same cat, 18 years old and still stunning, knew i was pregnant before I did and started sitting on my abdomen constantly. Continued until I gave birth.

April 6, 2019 5:10 am
Reply to  joolz

How gorgeous.

cortazone
cortazone
April 5, 2019 3:47 pm

Cos the killed witches with their cats there were no cats to kill the mice. Then the black plague occurred because they killed the cats

April 5, 2019 9:09 pm
Reply to  cortazone

A profound example of cause and effect.

And the reason for black plague was found when?

The sins of the fathers are visited upon the sons.

South
South
April 6, 2019 12:27 pm
Reply to  cortazone

Instant Karma…
No cats to kill the rats!
Stupid Church

Aishah108
Aishah108
April 5, 2019 12:07 pm

Definitely my beautiful pure bred kelpie called Orbit is my familiar. Already dead for 30 plus years but his photo hangs on my parents wall along with the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Orbit is still talked about today, referred to as Orbit the wonder dog. Able to read minds and preempt what you were about to do. Tracker and kangaroo rounder upper extroidinairre, he would also duck dive for massive sticks in ocean, river, lake or dam. He always Gazed at me with adoring eyes. I came to be HIS companion when I was walking past the local pound… Read more »

SheRat
SheRat
April 5, 2019 10:11 am

The synchronicity on this is nuts. I had lucid-ass dreams this (ahem) afternoon about a group of four cats that suddenly were my housemates and being particularly attached/connected to one of them…I kept lightly waking up and going back to sleep to be with them/see what was gonna happen–I have a very visceral memory of holding this partickler little guy and a huge heart crush. I wish dreams didn’t float away so fast–this MercR has been crazy with them and I know I should have been better keeping the dream journal.

baristagem
baristagem
April 5, 2019 9:25 am

“Anyone who has a cat will attest to their frequent intent gazing at things we cannot see.” Yes! I’m really lucky to have tuxedo Virgo cat who I happened to meet right after she was born. I took a picture of her while she heaped among the newly delivered litter. She is such a character & communicates with her impressive eyes. She often looks up at me but over my right shoulder. I lost my parents when I was little & wonder if she is seeing them? I kind of hope so. I also have a beautiful Leo man cat… Read more »

leah
leah
July 12, 2019 7:20 pm
Reply to  baristagem

Such a parallel story to me. My tuxedo fur baby is a virgo and she chose me. I was looking to adopt a tortoiseshell kitten at the SPCA but my tuxedo baby told me she wanted to come home with me so I took her home that very day. I later on adopted a male maine coone mix who is my lion. He protects the house while she sits on my lap.

Penelope Darling
Penelope Darling
April 5, 2019 8:59 am

Hmm, I often have a similar relationship to plants. I dream of certain plants in the garden, that we’re sitting together and communicating.

Sim oneness
Sim oneness
April 5, 2019 8:39 am

I was having lunch last week in the park and felt a tug at my hair, it was a crow.

April 5, 2019 7:46 am

Got to say I love everything about the bottom image. The colour I’ve been surrounding myself in for the past year and the ace of cups she holds which is my favourite tarot card. The top of her arm dropped with the fine mesh shawl. It’s all blissful.

Hermeswitch
Hermeswitch
April 5, 2019 6:09 am

My rabbits are my familiars. My 4yo little man is the downright spooky one but our big girl rabbit, who is only one, and sometimes either grumpy or like Eyeore is like a barometer of what the next vibe will be. She can predict excitement as well as hard work and even a pissed off mood. All in one day. As silent animals who cannot ask for affection, they are very good communicators. Luckily they are free range indoor only pets and their close proximity to us allows them to continually provide us with the most useful information. Like hopping… Read more »

Scorpio_Rising
Scorpio_Rising
April 5, 2019 5:26 am

I attract every feral cat within a 5-mile radius, plus stray dogs, birds, crows, and squirrels…not sure what the universe is trying to tell me.

maeve
maeve
April 5, 2019 6:50 am
Reply to  Scorpio_Rising

I seem to attract animals of all kinds too, i have a dog who is 19yld now but still acts like a puppy. There a very large grass hopper who is currently sheltering under a bamboo leaf out of the rain, a green fog who stops by every few days for a visit, a couple of kookaburras who come right to the back door and call out, a bat who likes to hang out in a tree near the back door. Cats drop by and wonder into the house, don’t know where they live, but it’s a couple of different… Read more »

Notreallyhere
Notreallyhere
April 5, 2019 7:12 am
Reply to  maeve

I too attract cats but they have upset me in the past so I’ve a cautious relationship with any cat. I had to cover up a dead patch of lawn last year due to neighbourhood cats using it as a toilet. The day after I put down the turf one of the cats left me a dead rat under the trampoline. I telepathically caught the message,
“That’s what I think of your lawn…bitch”.

I MUCH prefer my magpies, finch, wrens, honeyeaters, cockatoo, green frogs, geckos and skinks. They’re sweet and lovely. The cats round here though, are roughnuts…

crisannm
crisannm
April 8, 2019 10:22 pm
Reply to  Notreallyhere

Noooo!! Sweet human, that rat was a token of love. Cats bring dead animals as a sign of deep affection to those they love. @notreallyhere

Firewater
Firewater
July 27, 2019 3:34 pm
Reply to  crisannm

Or they think you are so inept at looking after yourself and have no hunting skills, they give you a pity rat. Here you go. You should be thankful I’m here or you’d starve…

Scorpio_Rising
Scorpio_Rising
April 5, 2019 7:36 am
Reply to  maeve

sounds like paradise

amazonalison
amazonalison
April 5, 2019 4:57 am

I have a small black dog who is without a doubt my familiar. For years, I called him my Little Bear, without knowing that my North Node in the seventh house sat on Polaris. He is my partner in life. I have the luxury of knowing his birth date (but not his time), and it turns out our Lilith’s are the same, so that does make for some interesting power struggles between the two of us, but also, we hate to be repressed in the same ways. On a funnier note, he has a Scorpio moon and is a sex… Read more »

JSNOW
JSNOW
April 5, 2019 4:29 am

I feel like The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina reflects a more modern, nuanced understanding of what a familiar is and can be. : )

Klaire
Klaire
April 5, 2019 6:59 am
Reply to  JSNOW

so tru!

April 5, 2019 2:34 am

I’ve thought long and hard about my familiar and have decided that it’s the hare. Not that I have a hare but it resonates perfectly. I’ve had my cats dogs horses etc who have all been utterly amazing especially my jack russell whom I bought as a puppy. A Pisces and the most amazing creature I could ever have wished for. But as my witching animal I call upon the Hare.

bosslady
bosslady
April 5, 2019 12:57 am

When I was in 2nd grade, a small black and white kitten followed me home from school, biting my ankles as I walked. My parents let me keep her! She finally wandered away when she was well over 20 years old, which is ancient for a cat. She was blind by then, very thin, and had swellings all over her body. She just walked off in the night and didn’t return. By then I was in my late 20s. In my early 30s, I had a strong yearning for a cat again, and a coworker knew someone who was looking… Read more »

April 5, 2019 8:06 am
Reply to  bosslady

There’s nothing like old friends. <3

SheRat
SheRat
April 5, 2019 10:06 am
Reply to  bosslady

Awww. This gives me hope that I’ll meet up with my little Man Iggy again someday. I am only getting over his death (5 years) in the sense that I’m thinking about getting another cat…but still can’t really bring myself to bear it. The tattoo I have of his image contains his ashes; so he’s deffo with me in that way, if not meandering about the milky way after being an indoor cat for so long. (Poor kid. Pounce ’em Iggsters!)

WizarDora
WizarDora
April 5, 2019 12:49 am

Should have known something was up when I was born; a black dog & black cat in the house.. I love all my pets feircely but the ones who come to me with longevity are never ar away, even in spirit.

I seem to be heckled a LOT this dark moon though by crows, even when I am driving..

South
South
April 4, 2019 11:55 pm

I was blessed with a beautiful cat, he made me dance through many “cat hoops” before he deigned to trust me… But once I passed his tests he was my brave and true “watch cat “ He would scream at 3am if someone entered my property and alert me! He would jump on my chest to disentangle me from those disgusting red eyed demons that would trap me in the astral if I wasn’t a smart traveller… He crossed over at 17 cradled in my arms from IBD, pancreatitis (he allowed me to check his blood sugar and inject him… Read more »

Jokerman
Jokerman
April 5, 2019 6:40 am
Reply to  South

The Crows got befuddled by Hooped Cats

SheRat
SheRat
April 5, 2019 10:17 am
Reply to  South

This made me cry. Feel for you, Gwendolyn. My little man died of FIP, Dec. 11, 2014, also in my arms; he was 19.

South
South
April 6, 2019 12:31 pm
Reply to  SheRat

Breaks our hearts

Grief is the price we pay for love…

To grieve over our fur-babies like we do shows how much they/we loved each other.

He is checking up on you all the time, and he will FLY over that rainbow bridge when he hears you have arrived!
Apparently the family has to wait upon the animals to say hello first

That brings me great joy

flashfire
flashfire
April 4, 2019 11:32 pm

Fabulous post, Mystic. And the picture at the top with the raven is wonderful.

Charley
Charley
April 4, 2019 10:27 pm

I adopted a black cat from a shelter in 2011, I don’t think I have had any other situation in my life that felt more meant to be. We’re obsessed with each other, I genuinely feel like her presence makes me stronger and our connection is not just human/pet. She is the greediest Taurus of all time though and would probably sell me for a flake of tuna!!

April 5, 2019 2:50 am
Reply to  Charley

Ha ha

SusanE
SusanE
April 4, 2019 8:44 pm

Totally agree with this. I had a large tabby as a girl, I felt so close to him whilst growing up, I was his favourite. He died when I was 17 and I was distraught. I’m now 38 and after not having a cat since then I’ve recently acquired one from a friend who is downsizing. He is my shadow, looks incredibly like my childhood cat and is such a big softie. He has helped me heal the scars I didn’t know I had from my previous cats’ departure and I’m so connected to him. We are both very happy!

April 4, 2019 10:37 pm
Reply to  SusanE

x

fishgirl
fishgirl
April 4, 2019 8:11 pm

My Sabrina was my familiar. She chose me and showed me so much. I will never, ever, ever forget that precious creature. I’m afraid to get another cat as i’ll always be comparing with her.

April 4, 2019 10:40 pm
Reply to  fishgirl

x.

Hel
Hel
April 4, 2019 7:45 pm

I cannot have a pet where i live now, so doves and crows come to my window. Doves are a bird of Venus fitting for a taurus, and i allways feed them on my windowsill. Crows are the birds of Saturn and ancestors, the best day of feeding them is Saturday, i do it every time i remember. Last time was in a dream, and it made us happy. I find their company so good.

LotusFlower
LotusFlower
April 5, 2019 9:36 am
Reply to  Hel

How do you feed a crow? I have crows, magpies, doves and the usual small birds, robin, bluetits etc come to my garden. I can’t keep animals either as I travel too much, but these I feed bread, an apple, seeds, sometimes bits of cheese if it’s going, at the same time ish every day. I also make a point of cleaning a big glass bowl of water for them. I love to catch sight of them bathing in it and look away like I didn’t notice – their modesty haha

LotusFlower
LotusFlower
April 5, 2019 9:38 am
Reply to  Hel

There’s also a little mouse obvs who lives under a wooden planter. It’s strange but for me caring for these wild animals feels like I’m caring for the ancestors – laying out daily offerings

Jacqui
Jacqui
April 4, 2019 6:30 pm

Two crows were checking me out today, we had a nice chat. I like saying, “I see you!”. Auspicious? I’ll wait and see, wish I could remember what I was thinking about before I saw them.

April 4, 2019 6:26 pm

Yes yes and yes

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
April 4, 2019 5:37 pm

i got my beautiful tabby Princess after Mystics recommendation. sun conjunct bast.
ive been sober ever since….
adore her, dont know what took me so long….love it when she watches things i cant see…

sphinx
sphinx
April 4, 2019 4:48 pm

I knew a ‘familiar’ dog. She was a village shaman and protected a young addict. When he passed out at the tide’s edge, she would attempt to drag him up the beach, barking and nipping at him to awaken. When he dangled on the precipice of overdose she would force her way into the room and attempt to remove him. And when he sadly was arrested, she chose to live with my friends and I, for which I was grateful. When a local demon in the form of a rapist approached as I sunbathed, she saw his energy field from… Read more »

Jokerman
Jokerman
April 4, 2019 5:15 pm
Reply to  sphinx

What a great dog.

Squared Virgo
Squared Virgo
April 4, 2019 6:57 pm
Reply to  sphinx

Apparently, (black) dogs used to be a thing for witches, before they somehow were “replaced” by cats (at last in the Western witchology?). Hecate is announced by dogs, a yellow dog accompanies the Death in some South-American myths, the dog as gate keeper between the worlds. I cannot remember all the details abot dogs as familiars right now, but I know in Barbara Walker’s “Encyclopedia” (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/647115.The_Woman_s_Encyclopedia_of_Myths_and_Secrets ) is more deailed information on this. However, I love meeting familiars, may it be wild ones in the woods or a familiar animal soul on the streets, at a friend’s house….

April 4, 2019 7:22 pm
Reply to  Squared Virgo

Thanks Squared Virgo. I had a big stray black Labrapoodle turn up at 2/am the other nite when I was awake. He/she sat in my driveway like he was protecting me and my dwelling
It did feel good.

Squared Virgo
Squared Virgo
April 4, 2019 8:08 pm

how beautiful!

flashfire
flashfire
April 4, 2019 11:29 pm
Reply to  sphinx

What a beautifully told story sphinx. Magical. Thank you for sharing it.
I too have a black dog familiar who now guards me from the other side and yes, she is always in my heart.

bird
bird
April 5, 2019 7:36 am
Reply to  flashfire

Me too. She was/is wonderful. And now I have a big white dog who is pure, unadulterated love, embodied. She even has a big black love heart marking on the end of her nose.

April 4, 2019 4:08 pm

I thought all those cat pictures were leading up to something? Yes familiars.

I have got my eye on fostering a black cat. Thanks for prompting me.

Would you believe that shelters find it hard to adopt black cats. Muggles are scared of them.

LaFemma
LaFemma
April 5, 2019 12:43 am

My partner (who has some 8th house and neptune energy) was shocked that people don’t like to adopt black cats, as he specifically adopted a black cat who he spoils the heck out of. It took the cat about a year to adjust to me, my son, and our rescue dog (also black) but now we are a weird little family and I trust they have our backs. Dogs and cats know when you’ve saved them but as they say they’re the ones who save us.

April 5, 2019 2:53 am
Reply to  LaFemma

So true.

sphinx
sphinx
April 5, 2019 8:28 am
Reply to  LaFemma

Apparently young people won’t adopt black pets as they don’t show up well on instagram photos…

April 5, 2019 9:16 pm
Reply to  sphinx

Oh for fuqs sake.

Star
Star
July 9, 2019 10:48 am

I found a black cat starving death that approached me at my dinner table at the outdoor restaurant at this quiet hotel I stayed at in Cabo. No one would feed her. So I did. Everynight. By day 4, I had changed my flights, paid for extra nights had the hotel get her when she came back. And I brought her home where she lived like a little queen for the rest of her life. 16 more years than she was. She was a skeleton and people just kicked her away or complained to the hotel staff. She was so… Read more »