Mary Oliver Had Sun Conjunct Neptune

The news about the poet Mary Oliver reminds me of the old astrological axiom that great souls pass on during Eclipse seasons.

The Uses of Sorrow

(In my sleep I dreamed this poem)

Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness.

It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift.

Mary Oliver

Sun Conjunct Neptune Is Auto-Shamanic

She was Sun-Neptune Conjunct, a Virgo and clearly a classic Haute Neptunian.

FYI

Sun Conjunct Neptune

They’re an Outer Planet person for reals. When the Sun is aligned with Neptune, the person’s self-actualization and identify is inevitably aligned with a broader consciousness. It’s the Auto-Shamanic position. Susan Sarandon has this. So did Carrie Fisher. They’re higher powered or just high all the time. They need to beware coarse substances, people and places. Eg; drugs, Qi Vampires who want some of the Sun-Neptune glamor and spiritual connection without having to do the work. They can freak out in synthetic environments such as malls. Having the Sun conjunct Neptune makes people magic. Ada Lovelace, the “Enchantress of Numbers” who helped invent the first computer, was Sun-Neptune.

But they need to be mindful of their personal energies. Caroline Knapp – author of the groundbreaking sobriety memoir Drinking – A Love Story – was Sun-Neptune. Sometimes their urge to escape the Saturnine bounds of reality becomes so strong that they either succumb or turn their struggle into awe-inspiring art and guidance for others. Marie Kondo, the decluttering maven, is Sun-Neptune. Instilling order and embracing minimalism is an elegant way of channeling the Neptune energy. But unless there are strong influences from other astral energies, these people are better at reading auras than they are Profit and Loss statements.  Frida Kahlo was also Sun-Neptune: “don’t mind me, I come from another planet, I see horizons where you see borders.”

From Astral DNA

She was also in the same Soul Pod as Rudolph Steiner, Goethe, Tamara De Lempicka, Anne Boleyn, and Eminem.

Thoughts?

Image: Darren Waterston – To Meet As Far As This Morning

So Mutable It Hurts
So Mutable It Hurts
January 20, 2019 5:36 am

Krista Tippett did a great interview with Mary Oliver for her On Being podcast.

Gemyogi
Gemyogi
January 19, 2019 6:47 pm

I only discovered Mary Oliver a couple of years ago, her poems are beautiful, simple and cut to the heart of things. I’m pretty sure I bought Red Bird a while ago, but just had a quick look and I can’t find it! I have the feeling she had a good and satisfying life.

Now I feel like reading poetry…

Calidor
Calidor
January 19, 2019 10:08 am

I’m a Sun conjunct Neptune (plus conjunct Pallas) also. Agree with all of the above. Hard to explain but I can sometimes turn my naivety about everyone being sweet good people off and can sense that some people are behaving evilly or thinking evil thoughts. This is quite awkward when one person is a family member. But is quite amazing when what I saw or felt is vindicated decades later.

January 19, 2019 10:23 am
Reply to  Calidor

Is this that “uncomfortable” feeling you get around someone although you don’t know why, like you just think it’s someone whose personality is abrasive or they rub you the wrong way? I feel this way around certain people, is this the types of feeling you get around those people you describe?

Calidor
Calidor
January 19, 2019 1:13 pm
Reply to  A'NLEIFR

Yes. I also feel as though I’m on guard and I notice, even if we’re in a room full on others, where they are and if they’re moving around.

bird

Trust those feelings!

January 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Reply to  bird

Jacqui
Jacqui
January 19, 2019 9:59 am

My Neptune is exactly opposite my Sun, so I see mirages of this but fall deep into this wordsmith’s well

Anni
Anni
January 19, 2019 9:48 am

Thank you for the post on Mary, Mystic. When I heard the news, I burst into tears. I have only just packed all of her poetry books as I’m moving. As I did, I wondered how she was. Mary, through her poetry and essays, has been a good companion for more than a couple of decades. We have lost a great Soul and friend of the earth. I’d attached one of her poems to the fridge to help with the move. I have to let go of a lot of things that give me joy so I can move easily.… Read more »

gbs
gbs
January 19, 2019 9:45 am

As another person with Sun conjunct Neptune, I fully recognize the woozy, self-deluding, love zombie side to Neptune, but it’s nice to be reminded of the haute expression of the planet. I love this poem of Mary Oliver’s: Don’t Hesitate If you suddenly and unexpectedly feel joy, don’t hesitate. Give in to it. There are plenty of lives and whole towns destroyed or about to be. We are not wise, and not very often kind. And much can never be redeemed. Still, life has some possibility left. Perhaps this is its way of fighting back, that sometimes something happened better… Read more »

annafras
annafras
January 19, 2019 8:31 am

Reading this as I’m on the 29 leaving SFSU where I had some super south node biz. Mary Oliver was my teacher there in the late 90’s. Just WOW.

S
S
January 19, 2019 7:48 am

I’m Sun conjunct Mercury and I adore wordsmiths. Thank you for this post. Vale Mary Oliver.

BLISS WITCH
BLISS WITCH
January 19, 2019 7:28 am

I’m Sun conjunct Neptune as well. I dream about water, swimming, the ocean, rivers, almost every night.

I’m not a water sign woman, but I always read myself as The Queen of Cups in the tarot. I think when you’re Sun conjunct Neptune you get to be the Queen of Cups.

Pegasus
Pegasus
January 19, 2019 9:54 am
Reply to  BLISS WITCH

Am Moon conjunct Neptune and also have water dreams (alas not wet dreams), and last night was swimming and it was a smooth heavenly experience.
Believe Sunday-Monday’s eclipse is a blood moon!

January 19, 2019 6:17 am

I thought this was interesting about her: “Oliver met Molly Malone Cook, a photographer, in the 1950s; the two were partners for more than forty years, making a life together in the longtime gay haven of Provincetown, MA where Cook worked as Oliver’s literary agent. Cook passed away in 2005; asked how she dealt with her partner’s death, Oliver answered simply, “I was very, very lonely.” Even when Molly got ill, I knew what to do. They wanted to take her off to a nursing home, and I said, “Absolutely not.” I took her home. That kind of thing is… Read more »

January 19, 2019 5:06 am

I just checked and never realized before but I have this, I have a natal Sun conjunct Neptune in Sagittarius in the 11th house. I will have to study up on this!

embarkons7
embarkons7
January 19, 2019 4:36 am

Gorgeous post–and so glad to get the news about Mary Oliver from here.

For NYC Mystic peeps, there’s a major exhibit of her stuff coming up: https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/frida_kahlo

xx

Porkchop
Porkchop
January 19, 2019 12:40 am

I have Sun conjunct Neptune too. In Sag in the 7th house. I am a love zombie and haven’t been able to get my act together to finish my writing project, even though it could be pretty awesome. Currently am reading Gay Hendricks’s “The Big Leap” to see how I can break through my upper limit problem.

January 19, 2019 5:18 am
Reply to  Porkchop

I too, battle being a Love Zombie. I have Saturn transiting my 12th so my boundaries and discipline have been out of whack.. probably never thought you’d hear anyone say this but I NEED my Saturn back!!!!!

Porkchop
Porkchop
January 19, 2019 8:54 am
Reply to  A'NLEIFR

How long till Saturn starts transiting your 1st house?

BLISS WITCH
BLISS WITCH
January 19, 2019 5:22 am
Reply to  Porkchop

What degrees are your Sun/Neptune? This Neptune sq is a doozy!

January 19, 2019 6:01 am
Reply to  BLISS WITCH

Mine is Sun conjunct Neptune in Sag at 8°59’, Separating. 11th house.

Porkchop
Porkchop
January 19, 2019 8:54 am
Reply to  BLISS WITCH

My Sun and Neptune are both at 20 degrees. They are both square Saturn in the 5th, which I haven’t been able to harness yet. I have been experimenting with getting up at 4.30am to work on my goals.

BLISS WITCH
BLISS WITCH
January 19, 2019 5:57 pm
Reply to  Porkchop

I’ve got Uranus at 17 and Venus at 21, and I can feel the Neptune Square already. Do you have The Gods of Change by Howard Sasportas?

Porkchop
Porkchop
January 25, 2019 7:29 pm
Reply to  BLISS WITCH

Yes, I do have The Gods of Change! Although I haven’t flipped through it or any of my other astrology books for some time… What do you think that transit will mean for you? I had Pluto transiting my Cap Venus in the 8th for a while until recently and nothing happened with my love life (which suits me just fine!!!). Perhaps it was more about values changes for me…