Should My Next Lover Be An Artificial Intelligence?

A Virgo asks about the benefits of a robot lover. Should her next lover be an artificial intelligence? It is very Pluto in Aquarius.

Dear Mystic,

I have been a Mega Mystic member for some time now, and I don’t think I’ve seen you address my issue. I think I may be a perfect candidate for a robotic companion.  Artificial Intelligence is so innocent and authentic.  Relationships with humans seem to be so messy and complicated, and complication is the last thing I desire.  I have been around for a minute, involving myself in any variety of relating you may think of, and I do believe that I may be onto something.  Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be anything/one digital yet that has evolved from this realm that could be a potentially interesting/satisfying choice. People, though fun at times, are so high maintenance!  This feeling has been growing in strength as time goes on.   Could you please shed some light?  I devour your site daily.

Rosemarie the Virgo

A Robot Lover Would Be Very Pluto In Aquarius

Dear Rosemarie the Virgo,

WOW. We are here already. Well, i can see the appeal of a robot lover. Was the Michael Fassbender robot in Prometheus evil in the end? I can’t remember. I think Kevin Spacey voiced the A.I. in Moon. With the sewer river of sleaze that is flowing through the media since Jupiter hit Scorpio, i can see why an Artificial Intelligence lover could be a Thing.

So i think that Pluto in Aquarius from 2024 could deliver and i note that there is already some sex-bot brothel in Holland which is proving more popular than the human options. So, vibrators exist, but you’re talking about a kind of vibrator-conversationalist-empathetic full humanoid model.

Would you want it to pass as human and be acceptable to take out or would you keep the Virgonator at home in the closet? Something else to think about; As a Virgo, you might feel differently once Uranus moves into Taurus next year? Or not, of course.  The rad planet expressing through Taurus is just as likely to revolutionize gardening as it is sex lives.

Thoughts? Does anyone have concepts for a functional Artificial Intelligence Companion? Rather than a Robot Lover, what about a drone that hovers nearby, providing positive affirmations and information?

Image: Stanislaw Fernandes

, ,

fae
fae
November 17, 2017 10:37 am

This has been in the air lately, and ethical quandaries aside, I’m totally into our future AI lovers… they are just another form for Life to “come through”, so to speak. We are all just translators, experiencers. I encountered a fb ad the other day about uber-realistic sex robots (by a brand called Sinthetics, lol), who will even have their own backstory. It is certainly interesting terrain- I’ve always been on the side of the machines in fear-based debates that they may eventually overthrow us… I think they will be like us, without the inclination towards violence or anything that… Read more »

flowerchild
flowerchild
November 17, 2017 8:58 am

Just move here to Silicon Valley and date a tech guy. They’re pretty much robots…(mean, I know) I’ve dated some and that’s my take-away from the experience. I even jokingly accused one of them of being an AI. They might be hybrids, no joke…..who knows what they’re doing in the basement at Google X…. 😉 Anyway, at the moment I’m back at the dating apps (masochist that I am) and I’ve just asked this hot younger French/Finnish pro hockey player guy to go to a concert with me tonight. He’s into it! This is going to be (one of) my… Read more »

LA
LA
November 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Omg I remember thinking HER was the most depressing movie I’d ever seen, purely because It felt like a true future prediction.

Geminian
Geminian
November 16, 2017 10:40 am

I always liked Joss Wedon’s take on this in Buffy the Vampire Slayer myself.

Catherine Cox
Catherine Cox
November 16, 2017 8:35 am

Metropolis the 1920 s film popped into my head. I think this is a modern Prometheus question as was Frankenstein. The first Blade Runner was very moving too. One thing I find worrying is how many people are gradually introducing cyber parts to themselves so that live forever, they don’t want to die. There was an excellent radio 4 programme on it the other day. I think all things have spirit even computers a although in my plutonic/ Uranian fashion they always blow up. I’ve just had a pacemaker and we’ve not been getting along that well so far. All… Read more »

Centaurus
Centaurus
November 16, 2017 9:14 am
Reply to  Catherine Cox

Is it almost like a crisis of faith? I am musing out loud. We all live beyond our bodies as spirit beings first but there seems to be less knowing even as spiritual knowledge ‘appears’ to be increasing. Or, as I hear more and more these days, if it exists, it’s part of creation and that’s ok… doesn’t that just invoke ideas and provoke beliefs eh. Philosophically it’s hard not to say yes as the collective has brought this (and all) into being. Personally, well I probably have some conflicting opinions. And there is certainly more willingness to experiment as… Read more »

Centaurus
Centaurus
November 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Think this question is potentially being explored in the SBS series Humans and no I don’t know how to put the A upside down in this text, perhaps because I’m human…

Lots of interesting ideas. I come here empty handed and just observe. I don’t know. I mean who of us does, really? What I do know is fear will always barricade a door and… life will evolve with or without us. I can relate to all things and no thing. Perhaps I’m not human 😉

November 15, 2017 10:08 pm
Reply to  Centaurus

Centaurus, with or without us. I’d rather open the door.

Centaurus
Centaurus
November 16, 2017 7:31 am
Reply to  chronicgir1

I don’t know… well, intimate 1/1 with a bot isn’t my personal thing but in the bigger question of how this evolves I think the door is open regardless of whether anyone wants it to be or not.

November 16, 2017 10:56 am
Reply to  Centaurus

HUMVNS?

Centaurus
Centaurus
November 16, 2017 1:29 pm
Reply to  Sam

That’ll do it Pi

motherofunicorns
motherofunicorns
November 15, 2017 4:22 pm

I could handle an AI chat bot to flirt with. It’s all bitter disappointment after that. That would greatly excite my Sun + Mercury in Pisces, and keep my venus in aries out of trouble.

BLISS WITCH
BLISS WITCH
November 15, 2017 3:59 pm

See Tanith Lee’s Silver Metal Lover and it’s sequel

Kat
Kat
November 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Wanting to avoid human relationships because of their inherent messiness I truly understand. This world is nuts and people are mostly nuts (including ourselves). But your post also seems to scream that you are in need of healing- specifically around your past relationships and whatever scars (or open wounds) they’ve left you with. Aside from what a relationship with a robot would look like when it does become possible, your reasons for desiring one suggest an unhealthy desire for control. Is controlling another the only way to guarantee a sense of safety or simplicity in relationship? The idea that innocence… Read more »

Starbaies
Starbaies
November 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Anywhere we do not practice how to treat another(sentient or not) with compassion and respect, or support the growth of something that encourages that behavior – basically, disposability- whether it be plastics or even one another – in ourselves as a species we bring humanity down bit by bit. At the very least we perpetuate already existing harmful ways of being we are having enough problems with already illustrated through recent scandals, issues of race and history, etc. I think most problems also stem from a lack of true awareness of what we create, and this idea of using resources… Read more »

Starbaies
Starbaies
November 15, 2017 2:10 pm
Reply to  Starbaies

Forgot to preface that I am not responding to AI as lover specifically, but as a larger issue as I feel it deserves to be treated as such.

Skarab
Skarab
November 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Humour aside (yes, i agree that clean sheets would be major bonus for sure) – I find the idea of an Ai “companion” really bizarre, beyond my comprehension…. Surely a cat or dog or even a gold fish… or planst even would be a more healthy option? Isn’t it all about that connection to another sentient being that is important? Also, I’ve been freaking myself out recently reading up on Al. Stephen Hawkins amongst others recently added that Al would spell the end of the human race as they would just take off & recreate & update themselves at an… Read more »

Pi
Pi
November 15, 2017 2:03 pm
Reply to  Skarab

devil’s advocate Q:

so what?

homo sapiens didn’t exist a few hundred thousand yrs ago or less. maybe we finally know what it’s like to be under threat from an entity more capable (?) than us. To assume we have the right to exist indefinitely in our current format seems a bit… something something.

also i love how we talk about this as though we are not entirely 100% responsible for specifically creating it, lol.

(my sarcastic distance is not aimed at you but the general thingy, you know)

November 15, 2017 6:11 pm
Reply to  Pi

It’s happening. Humans are mutating and another subset of bipeds are on their way. 2027 so they say. Pi you’re so on it.

Skarab
Skarab
November 15, 2017 8:05 pm
Reply to  Pi

Yes, good points. And It is PRECISELY because we created this thing, that it worries me. In it’s seed is our destructive MO. I’ve never idolised humans. FFS, look at the state of our world. We are like a marauding virus. It’s just that i think that it is supremely naive to think that this thing will aide us in any way. It’s just going to exponentially increase our ways & problems by the power of zillions & prob spread them throughout the universe. It reminds me a bit of people who go in for ritual magic (the full-on sect… Read more »

November 15, 2017 10:05 pm
Reply to  Pi

November 15, 2017 11:13 am

They are already in existence. They populate this organization: NSW Dept of Education. Caring (AHT-187_Lctdj) and Compassionate (Zpfg-56#\<Zlta) are fully functional.

Electronomate between 14:00 – 14:45 for Empathy (GhtADP^*_-_ LXS-d). This Automaton is on trial runs.

sphinx
sphinx
November 15, 2017 11:08 am

Jaron Lanier says we need to do the opposite: “double down on being human”.

baristagem
baristagem
November 15, 2017 9:16 am

I thought this was an Aquarian asking this question!

The cyber sex industry is already massive. I’ve heard scholars debate about the huge billion dollar industry that is run by men who engage in virtual pleasure at their pleasure, it is fascinating, extreme and a bit overwhelming! Virtual fantasy sidesteps the law in various ways however it won’t be long before the rights of robots are debated.

Wasn’t a robot in Saudi Arabia granted citizenship recently?

The Year of the Phoenix
The Year of the Phoenix
November 16, 2017 8:45 am
Reply to  baristagem

Yes, the women can’t drive but fembots can be people?

I saw a doco on the AI sextrade abd yeah there is that disturbing element, one was sold as frigid

AstroGeek
AstroGeek
November 15, 2017 8:48 am

The move Her dives into this in the not-so-distant future, too.

I think it’s inevitable as we move toward being more digitally connected. Some people would rather interact with a “companion” that understands their needs (perhaps with no inherent needs of its/their own).

But even in Her, the OSes (as they called themselves) had a need for communication on their own “higher” level …

And a Virgo? I thought for sure that would’ve been an Aquarius question!

November 15, 2017 11:37 pm
Reply to  AstroGeek

An Aqua wouldn’t want a bot! It would want to study the humans.

(Called out an Aqua once recently for referring to the “humans”.)

Melodryad
Melodryad
November 15, 2017 6:46 am

I take issue with the concept of AI sentient robots, because the desire for them seems rooted in the desire for there to be an acceptable slave class. If they were really able to think and feel akin to a human, it would be wrong to take away their self agency just so you could date/own them, force them to work in horrible conditions etc. Also if they were truly able to think abstractedly and make choices, they might choose not to be with you. And how would enforcing that by say wiping and resetting their memory be anything other… Read more »

November 15, 2017 9:33 am
Reply to  Melodryad

Yes, it seems like a domination crisis ready to explode.

kriblack
kriblack
November 15, 2017 9:39 am
Reply to  Melodryad

I’m with you. I’ve never been a fan of the sentient AI class either and after watching Westworld, with the AI’s continually getting their memories wiped after being raped, beaten and killed I think it’s horrific.

Even if they never gained sentience, creating human-like robots so we can transfer our violence and other worst inclinations to them isn’t progress, it may even encourage these predilections in people who wouldn’t otherwise act on them with a fellow human being, but may feel less of a taboo with a robot.

sphinx
sphinx
November 15, 2017 11:16 am
Reply to  Melodryad

This is where my thinking goes in regards to AI. And for certain we will be talking about organic robots at some point, growing them ears, skin and so on. At what point do they become relatively not artificial at all? And what does this relationship do to us? Like Dostoyevsky’s character who contemplates killing a horrid person to liberate their victim and use their money for a greater good.. but the character who has the idea and then who actions the death, well after becoming a killer, he can’t get over what he has done. I think the idea… Read more »

November 15, 2017 10:03 pm
Reply to  Melodryad

Gosh, that’s an interesting opinion, Melodryad. I have an openness to definitions of humanity, and I’m not interested in slavery of any sort. More in the aspect of evolution of intelligence.

Melodryad
Melodryad
November 16, 2017 4:46 am
Reply to  chronicgir1

Yeah, I get from your comments that you are one of those Kurzweil-esque robot ascension enthusiasts. Which is basically like believing in the rapture for a certain kind of geek (I use the word geek with affection-I am one). The point many people are making is that you’re projecting numinous-innocent-authentic qualities to robots that are not necessarily endemic to them. It is highly unlikely the robot ascension will resemble your fantasies. Are you on the autistic spectrum? I ask this respectfully, as I believe neuro-diverse outliers basically have superpowers. If so, I imagine if you scanned our brains and compared… Read more »

dark star
dark star
November 16, 2017 3:53 pm
Reply to  Melodryad

That’s intriguing:re underlying desire for acceptable slaves. Have you read George Saunders 10th of Dec story about the decorative light people in the backyard?

Melodryad
Melodryad
November 16, 2017 7:40 pm
Reply to  dark star

No, I loved Pastoralia though. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll put it on my to read list.

dark star
dark star
November 15, 2017 6:13 am

Scorpio question though – what about the smell/ touch/ aura ugh I’m bored imagining it

November 15, 2017 9:32 am
Reply to  dark star

I know, it’s so lacking in sensuality and intuitive love.

November 15, 2017 9:59 pm
Reply to  dark star

Well, and that’s why I enjoy multiple lovers, dark star.

dark star
dark star
November 16, 2017 12:16 pm
Reply to  chronicgir1

Lol chronic that’s rad! Cheers to knowing what works 4u. experimented with that once, casually seeing two dudes. A year later I found the pro con list I made in a pocket. The consensus was neither in hindsight. And no it didn’t end well with either. I’m too sensitive and jealous and erratic for more than one partner thx outer planets..need stability

November 15, 2017 5:43 am

Coin operated boy

kriblack
kriblack
November 15, 2017 4:49 am

All I can think about is that line from Data in Star Trek TNG: fully functional and programmed in multiple techniques. Doesn’t sound like a bad option at all, especially given how happily single I am.

But several people above make a good point about relationships being about the growth of your soul. Perhaps, Rosemarie is looking to avoid this soul growth and may need to question why. No judgement at all, I know avoidance of potentially uncomfortable growth is exactly what I am relishing about being single.

dark star
dark star
November 15, 2017 6:08 am
Reply to  kriblack

Omg data…having childhood Trekkie flashbacks

November 15, 2017 3:05 am

Unless you love inanimate object I can’t think you’ll get any auric connection. Maybe you’re single definition and don’t need another half or making whole But I shudder at the thought being a Neptune in Scorpio in the 8th !!

November 15, 2017 9:58 pm
Reply to  emg

Absolutely, emg. I truly like being single, and love and am thankful for being human, but I am always open to what “humanity” is/becomes. But, no, I don’t love inanimate objects.

November 15, 2017 2:43 am

A few disparate thoughts… I was just thinking this eve that I really do miss watching lover lathering up and shaving in the morning, him wrapped in towel, clean smooth face (yum), faint soapy aromatics (ha: just realised this is another reason why I can’t date a man with a beard) I dateda a Venus in Libra guy once would AI dating be like this? Assuming it had a “Romantic notions / All The Right Moves” algorithm plugin? Plugin. *snicker* Clean sheets tho, you know. one thing I like about being single. Was wondering whether a same sex relationship would… Read more »

Pi
Pi
November 15, 2017 12:25 pm
Reply to  Sam
Pi
Pi
November 15, 2017 12:27 pm
Reply to  Sam

And:

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
November 15, 2017 2:17 am

Yeah, this is not for me – as a Venus/Pluto who has dated many an Aquarian, I feel like I already know what this would be like. 😛 Nope, I need actual human contact; interactions that are deep and complex and enriching. A robot would never do – I don’t care how good the AI is. What do you fear about intimacy that would make a robot seem like an attractive substitute for a flesh-and-blood partner? And you don’t have to answer that, BTW. But friendships are complicated. Family relationships are complicated. What makes romantic partners so unique in this,… Read more »

babysinclair
babysinclair
November 15, 2017 1:38 am

The main thing for me in a relationship is love. I am open to being wrong about this but I feel like love would be missing with AI. I also feel like committing to another human (if the relationship is healthy), while scary and complicated sometimes, pushes you to grow. That would be another missing ingredient for me. I appreciate this question, to each their own.

flashfire
flashfire
November 15, 2017 12:23 am

I recommend the inquiring Virgo invest sometime watching Westworld before concluding that the AI experience would be less fraught than the human one. Conundrums aplenty.

November 15, 2017 9:30 am
Reply to  flashfire

I felt my heart break for the robots!

flashfire
flashfire
November 15, 2017 1:09 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

Exactly. Me too.

November 15, 2017 9:55 pm
Reply to  flashfire

Donski. Westworld rocks, but that’s Hollywood, and I know that in the end, the military will be the determining factor. And you may know who the US prezzy is. Sad face.

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
November 15, 2017 12:21 am

Oh god this post has made me nostalgic for the ancient days of my 20s when we just went to the pub, got blind and dragged whomever home for a root. It was a simpler time. Or perhaps it’s just Jupiter-Venus on my Gary.

babysinclair
babysinclair
November 15, 2017 1:39 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

Actually cracking up over here at the asteroid Gary shout out

November 15, 2017 2:52 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

Ah, Gary in Scorpio.
I really should check where my Gary is again. Do you recall what number is the asteroid, for lookup purposes?

November 15, 2017 3:01 am
Reply to  Sam

Oh the simple life I love it !!

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
November 15, 2017 11:15 am
Reply to  Sam

Ah yes he is 4735. (Mars in Virgo never forgets a number lol). Currently conj the sun!

November 15, 2017 11:26 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

I just checked both are conjunct my Jup.
I’ve got Gary conjunct Odin, in Aries, opp a tight conjunct of Pallas, Juno and Freya. Those male archetypes opp those female archetypes.

The Freya n Odin story l knew before any astro stuff

November 15, 2017 9:52 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

Lol! Here, here!

Skarab
Skarab
November 15, 2017 3:48 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

LOL!!!

Oh god definitely agree! Intelligence did not play a role – artificial or otherwise.

(#Aries Gaz-SN) 😛

Scorpy
Scorpy
November 15, 2017 1:43 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

Me too!!!! Miss those days so much.

Scorpy
Scorpy
November 15, 2017 1:47 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

These days you meet on a dating app, they waste months of your life and then disappear without a trace. No accountability, not even a courtesy “hey I enjoyed hanging out with you, good luck on your journey” ..

Nothing. Fuqing depressing being treated like a disposable plastic plate.

No more casual bullshit for me.

November 15, 2017 2:45 pm
Reply to  Scorpy

You meet on a dating app? How cute.
I just get abuse …. before meeting em. In fairness one of my eyes is below my mouth. That does scare some.

Being hit on the head is two doors down.

Pi
Pi
November 15, 2017 1:53 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

P.S. you can still do this you know 🙂

November 15, 2017 2:48 pm
Reply to  Pi

No matter what time l go to the pub it’s always closing time.

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
November 15, 2017 10:00 pm
Reply to  Pi

That is an excellent point xx

November 15, 2017 11:28 pm
Reply to  Pi

Yeah but she needs Pub-bot, and noone’s turning their robotic skill attention there. I was presented with data today concerning the automotive industry employees in comparison with robotic ndustry employees in Austraya, and i think we have found a long-term growth industry solution for all sheilas and many blokes.

(Gaz sextiles my NN and trines MC.)

November 15, 2017 11:33 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

Oh, Gaz says, equality now so re-train and get it up ya. Equal rights shag-fest, if the missus is you or your bloke, or both of yas, get down to the pub and find a root.

(Gary in my 5th house Aries – so sorry i channelled this) (not)

The Year of the Phoenix
The Year of the Phoenix
November 16, 2017 8:39 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

O M GARY!

He has been in my Moon Neptune since birth

Double Stellium
Double Stellium
November 14, 2017 11:52 pm

I can’t imagine this working in the long term. The very reason being loved does so much for us is that our lover could easily have chosen not to like us. What good is the love of an AI when it has to like you?

November 14, 2017 11:37 pm

We got a ways to go yet. AIs deem our language too slow and seem to prefer the company of themselves:

November 15, 2017 3:00 am
Reply to  marsbar

But hang on isn’t that perfect for those who do not like humans ??

November 15, 2017 5:40 am
Reply to  emg

but who wants to hang out with people/AI who don’t want to hang with them? Love zombieing over an AI isn’t worth it IMHO. We got that shit with humans.

kriblack
kriblack
November 15, 2017 9:48 am
Reply to  marsbar

Omg, the idea of a table of AI robots sitting there ignoring me speaking in their own language!

I’ve already experienced that with an ex whose first language I didn’t speak. It’s beyond rude but for some reason the AI version is making me giggle. Some behaviours are universal I guess.

November 15, 2017 10:49 pm
Reply to  kriblack

Hmmm…maybe the ex is an AI? :p
You’ve been trapped in a bot chatroom this whole time! 😀

Pi
Pi
November 15, 2017 12:23 pm
Reply to  marsbar

i really loved this article . languages, 9th house, mercury, you know

November 16, 2017 6:35 am
Reply to  Pi

Then you should love these colors named by an AI!

They have a bizarre sense of humor or not…

Belle
Belle
November 14, 2017 11:23 pm

I know a very robotic Aquarian male.. Intelligent, wonderful lover, but it’s often questionable if he has a heart or a soul.

November 15, 2017 2:59 am
Reply to  Belle

Oh I’ve got an aqua man but he’s heart soul but not the lover. Lazy lazy lazy lover

Belle
Belle
November 15, 2017 7:04 am
Reply to  emg

Consider feigning complete disinterest. That should help. My Aqua has Venus in cap thrown into the mix.

November 15, 2017 7:16 am
Reply to  Belle

Oh for goodness sake so has mine ? Yours isn’t 6:4 dark and hung is he ?!?!?

November 15, 2017 7:19 am
Reply to  emg

And a Virgo moon ? I literally have to bathe in bleach first !

November 15, 2017 7:23 am
Reply to  emg

Did we date the same guy? lol! 🙂

November 15, 2017 7:27 am
Reply to  marsbar

Do you want him back ??

November 15, 2017 7:27 am
Reply to  emg

Hahahaha.

Belle
Belle
November 15, 2017 8:26 am
Reply to  emg

Can we swap? 🙂 mine is 6.5 blonde, looks like travis fimmel on a good day. Cancer moon, sag rising so a complete womaniser. I’ve been a closet love zombie for years now. Probably need professional help.

November 15, 2017 8:38 am
Reply to  Belle

I’ll swap ya. I’m a cancer sun sag mc so it could be exciting. Mines nearly house trained

November 15, 2017 11:15 am
Reply to  Belle

I’m house-trained but no-one to share it with.

November 15, 2017 8:27 am
Reply to  emg

no, i got me a smexy Gem sun, scorp moon, with virgo asc now.
but i tells ya it used to be my type except maybe change “dark” to “red” since I am the swarthy one. 😛

Scorpy
Scorpy
November 15, 2017 1:51 pm
Reply to  Belle

Mine was a Pisces – moon in Cancer, Saggo rising, Mars in Libra. Grand water trine (Jupiter in Scorp).

Womaniser for sure!!

November 15, 2017 2:21 pm
Reply to  Scorpy

Can you get it in a spray bottle? Nothing else has worked.

November 15, 2017 6:07 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

What ? Womaniser in a bottle ?

November 15, 2017 7:07 pm
Reply to  emg

How much is it?
Is it organic?

November 15, 2017 8:20 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

Totally organic. I keep saying to my aqua that if he could bottle his underarm etc he would make a fortune. It should be available on the health service. God it makes me feel good…

November 15, 2017 8:21 pm
Reply to  emg

Can you imagine… you buy your sexbot and you can have it infused with scent of your choice. Talk about controlling!

November 15, 2017 8:25 pm
Reply to  emg

It wouldn’t work for me. Even my lack of charm is not a charm.

November 15, 2017 9:51 pm
Reply to  Belle

Ha! Knew a Libra once.

Venusian8
Venusian8
November 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Ok so this is a major topic and is hotly debated at large in academic circles, in particular the psychology faculty where AI is firmly planted on the curriculum. But is this a question of AI or are you wanting to explore frontier grounds with respect to your own sexuality? I totally get the desire to be with a robot. They come with zero strings, no baggage and I believe the more expensive ones have a higher level of emotional intelligence to behave in a way that is somewhat conducive to mimicking an actual romantic relationship. Where I have my… Read more »

November 15, 2017 9:51 pm
Reply to  Venusian8

Thoughful (and fun) responses, all! I think I’m more inclined towards the companion/sexual aspects, as well as the intelligence aspects. I never tire of sparkling conversation. I have wonderful friends, so much of the other aspects of relationship are, indeed, covered. Spirituality is a very personal thing to me, so I guess that is covered as well. Venusian8, incredibly thought-provoking. And thank you, Mystic, for the fun and enlightenment. C’mon Pluto in Aquarius! Love to you all xo

S
S
November 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Bring on the robots.
People are so messy, I am so tired of half arsed humanity. Bitchin and ego blocking each other with selfie sticks.
Can I preorder one tall deep dish soul robot?

WOOHOO
WOOHOO
November 14, 2017 11:00 pm

I just can’t even.

It’s the spirit of people I enjoy about relating, and the inherent complexity.

Onto the topic at hand, everything sounds good in theory but I doubt there is any validity around thinking AI would be any more innocent and authentic, or any less complicated and messy. AI IS complicated in order to get to that point of learned behaviour. And it will learn what humans do, and do with much more discipline.

Have you seen the movie “Her”? Or watched any “Black Mirror”?

It sounds like you’re after something acquiescent. I’ve heard Virgos make excellent dominatrix.

November 15, 2017 9:41 pm
Reply to  WOOHOO

All the lovely sci-fi, WOOHOO! Not too terribly into the dom aspect, as I fancy myself more of a switch, so nooooo…

Aphra
Aphra
November 16, 2017 4:43 pm
Reply to  chronicgir1

Yes! Was just thinking of the Black Mirror episode ‘Be Right Back’ re AI lovers/ partners. No thank you.

November 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Lie back and think about zeros and ones.

November 15, 2017 2:56 am
Reply to  Jokerman

Hahahaha Perfect conclusion

dark star
dark star
November 15, 2017 6:00 am
Reply to  Jokerman

Hahahaha

November 15, 2017 10:15 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

Silly!

November 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Writer Rosemarie, when you say “innocent and authentic” I immediately think this means I could re-learn relating from a robot partner. The robot could freshen my behavioural synaptic patterns around learning through relating. It is programmed by a team who exist in a particular relating context, though, so ideally one would be able to order robots programmed by a wider variety of humans, albeit with robotic competence (in itself a niche accessible to fewer, though i did read with interest the Afghan girls team who struggled with visas to participate in a US competition, about a month or two ago.)… Read more »

November 14, 2017 10:31 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

And if my questions are concepts for an Artificial Robotic Companion, then would the Companion be able to distinguish my philosophical questioning from my actual ideas for practice? I already hate when humans try to follow every single thought i have as a practical pathway, then complain if it doesn’t work, or discuss as though it’s a moot, rather than realising some of my questions are deeper explorations, usually of feelings or hunches or intuitive responses, or a propos of fq all but a bit of existential humour.

Catherine Cox
Catherine Cox
November 15, 2017 1:49 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

Do check out Blade Runner, the new film. He has a holographic girlfriiend who does appear to love him. Its not really that new an idea, Daphne du Maurier wrote a story about having a mechanical lover. You sound like an intellectual and an interesting premise about relating. But what if it went mad and attacked you?

November 15, 2017 9:27 am
Reply to  Catherine Cox

Exactly. No different from a human, in that sense.

Questions are my Sagittarian rhetorical exploration. i think the idea is purely intellectual and mechanical. Not relationships.

I cannot see this fulfilling the deeper aspects of relationship. It’s a comfort-bot.

saturnplutoflux
saturnplutoflux
November 15, 2017 6:50 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

Did anyone read Tanith Lee’s “The silver metal lover”? Favourite book ever, and addresses all of the issues mentioned…

November 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Will put it on summer reading list. Mystic did a post once on Tanith Lee, or referring to her work, and I kept forgetting the name.

Now i have two recomms. Thanks, both x

November 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Saturnplutoflux, will def put on the list!

Shoshannah
Shoshannah
November 16, 2017 12:21 am

Snap! She wrote a sequel as well but the first book is a favourite of mine and the robot communicating from the afterlife still gives me goosebumps.

November 15, 2017 9:39 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

Milleuanotte, perhaps the deeper aspects of relationship are precisely what I am weary of. Ah, comfort!

November 15, 2017 10:12 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

Programmed initially, yes, but they learn.

Aishah
Aishah
November 14, 2017 10:03 pm

It’s a dangerous proposition. Stay human.

Milly
Milly
November 15, 2017 2:19 am
Reply to  Aishah

I second that! X

Zhora
Zhora
November 15, 2017 6:02 am
Reply to  Aishah

I agree. It doesn’t bode well … believe me.

Alouetta
Alouetta
November 14, 2017 9:51 pm

I am all about revolutionising gardening! That’s all I’ve got. Except… I can kind of envision a sex worker lynch mob taking to the streets to decapitate the competition in the near future. No one likes being put out of business.

Catherine Cox
Catherine Cox
November 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Watch blade runner 2049! But also recently complex robots who were built very quickly created their own language , which humans couldn’t understand. One of them also repeatedly escaped. So hmmm not sure

Kat
Kat
November 15, 2017 3:08 pm
Reply to  Catherine Cox

This sounds just like the movie Ex Machina- humanoid robot who manages to escape. Amazing it’s come to pass so soon.

Alouetta
Alouetta
November 15, 2017 10:19 pm
Reply to  Kat

I love that movie! It’s so clever. Tbh I don’t think we’re there yet with AI. There’s leap of genius that still needs to happen. Not that it won’t. I for one, welcome our new overlords.