Palo Santo Can Be Too Cloying For Saturn People

palo-santo-tree

I am in love with Palo Santo at the moment. But it can be too cloying for Saturn People or Saturn transits.

If you don’t know it, it means “holy tree” or “sacred tree,” and it originates from South America. Apparently, no tree is felled to obtain the Palo Santo. The little chips are collected from the dead branches that fall from the tree. Or so I am told? Truth? Or propaganda? I’d hate to think yet another blessing of Gaia was destroyed for money.

To burn these little wood chips has a similar effect to sage in that it is said to be magical and to clear energy, scare away ghosts/vampires, etc. But it feels more warm and nourishing. Even just having the wood sitting in a corner or someplace appropriate is aromatic and comforting.  And, bonus: it does not make your house smell like you’re a super-enthusiastic pothead as, let’s face it, sage/mugwort smudging can.

Saturn type people or anyone during a Saturn transit can find it too cloying. If you’re finding everything too patchouli or reminiscent of a rancid damp Yin Yoga bolster, bang some metal about. It’s brilliant for elevating heavy Saturnine energy. Palo Santo is more soothing and reassuring.

Palo Santo Can Be Too Cloying For Saturnine People And Saturn Transits

Mine is from Page Thirty Three and incredible.  If you were ever to do a massive house-witch bender – like in the Dark Moon before a New Moon Eclipse or when you wanted to shift some stale old energy around and out, stirring a veritable vortex of Qi, you would do Sage Smudging AND Palo Santo + my insanely cool space clearing music.

You could unclutter like you were an Elite Swat Team Operative Declutterer on a deadline, fling salt around like the Ancient Romans used to do for a psychic cleanse, vacuum that up, wipe everything down with an oil infusion, smudge with Sage and then burn the Palo Santo.  Or, definitely consider it for the next time you’re in that Urban Shaman Vibe.  It’s soothing post-break-up, for melancholy or on a hormonal low also.

, , , ,

Paddy
Paddy
April 30, 2018 3:15 pm

It’s also is endangered, so what you maybe purchasing could be leading to the extinction of this beautiful tree. There are a lot of other options.

Universali
Universali
December 4, 2016 4:51 pm

I popped into a shop this morning after my swim to find some cotton clothing for summer (i hate wearing clothes in summer!) anyway blah blah..on the counter they had little bags of Palo Santo for sale with the smudge sticks. I had never tried it before either…it’s gorgeous!

December 4, 2016 4:19 pm

Got to try it 🙂

babysinclair
babysinclair
December 4, 2016 8:29 am

I love it too!

clara bartlett
clara bartlett
December 4, 2016 5:36 am

Hi everyone!!! I’m so excited share this testimony here about how i got my ex husband back after a break up. I’m Clara 28 yr old from UK, it has become a testimony that i most share among our society today and i hold a very strong stand against it, that is why i have put it as a must for me to spread the news about Dr Ahmed as it is a place to resolve marriage/relationship issues, do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or Do you want your Ex to come… Read more »

December 4, 2016 4:18 pm
Reply to  clara bartlett

What is this spam/crap? Love zombie spam? OMG

Annabelle
Annabelle
December 3, 2016 5:51 pm

omg i just need to say this – not related to post MM YOUR HOROSCOPES ARE SO SPOT ON i want to vomit love hearts.

So good.

Jokerman
Jokerman
December 3, 2016 6:22 pm
Reply to  Annabelle

Lovesick?

Jokerman
Jokerman
December 3, 2016 4:59 pm

I thought it was like some saintly Mexican avenger on a white horse.

Alouetta
Alouetta
December 3, 2016 4:54 pm

I was given some Palo Santo incense as a gift. Beautiful and related to frankincense so no wonder. I agree with astraeagold’s comment though – it’s worth spending some time looking for ethical distributors as it seems there’s a lot of illegal logging going on: http://www.floracopeia.com/about/ecuador-palo-santo-project/

sphinx
sphinx
December 4, 2016 5:04 am
Reply to  Alouetta

Thanks for link – I posted above by mistake!

Alouetta
Alouetta
December 4, 2016 1:32 pm
Reply to  sphinx

Got it! 🙂

fishgirl
fishgirl
December 3, 2016 4:32 pm

I discovered Palo Santo after staying in an air bnb in Glebe this year with an acrobatic yoga instructor who had the most amazing vibe – and so did the house. As i was leaving she said “it’s cause i burn Palo Santo in that room after every guest” and so i hunted it down in Melbourne, they sell it really cheaply at Spellbox in Royal Arcade. For a vata-pitta type like me, the smell is really grounding and soothing. Oh yeah and she also said she waves the smoke around under the aerial yoga straps so the participants feel… Read more »

Belle
Belle
December 3, 2016 1:00 pm

Well yeah every time I burn sage I feel I’m sharing something in common with my neighbours.. wink 🙂

sphinx
sphinx
December 4, 2016 5:02 am
Reply to  Belle

Thank you for this. I lived there and they sell two lunch bags of palo santo for a few dollars. It’s good to know ps is being attempted to be protected in Machalilla.
But given their government allow Japanese fishing ships into Galapagos and the coast is near bereft of life due to trawlers we can only hope. Such a jewel of a country!

sphinx
sphinx
December 4, 2016 5:03 am
Reply to  sphinx

Oops this was for Alouetta!

Hiona Henare
Hiona Henare
December 3, 2016 12:30 pm

“super-enthusiastic pothead as, let’s face it, sage/mugwort smudging can”

So all first nations people smell like super-enthusiastic potheads? Bit of a weird statement.

Ali
Ali
December 3, 2016 1:45 pm
Reply to  Hiona Henare

I turned up at school to pick up the kids after smudging with sage, and I was chatting with the school principal in the playground. His nostrils flared a little bit, and he asked me whether I’d been smoking pot.

Mystic was speaking from her own cultural context, which I can relate to.

astraeagold
astraeagold
December 3, 2016 12:23 pm

I also love Palo Santo, tho I use it sparingly – as others have said, it is a lovely light smell compared to other plants used for smudging. However a note of caution. Its recent popularity means that concerns have been raised regarding its sustainability. Traditionally the parts used are the fallen leaves and branches, but in recent years illegal harvesting and the cutting down of trees has become a problem despite laws to protect it for example by the governments of Ecuador and Peru. It grows in many countries in South America. For this reason, it is important to… Read more »

Alouetta
Alouetta
December 3, 2016 4:39 pm
Reply to  astraeagold

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering if it might be going the way of Indian sandalwood.

astraeagold
astraeagold
December 4, 2016 12:01 am
Reply to  Alouetta

Yes, it’s a problem for lots of the imported natural products we use. When they come from across the globe we don’t have a connection with how they grow, whether they are plentiful or not, whether they have been cultivated or harvested in the wild…so many questions. But consumers do have options – sometimes we can grow the plants we need, otherwise we can ask suppliers for information about their source, and use our purchasing power to support those suppliers who are doing the right thing. Like the link you provide below, Alouetta.

rachel
rachel
December 3, 2016 11:51 am

I make and sell a smoke-free spritz made from palo santo infused oil! My mother in law lives in Peru half the year–love palo santo. Burning it is the best obviously, the spritz is good for on the go needs though–on a bus, elevator etc.

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
December 3, 2016 11:38 am

Palo Santo really does do an excellent job of setting up Sacred Space! Unfortunately, the scent of it burning always gives me a really sharp headache, so its smoke must give off some kind of compound that just does not agree with me. 🙁 However, I was recently gifted some pinon incense and that has become my new go-to for smudging. I find it to be similarly warm in feel (pine IS Mars-ruled, after all), but believe it or not I also catch a really Venusian hit off it. After my very first smudging with pinon, the vibes in my… Read more »

Electro
Electro
December 3, 2016 11:53 am

I love piñon! Yessss! I lived in the Midwest/Southwest area for a bit and got hooked but haven’t sighted it here in the East. Silly me, I should probably try the Internet.

Scorpio_Rising
Scorpio_Rising
December 3, 2016 11:32 am

heavenly, love it.

Kim L
Kim L
December 3, 2016 9:54 am

This is cray Mystic — I have been burning Palo Santo every day for the last week, as I’m work-vacationing in Florida until the new year, staying with my family, and trying to naturally mask any marijuana scent coming from my life into theirs. It has brightened and purified my mood and I’m thinking of making it so much more of a regular thing.

marsbar
marsbar
December 3, 2016 9:49 am

Palo Santo forever!

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
December 3, 2016 9:18 am

mite have to invest, would like to know how it smells…

Charley
Charley
December 3, 2016 8:28 am

Yes! I love it. It makes me instantly happy.

Electro
Electro
December 3, 2016 7:42 am

I am also in love! I burn it while I’m in the bathtub and the smell lasts a few days. It’s so relaxing to breathe air onto it and watch it burn.

Arienaquancer
Arienaquancer
December 3, 2016 7:20 am

I like the idea of it, but it usually gives me a headache. Rooibos and jasmine teas do the same thing, so maybe they all have a compound in common.

kriblack
kriblack
December 3, 2016 8:33 am
Reply to  Arienaquancer

I’m with you. I have some and I occasionally get the urge to use it but I always find the scent cloying afterwards. Sorry bout the teas though, jasmine tea is one of the joys of my life.

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
December 3, 2016 11:42 am
Reply to  Arienaquancer

OMG, you too?! Rooibos does not bother me though and the touchiness of jasmine tea (it gets hella bitter if it steeps too long!) makes me not particularly care for it, but no headaches.

geminirising
geminirising
December 3, 2016 7:14 am

My nanny when i was growing up in a little beach town in the north of Perú was a lovely Virgo woman that taught me all about cleaning my aura. She used to clean the energy of my house with Palo Santo and some flower waters that she made herself. She died this year because Saturn-Neptune, but i am forever grateful that she taught me these things 🙂

kriblack
kriblack
December 3, 2016 8:29 am
Reply to  geminirising

I’m sorry for your loss, she sounds lovely. Having grown up in a strictly atheist, nothing exists that’s not scientifically provable, family, I find the idea of people teaching children about magical/spiritual traditions delightful. My inner child is enchanted by your story.

Goldengirl
Goldengirl
December 3, 2016 6:47 am

Palo santo is my jam!!!!! I wear the oil as a scent and people always wonder what it is. I loOove smelling like palo santo all the time!

krs3
krs3
December 3, 2016 6:36 am

This one is my favorite. When my ex and I were splitting but he was still living here I burned it NON-STOP. I also had to have fresh flowers around al the time. Now I like to have them around but I don’t *need* them in the same urgent way. I didn’t burn palo for a while but now I’m looking to move and am full on again smudging everyday. Saturn is in my 4th and everything needs moving all the time cause that dude is heavy.

Lisa
Lisa
December 3, 2016 4:42 am

I LOVE Paulo santo also – was told once that while safe is like an excorsism, PS is more subtle. ‘My favourite ???

alchemy-salt
alchemy-salt
December 3, 2016 4:30 am

This is so weirdly timely (I feel like all of my comments on your blogs begin with that!) – I was given my first piece of palo santo last week and I’m totally in love with it. It came with a little ribbon tied round it and I can’t bear to burn it, it’s currently sitting on my bedside table. The smell and feel of it are beautiful, it’s comforting just to hold it. I will have to invest in some more pieces to burn so I can keep this one next to my bed!

rachel
rachel
December 3, 2016 11:53 am
Reply to  alchemy-salt

It is so slow burning, it will last a good while! <3

alchemy-salt
alchemy-salt
December 3, 2016 12:09 pm
Reply to  rachel

Ah, that’s good to know, thank you! In that case I’m going to smoke the heck out of my house and self 😀

Zoi Spirytin