Big Commitments As Uranus Changes Sign?

plant art showing roots below the surface as well as above ground

Is it a good idea to make big commitments as Uranus changes sign? There are actually ‘rules’ for this and other astrological phenomena.

Hi Mystic,

Thanks for all your work on this Transition Zone! I was curious about whether there’s conventional wisdom out there about making commitments at the time Uranus Changes Sign. As an Aries Sun with Aquarius Moon, I am feeling it. Bring on ALL the change & intensity (as always).

I’m about to get engaged — cryptically discussing rings & plans with my Leo Rising / Aqua Sun / Pisces Moon man last night. This is after a five-year relationship that’s persisted over multiple continents, master’s degrees, and living arrangements. I feel good about it. But I am curious if, like during Mercury Retro, the school of thought around Uranus changing sign is that it’s not the season in which one ought to make life-long commitments? The Seven-year itch (or as you pointed out the seven-year Witch!) and all that?

In much the same way that hysteria around Mercury retro seems to have taken on a life of its own, I’m prepared to dismiss the cautionary tales out there when it comes to commitments and Uranus. But I was curious if this is indeed A Thing — especially since I’m sure I’m not the only one finding herself organically arriving at big life moves right in the middle of the Transition.

Thanks as always for your patented erudite hot takes!

Feeling that Witch-Warrior-Destiny vibe

Witch-Warrior-Destiny Vibing

It is an excellent question!  These are the archetypal, old-school Mercury, Venus and Mars Retrograde cautionary ‘rules.’

Mercury Retro: Don’t sign contracts, especially around commerce, currency, and publishing or academia.

Venus Retro: Don’t make marriage commitments or get elective/cosmetic surgery.

Mars Retro: Don’t start wars, litigation or enterprises of a martial nature.

All the Retrogrades are on the Moon Calendar for years so you can plan when you’re in that mode.

Uranus changing signs is much rarer than a retrograde. It’s not the time to make a commitment that springs from a defeatist or compromising mindset. Opportunities and sudden rogue surges of reinvigorating inspiration occur during Transition Zones like this.

And Uranus at Zero Taurus is a beautiful moment to plant seeds for things that you want to take root, thrive and be durable over time — marrying someone on the grounds of pheromonal chemistry during a yoga class? No. Impulse fast-money investments? No.  But to affirm the bond established over the last five years through all that velocity, yes!  And this is a shift-up, you’re transitioning the relationship.

Suggestion: Make the rings from a weird, beautiful and non-trad metal such as palladium.  And the wedding gifts have to be trees or wilderness themed? You sound like a Uranian couple – Uranus is changing sign, and you’re changing mode. Perfect!

What does everyone else think?

Image: Diana Ashdown

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
May 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Not sure where to put today’s Uranus musings so will drop them in here, in case anyone is still reading. I suppose my ‘commitment’ is shaping up to be more a symbolic one as I seem to be getting reacquainted with my 14yo self. She is speaking to me very clearly at the moment about what she wants and how we are going to live together, moving forward. I’ve been thinking a lot about some of the really radical and brave things she did to get herself noticed in key creative areas back then and wondering what the hell happened… Read more »

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
May 21, 2018 3:36 pm

OH thank you for finding this, I vaguely remembered that age 14 and Uranus was a thing but couldn’t recall what it was x

May 18, 2018 5:32 am

My engagement ring to aqua sun chap is three blue topaz stones in palladium It’s very very special

Nike Vk
Nike Vk
May 18, 2018 8:14 am
Reply to  emg

Is palladium safe?

May 18, 2018 3:54 pm
Reply to  Nike Vk

Yes Lots of use in jewellery these days

Akeber
Akeber
May 18, 2018 5:23 am

Me and my Sag/Scorpio boyfriend are taking things to the next level by renovating old country house this summer. I am amazed how much our relationship has grown just by being in the nature together and doing lots of physical heavy work. Blessing times. Both of our Uranus is in the 4th house. Day by Day we break every old layer down to build new, in the house and in our psyche

Tessa jones
Tessa jones
May 18, 2018 12:33 am

Her question isn’t answered until you see which house Taurus rules (10th House) and how this transit affects her. If Uranus is transiting your 7th house then even if you are in a long term relationship, Uranus in the 7th can be disruptive for marriage, though great if you’re single as you meet interesting people who may come and go, not necessarily stay. So, assuming her MC and 10th House is Taurus, a change in social status/public image is in the cards with Uranus. Uranus changes the status quo, so when in the 10th house someone’s status changes for better… Read more »

Lili
Lili
May 17, 2018 9:03 pm

I now commune with our plants- Japanese maple especially. Grieved cutting the grass but left bees lots of clover.

Our neighbors all have velvet green lawns- thanks to lavishly applied toxins. Ours is more meadow and barely trimmed to keep the inspector away. Especially happy about purple carpet near our black walnut which is untouched. I can hear the gnashing of teeth. LOL!

Lili
Lili
May 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Uranus in Toro=freedom in claiming ground, settling, affirming identity, values. “This is Us”. Grand time for revolutionary traditions- not tweaks but profound redos.

As above so below.

As Uranus left Aries, these last days, I learned of: several house fires due to glitchy electro, bizarre car crashes- many after police chases. Chez moi, crockery flung itself to the floor repeatedly. I always reckon that’s my mum saying hi.

Uranus in Toro is mindful upgrade- staying as is will result in chaos as the fixed signs press in.

May 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Oh palladium ” It is a rare and lustrous silvery-white metal discovered in 1803 by William Hyde Wollaston. He named it after the asteroid Pallas, which was itself named after the epithet of the Greek goddess Athena, acquired by her when she slew Pallas” Wikipedia. Must have some…stat

May 17, 2018 6:22 pm
Reply to  JacQui

Actually it’s the colour of my car “silver palladium” I was obsessed with it for months when I got it, melting point boiling point the whole shebang

May 17, 2018 11:30 pm
Reply to  JacQui

Or Imodium? Trying Diatomaceous Earth worth a look 🙂

May 17, 2018 11:31 pm
Reply to  JacQui

Damn auto correct *iridium

May 19, 2018 6:07 pm
Reply to  JacQui

Hahhhhahahahhaah! Or “diarrhoea after pharmaceutically induced constipation” 😛

Would love to read car manufacterer’s PR notes on that one.

Pegasus
Pegasus
May 18, 2018 10:51 am
Reply to  JacQui

Imodium….hahahaha.
How earthy can you get!

May 19, 2018 6:11 pm
Reply to  Pegasus

Bit of a Sag laugh-in here! Sorry if we just talked crap, love! xx

Jokerman
Jokerman
May 18, 2018 9:15 am
Reply to  JacQui

Silver cars can’t be seen in the rain.
They become part of the ‘greygue de monge’

May 18, 2018 9:48 am
Reply to  Jokerman

its a little lighter than the disappearing charcoal but I use park lights as a minimum 🙂

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
May 18, 2018 11:59 am
Reply to  JacQui

You must have a Benz, then – Palladium Silver or Iridium Silver are two of their signature colors. I’m fond of the naming scheme they use for their paints which includes other such highlights like “Selenite Grey” or “Obsidian Black”. I remember back in the day (we’re talking late 90’s) seeing a Magma Red SL500 drive by with the top down and it turned my head like a man watching a gorgeous redhead strut down the street, LOL – Mercedes has always had fine appreciation for aesthetics.

May 19, 2018 6:12 pm

And a really heavy pedal, which is not aesthetically pleasing for the foot (love Pisces) 🙂 xx

SekhmetRising
SekhmetRising
May 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Relationship upgrade happening on my end as well. We’ve been together for 5.5 years and living long distance for more than half of this time while he went back to school, I had big job changes, family adversities unfolded, etc. Our locations are changing again NOT according to plan and I will need to change jobs and possibly industries, but life is leading us to the place we both wanted to settle. We intended to get married at the outset of all of this shifting around 3.5 years ago, but had to pause. Now talks are resuming. My Peter Pan… Read more »

Alouetta
Alouetta
May 17, 2018 8:37 pm
Reply to  SekhmetRising

Wow, that’s amazing! I’m talking about the transition to adulthood your partner is demonstrating. Here’s to more relationships like that.

SekhmetRising
SekhmetRising
May 18, 2018 12:13 pm
Reply to  Alouetta

It is amazing and it has also been a real, long trek. I hoped we would make it this far and haven’t always been sure what kept us together. We haven’t met any of the normal life milestones at the right times. It will be interesting to find out what happens.

May 19, 2018 6:23 pm
Reply to  SekhmetRising

Not only is that amazing to read of your lover, i suddenly flashed back to mine in similar circumstances (i had already married him, alas, not realising he organised the wedding to coincide with his stop of student loans etc)

Sounds affirming after all this time Could I mention to check the fine print? If he is making these decisions because of you, rather than himself, even though that looks like great progress right now, if you were ever in need or incapacitated briefly, could he hold it together for you both as well as you can?

SekhmetRising
SekhmetRising
May 21, 2018 6:54 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

That’s a very good question. In all honesty, I am not sure.Thank you for putting that forward – I will further consider and investigate.

Kathy
Kathy
May 17, 2018 2:00 pm

I am obsessed with planting trees at the moment. Big trees. Trees that will last for hundreds of years. I yearn for Autumn colour. I have also been in discussions for almost 2 years now to buy an old local church to turn it into an arts centre. And in the past few weeks the Diocese has announced that it will be selling off a lot of churches, and ‘mine’ is one of them. I am hoping these earth/art projects will be favoured with the Uranus roll-on. I’m planning for the long term!

Lotus A
Lotus A
May 17, 2018 8:36 pm
Reply to  Kathy

How wonderful!

TripleL
TripleL
May 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Yes to Palladium, named after Pallas, atomic number 46 (4+6=10=1). Or other in same family, e.g., Ruthenium, Platinum, Iridium [with repeating (powerful angel) atomic numbers – 22, 44, 77].

May 18, 2018 9:51 am
Reply to  TripleL

I am see lots lately, even the number plate YOD 111

motherofunicorns
motherofunicorns
May 17, 2018 1:20 pm
libralady
libralady
May 17, 2018 12:57 pm

A Uranian Romeo & Juliet with a grounded future!!

May 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Oh my heart! Yes! Uranus in Toro–positive evolution!