The Astrological Decor And Occult Styling Of Zardoz

Seventies Astrology

“You have penetrated me. There is no escape. You are within me. Come into my center. Come into the center of the crystal!”
Zardoz

Holy harlots – how the hell have I never heard of the Seventies Sci-Fi movie Zardoz before now?  At literal first glance, I thought this image (thank you Tumblr) was some insane retro astrologer – the Taurus symbol, the zodiac chart, the red nappies.

But no it is cult-haute art.  And apparently about a culture with Uranian values, according to this extract from The Astrology Of Film.   It even has Charlotte Rampling and a giant disembodied alien head thing.

Can we please discuss this? Who has seen Zardoz and is there any astrology in it?

BLISS WITCH
BLISS WITCH
May 5, 2017 9:50 pm

Total fan here. One of my fave utopia:dystopia.

Kim S
Kim S
May 4, 2017 11:55 pm

the magic bullets for sure are over-rated would love an updated slicker version of astro-funk noir taking down dictators, cult-leaders and the sychophant classes in an underground special love mission death defying looks and outfits that would hollywood look staid–kinda like reverse labotomies for all the goons who gave their brains away fo NASA research would combine electric koolaid acid test with consciousness bending martial arts beginning from bio-geometrical life refigurements in early life memory retrievals–the look into my eyes moment that stuns someone into past/present/future in 10 directions with the ten thousand things laughing for joy–not a title with… Read more »

Maxene Schreck
Maxene Schreck
May 4, 2017 10:56 am

“The penis shoots seeds, and makes new Life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as it once was. But the gun shoots death and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals.”

Yeah, cult classic, I’ve seen this movie quite a bit but I never looked for astrological symbolism in it. I will have to next time I go to a Zardoz viewing party.

Jacqui
Jacqui
May 4, 2017 5:01 am

Is this the male version of Barbarella/lilith?

May 4, 2017 5:11 am
Reply to  Jacqui

Most importantly, can we look up an asteroid?

Unicorn Sparkles
Unicorn Sparkles
May 4, 2017 2:20 am

Oh my f’in g

Reidr
Reidr
May 3, 2017 4:07 pm

This is one of my fav films of all time… I frakkin love that you’ve posted about it mystic!

May 4, 2017 5:10 am
Reply to  Reidr

I’m…

what, so people know this film and recognise it?

My Sag stuff is tickled pink, but kind of nodding yeh yeh of course. Unreal!

Pegasus
Pegasus
May 3, 2017 4:03 pm

Of course i saw it being a sci-fi fan and alive in the 70’s. The giant head floating in the sky, hunky Sean Connery & sexy Charlotte. It was a sleeper easy to miss it.

flashfire
flashfire
May 3, 2017 1:56 pm

I am dying to know what precisely he is looking at. Seriously Sean, when brandishing yer pistol, you should really look at your target.

marsbar
marsbar
May 3, 2017 10:56 am

Sean Connery + red budgie smuggler = Augh! Myeyes!!!

svw76
svw76
May 3, 2017 10:40 am

Went to a party with friends and we watched it together. Totally fun.

Skarab
Skarab
May 3, 2017 10:30 am

Vague memories of cheezy, daggy & camp 70s production. I couldn’t get past Sean Connery & his stunningly bad outfit. Apparently Burt Reynolds was the first choice for the role – which would have been more fitting. As the article mentions, Uranus was square his Sun during production & premiere, but i’m surprised they don’t mention that it was also conjunct his Moon & opposite natal Uranus at the beginning & during time of production. As well as trans Chiron being ON his Uranus during this time. That’s a lot of Uranus. Gawd, i’m going to have to watch it… Read more »

Skarab
Skarab
May 3, 2017 2:31 pm
Reply to  Skarab

Wow – just watched it – i really enjoyed it. Loved the shoe-string 70s sci-fi effects. Yes, it has Uranus vibes in as much as it discusses technology & artificial intelligence leading to immortality & all its pitfalls. A look at what happens during detachment of mind from body/Nature.
I’m glad i watched it again – it’s a shame Sean Connery marred its impact on me all these years.
Anyways, thanks for the side trip here.

May 4, 2017 5:08 am
Reply to  Skarab

Dude, you..watched it?

Then watched it again???

And you feel like the shame is all Sean Connery????????????

Where’s your Sag?

Skarab
Skarab
May 4, 2017 7:19 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

Yes & yes – it’s fabulous – in fact i can’t stop thinking about it 24 hrs later. I might have to watch it again! Once you get over Sean Connery & the “THE GUN IS GOOD! THE PENIS IS EVIL” bit it’s so good. The visuals are great The sex stuff was hilarious (sex being obsolete in the life of the Eternals), the genders were leaning towards androgyny – tho they both seemed feminised, curiously enough – I detected an undercurrent of that generation’s (Boorman’s) Chiron transit to Uranus issues. AND opp his Moon. It’s almost as if he… Read more »

Electro
Electro
May 3, 2017 3:59 pm
Reply to  Skarab

Man, maybe I should be making plans for my Uranus opposition t-square a go-go coming up here soon. Watch this for inspiration?

Skarab
Skarab
May 4, 2017 1:08 am
Reply to  Electro

Definitely! And then you should listen to this Uranus anthem 😉

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
May 3, 2017 10:19 am

You lost me at vintage Sean Connery in a banana hammock.

Leo-Scorp Grrrl
Leo-Scorp Grrrl
May 3, 2017 8:38 pm

Hahahaha!

May 3, 2017 8:42 pm

LOve

May 4, 2017 5:06 am

Lost me enough when i vaguely wondered if it was Burt Reynolds

May 4, 2017 6:14 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

Second vague thought was Stacey Keach 😀

MissDee
MissDee
May 3, 2017 8:53 am

I thnk I tried to watch many years ago and decided it was too surreal for me to watch. I am a bit more earthly and some times even very dreamy when it comes to movies but “2001 space odissey” from Kubrick and most of Start Trek movies (or some old fashion Star Wars) is the most sci-fi stuff I can watch. But then again those are nothing compared to Zardoz.

MollyBlueDawn
MollyBlueDawn
May 3, 2017 8:10 am

I have seen it, and it is soooo Uranian that my main response was “I am definitely not on the right drugs for this”

escapist
escapist
May 3, 2017 7:16 am

I love this. My first thought was about spirtuality? Most connect with spirit while in nature. Does Uranian spirituality exist? How would it be represented astrologically ? This will be rolling around in the back of my mind all day. Pluto, Mars and Saturn will all meet in a few short years. Passion, Repression, Depression or a Revival ?I think Jupiter will be close to the cluster too.

Geminian
Geminian
May 3, 2017 6:59 am

So that’s what happens when Uranus squares your Sun? You get to make sci-fi movies with Sean Connery? All I did was change jobs, boyfriends and my living abode. Looks very trippy. Must see it now. I like the book too. I wonder what they have to say about Steven Spielburg and Close Encounters of the Third Kind …

Golightly
Golightly
May 3, 2017 6:58 am

Uh, actually read the synopsis. Yes it is Bond.

Golightly
Golightly
May 3, 2017 6:57 am

is that Sean Connery?!

Alex
Alex
May 4, 2017 3:21 am
Reply to  Golightly

Hahahaha! My thoughts exactly 😀

May 4, 2017 5:05 am
Reply to  Alex

As if my whole world were not already tipping up…Will now channel THIS Connery as my icon for workplace living.

Because my workplace currently deserves it. And will not get 007 from me. Not even remotely.