Carb Loading Pre-Transformation

The Hungry Caterpillar

I blame The Very Hungry Caterpillar (a perennial children’s favorite for nearly 50 years now) for my assumption that big-time personal transformations somehow involve carb loading.  If you are not familiar with it, the caterpillar goes on an epic eating bender (including cake and things, it’s fiction) before going into its chrysalis and emerging as a stunning butterfly.

With Jupiter augmenting Change God Pluto all month meaning metamorphosis moves are busting out all over the place (see Horoscopes), it is a good moment to remind ourselves that important and amazing processes don’t always look or feel great as they are  in motion. I have shared this before but here it is again: it is the struggle to free itself from the chrysalis that forces blood into the butterfly wings so it can fly. Without the struggle, it’s just a land-bound caterpillar with funky threads to drag along the ground.

But i did not realize that caterpillars often resist the chrysalis in the first place – a subscriber shared this beautiful anecdote with me recently, which made me think of this book;

“P.S A cute story – a friend of mine was recently raising butterflies, and she said that the caterpillars are SO cute and totally have personalities and she said you can tell when they get this sudden URGE to crawl to the top of the cage to start their transformation, and they eat a whole plant to prep, but then she said it’s so heartbreaking as sometimes they crawl to the top and aren’t ready! and go back down… I always cry thinking of them, she says it’s because when they start the process they literally SPLIT open, like a crack down the centre – and she says you can tell they know something huge is happening, and are so scared but also so brave.”

So there you go, even if you have recently “eaten the whole plant” and crawled “to the top” to start a desirable transformation, but then backed down – that too is a natural part of the process.  Just remember that whatever situation or attitude you want to morph, the Jupiter-Saturn-Pluto pow-wow of March is pretty much your go-to astral vibe.

The Hungry Caterpillar

Z
Z
March 2, 2016 6:36 pm

With Jupiter on my Ascendant I sure do get hungry, intensely hungry and often. There are a lot of caterpillars in the surrounding areas of the house I live in right now. My late mother loved butterflies and this was one of the movies she would play for me as a little girl. I just watched this clip and wept a little. The little caterpillar in it is also hopeful and scared.

fomalhaut_mc
fomalhaut_mc
March 2, 2016 3:54 pm

lol…as I read this I’m eating a cookie in the shape of a butterfly. This is a fantastic unpacking of the caterpillar – butterfly metaphor.

It also makes me think about how artistic projects are created. First the artist absorbs books, films, material, etc, and appears to be doing a lot of nothing…the “eating”. And then much later, after a great deal of effort and struggle, the transformation occurs and something new is born. As far as my artistic life is concerned, I feel like I am in that chrysalis on the verge of bursting forth. March!

Gallica
Gallica
March 2, 2016 6:50 am

This is so me right now. And YES sometimes the transformation doesn’t feel good, I wan’t prepared for that. Instead of being elated and joyful and just ass kicky all over the place instead I’m having panic attacks and self doubting all over the place.

YES and as always thank you Mystic! xo

crisannm
crisannm
March 2, 2016 4:51 am

YES to this. So much yes – with a smile on my lips, tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat! I’m living this! Brilliant.

sphinx
sphinx
March 1, 2016 8:31 pm

After my fermented food/yeast intolerance realisation the other day I ate alkaline only for a whole day! Then I ate everything carbalicious to make up for it.
By Sunday I am expecting pop!
A beautiful butterfly to appear.

Certainly the drivers on the road seem to be in a carbacoma, eg. who needs indicators? I think I’ll just turn HERE. Oh is that an actual lane? Whups!
Mars in the 3rd House of Road Rage.

March 1, 2016 10:25 pm
Reply to  sphinx

My favorite driving fool is the one that swings out to the right to take a left turn. Imbiciles. My son asked me the other day was there anything I wished I had. And immediately I answered a license to pull people over, cut up their drivers license and impound their car. I have fantasized about that for years.

sphinx
sphinx
March 1, 2016 11:30 pm

I really believe you wish for that.
Lol! Where is your Mars?

March 1, 2016 11:47 pm

My fav is the car, in front of you at tge roundabout, who gives way to a car that, in turn, is giving way to their right. The idiot in front doesn’t realise they can go! (Mars Pluto conjunct trined by Sat in Cap)

sphinx
sphinx
March 1, 2016 11:54 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

I had everyone of these people in front of me today on the road.

March 2, 2016 2:40 am
Reply to  sphinx

Or the driver creeping along the road blocking traffic while they look for an address !
Pull over fwit and let the traffic pass, look around you self absorbed loser, there are other people on the road !!!
I think I’ve told this story before but it’s a goody. I drove daughter to kindy since she was 3 through shocking traffic every morning. One day her nana asks her to describe different things they see as they drive along. She says, look nana there’s a fuqing bus. Wonder where she got that from ? ??? :/

sphinx
sphinx
March 2, 2016 4:14 am

Haha! My little boy in an aba speech therapy session, in front of a bunch of people hurt his finger and said quietly and clearly his one spontaneous word for the day: “fuck”. All the therapists (4 + me) looked at me stifling smiles and one said, “well it was in context”.

March 2, 2016 4:06 am

Picturing you with Robocop-style wraparound shield sunglasses … CITIZEN. DESIST. STEP OUT OF THE VEHICLE.

sphinx
sphinx
March 2, 2016 4:15 am
Reply to  Sam

I see it.

supakali
supakali
March 1, 2016 8:00 pm

🙂

Saggi Crab
Saggi Crab
March 1, 2016 7:19 pm

This is so beautiful and poignant. The last few weeks have been draining and emotionally unsettling: working through old, residual crap I’ve only recently started to identify, beginning a new course to change careers into a healing profession (daunting), and lots of murky work stuff. It’s been comforting reading about the Chiron/Jupiter aspect. Helps put a lot into perspective.

electro
electro
March 1, 2016 7:05 pm

Even though it is winter here, I found a new to me word to describe my condition. Aestivation. (I don’t live near the desert and never been to one so no eye rolling, k? Thx.) The pounding heat, the dry air… I’ve just needed to go away and keep myself from drying out like a toast.

Niki
Niki
March 1, 2016 7:00 pm

Thank you so much for this! I needed that story of the caterpillar. Awww. Anyway, guess this explains why I ate so much carbs yesterday. Ha!

Catcatcat
Catcatcat
March 1, 2016 6:41 pm

Some weird caterpillary-transforming thing I’ve felt drawn to for years now: playing the violin. Low and behold: i asked for one at Christmas, and (wasn’t expecting it) actually GOT one. Lessons start tomorrow. I’ve thought about signing up. … I’m ‘ascared. Crawling back down…? Hmm.

March 2, 2016 4:02 am
Reply to  Catcatcat

Don’t stop now. Sign up! You’ve come this far. The only other fate is for it to gather dust. A played violin gathers no dust. SIGN UP. NO DUST. *stares at violin. Stares at catcatcat. Stares back at violin.* No. Dust.

Jessica Mars
Jessica Mars
March 1, 2016 6:29 pm

You can’t eat like a rabbit and perform like a wolf.

SleepfulInBrisvegas
SleepfulInBrisvegas
March 1, 2016 7:36 pm
Reply to  Jessica Mars

Oh yes!! All the love for this.

March 1, 2016 7:48 pm
Reply to  Jessica Mars

Truth.

March 1, 2016 7:51 pm
Reply to  Jessica Mars

But would the wolf perform like the rabbit after eating it?

Taubaby
Taubaby
March 1, 2016 5:37 pm

So very beautiful, thank you for this.

March 1, 2016 5:28 pm

Today I caved & ate trail mix spiked with chocolate chips. I thought it was just Super Tuesday jitters. Tomorrow I repent via spinach smoothies & ordering some Bernie swag.

Jessica Mars
Jessica Mars
March 1, 2016 6:30 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

I’ve tried to order Bernie Swag but they don’t post to Australia. Really want the rainbow shirt. I need a US mailbox …

March 1, 2016 7:46 pm
Reply to  Jessica Mars

Snap. Yeah the rainbow one is catchy as! I’m loving the Shepard Fairey black tee, too. And I need a yard sign, & stickers…

supakali
supakali
March 1, 2016 4:53 pm

I keep seeing butterflies, so….taking this as a good sign 🙂

March 1, 2016 5:20 pm
Reply to  supakali

Definitely 🙂

SleepfulInBrisvegas
SleepfulInBrisvegas
March 1, 2016 1:38 pm

Oh gosh! I realised that the last month or so I’ve gone back to comfort eating to cope with all the anxiety around my son returning to mainstream school. And my stomach is in rage over all the crap I’ve been shoving in it. I’ve been wondering when the cocoon will split. My friend mentioned a cocoon about this time last year, in terms of what I was going through, and I understood the struggle was needed to emerge, but oh, the struggles. I’ve become happy – well safe – in the cocoon. It’s what I needed. Perhaps this eclipse… Read more »

Alouetta
Alouetta
March 1, 2016 12:55 pm

I wish I could say I’ve been carb loading but I’m more likely to be skipping meals. Busy! But am trying to put some structures in place that will put better food on the table and soon. Those brave little caterpillars! I love that everywhere around us these heroic stories are being played out. And so few species have bonding characteristics where another of their kind will share the load. I think that’s why I love interspecies love stories the best- like where a bear will save a drowning crow or a cat befriends a crow or humans work to… Read more »

Catfish moon
Catfish moon
March 2, 2016 12:09 am
Reply to  Alouetta

Yes, no cab loading here.

March 1, 2016 12:48 pm

Hmm, my son asked me to buy him a doughnut for after school. I went to the doughnut shop and they wanted $3 for a really measly one. So I meander over to Coles where I found they sell a pack of 6 fresh double choc doughnuts for $3.50.
Got them and put them away, forgot to tell son and then ate all 6 in some kind of weird carb fetish binge. God they were good. 🙂

baristagem
baristagem
March 1, 2016 2:36 pm

Oh David…

lol

Nina
Nina
March 1, 2016 12:38 pm

I literally can’t stop eating all my favorite junk food vices. Nice to know this is all just me needing energy for a radical transformation. Happy transforming everyone 😉

gogengo
gogengo
March 1, 2016 12:05 pm

THIS.

Just returned from a two week training in which I did yoga four hours a day, walked three miles to and from said training and was basically ON it.

Now that I’m home I cannot stop eating and/or watching Netflix :/

Veronica
Veronica
March 1, 2016 11:52 am

This brings to mind a vivid dream from many years ago, where i was in my childhood home and in it, a very large (about a foot long) chrysalis broke open and the moth or butterfly fluttered up slowly through the rooms. it was white and softly luminous.
A very simple dream, but incredibly healing.
I watched this emergence with awe and a palpable sense of the miraculous, knowing i was shedding some very painful beliefs about myself and my past.

sooshy
sooshy
March 1, 2016 8:31 am

I want to run back to Australia, literally jump on an airplane and escape this schitz of a time… not good now to give in to heart felt emotions even though my pragmatic head is not screwed on too well. I need a BREAK!! anything, any good news that does not involve me eating mouthfuls of pasta, bread, and chocolate cookies to make up for an unsettled heart and head connection. Au Secours!

Unicorn Sparkles
Unicorn Sparkles
March 1, 2016 7:26 am

Today I shed a quarter of my life, or at least said goodbye to it. Sadness and freedom all at once.

Catfish moon
Catfish moon
March 1, 2016 7:14 am

I feel split down the middle now..

Salvatore8
Salvatore8
March 1, 2016 6:24 am

I LOVE this. Happy morphing, everyone!

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
March 1, 2016 6:19 am

“..it’s so heartbreaking as sometimes they crawl to the top and aren’t ready and go back down… I always cry thinking of them, she says it’s because when they start the process they literally SPLIT open, like a crack down the centre – and she says you can tell they know something huge is happening, and are so scared but also so brave.” OMG, that’s more or less the metaphor for my entire life story right there in one sentence…! Being able to tell that something huge is happening and being so scared but also so brave…moreso when I was… Read more »

Veronica
Veronica
March 1, 2016 11:36 am

“Being able to tell that something huge is happening and being so scared but also so brave…moreso when I was younger. ”

Now I know why i found that last sentence so poignant…thinking of my young self, (and also my sister)

mars /pluto/uranus conjunct in virgo `

Darkktur
Darkktur
March 1, 2016 5:04 am

Wow, so true. After attending an all day self love deficit disorder by the guy who wrote the book on it on Friday, then having a meltdown on Sunday and having it dawn on me that it was the aniversary of a very painful day in a very painful episode of my life, I made an apointment with a new counselor who specializes in unresolved grief. Monday at work, my girl scout cookie order, and a cake for a colleague’s retirement ( lucky beyotch) were breakfast and lunch. Can’t wait to crack myself open and fly off ! PS. I… Read more »

March 1, 2016 6:17 am
Reply to  Darkktur

Oh gosh i remember doing that for a while. I was so embarrassed. But one day on a bus i had to sit facing most people and something got tears leaking, and a burly bogan type looked at me kind of funny so i found myself defiantly giving the Four Mars Square stare back with these stupid tears slow dripping, like yeah? Salt Water Time is far more important than any judgy emo fearer. Your heart is cracking open and that’s an incredible time, so rare in life. We can really vibrate in tune with usually unseen things. Like light… Read more »

Darkktur
Darkktur
March 1, 2016 9:53 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

Thanks m, glad you can relate. That’s why God made sunglasses! I’m at a point in my life where it’s just, ok deal with it….plus I got a bad concussion last year, and it’s my handy go to excuse for all kinds of cray cray!

saturnplutoflux
saturnplutoflux
March 1, 2016 7:43 am

yep!

baristagem
baristagem
March 1, 2016 2:34 pm

Yes! Haven’t participated but reading everything! It’s unreal

fomalhaut_mc
fomalhaut_mc
March 2, 2016 3:17 pm

March 1, 2016 6:07 am

Trying so hard not to die inside. Must…sharpen … swords…ughhhh.

March 1, 2016 4:16 am

I really like this theory BUT i also had this jupiter chiron opp realisation, you know how some people were in the mill again with pain and struggle, i realised that was the tail end of Jan things for me and in feb I had completely lost my appetite. it was a heartache-kind of appetite disappearance. So maybe that was chiron opposing my virgo things. Plus, I am walking about 30km a week. so hey, all my pencil skirts fit me again, hooray! and then these past 3-4 days the appetite has come ROARING back, wtf. Deploying my recently-mastered emotional-eating-pattern-recognition,… Read more »

Starlush
Starlush
March 1, 2016 4:11 am

Damn thanks for the sharing of this!

March 1, 2016 3:59 am

What carbs? I been eating clay, pond scum, Himalayan salt, sushi/fish, salad n fruit = lost 6 kgs. 81kg.

March 1, 2016 2:13 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

Yeah some hipster / hippie guy in an organic co op I popped into was raving about clay. To the point I felt I should slowly back out of the store, while averting his attention by pointing at the large kombucha fungus that seems to have taken over his point of sale system.
So tell me is it organic clay ? 😉

March 1, 2016 6:29 pm

Bentonite clay. Seems to be doin a gd job; no pun intended. To get rid of heavy metals or some such.

vikingwoman
vikingwoman
March 1, 2016 7:33 pm
Reply to  Jokerman

Are you taking it loose in water or pill form? Also, algae?

March 1, 2016 7:45 pm
Reply to  vikingwoman

Water mixed with clay. Pool scum is various grasses and Hello Vera. Tastes disgusting. Strawberry and pineapples it does not taste like. But tummy feels like new.

March 2, 2016 2:32 am
Reply to  Jokerman

Must be very grounding..

Invicta
Invicta
March 1, 2016 2:51 am

Holy shit
Do have a camera installed in my flat somewhere?
Crazy spot on MM.
Genius

Kittybat
Kittybat
March 1, 2016 2:01 am

Nice reminder of a cute story and omg Mystic, inspiring as usual! I’ve been blaming Jupiter for my weight gain and apparent excess food eating ‘disorder’ …

NinthHouse
NinthHouse
March 1, 2016 12:35 am

Aw! Now I want some little caterpillar friends to cheer on

scorpiodawn
scorpiodawn
March 1, 2016 12:20 am

love that bk sooo much…the illustrations…beautiful…and yes I ate loads yesterday…think today’s gonna b the same…

Keelkeel
Keelkeel
March 1, 2016 12:18 am

Eating iced cinnamon apple and walnut bun and wondering what the fuss is about nom nom nom

baristagem
baristagem
February 29, 2016 11:30 pm

That’s so fascinating! I integrate carbs into every meal but lately a little more has found its way into my meals. Oh & by carbs, sometimes I mean wine… 😀

Kittybat
Kittybat
March 1, 2016 1:50 am
Reply to  baristagem

Hahaha, me too, lol

March 1, 2016 2:06 pm
Reply to  baristagem

You integrate them ? Sounds very modern. Does one require a calculator and geometry set to perform this integration ? How does one integrate say, mashed potatoes other than slappIng a blob on the plate. 😉

baristagem
baristagem
March 1, 2016 2:38 pm

lol

Star
Star
February 29, 2016 11:01 pm

My boyfriend thinks all my underwear are thongs…they’re not.

Universali
Universali
March 1, 2016 12:38 am
Reply to  Star

Haha!

March 1, 2016 3:27 am
Reply to  Star

Lol!

March 1, 2016 4:01 am
Reply to  Star

He thinks you wear em onya feet? Sheesh

Star
Star
February 29, 2016 10:58 pm

This shizz is no joke. Here’s an actual text I sent to a friend the other day: “I’m getting fat as sh*t. The night before last I started eating a goddamn chocolate bar IN my sleep. Passed out and woke up when I touched my face and smeared melted chocolate all over myself and looked down and got melted chocolate all over my brand new white sheets. I’m turning into a pig. An actual pig woman.”

Skarab
Skarab
March 1, 2016 3:17 am
Reply to  Star

Sounds like you may need magnesium – ASAP!

March 1, 2016 6:03 am
Reply to  Star

Ah i hate eating in bed but this happened to me when i was unwell once. Woke up and thought i must have shit myself. Then recalled the dark chocolate 🙁 Fright of my life. You’re not alone, Star, there’s a dark secret corner of the club here where we can just sit next to each other, crying.

And hey, you make sure you have the BEST chocolate around, ok? Elevate piggery to a fine art form 🙂

Skarab
Skarab
March 1, 2016 8:14 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

LOL! Dear god, yes – I was once tapped on the shoulder by an old guy on the street, who told me that i “should be made aware that it was *that time of the month*, dear”. Horrified, i dived into a public loo – turned out that my white shorts were stained with chocolate on the derriere from having sat on chocolate fall-out on my car seat… Was mortified and walked briskly backwards back to the car. I know it doesn’t make any sense walking backwards – but somehow it did then.

March 1, 2016 5:16 pm
Reply to  Star

Lol!

Kay
Kay
March 2, 2016 9:28 am
Reply to  Star

Hilarious! Thanks for the share.

jjt4732
jjt4732
February 29, 2016 10:10 pm

Love this.

hdq
hdq
February 29, 2016 9:51 pm

oh hey good, so the binge eating that i’ve been doing since last fall has a purpose! this actually makes so much sense. i’ve been eating to ground myself, frantically. the transformation that i feel happening feels ungraspably big, so big that i can neither see the scope of it nor understand how to direct it. it’s all going on instinct and jupiterian trust, trust in the process, trust that the final me product will have wings and color and form and purpose. i imagine that the butterfly’s process is similar, except i doubt that she feels guilty for eating.… Read more »

March 2, 2016 2:43 am
Reply to  hdq

You, what you said. X

Catherine
Catherine
February 29, 2016 9:34 pm

I had a great homeopathic remedy a few months ago , Limenitis Bredowii ,a butterfly…the essence of it was to bring more balance between ideas and spirit in the ether and manifesting that in the physical, so bringing the two together the butterfly can manifest. Well I went into a soggy mess to start with, like I was dissolving..physically as well as psychically, rivers of snot had to take to my bed, crying , etc then suddenly I had this mega eat and then mega sleep- and woke feeling very different…started wearing bright colours, felt lighter and started writing and… Read more »

Piscaries
Piscaries
February 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Wow, thank you for this beautiful post, Mystic. I am going through a transformation like none other in my life, and it’s been very physical too (recovering from chronic disease). It does NOT *look* good right now, and it’s really scary. I can’t and won’t turn back from it, not now–but this post was so touching and really comforted and inspired my heart. Thank you!

Methinky
Methinky
February 29, 2016 8:33 pm

I’ve gone the other way – I’m off food and I even have a little sore on my tongue….the last time I went off food like this was 2008 and EVERYTHiNG changed. I have Jupiter trine Pluto natally. Pluto is transiting natal Juno just gone exact. I am hoping for good things post-catharsis!

annica
annica
February 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Carb-loading is my super power. Dis butterfly got this.

March 2, 2016 2:42 am
Reply to  annica

Your time to shine, butterbling. 😉 x

Janey
Janey
February 29, 2016 7:58 pm

I love this, mystic! X

The Venus Fly
The Venus Fly
February 29, 2016 7:53 pm

I came home and ate tinned spaghetti on toast. For lunch. Which I never do.

So, yes, resonance. I am cool with transformation, just WTF is it taking so damn long and slow, lol ;P

Universali
Universali
February 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Ha! Yes.
I took the day off work slept another 3 hours & have literally just finished eating delicious cheese & tomato on toast whilst watching Orange is the new black.
I feel totally burnt out and just need a day to hide away… Hopefully I’m going to make it out of the chrysalis!

vikingwoman
vikingwoman
February 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Oh my gosh this. And I am in the middle of eating something every two hours and am very sedentary right now (as is the rest of the family). Chilling with some Haydn symphonies, lots of books, and distractions aplenty.

Love the caterpillar story about not being quite ready for the inevitable. This I must remember…it’s scary the unknown. Those little guys…makes you wonder if they have a prescient idea of who they will become. The ability to fly but first the isolation. Reminds me of 8 of swords for some reason…

March 1, 2016 4:00 am
Reply to  vikingwoman

I don’t think it’s a conscious awareness (i mean, from a caterpillar perspective). Like pluto transformations, just the Thing is a compulsion, you have no idea what you’re doing, but for some reason you’re doing it (leaving town, drawn to a person, commit infidelity in a monogamous thing, try the peyote, whatever etc… well that’s what I reckon..)

Catcatcat
Catcatcat
March 1, 2016 6:27 pm
Reply to  Sam

I’d say being drawn to someone can definitely be a wordless unconscious pull – something you don’t know, but must ‘do’ because of the feels. But the second step of infidelity? Conscious douchery. Peyote? A choice – an experiment. A quest. (Well, unless you’re already on peyote. Then maybe you’re kinda out of it.)
Just a quibble. I like talkin’ caterpillar.

March 2, 2016 2:36 am
Reply to  Catcatcat

Yes between the sensation and the action is a definite bridge of personal responsibility, as far as monogamy goes.

March 2, 2016 2:37 am
Reply to  Sam

But even breaching that is a Pluto act, at times.

vikingwoman
vikingwoman
March 1, 2016 7:30 pm
Reply to  Sam

That was a helpful insight, Pi, thanks.

March 1, 2016 11:17 pm
Reply to  Sam

Maybe if you took the peyote first you could do all the other things you mentioned then just blame the peyote. No one could argue with that and you could use the jeez.. Normally one peyote punch and I’m fine, but this shit man was heavy. What did you say I did ?

March 2, 2016 2:40 am

Hahaha… Neptune abdication?

aquasunrise
aquasunrise
March 3, 2016 6:00 pm
Reply to  Sam

Wonderful – sometimes the love interest is the neptune abdication!