A long time ago, in 2009, there was a post called Self-Help Books That Don’t Suck. This is the 2016 version. The Mercury Retro in Capricorn (the bulk of it IS in Capricorn) is perfection for upping one’s intake of self-improvement lit.
Saturn in Sagittarius is also no slouch when it comes to holing up in one’s power lair to blast the neural synapses with some shit makes you go WOW every third paragraph.
Personally, i love Kindle as it speaks to my Mercury in Aries – being able to highlight bits you like and collect them in one mega-hits section of sagacity/wit. But also, being fully digital means no more having to fling your greasy-thumbed copy of The Psychos Who Love Me or whatever behind the sofa when someone comes around. Whatever you’re perusing is seriously private.
Scanning someone’s bookshelf to get an idea of who they are seems so analogue now it’s practically prehistoric. Not to mention the potential for dust, papyrus bugs and the sharp corners of a bookshelf emanating awkward Feng Shui.
So anyway, these are the current self-help tomes that i think are awesome. ALSO, seriously i just got this. It’s not just Retro Mercury in Capricorn (the sign of continual striving for greatness) and Saturn (ruler of Capricorn) in knowledge hungry Saggo.
It’s also Jupiter (ruler of Saggo) in data-loving Virgo…ruled by Mercury. Can you grok this? Until the 26th is radically amazing for infusing your mind with fresh info & inspiration.
Here are my contenders:
- Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth – James Altrucher – For when you’re wanting to kick it up several dimensions at work or in biz, bust a rut and feel empowered in the new economy.
- The 22 Day Revolution – Marco Borges – For when you’re wanting to try a plant based diet but want it with a defined time frame, with loads of info & rah-rah motivation from (yes) Beyonce’s personal chef.
- Essentialism – Greg McKeown – For when you feel stuck in permanent Overwhelm mode. Or a minimalist wanting some more philosophical oomph to fuel your attitude.
- The Naked Mind – Annie Grace – For when you’ve had it with alcohol and want to either give it up or cut way down but need some solid, up-to-the-moment thinking & facts around it. See also Saturn square Neptune lol.
- The Big Leap – Gay Hendricks – For when you’re struggling with doubts, self-sabotaging emotions etc. More considered and therapeutic than Choose Yourself but also a rut-buster.
- The Dreamer & The Fantasy Relationship – Natalie Lue – For when you’re trying to eradicate a Love Zombie pattern once and for all. If i had known this book existed when i was writing Love Zombies, i would not have written it. She is super-pertinent on the causes (yes) and underlying psychology of falling for unavailables or putting up with super shonky fauxmances.
Enjoy your Mercury Retro re-funk/mojo re-claim and share your thoughts/recommendations in the comments!
Image: Paul Lavoie
Access Horoscopes, Insta-Tarot, Oracle and MoreAll Access Membership – This is not a recurring payment – you are not locked in.
Email Mystic if you would like to trial for a few weeks first.