Sweat Your Prayers

Gabrielle-RothE

“Put your body in motion and your psyche will heal itself.”

Somehow, i got this far without having heard of Gabrielle Roth.

An Aquarius, born right at the start of Pluto in Leo (thus a proto boomer and expressing the best of that generation’s ideals) she was a dancer, musician, shaman, activist, healer.

Sweat your prayers, she said.

“Our soul, our true self, is the most mysterious, essential, and magical dimension of our being. In fact, it is not a separate reality, as traditional Western thought views it, but the cohesive force that unites our body, heart, and mind. It is not a ghost trapped somehow in the physical machinery of our body but the very essence of our being.”

Shaman

Other than being super Aquarius – electric, kinetic, inventive, original – she was grounded by a multiple Taurus stellium: Ms Roth had the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus all in Taurus, sign of the bod, the authentic hippie demi deity and earth diva. Her Venus was in Capricorn, trined by Neptune in Virgo, giving her the true astrological signature of a higher Neptunian.

Gabrielle Roth

Her Mercury was in Pisces and god-damn she was quotable. Lilith in Aries squared Chiron in Kataka. Anarchic & healing.  “Your body is the ground metaphor of your life,” she said.  “It is the expression of your existence. It is your Bible, your encyclopaedia, your life story.”
She passed in 2012 but her 5Rhythms Dance School continues – the rhythms? Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical & Stillness.  Her band – Gabrielle Roth and the Mirrors produced 25 albums – with names such as Stillpoint, Luna, Trance, Totem, Jhoom.

refugecd-500x500

R(aqua/Taurus)
R(aqua/Taurus)
July 28, 2019 6:36 pm

I’ve recently started going…whenever I read a quote from her I resonate with it so strongly. I saw she is born a day before me (though different year, I’m millennial) and ran her chart. We’re like Astro twins! Aqua sun, Taurus moon, cap Venus, Pisces Mercury

I’ve known one other aqua/Taurus moon and he was super into ecstatic dance

Ariel
Ariel
April 17, 2016 4:00 pm

5 Rhythms was life-changing for me. I love it. I had noted Gabrielle’s Aquarian-ness, & am unsurprised by her earthy grounding & that fabulous venus-neptune trine. Thanks for digging into her chart!

Lionfish
Lionfish
April 17, 2016 6:02 am

I love her. So fortunate to be in NYC and able to dip into the vibrant, revelatory, celebratory, cheerful 5 RHYTHMS flow whenever i want. It’s healing and cathartic.

Seabird
Seabird
April 15, 2016 10:00 pm

Oh she’s responsible for Five Rhythms! That thing is dope! I go as often as I can and always come out feeling much much better, looser, freer, and full of potential.

fishgirl
fishgirl
April 15, 2016 9:19 pm

That’s so wonderful, I love the title of this blog post. Synchro as i was riding to the gym I was thinking about how sweat brings us closer to the soul, not the other way around…

And i never knew venus trine neptune was the signature of a higher neptunian…

Thx MM

em price
em price
April 15, 2016 8:59 pm

I love that you wrote about Gabrielle Roth! This is inspires me to compare the charts of some of my favorite movement magicians…

April 15, 2016 7:19 pm

Ooh, she sounds good . Maybe a mars retro role model for me. This : “Attachment guarantees that you will wake up every morning with a mission: to prove you are who you think you are—today. But it’s a total energy drain. you’re so busy performing a role that you miss out on the freedom to improvise, to be real rather than rehearsed.” Yes!!!!!! YES!!! I’m so tired of people’s insecurity about their identity and role and asserting some kind of bla , making them impossible to vibe with. I’m also going to consider what I wrote just then in… Read more »

magnolia
magnolia
April 23, 2019 11:57 am
Reply to  Sam

The challenges of a human life !!
aagh
.oh well what else would be doing, Haha

Era
Era
April 15, 2016 5:13 pm

I love when you feature interesting people Mystic. Thank you!

I’m definitely checking her out. We have so many astrological similarities so I think she “understands” me (Aqua sun, Taurus Moon, Mercury in Pisces, Venus conjunct Neptune in Cap)

April 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Kataka is a devotee of her philosophy and drags anyone she can to 5 rhythms nights around town. I’ve been to a couple of them and had a great time. A bit reminiscent of the dance scene in The Matrix with an eclectic group of friendly sexy people. Actually any singles out there wondering where to dance and meet people in a very relaxed and open environment should go along to one.
Personally I’m more into krsna style kirtan nights than 5 rhythms because there is a common thread of philosophy and less sweaty grinding. 😉

April 15, 2016 5:18 pm
sphinx
sphinx
April 16, 2016 1:11 am

Lol, my Gem was in one of these movies, not this scene sadly. But he is quite friendly. They got extras from BJJ gyms and he said they all ate five steak lunches from the buffet.

Methinky
Methinky
April 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Where are these 5 rhythms nights? Sounds aces!

Corrina
Corrina
April 15, 2016 10:11 pm

hehe that’s funny that the Aries prefers the philosophy and the Cancer likes the sweaty grinding 😉

April 15, 2016 11:51 pm
Reply to  Corrina

Ha x it’s interesting though. The kirtan has many of the same elements but totally different directions. Kirtan is basically devotional and can lead to ecstatic mind states, 5 rhythms is like shaking your mind lose, getting down into the body to experience the primal.

Meow
Meow
June 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Honestly? I am super cool w Krishna, have wondered though exactly how much of the, as you say ecstatic mindstates relate to philosophy, and how much is from the marginal oxygen deprivation–which, cool if that is your jam–and once again, I am super cool with Krishna–I just happened to live with a toxic group of them…

Meow
Meow
June 27, 2018 7:16 pm
Reply to  Meow

*Them, meaning the devotees

flowerchild
flowerchild
April 15, 2016 3:33 pm

I used to listen to Luna constantly… Gabrielle’s work was a big deal in Santa Cruz back in the day, lots of 5 Rhythms classes..

A bit surprised you hadn’t heard of her before, MM, ’cause you and she are on that wavelength, for sure! But I’m so glad you’ve found her now! Never too late for anything!

Alouetta
Alouetta
April 15, 2016 2:05 pm

That quote regarding attachment and performing a role really speaks to me. And dancing is my religion. I must read her. Thanks Mystic! You dig up gems.

Jokerman
Jokerman
April 15, 2016 2:14 pm
Reply to  Alouetta

And Gabrielle jigs up dems

Methinky
Methinky
April 15, 2016 7:38 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

Ha! Smooth, PF 🙂 GR is a genius. I used to join a bunch of people once a week and the most awesome drummer would drum an interpretation of the rhythms and we would all dance around and it felt AMAZING. It was totally liberating. Those rhythms shake out all kinds of stuff, no substances involved or required. Just a warm bunch of souls shaking it up like maniacs in the old oil store building on a Wednesday night. It brought out this great basic love and acceptance in people. I found the stillness part really hard to express. Now… Read more »

Jokerman
Jokerman
April 15, 2016 8:54 pm
Reply to  Methinky

If dancing was bat guano mad like this at school l may have been interested.

The only dancing l learnt was “down the pitch” to the spinners. So the bat could meet the ball at the point of nadiric perpendicularity thus negating the arc of deviation from the origin of trajectory reducing the likleyhood of the ball being advanced, in an upward flight manner, into the hands of a judisciiusly placed fielder. Ohhh, fugud about it….

SleepfulInBrisvegas
SleepfulInBrisvegas
April 15, 2016 10:51 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

Or bush dancing. Where lord forbid, you had to hold someone’s hand.

Jokerman
Jokerman
April 15, 2016 11:27 pm

I’m bushed ……..or at least l wished l was.

SleepfulInBrisvegas
SleepfulInBrisvegas
April 15, 2016 7:35 pm
Reply to  Alouetta

Dancing is my religion *sigh* How could I have forgotten this?

Yes. For me it was for some many years and then I got older and distracted and had a family. I sooooo miss dancing (dancing at home in the lounge room just doesn’t have the same vibe!)

I was lucky enough to do a dance workshop in 2007 or there abouts based on the 7 rhythms – moving meditation. It was perfect for me. I don’t think this was an accidental reminder of her and her work and how amazing it was for me when I found it.

Alouetta
Alouetta
April 15, 2016 11:23 pm

Try No Lights No Lycra! I go there to dance every couple of weeks and it is the best thing for my mental health. I think there are two in Brisbane – look for them on fb.

SleepfulInBrisvegas
SleepfulInBrisvegas
April 16, 2016 2:02 am
Reply to  Alouetta

Thank you so much for the recommend. You are awesome!! My Astro-almost twin!

Alouetta
Alouetta
April 16, 2016 7:55 am

You’re welcome and I hope you get to dance soon!

Golightly
Golightly
April 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Oh Yes! She was a saint to all Liberal Arts school dance majors here.
I remember what I was wearing the day a good friend gave me the book.
Love the beautiful expression of the Venus/Neptune aspect.
The philosophy that “the body is the ground metaphor of your life” made a huge impression that has stuck with me for years. So So wise. And 5 rhythm wave is the nicest stage to dance on at Burning Man. Sigh. wish I would have met her

Cris