What Is The Shadow Of The Eclipse?

Child witch on broom with cat. Drawing by Leonor Fini.

Astrology And Eclipses

Hi Mystic,

My super-huge personality (Gem Sun, Leo rising, Scorp Moon) dad died very suddenly in 1999 right between the eclipses of July and August that year.

We’re heading to that same point again this year – almost the same dates and same degrees.

I should be more scared, perhaps.  But I am feeling more intrigued and even excited as to what might happen between those dates

Is ‘between eclipses’ like some portal and does it have to be about loss or could new things…people…men?…come in as well as get eclipsed out?

Thanks

LibraLilith

Hi LibraLilith,

The zone leading up to and between two Eclipses – or three, as is the case this July and August – is traditionally called the Shadow of the Eclipse.  That very term evokes scary optics.  It sounds insanely foreboding and Dark Ageist.

So there is a belief that Kings/Queens topple or rise during Eclipses. Then again, your classic medieval strategist would probably schedule their coups around the Eclipses as the standard operating procedure. Eclipses often feel almost synchronized with stronger news days. More s**t seems to go down in these times of the year.

I think there is a lot of overwrought and self-important rot written about Astrology and Eclipses. These are frequent astrological events. They are more intense New Moons and Full Moons. When they ping off a point that is a focal point of your natal energies, they catalyze your self-actualization. Or jolt a complacent situation in your life. And when they are in aspect to an Outer Planet (Pluto in the case of the New Moon Eclipse this week), the intensity is off the psychic Richter scale.

There are also correlations with previous eclipses.  The 1999 one links to this one and eclipses go in 19-year cycles, like the Nodes.  If you are receptive, you can make the connections across time.

But they’re not super-freaky and rare events, as such.

However, there is something spooky about the shadow of the Eclipse. I have recently realized that i compulsively doodle pentagrams during the Eclipse Zone. Like I look down at my note pad and see that have filled a page with them. My phone jumps to things i did not search. Yesterday it spontaneously image-searched Sekhmet.

Omens are stronger at this time. I saw six silver balls lined up in the grass at a park, with nobody in sight. Two huge black ravens were hovering over them.

In summary, the synchronicity, magic, and omen matrix is activated. If you’re woke to that, the Eclipse Zone is a fantastic opportunity to self-actualize and up your connection to Source Vibe. But don’t take stupid risks or mix it up with low-end Muggle energy at this time. Energy Vampires and Chaos Addicts are also extra potent during the shadow of the eclipse.

Thoughts?

Image: Leonor Fini

Eliz
Eliz
July 13, 2018 6:32 am

i just noticed that my natal chiron is at 21 degrees cancer. pretty sure thats the exact degree of the lunar ecplise in cancer! Whats that mean ?!

AriesPiscesLibra
AriesPiscesLibra
July 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Last night I finally did the Mars Retro reading recommended here using the Thoth deck that’s been stripping me of all delusion. 7 of Wands as what’s working against, Valour. I thought of Nebuchadnezzar and wrote it down phonetically (Nebakennezer?) on the top margin of my notebook, not sure where that zap came from, but figured I’d look it up later. Did tonight. Babylonian ruler of lore. Also, dreams as omens. A ghost of a man I love zombied for a year came up as “someone you may know” on facebook. I’m meeting briefly with the King of Pentacles tomorrow,… Read more »

Saoirse Kirke
Saoirse Kirke
July 12, 2018 7:16 am

I came here because I was incredibly fed up with my astrology feed and what felt like eclipse clickbait. Every year since the beginning of the earth. How could I know I’d find solace in you, Mystic? The thing about the powers that be is they know a good show. I’ve lost my innocence maybe, or maybe every day is a portal of transformation for me. Maybe it’s cynicism, maybe it’s my Pluto in the first house opposing a moonwobble balsamic moon in my natal. Maybe it’s the wine. Unrelated I saw graffiti that said PUCA and thought of that… Read more »

Saoirse Kirke
Saoirse Kirke
July 12, 2018 6:55 pm

“if you build an amazing website with insightful nuanced astro, they will come.”

embarkons7
embarkons7
July 11, 2018 8:28 am

Here’s a rad example of the portentous view of eclipses from Gloucester in Shakespeare’s King Lear (1606): “These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend no good to us: though the wisdom of nature can reason it thus and thus, yet nature finds itself scourged by the sequent effects: love cools, friendship falls off, brothers divide: in cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in palaces, treason; and the bond cracked ‘twixt son and father. This villain of mine comes under the prediction; there’s son against father: the king falls from bias of nature; there’s father against child. We have seen… Read more »

Alouetta
Alouetta
July 11, 2018 7:23 am

This eclipse is opposing my Lilith (Pluto is sitting on it). I don’t really understand how Lilith plays out in my life so hopefully this will be illuminating.

Caroline B
Caroline B
July 11, 2018 7:16 am

Blessings LibraLilith

LibraLilith
LibraLilith
July 11, 2018 5:14 am

Strange that you mentioned Sekhmet, had a dream about my dad and Sekhmet last year and have been musing on her since.
Sadly (and feline related) my gorgeous gemini moggy got eclipsed out of my life yesterday by a car. He was a sweetheart, I’m gutted.
Definitely feels like a time of omens, that really resonates – keeping eyes open and noting but not acting right now.

dizzarina
dizzarina
July 11, 2018 9:42 am
Reply to  LibraLilith

So sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet friend.

PlutoMoon
PlutoMoon
July 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Dreams are weirding me out. Truth is bubbling to the surface via dream messengers. All good stuff in the end but, wow, cathartic. And “eye-opening” lol. Not getting enough sleep but, wow, definitely getting some good Source Data to help with the leveling up.

SheRat
SheRat
July 11, 2018 5:13 am
Reply to  PlutoMoon

same same…I slept til the afternoon today because the dreams were so vivid and long-winding, I figured I shouldn’t interrupt…it was one of those things where I would wake up and go, nah…I’m gonna jump back into that…and promptly did so.

Centaurus
Centaurus
July 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Foreign side of town house and animal sitting for a week and several days in. Walking to the garage to get in my car this morning I was struck with a deja vu. I’d already done this. This exact moment was a repeat. The recollection was incredibly strong and clear but also brief. It was like being struck by lightning (again) without the zap and jarring, just clarity and then back in the now. I am reflecting on how much this happens to me. So striking in the moment and then it fades into the day to day and becomes… Read more »

MissDee
MissDee
July 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Three days ago (Saturday) I was going to buy a present for my mum (Kataka Sun and Leo Moon, turning 73 tomorrow) and while driving there I got struck by a memory: there was a perfumerie right there where once I bought what has been one for my fav perfumes of all times. Very expensive, voluptuous but most of all I liked it so much I finished the whole bottle. So I entered the perfumerie and looked for the perfume but the shop owner said she wasn’t selling it anymore. I looked around and she came to me and said… Read more »

July 10, 2018 6:17 pm
Reply to  MissDee

I adore your “humungous post”! Perfume should be beautiful and transporting, and delicious for the soul. I love your tale, honestly and well told. That is the essence of perfume, the creation and remembrance of a full narrative. Thanks, love xoxo

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
July 10, 2018 7:14 pm
Reply to  MissDee

yes i loved this too. fed my soul somehow x

PlutoMoon
PlutoMoon
July 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Reply to  MissDee

Pluto is transiting your 5th, right? 🙂 Allow allow allow… <3

MissDee
MissDee
July 11, 2018 12:07 am
Reply to  PlutoMoon

PlutoMoon: Pluto is in my 5th and trine my Moon in Taurus 🙂

Alouetta
Alouetta
July 10, 2018 10:09 pm
Reply to  MissDee

I feel really happy for you!

Incense
Incense
July 11, 2018 1:20 am
Reply to  MissDee

Perfume is a magic all its own. The notes have their own magical correspondences, and the feelings it can evoke in you – each perfume bringing a different headspace or mood – will come back to you each time you smell it, making it a great way to re-access feelings/mood/confidence/happiness of prior days.

I’m so happy that you seem to be about to re-access something wonderful that you lost along the way.

dark star
dark star
July 11, 2018 1:08 pm

It would be SO cool to have a natal chart scent custom made by a nose+astrologer colab

dark star
dark star
July 11, 2018 1:11 pm
Reply to  dark star

W oils for transits 😉

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
July 10, 2018 5:46 pm

just realised this new moon eclipse will b trining my sun…wowsers…maybe…lol

dizzarina
dizzarina
July 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Omen matrix definitely activated. Today my love and I took his dogs to the magical woods near his place. We turned a corner, and clear and still in the overcast light was a large owl. It was perched in the very lowest branch of a tree, facing us. It eyed the clueless rambling dogs, but didn’t move from the branch for a long time, as we stood, spellbound. When it flew away, it was silent and majestic. I had never seen one in person before. He even said, that felt like an omen. Also, regarding 1999: I had no idea… Read more »

dizzarina
dizzarina
July 10, 2018 5:37 pm
Reply to  dizzarina

OK, and, the July 1999 eclipse was ON my Asc/Dsc line. Makes sense

July 10, 2018 6:25 pm
Reply to  dizzarina

First time seeing an owl! Lovely and precious. Have loved them since a young girl. Seen a few but it IS rare. Lucky both of you! They do keep still when they see dogs, and it is amazing the sensitive dogs have no clue. Truly special birds and you are blessed xx

dizzarina
dizzarina
July 11, 2018 9:46 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

Thank you milleunanotte, I feel it!

dark star
dark star
July 10, 2018 6:38 pm
Reply to  dizzarina

Messenger owl from magical otherworld!

dizzarina
dizzarina
July 11, 2018 9:47 am
Reply to  dark star

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
July 10, 2018 9:16 pm
Reply to  dizzarina

Oh wow…someone close to me has recently had an owl take up residence under the eaves of her home. She’s recently experienced some painful transition/losses. She is finding real comfort in this.

dark star
dark star
July 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Saturday was the most surreal night. Eclipse energy is not playin’ and neither am I 😉

rachel
rachel
July 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Art cred? Love it!

Jacqui
Jacqui
July 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Yes to the wonderful crows. I was entering work through the leafy gate when I heard a crow and thought wow that’s a good omen for today and then the next day I saw two but one followed me in, then following me in further hopping from perch to perch until I greeted it with “Thank you I see you”. I enjoy full moons and can feel the same exciting intensity with eclipses but ramped up a notch or six

Centaurus
Centaurus
July 10, 2018 9:29 pm
Reply to  Jacqui

‘thank you – I see you’ <3

I am reminded of a statement told to me from someone from Africa.. ay impala (same meaning – spelling probs not correct) as an acknowledgement to someone speaking | sharing. Cannot recreate the context here other than to say was a validation of hearing the 'other' express themselves.

Pin It on Pinterest