A Woman Is Strong When…

“A woman is powerful when her first word isn’t ‘sorry’. A woman is powerful when you forget who the man in her life is. A woman is powerful when she follows her gut. Any woman who belongs to herself has power, and that power is perceived as dangerous.”
—  Joan Juliet Buck
Lilith in Capricorn is coming.  More soon.

LadyLeh
LadyLeh
November 11, 2017 2:22 pm

OH LORDESS, that webby hairy despairing man-kite faltering down to the ground…..the imagery!
You know, Mystic, that half my drooling admiration for you is fueled by your insightful and rigorously archeological eye. So much spoken in these visual annotations.

GreenWitch
GreenWitch
November 7, 2017 9:50 am

Many years ago I read ‘She came to stay’, by Simone deBeauvoir. The publisher’s blurb introducing the book explained, in the first few lines, that deBeauvoir came second to Sartre at the Sorbonne.

By this time she had won prestigious awards and was undoubtedly famous in her own right…..

Centaurus
Centaurus
November 6, 2017 11:01 pm

A woman is powerful when she stands in her truth.

A friend recently gifted me some words of inspiration. They appealed to my earth.

If you’re a rock stand like a mountain.

I look forward to Uma…..

Aphra
Aphra
November 6, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes Mystic!!! Awomen!

sphinx
sphinx
November 5, 2017 10:16 pm

Today I was happy because I used a sander for the first time and it was really fun. I want to teach my nieces how to use power tools, it’s a confidence inspiring thing for a girl I think. Sanded back a small writing table till it was smooth as silk, then painted it with black charcoal paint. Will wax it tomorrow! The table was something I remember since before I could walk. And then my bro had it and it was in his room where he died. So I sanded out the deep scars in the wood and remembered… Read more »

November 6, 2017 12:33 am
Reply to  sphinx

Breathe new life into it. Lovely.

marsbar
marsbar
November 6, 2017 1:42 am
Reply to  sphinx

Oh i miss woodworking! Yes, teach them. It was one of the most valuable things my dad taught me growing up. I wish he had taught me more things like that.
I cant do woodworking now because of crazy ocd mother in the house, but once she is gone i am picking up the hobby again.

Jokerman
Jokerman
November 6, 2017 7:21 pm
Reply to  marsbar

“Trying to make a dove-tail joint, yeah”
J Lennon “Glass Onion”

Veronica
Veronica
November 6, 2017 9:14 pm
Reply to  sphinx

Very nice Sphinx, i like the sound of charcoal paint

Have just bought myself a personal cordless drill, I do have a small hand sander and planning to have a painting, sanding and drilling day!

sphinx
sphinx
November 7, 2017 10:51 am
Reply to  Veronica

Hey V! Sounds like a fun and productive day, lol. My partner has all the tools, but i like having my own sets and I would love my own cordless drill.. 😉 The charcoal paint was pretty and super matte but I had to put a polish on it which ruined the effect a little.

My fantasy too: I wish I could buy a light sabre for the garden – when are they going to invent those things?

Skarab
Skarab
November 5, 2017 12:04 pm

BBC headline: “This is not a witch hunt..” Harriet Harman MP has to defend that the mass accusations of sexual harassment against MPs is not a witch hunt and that “it’s long overdue” . YES!

(unless “witch hunt” is taken to mean that witches are hunting down slime bags :P)

Lilith in Capricorn cometh but Lilith in the critical degree of Sagg is really kicking ass.

November 5, 2017 6:43 pm
Reply to  Skarab

Trouble is though, that we will be left with empty cabinet, empty parliament, empty board rooms, empty offices, to unemptied bins because every one of us in every walk of life has suffered from this behaviour in the past. We now have the task of rebuilding relationship between us which is going to require some potent Witchcraft ! As I said before losing power is tough but gaining it is tougher.

LotusFlower
LotusFlower
November 5, 2017 7:17 pm
Reply to  Skarab

Very true, emg. Re the spurious, dangerous, gaslighting claims by some parts of the UK media, I was left open-jawed last night when an old friend I have not seen for a while, who twenty years ago had to escape in the middle of the night from Turkey with her two small children from an abusive marriage, called the outing of sexual harrassment in power “sensationalism”, “divisive news media” and that what was “real” to her was her homelife, the mountains etc. Mind you, Taurus moon – touch it, feel it and it’s real, I guess. I just… was lost… Read more »

sphinx
sphinx
November 5, 2017 10:00 pm
Reply to  Skarab

Ha ha, I can so see all the modern working girls on their broomsticks gleefully hunting down sleazy producers, pollies and biz execs!

Gemyogi
Gemyogi
November 5, 2017 11:39 am

That was heart emojis! <3 <3

Gemyogi
Gemyogi
November 5, 2017 11:38 am
scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
November 5, 2017 11:10 am

ooh need to get joan juliet bucks writing.
just read angelica hustons auto biography, they were good friends

Laurel
Laurel
November 5, 2017 10:14 am

“A woman is powerful when you forget who the man in her life is. ” I was just reading a Guardian piece about how Nicole Kidman – not my fave but I recognise she does ground breaking work with dangerous tones – will always be known as Tom Cruise’s ex even tho it was decades ago and she is the better actor (she has an Academy award too, right?).
No fair.

Augusta
Augusta
November 5, 2017 12:52 pm
Reply to  Laurel

There is no good US actress since Meryl Streep. She has left em in her wake. A sexism exists, especially in Hollywood, in the last few years, that it is OK for actresses to be mediocre.

November 5, 2017 9:53 pm
Reply to  Augusta

Goodness me. Not one?

marsbar
marsbar
November 6, 2017 1:38 am
Reply to  Augusta

What are the qualifications for a “good” u.s. Actress? Just curious…

Saggi Crab
Saggi Crab
November 6, 2017 8:41 am
Reply to  Augusta

Whaaa? A sexism exists that allows actresses to be mediocre? That is a really disappointing statement to read. Perhaps it isn’t the actresses’ talent but the roles available to them. I can name a bunch of great actresses in Hollywood besides Meryl Streep off the top of my head. Kate Winslet, Frances McDormand, Edie Falco, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Naomi Watts, and of course Cate Blanchett. And Nicole Kidman. And there are many more.

Veronica
Veronica
November 6, 2017 9:07 pm
Reply to  Saggi Crab

A few come to mind…

Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle…Mila Kunis, Kristen Stewart in Welcome to the Rileys

Anjelica Huston, Susan Sarandon,

Jokerman
Jokerman
November 6, 2017 9:22 pm
Reply to  Veronica

Julie-anne Moore. Kristen Wiig. Vera Farmiga.

virgosun
virgosun
November 5, 2017 8:53 am

Oh, this sooooo resonates with me.