How to sage a house? Here are ten brilliant tips to maximize this super-effective, fast-working practical magic.
Many ancient cultures used saging (also known as smudging) to elevate energy and clear spaces. If incense sanctifies space, sage is the ultimate space clearer.
So here are my top ten tips for how to “sage” brilliantly.
(1) Be prepared for your neighbors to think you are a gigantic pothead. It smells like weed billowing out of the house. You can either say that you’re Pagan, into “indigenous customs” or a witch. Alternatively, devise a way in which the stoner image could be advantageous to you. A third way? Care less.
(2) Choose a reputable brand, one that is committed to sustainable agriculture, wild-crafting or organics.
(3) To sage a house, room or a person, light it and wander around the place waving it, feeling the smoke cleanse the air. It does more than that of course; it removes negativity and lifts the vibe. Saging shifts stagnation of the soul and psyche.
(4) Clean and declutter your house beforehand. Saging otherwise is like putting moisturizer on a dirty face. It does not feel right. But there are definitely exceptions to this. If something acute has occurred, such as bad news or a horrible conversation, just sage. Who cares if there is rubbish or clutter? Your aim then is to give yourself and house some cosmic first aid.
Never Sage While Even Slightly High Or Drunk
(5) But if you have more time, thoughtfully declutter beforehand. As you wander from room to room, let your intuition guide you to pockets that feel darker or denser. Note also what occurs to you as meander about – often sage will prompt realizations or releases. Be prepared for it to shift some things that you don’t feel ready to let go of yet – as well as the crap you consciously want to go.
(6) Never sage or smudge while high or even slightly drunk. I am sure some people would disagree with this. And I am aware that there is a strong argument for the ritual use of some substances. BUT in my opinion, any energy shifting work can stir things up and just as doing (say) a candida cleanse can evoke a herxheimer reaction, so can doing a sage smudge. And it’s old witch/magic lore that alcohol-drug use can make you more porous to negative energy. Sobriety works better for energy work.
(7) What if you have a real situation going down – as in you feel under psychic threat or just not in a good place? First do what you have to practically do – call a friend, police, a therapist. But once things are contained and you’re calm enough for magic, do this: line the threshold with salt and reach for the heavier duty version of sage – mugwort. The Latin name for this herb is “Artemesia” or herb of Artemis; It is said to be the most magic herb ever. That’s despite its banal-sounding name – my theory has always been that it was called thus to keep persecutors from realizing its powers.
Artemesia Is Herb Of Artemis – It Was Called Mugwort To Deter The Witch-Hunters
(8) Sage lightens the energy and induces calm. Do it regularly or make it part of a weekly sage/cleanse ritual and you WILL notice the difference in your space AND consciousness. It is particularly brilliant to do on the Dark Moon, those days just before the New Moon. But once you get used to it, you begin to know when you need it.
(9) In a hurry? You can just smudge your aura – wave the sage around your entire body – remembering to lift each foot to do underneath and set the intent that you don’t carry any psychic grunge in your aura, no barbs, no grotty residue from the resentment or ill intent of another.
(10) Sage is a sacred, ancient and magical plant – to be treated with respect – but that does not mean you cannot deploy it for simple means. It is fantastic for dispelling a Love Zombie trance or for banishing that sort of hopeless, stagnant feeling when you think you’re stuck or trapped. If you’re using it for an apparent reason like this, combine it with an action plan, scrawled out right after the saging.
Access Horoscopes, Insta-Tarot, Oracle & more
Join the thousands of happy Mega Mystic members, who are enjoying Mystic’s unique, modern and empowering take on the ancient art of horoscopes & all things Astrology. With an all-access membership