“The dream is a little hidden door in the innermost and most secret recesses of the psyche.”
Those of you whom have been hanging around here for a while will know that i think dreams (as in the nightly dreams we have whilst asleep, not dreams as in idealism) are super important to psychic health. They are the most simple way to do so-called past life regression, free therapy and a brilliant way to tap into the infinite wisdom of something else out there.
And with the Full Moon Eclipse in Pisces + Shamanic Neptune newly out from under the scrutiny of Saturn, NOW is a fantastic time to start upping your dream practice. But how? Here are some quick and random refreshers for it you’ve lost touch with your subliminals of late.
- Don’t read your phone in bed before you go to sleep and definitely don’t some quick and turgid tabloid surf or hypochondriac check-list freak out. You can’t your consciousness clear. Plus my Libra Naturopath says that the light from the phone fuqs with your melatonin – the hormone of darkness – big-time. It makes your body think it is morning time and it starts pumping out ‘seize the day’ type neuro-transmission.
- Weird tip for sleeping in general. If you wake up in the middle of the night and realize you are mouth breathing, consider getting some of those little “breathe right” strips to gently encourage nose breathing. Or see a professional obviously. Nose breathing all night is one of the most super rejuvenating things you can do – it apparently prompts your body to manufacture a magical antioxidant created no other way.
- YES keep the damn dream diary already. It can be a scrappy little notebook from your local whatever store or the fanciest stationery fetish item you can lay your gleaming claws on. It does not matter. The point is that as soon as you start writing down even the basic themes of your dreams, it’s like the dreams themselves know you are taking note and become more pointed. It also means that as you read back over the dream journal, you start to understand the language of your own subconscious and its different terrains. While there are broad symbol meanings out there, only YOU can truly interpret your own dreams properly and this simply takes practice.
- Consider Reishi or Holy Basil tea about an hour before bed. You are supposed to make your pre-bed vibe as mellow and cave-like as possible, again for optimal rejuvenation and hormones. You can also consider essential oils to enhance dreaming but be careful with these! I like sandalwood as it is so basic and relaxing but obviously experiment for what works with you. If you’re a real pro, you can try Mugwort tea but i tried this ONCE and found it way too powerful. I had a dream SO lucid that i swear it was another dimension.
- Poor digestion or trying to assimilate shitty foods/alcohol while you sleep can not only give you nightmares, it gives you off-mission dreams. Like, have you ever had a dream that felt like it was not for you? Or of you? I am convinced that is somehow your body trying to deal with a chemical it can’t remotely recognize or a weird gut reaction to dairy or something. They say most serotonin is gut manufactured so this resonates.
Image: Inge Vandormael