Joan Didion Is A Classic Sagittarius Personality

Joan Didion in long frock smoking next to her Corvette Stingray

The writer Joan Didion is a classic example of the Sagittarius personality. You see it in her words, style, and even her packing list. She has Sun, Moon, and Venus in the sign. An amazingly prolific writer, she was a New Journalism pioneer. She fearlessly explored fragmented psyches before it was fashionable.

She was more recently a model for Celine, just a few years off her Uranus Return at age 84. Her Saturn Return evocation turned into a cult essay.   In classic Sagittarius style, she drove a Corvette Stingray and flew to Honolulu in lieu of divorce. Her packing list (below) was kept permanently glued to the wardrobe door.

pack_to_wear

Her thoughts on self-respect are also archetypal of the Sagittarius personality. Remember, this sign is – at base – on a quest for Truth & Autonomy.

“There is a common superstition that “self-respect” is a kind of charm against snakes, something that keeps those that have it locked in some unblighted Eden, out of strange beds, ambivalent conversations, and trouble in general.

It does not at all. It has nothing to do with the face of things, but concerns instead a separate peace, a private reconciliation.

To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves – there lies the great, the singular power of self-respect.”

Thoughts?

joan-didion-celeine

kat aqua
kat aqua
December 6, 2016 8:28 pm

Her Mercury at 29 Scorpio…be still my heart. She has that dry wit and analytical and depth psych precision that really cuts to the bone. If you’re a native Californian or have lived in the state for any length of time, I highly recommend her memoir Where I was From. It contains the history and culture of CA that is hardly ever spoken of. I remember loving how she described her ancestry and the pioneer women who first came to the state (yep, Kataka Sun here).

tw:leo
tw:leo
December 5, 2016 10:18 pm

ahhhhhh waaaaaow yes. so pertinent!!

December 5, 2016 2:06 pm

going to read her for tomorrows start of day with fresh eyes and coffee

kriblack
kriblack
December 5, 2016 9:57 am

Ah! Yet another cooler-than-I-will-ever-be woman to be inspired by. Thank you Mystic for all of the amazing women you bring to my attention!

FireTryin'
FireTryin'
December 5, 2016 8:00 am

Yes! Self-respect is all that. I feel it that way now. I have enough self-respect to muddle my way through weird encounters and fuck ups without ripping my heart out and forcing myself into a death march. It’s ok. Mistakes happen. I’m here. I’ll keep learning.

After a vacation where I was relieved of my luggage for the duration, I know I can absolutely live for a short time with a list of items just like Joan’s.

Charley
Charley
December 5, 2016 5:31 am

Love, love, love her and I love this. I lost all my self respect the last 2 years, just re-growing it and working out what it means for me. I should have known Didion would have something to say on the matter.

dizzarina
dizzarina
December 5, 2016 4:07 am

I LOVE THIS

firewheel7
firewheel7
December 5, 2016 3:30 am

I’m a big fan of Joan Didion. Great to see this post. thanks MM

(I share her birthday – however am a child of the early 60s – and for better or worse I have Sagg in Sun, Mercury. Venus and Mars – lol).

Here is link to my fave photo – from the same shoot as the one Mystic posted however she possesses a greater air of insouciance
vhttp://www.vanityfair.com/culture/photos/2014/02/american-cool-miles-davis-madonna#15

December 5, 2016 1:56 am

This almost literally looks like my written lists from other times. The almost being that other items were written in Piscean code including other languages, living and ancient.

But they were ALL on the List.

December 5, 2016 2:04 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

haha yes, Im sans bourbon and cigarettes now but the sentiment is still there. I love the idea of a permenant list for travel

Pedant
Pedant
December 5, 2016 1:14 am

Who did Joan Didion divorce/abandon? I only know about her marriage to John Gregory Dunne, which ended with his death. They were very close – I don’t know of any period where she left him.

December 5, 2016 4:06 am
Reply to  Pedant

“1969: I had better tell you where I am, and why. I am sitting in a high-ceilinged room in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu watching the long translucent curtains billowing in the trade wind and trying to put my life back together. My husband is here, and our daughter, age three. She is blonde and barefoot, a child of paradise in a frangipani lei, and she does not understand why she cannot go to the beach. She cannot go to the beach because there has been an earthquake in the Aleutians, 7.5 on the Richter scale, and a tidal… Read more »

December 5, 2016 4:10 am
Reply to  Sam

(from “In the Islands” – The White Album)
But that article …after the extract just above… Sigh : (

December 5, 2016 4:18 am
Reply to  Sam

sorry. if anyone’s reading. this is page 1

MissDee
MissDee
December 5, 2016 12:59 am

I love this definition of self-respect.
We – or at least I – always blame ourselves for the peeps we meet, but in the end is what you do when you find yourself around the Qi-Vamps and fuqers in general, that matters.

HelioTropical
HelioTropical
December 5, 2016 4:45 pm
Reply to  MissDee

So true, MissDee, I was fresh from making this same conclusion re: delayed recognition of a blatant User less than 5 minutes before finding this post and astonishingly enough turbo-sped through the funkiest of OMG, this again?! How f***ing DUMB do I have to be?? , finding myself in (very new to me) stainless steel, Let’s Clean This Shit OFF, assess-&-reset mode. F***ing THANK YOU, Aquarius Moon ?

HelioTropical
HelioTropical
December 5, 2016 4:47 pm
Reply to  HelioTropical

*!!!*

Jokerman
Jokerman
December 5, 2016 12:58 am

Lol. Only a Fire Venus could like cars like them. For a start they don’t even have a proper roof.

December 6, 2016 3:06 am
Reply to  Jokerman

You would say that, as a cancerian…. Incomplete shell so to speak : D

Jokerman
Jokerman
December 6, 2016 3:22 am
Reply to  Sam

Never thought of that till ya said it.
I was thinking my 2H Mars cj Venus in Virgo goes why buy a car that
1)costs more to buy
2) costs more to insure
3) is more likely to be broken into
4) costs more on fuel
5)leaks
6)when you roll it you are then smashed sardines
7) lacks the handling integrity of a proper monocoque construction.

kat aqua
kat aqua
December 6, 2016 8:32 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

My Aries Moon Kataka Sun fully agrees with this analysis. I want the sleek design, handling, and speed, but my goodness it also needs to built as much like a tank as possible.

December 5, 2016 12:50 am

Mystic, I´m laughing! this is the best post right now you have no idea I am packing with a very similar list and aspirations. So nice to see a sag moon-venus doing it right, I need inspiration. I think I have a new muse. <3

Isn´t it a moon sag thing to fly after breakups – I need space, like another country? I always forget to come back though

If you swapped that corvette stingray with a mustang 67 or 68 and a black dress this is literally my dream life. I absolutely love that quote.

December 5, 2016 3:08 am
Reply to  Ms.

Yes, and if you can;t afford to fly you’ll get on a bike to feel the wind in your hair and teeth. In between packing all the boxes to move.

Like there’s no tomorrow.

Or, no, like there’s ONLY tomorrow.

December 5, 2016 1:57 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

ah yeah, hitch hike, cartwheel, whatever

December 5, 2016 3:09 am
Reply to  Ms.

Can so super SEE you in that black slinky billow, outside and in your mustang, Ms.

December 5, 2016 1:59 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

thanks Mille, one day ….

tw:leo
tw:leo
December 5, 2016 10:16 pm
Reply to  Ms.

this makes me giddy! <3

Sophia
Sophia
December 4, 2016 11:59 pm

I will be walking to work with the spirit of Joan Didion

loubuz
loubuz
December 4, 2016 11:24 pm

Joan Didions 1961 Vogue article, ‘Self-respect: It’s source, it’s power’ is absolutely worth a read. Excellent article!

December 4, 2016 9:54 pm

I love her writing SO much.

December 4, 2016 10:02 pm
Reply to  Sam

The White Album was a kind of bible for me this year. Not in an instructional sense but something about her tone and approach to subject matter.

December 4, 2016 10:17 pm
Reply to  Sam

Thanks for the reminder mystic! : )

quintile
quintile
December 4, 2016 9:53 pm

great writer, great quotes and great post – love this take on self-respect, drawing from one’s own internal ‘compass’ not an external social one.

joolz
joolz
December 4, 2016 8:58 pm

As they used to say about Beyonce: YAAASSS QUEEN.

Speaking as another multi-Sag, ambivalent and strange beds, conversations and trouble are pretty much a given, sometimes simultaneously…

December 4, 2016 8:22 pm

Fuq I needed this right now.

The cap moon (and Venus, Pluto, Merc) has brought me all sorts of status anxiety and self doubt.

This is brilliant.

I agree with her. Having it doesn’t make all the schizz go away, but it does make it easier to deal with.

Seabird
Seabird
December 5, 2016 3:39 am

I love this too and needed it desperately. I am so buoyed up by reading it I might be able to sleep properly tonight for the first time in days….

Kara Wight
Kara Wight
December 4, 2016 7:01 pm

Mmmmmm yesss I feel it so hard. Been feeling it so much. It is so good. I deem it self esteem; we’re talking about the same thing. I also call it the sacred silence and that in me which is not only me and which may be in everything yet is surely in me and can always be accessed and my doubts put to rest thereby. It lives in my navel region. I wonder what her second house looks like, and how it looked by transit when she wrote that… I think of this inner resourcefulness as a 2nd house… Read more »

Meredith
Meredith
December 4, 2016 6:59 pm

Love this. We Sagi-Sun ladies only need 1 bra. ^^

Meredith
Meredith
December 4, 2016 6:59 pm
Reply to  Meredith

And if we have more than 1, there’s always that 1 that is the fave.

virgosun

Yes. Just the one.

And no knickers…??

Jokerman
Jokerman
December 4, 2016 10:25 pm
Reply to  Freogirl

Please don’t tell me no knickers.

marsbar
marsbar
December 6, 2016 4:09 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

It’s true…I’m Sag asc and we hate foundation garments unless they are super stretchy and comfy…and maybe then….but they can’t impede any of our movements.

Jokerman
Jokerman
December 6, 2016 5:27 pm
Reply to  marsbar

all this no knicker talk makes me tremble.

Charley
Charley
December 5, 2016 5:29 am
Reply to  Freogirl

My Sag stellium hates underwear!

Blanca
Blanca
December 5, 2016 12:37 pm
Reply to  Charley

Sagg asc. I LOATHE bras. So constricting and unnecessary. I think they’re a waste of money and a waste of physical effort (both to put on and take off).

I’m still not candid enough to float about with cold nips though…. I stick with cotton bralettes in neutral colors. No more than two at a time. Easy.

December 5, 2016 2:01 pm
Reply to  Freogirl

I only wear knickers when I have to.
and sex, when needed.
Day life underwear is a CHORE

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
December 5, 2016 6:41 am
Reply to  Meredith

That’s funny – I would vote Sag Sun women “Least likely to wear a bra” period! That, and anyone I know with a fair kick of this sign prominent tends to be a nudist at heart – they seem to love being au natural as much as possible. Personally, IDK how they do it – this is a Fire sign that tends to be really active and I don’t think I could handle my tits bouncing around while on a run. Then there is the matter of the whole high-beam issue created by going sans brassiere…. Besides, I’m a Venus/Pluto… Read more »