Ask Mystic: A Vital Hair Question

ellenterry1

Hey Mystic, I’m a new subscriber and love your scopes but I have a beauty related question for you.

I’m a Pisces (Leo Ascendant) and true to form I was thinking about a new look for my hair. Am a natural brunette (more mousy brown than luscious – not fuqing cool), went blonde a while ago but its been growing out and looking brassy and bleh.

I’ve been going through this weird phase where I actually think I look half decent despite my hair being a mess right now. (I’m curious to know if this has anything to do with Jupiter or some other planet. Jupiter has been hanging around near my apartment wink emoticon )

I’ve never had “fun” hair before and am thinking about doing a moody/subtle /muted pastel look. I think I have found the right hairdressers but I don’t have the extra funds right now. I know mercury is in retrograde and am not sure if this is the right time to make massive changes to my hair.

To get to the point my question to you is this: do you have any idea when the best time to make a big hair change is over the next few months? Will have to save up but I am a bit nervous as I’ve never had colourful hair. My choices are usually pretty tame. Cheers!

Amazing Hair Questing Pisces

Dear Amazing Hair Questing Pisces,

Okay thank you!  And the revamped Scheduler is going to have great hair dates (etc) in it. But in the meantime, next week – May 12 to 15 – is Venus in link to Pluto, the Change God. And Venus is in Taurus, sign of her grace and sanctuary. Mercury WILL be Retro so you need to be careful with the communication. Control freak the whole thing. Take pix and ask questions.

But there is MORE here than just your hair. Why is thinking you look “half decent” a “weird phase?”  With Leo Rising, your version of your hair being “a mess” may not be aligned with general hair consciousness of society, just so you know. It’s like when Libra people say they “reek” because they were not able to do the full ritual.

Also, i am not a hair broker but seriously if you want fun hair, you can d.i.y. yes? It’s the super-natural ‘born like this’ wheaten hues that cost the $$$ & require pros. “Fun” hair is but some chemist shop gunk, a glass of wine and some Schoolboy Q away – right?

And, Jupiter hanging around near your apartment?  I like the sound of this, i think.

So some Pisces Sun – Leo Rising hair icons for your research.

Above is Ellen Terry – the most famous actor of her (19th Century) day. Sometimes called “the first superstar” she led a flagrantly bohemian life (by the standards of that time) and she scandalized with her hair. Even more than with her multiple marriages and all.

Glenn Close

Glenn Close, still super relevant and happening a decade after her second Saturn Return. This is the mature Leo Rising vibe at its best. Simple, pared back and with a glow derived in part from yoga, in part from power.  The hair says ‘not succumbing to gray or silver cougar‘ but nor is it some whacked out extension trip.

And i am including Rita Ora here as she IS Leo Rising – albeit Saggo Sun/Pisces Moon – because she was the chief proponent/trend initiator of pink/blue hair. I realize this is debatable. But Ora has recently gone back to pure platinum. And i actually think this works for Leo Rising – Leo Rising = the Sun/Yellow/Gold.

Also, when Jupiter is hanging around your – um – apartment, you can think in terms of drastic this and drastic that. But why not an interim trim/toning down the brassiness before the big hair morph?

Rita Ora

Tessa
Tessa
May 9, 2016 10:55 pm

Leo rising here too (with lots more fire in the chart) and I finally went red! Bright copper 🙂 from naturally super dark brown / black, so a huge change. I started bleaching and henna-ing in December, because I wanted the red to be natural-looking and stay bright long-term… finally have my perfect color several rounds later. Maybe it’s all the fire but I really do think Leo rocks the red hair… I know I’m thrilled!

Jojobe
Jojobe
May 9, 2016 10:11 am

Oh FAB timing. I’d just scheduled my first haircut in 5 years for this Friday. Going for a shorter cut w/ dip-dye light lavender edges. I have almost-black virgin hair so I’m appreciating the hair confidence from y’all!! Looking forward to it–end of an era, marked by mane

Lionfish
Lionfish
May 9, 2016 6:44 am

Pisces Sun with Leo Rising. When my hair is boring, I’m boring. A week ago my friend bleached my natural light mahogany brown and now i have a lilac pixie cut actually more spiky than pixie. It suits me. Many people told me i look more like myself. I agree.

Tessa
Tessa
May 9, 2016 10:57 pm
Reply to  Lionfish

“When my hair is boring, I’m boring” — couldn’t agree more!!! I feel exactly this way myself.

Porkchop
Porkchop
May 9, 2016 5:15 am

Gemini rising. I went to the hairdresser a month ago expecting to get my golden hair touched up. Hairdresser thinks I need a bit of ‘warmth’ (seems to come out of the blue, given I have had blonde-ish hair for the past few years). Walk out with bright red hair!! Faded quickly to a natural copper shade and now I love it. I had been feeling like I could use some kind of change but thought I would never want to stop being blonde. Had to get new makeup to match my hair. The only downside is the upkeep –… Read more »

Tessa
Tessa
May 9, 2016 11:00 pm
Reply to  Porkchop

This is why I went the henna route for my red hair. It’s a bit more involved, but the color lasts and I don’t use any products! Mind you, only pure plant henna is what I mean, as there are lots of “henna” products out there mixed with metallic salts and the like that can ruin hair. But real henna can go on over bleach & even streaked over!

Year of the Phoenix
Year of the Phoenix
May 9, 2016 2:36 am

Venus in Leo so totally get it

After years of Bergdorf blonde for a fortune I decided I would take it into my own hands and just mix up a bit Norwegian from Priceline and paint it o. where the sun shines a wa la looks fab! The look I have been describing to hairdressers for years and just do it myself for next to nothing and my fingers crossed!

sphinx
sphinx
May 9, 2016 12:53 am

Bit interested in Ora’s chart, she is always in the blinds about some amorous entanglement or another.

sphinx
sphinx
May 9, 2016 12:58 am
Reply to  sphinx

Ok I see why, Sun/Venus/Merc/Lilith in Party Girl Sagg, Jupiter Ascending in Leo and Moon in ‘whatever you want reflected back at you’ Pisces. Plus ambition (Sat/NN) in Cap.

The Venus Fly
The Venus Fly
May 8, 2016 11:59 pm

I love being Mahogany brown. I’ve dyed my hair twice in my lifetime and I like my hair like I like my men’s hair – brunette all the way 🙂

S
S
May 8, 2016 8:01 pm

As a curly girl, I’ve spent a fortune on my hair over the years. Being called Medusa or Cher as a teen, didn’t really help my confidence. I’ve been almost every colour, due to extensive stalking. Today I had my regrowth done and a treatment for the ends. I am growing out an inexperienced hairdresser whom used thinning scissors. I now have two hairdressing options whom are Japanese. So I am learning their lovely culture and they involve me in the process. The curse of being a Queenslander is the humidity. I have been slowly removing sulfate, alcohol and parabens… Read more »

May 9, 2016 4:41 am
Reply to  S

Hello, I too am a Curly Girl 🙂 Been following the protocol for the last few years & wow what a difference it’s made! Getting off the chem colors has done wonders too. For us, less is definitely more!

Are you familiar with this line http://www.sheamoisture.com ? Their hair products (& everything else) are divine & affordable. Even here in rural US, they’re stocked at all the major retailers too. So I can inhale them before buying (Libra moon appreciates) ahhhhh

Lili
Lili
May 9, 2016 8:26 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

Ooh! Wonder if mid-west stores carry these cool products. Checking them out!!

leoliza
leoliza
May 9, 2016 6:38 am
Reply to  S

Curly Leo sun/rising/venus/uranus…yes ..NO sulfates! I’ve used the deva curls “NO POO” line..its awesome for curly/frizzy…also do not use regular towels to dry hair…use microfiber or t-shirts…gently squeeze water out. My leo mane loves the stuff and its been soft and smooth (and full..lawdy I really don’t need fuller but its all good)

May 8, 2016 6:26 pm

I got so tired of my dark brown/silver-streaked hair over the last 6 months or so. I needed a change. A big one. I considered dreadlocks. Box braids. A real mohawk. Going blue. White. Highlights, lowlights. Finally I decided to start simply & just begin with a fresh haircut & Hot Damn that was exactly the look I was feeling! Nothing more necessary.

So I say, begin simply. Then see what you feel like 😉 Have fun!

May 8, 2016 6:34 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

(When you’re greying, esp if you’re still young enough that your culture expects you not to be, then not coloring your hair becomes pretty subversive all by itself. Remember that 😉 )

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
May 9, 2016 5:03 am
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

I love my silver streaks and couldn’t fathom dying them – Saturn is exalted in Libra and we Leebs do love an opportunity to age gracefully.

I find honest wear (on men OR women) highly appealing, as it shows an easy comfort with being in your own skin. It is bereft of pretense, and that kind of natural confidence exudes an energy that all the dye/product in the world can’t compensate for, IMO.

May 9, 2016 6:08 am

Totally agree!

Lili
Lili
May 9, 2016 8:21 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

YESSS! Although tamed silver subtly recently.

sphinx
sphinx
May 8, 2016 8:48 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

Hahah! Hot Damn! A trim will do that to you! Also don’t know what to do.. thinking about a fringe (bangs). But I like it for two weeks then get annoyed with it usually. After growing it out few years go by and I repeat the process.. My hair is fine and mousey and I am now getting some silver through it which is pretty cool. But it just looks unkempt and I haven’t bothered with my home dyes so diligently since I tested off the chart for bismuth (found in hair dye). I have craved dreads ALL my life,… Read more »

May 9, 2016 4:18 am
Reply to  sphinx

😀 My cut was pretty intense: I went from one-length down to the small of my back, to above the shoulders with layers– 9″ off! What I really love is the volume I have now, & the layers are long enough that I can still do up-dos if I want (classy) or I can make my hair *big* with 10 mins + a bit of product (Einstein/Bernie Sanders/Bride of Frankie– my fave look haha). It took two years of growing out my hair to finally be rid of fake color (& the damage it does). Lots of hats & scarves… Read more »

Lili
Lili
May 9, 2016 8:22 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

Ankh, we have the same muse/ mine was about six inches off- ditto layers and volume.

May 10, 2016 3:11 am
Reply to  Lili

Ah we look marvelous, Kell darling!

Aishah108
Aishah108
May 8, 2016 6:07 pm

Tradition in India follows that hair should only be cut on a waxing moon, this promotes growth. If you cut on a waning moon, the hair won’t grow as fast. This is from a country where long locks are a status symbol. xx

GoldieCat
GoldieCat
May 8, 2016 9:34 pm
Reply to  Aishah108

Oooh I am the asker of the question and I *love* this. Timing hair appointments with moon cycles seems *SO* apt for me right now. Have been getting very into astrology lately. I don’t know what it is but I don’t feel grounded unless I keep at least one eye on my star chart and what is happening in the wider universe. I can go without knowing what is going on on planet earth for a week at a time without problems but If I do not keep an eye on the stars I get stuck in my own head/world… Read more »

Rosa
Rosa
May 8, 2016 6:01 pm

This Saggo Sun, Pisces Rising is thinking of redoing her hair a scarlet red with a turquoise strand. My natural ginger is coming through and although it is lovely, I really need to vamp myself up for this difficult year. Get the war paint going.

Pegasus
Pegasus
May 8, 2016 4:35 pm

To go one shade lighter at home, Decore Ultra Blonde 4 avail at supermarkets & chemists. Mix 1/4 and dilute it 50% water. Leave on for 5-10 minutes all over, will give your hair a boost and give it body if fine hair.Or you can do one c’meter strand at full strength leave approx 30 mins depending on how easy it is to lighten.Ashy brown usually 30-40 mins, then colour it whatever, violet, pink etc. If you like it do a few more. Have found Decore Ultra Blonde 4 closest to salon ‘Blue Art’ powder only avail to professionals and… Read more »

May 9, 2016 12:59 am
Reply to  Pegasus

pegs , you’re the best. truly the best. XO

Pegasus
Pegasus
May 9, 2016 6:37 pm
Reply to  Sam

O Pi-sie, what a sweetie are you. Thanx for the heads up so to speak. x backatcha.

supakali
supakali
May 8, 2016 4:34 pm

I would think Merc rx could be awesome for reviewing style and nothing to be concerned about – that would be Venus, and Venus is moving into orb of the Sun (hair) so i think this is a good time! enjoy your fresh (head)start 😉

MutableMabel
MutableMabel
May 8, 2016 4:33 pm

OP, are you friends/following any hair folk on social media? Stylists frequently need cut/color models. Maybe seize an opportunity, take a risk, and get it all done for free?

Jan
Jan
May 8, 2016 11:10 pm
Reply to  MutableMabel

Yes! For those who can’t decide but also want a change this can be a great idea. I have modelled on and off for about 10 years and have had some stunning cuts and colours, none of which I’d ever think of if left to my own devices. Sometimes they will charge for product but often it’s free.

May 8, 2016 4:27 pm

Go for it girl! A bit of internet research and you’ll be right.

Can’t waiiit for Feng Shui Your Wardrobe either,….I’m sure the principles apply to hair as well…..

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
May 8, 2016 4:13 pm

I too am Pisces w Leo rising. My hair is my super-power and I totally get that all hair questions are ‘vital’ lol AHQP – If the new look is going to be expensive and Merc is retrograde you could consider simply starting the relationship with your new hairdresser and taking it slow, before you go for the big change. IE go for a trim, get to know the new peeps, see if you like the vibe of the salon etc and help them get to know you. In what you write, you seem certain about the hairdresser but not… Read more »

Victoria
Victoria
May 8, 2016 12:10 pm

As Leo Rising Saggie Sun, I have found that my best look is a light brunette base with blonde highlights. I vary the brightness and lightness of the blonde highlights depending on the season, the event I’m going to, my mood, current fashion, etc. All-over brunette does not suit me; I love the Leo depth and drama of blonde highlights.

Invicta
Invicta
May 8, 2016 11:50 am

Ha
I have Glen Close hair ATM. Kind of soft platinum and short, all back like that. It’s easy although my Venus in Leo finds it too un glam, I’m prepping for trip to India (yoga teacher training) so I need to keep things simple.
Speaking of Yoga.
Wow.
Today I did that double pigeon pose in a 2 hour class focused on hip stretching. Intense or what?
Just done an hour of yin and feel amazing.

Annica
Annica
May 8, 2016 6:53 am

I don’t know why people think mousy brown is such an awful hair colour. I think it is the best because you can transition to any colour easily. You guys are so lucky! Followed by natural red haired folks who don’t go grey, they just turn blonde! In the 80’s there was this mouse colour you can rub unto your hair for plum, red, or blondeish tones. As a raven haired person, i couldn’t join in any fun that my mouse sisters could. 🙁 For me to do a hair transformation more than 2 shades lighter, it requires several hours… Read more »

Freogirl
Freogirl
May 8, 2016 11:27 pm
Reply to  Annica

Yes, I’ve always thought myself a mousey brown – although my hairdresser insists it is ‘dark blonde’ lol. What’s in a name eh?? But I have successfully coloured my hair everything from platinum (streaks, ala Madonna in the 80s); golden blonde; light auburn (very successful); dark red to dark chocolate brown. And, you know what? People who don’t know me have consistently thought that my hair colour was completely NATURAL (except the Madonna one, of course!!). Weird, I know. But, what the hell, it seems mousey/dark blondes can wear anything!

May 8, 2016 6:30 am

sorry i am not addressing the actual post topic.
maybe, if your hair is brassy, maybe just dye right over it with pink.
in my experience, a good cut – that flatters your everything – trumps any hair colour.

May 8, 2016 6:21 am

^^ this is my language capacity at the moment. BAD TIMING is it mercury retro? i need to be v coherent etc for at least the next 48 hours ugh :}

May 8, 2016 6:19 am

saw some faabulon photos BTS of the met gala ball, ladies loos… not as trashy as it sounds, everyone was aware and looked hot obvs models, it gals and assorted stars… anyway there was a coterie of lassies with pewter, metallic-y, black, silver dresses, white /platinum hair (taytay included, does that mean it’s done already) and dark-red-almost-oxbloodblack lipstick… is daphne guinness theme on the up? spacealien romance on planet Ur. etc.

May 8, 2016 6:25 am
Reply to  Sam

nothing against TS, it’s just a pinnacle thing i think

MutableMabel
MutableMabel
May 8, 2016 4:30 pm
Reply to  Sam

I think the Met Ball had some sort of goofy theme involving the future and sustainability or something, hence all the outer space punk looks.

Unicorn Sparkles
Unicorn Sparkles
May 8, 2016 6:13 am

I need a hairstyling your ascendant post series.

Been wanting a hidden my little pony rainbow in the centre layer of my hair since Xmas… Hidden but there. Like wearing racy lingerie under a track suit.

Ok that didn’t sound all that good

May 8, 2016 6:16 am

OMFG please do this. I will if you don’t

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
May 8, 2016 3:58 pm

Hairstyling your ascendant series – yes! Brilliant idea.

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
May 9, 2016 3:39 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

yes PLEASE mystic!

dainec
dainec
May 13, 2016 8:44 am

Please please please do this. I am Taurus rising and have had purple/orchid/blue hair (mixed in with my natural salt & pepper) for the past 3-4 years. I have an asymmetrical pixie. I feel like it’s a little out there for a Cancer sun/moon, but it feels right to me? (P.S. I’m in my 50s.)

May 8, 2016 4:42 am

On thursday I went back to platinum ! After two/three years of trying to be more natural pah! Now I wake up and it’s instant glam. Love it. Maybe we should Feng shui hair? That whole thing about Feng shui for your astro re the elements. I am supposed to wear a lot more metal and have a white car and plenty of white around me. Errrrr Hence the Hair. Some how it just feel better, right, me…

sphinx
sphinx
May 8, 2016 5:31 am
Reply to  emg

Oh. No. I love being blonder (am working the browner tones) but with Gemini Rising and watery colours being favourable to me, am I dying my hair green or blue? Na-ah!
But I do love the idea of waking up platinum glam! Enjoy, xx.

May 9, 2016 1:51 am
Reply to  sphinx

A few years back when uranus was on my asc I died my platinum blonde a deep red! It was very striking and I did enjoy the experience of very unnatural hair colour. Trouble was though that it made a lot of my wardrobe simply not work and I had to buy dark towels to shower with. I was thinking pink next time??