When You’re An Aquarius With Moon In Gemini

When you’re an Aquarius with Moon in Gemini, you are a self-created, paradigm buster who does it with wit and panache; you’re Bessie Stringfield.

Born in 1911, she was a stunt motorcyclist, the “motorcycle queen of Miami,” World War II bike courier, six times wife – always with much younger men, mother, and non-stop defiance merchant.

Bessie Stringfield was the first African-American woman to traverse the United States by motorbike. It would be an achievement in any era. But picture this in the 1920s and 1930s, when people of color were not even allowed to stay in hotels. She’d sleep wild and was an early proponent of couch-surfing.

In an era where women who wore pants were the object of societal scorn, Bessie competed in races and supported herself by doing bike stunts at carnivals. She owned 27 Harley bikes and was a devout Catholic, giving thanks to God for her freedom to “toss a penny on the map” and ride there.

She kept riding right up until her last day, passing just before her Uranus Return at age 84. No birth time is available, so we don’t know her Rising Sign. But  I see Leo in the love of glamor and the self-creation of herself as a performer.

She was also big on doing her hair and make-up every damn day, no matter what.

And there was a lot of ‘what’ in her life.

Thoughts?

sphinx
sphinx
August 18, 2017 4:01 am

Bessie seems coolllll, really independent, determined and cheery – all that air.
But I think the Saturn in Mercury is interesting. Traveller, speaker of all languages, holder of all currencies in Capricorn sounds incredible. I need some Capricorn in my chart so bad!

SheRat
SheRat
August 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Now if we can just get Bessie Smith to be an Aquarius, I’ll be happy as a pig in shit. Triple-Aqua biker, here, with Venus in Pisces to boot. I’ve ridden cross the US couch surfing so this woman IS one of my ancestors. Rock! I was told by a playwright the other day that one of my trips was play-worthy. Wouldn’t it be cool to mix it with her story too?

Thanks, Mystic!

sphinx
sphinx
August 18, 2017 4:09 am
Reply to  SheRat

Omg, I adore Bessie Smith, she is incredible – she has Mars in Aquarius? Lots of Gemini. Mercury and Venus in Pisces – mmmm for artistry!!! But Sun in awesome Aries with NN & Moon in Virgo of all things.

August 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Lilith in Saggo! That speaks volumes!

dark star
dark star
August 17, 2017 10:24 am

I am obsessed with her glam motorcycle shaman vibes

Lilith
Lilith
August 17, 2017 9:58 am

One: Please do not refer to black people as “colored”. It is an antiquated American misnomer associated with segregation (I am black).

Two: I believe it is a great achievement to traverse ANY part of a terrain on a motorbike, regardless of the time period so please do not denigrate that.

I am a fan of your website and am also fiercely protective of the way in which my fellow black women are portrayed and written about. <3 <3 <3

Lilith
Lilith
August 18, 2017 3:17 am

Perhaps you can amend your post then.

sphinx
sphinx
August 18, 2017 3:51 am
Reply to  Lilith

Personally I do not see your point that Mystic is somehow “denigrating” the feat of travelling the continent by motorbike because of mentioning the time frame? And having achieved your aim of getting your (ill-aimed imo) point across you tell her to amend her work so rudely? Nice.

marsbar
marsbar
August 18, 2017 3:28 am

“POC” or “person of color” is generally regarded as an ok term to use in the U.S. But I’m not sure about outside of the U.S. However “colored” person is generally frowned upon in the states.

Sizzlecat
Sizzlecat
August 20, 2017 10:42 am
Reply to  Lilith

Shine your light, own your voice! These are trying times for folks of color and I don’t blame you for being fierce about it. This is an amazing homage post, but I’m a little riled on your behalf re: how you’re being responded to in the comments when you are speaking up bravely amid a (clearly) white majority. I usually hate throwing myself into the middle of internet things like this, but had to say something. Love to all, just PLEASE think i.e. look at social context & state of the world & history? before you snip.

Sizzlecat
Sizzlecat
August 20, 2017 10:52 am
Reply to  Sizzlecat

imo if you’re going to engage (also bravely, and much needed) with issues of race and racism in an homage post, you need to let the marginalized voices have their say on how you do it. It’s easy to get sh*t wrong. (I’m Chinese and if a historic post didn’t have “oriental” in quotes, hell yeah I’d be calling it out.) What’s not easy is being the one pointing it out, knowing one probably isn’t going to get heard, but hoping. Respectful comments re: the above go a long way to creating safe space so that posts like this actually… Read more »

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
August 17, 2017 9:52 am

*sighs*

I love women who break the mold; it’s the Uranian in me <3 Strong, beautiful women who defy stereotypes and often beat the boys at their own game…I suppose it all started with Mona Lisa Vito:

Billy D
Billy D
August 17, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks for the clip. Hadn’t thought about that movie in years!

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
August 17, 2017 5:02 pm
Reply to  Billy D

You are so very welcome – looking back, I think she was my very first girlcrush, LOL. High-maintenance city-slicker vibe aside, in retrospect I actually do find her character quite relatable. I’m a big believer in “cross-training”; the cultivation of skills, knowledge, and expertise outside the confines of that which is considered “typical” for one’s gender. I do love being able to chuck a good curveball over the plate now and again…they never see it coming. 😉

Jokerman
Jokerman
August 17, 2017 9:45 am

Asc in Sagg. Leo would’ve got sick of the bugs in the teeth aft a while. Saggs would have a ‘ground-hog day’ attitude to doing their thing. Her last ride would’ve felt like her first.

Billy D
Billy D
August 17, 2017 11:22 am
Reply to  Jokerman

I’m with you. The first thing that came to me was Sagg. Maybe Aries. Leo would soon tire of the inconvenience.

AstroGeek
AstroGeek
August 17, 2017 3:18 pm
Reply to  Billy D

Ditto on Sagg. With the much younger lovers and love of travel. And the penchant for religion at the core of her embodiment of wildness!

Alleycat
Alleycat
August 17, 2017 4:08 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

These comments are so tedious – in fact the way Leos are often portrayed on this blog by commenters (not Mystic) are so stereotypically shallow.

“Leo would’ve got sick of the bugs in the teeth aft a while”
“Leo would soon tire of the inconvenience.”

It didn’t seem to bother Amelia Earhart in the least and a cluster of other Leo women explorers and adventurers. Don’t be so biased, lazy and shallow.

Aquarianne
Aquarianne
August 20, 2017 1:00 pm
Reply to  Alleycat

🙂

August 17, 2017 6:22 am

Aside from (or in addition to) everything else, her outfit there is absolute genius. I am in love.

marsbar
marsbar
August 17, 2017 11:07 am

I love both Bessies! Amazing Aqua women of their times!

marsbar
marsbar
August 17, 2017 5:33 am

Are Bessie Stringfield and Bessie Coleman related to each other other than being [email protected] Bessies ? Cos the bottom pic is Coleman. 🙂

Sizzlecat
Sizzlecat
August 20, 2017 10:35 am
Reply to  Lili

!!!!

August 17, 2017 3:10 am

She’s gorgeous ! Regards the hotel thing, I’ve travelled to the US quite a few times since the late 70s. On my first trip I stayed in an Afro American hotel in LA. They were quite surprised when I walked in and was the only whitey staying there. I had a great time aside from nearly getting arrested in this breakfast take away store over the road by over zealous cops ( it’s a long story, but I was chatting to a dude who happened to be wanted in 15 states .. anyway ). Since that time I’ve stayed in… Read more »

Lilith
Lilith
August 17, 2017 10:02 am

*African American or black. please do not refer to us as “afro american”. Antiquated misnomer.

August 17, 2017 5:55 pm
Reply to  Lilith

Jeez, thanks for the correction. I showed it to 2 ‘black’ friends who don’t agree with each other or you ;or like the term black 🙂 and can’t see the difference, anyways…
apologies if I used what you or ‘us’ would consider an antiquated misnomer. It was not my intention… obviously ?

Lilith
Lilith
August 18, 2017 3:18 am

The road to hell is paved with good intentions…obviously.