How To Have A Non-Naff Halloween

Eiko Ishioka

A Non-Naff Halloween? Sorted. This is from my good friend, the genius Marcella Kroll:

Celebrating the Witch’s New Year

As we move into another season, and October gets closer to November, many begin to shift their attention to the festivities associated with this time of the year. Some may celebrate Halloween, Samhain, or Dia de los Muertos. For many Witches, myself included, it is also the beginning of the spiritual new year. A time of letting go of what no longer serves you, and starting with a fresh perspective for the New Year. Whether you are Wiccan, Christian, Jewish, Atheist, or Pagan, there is one thing most can agree upon, and that is, it’s the most wonderfully spooky time of the year.

Another common thread throughout all faiths is the practice of remembering our ancestors and those that have left their physical bodies. In a mystical sense, the veil between the living and the dead is said to be it’s thinnest during this window of time, October 31st – November 2nd. During this window, we can receive messages, guidance, support, and wisdom from those that have passed. It is also a perfect time for honoring our loved ones, as it is believed that they can hear our prayers, petitions, and dedications.

So here are a few suggestions, and ways that I like to celebrate. How do you like to honor this time of year?

Create an Ancestor Altar for those in your family, and/or for those that have passed on. Include pictures, cards, letters to them, candles, flowers, things that they may have loved while they were living.

Be with Community and celebrate the changing of the season together. You can organize a spirit circle, clothing swap, potluck, and/or sharing of stories to connect and show support for each other’s endeavors and intentions for the New Year.
Organize or Attend a Fire Ceremony. Through Fire Ceremony we can release any people, places, beliefs, or things that no longer serve our highest good. You can do this solo or with a group. Here is a simple, but effective way to create a ceremony.

In a fire place, fire pit, or fire safe cauldron/pot, you can create a small fire*. Write a list of whatever you would like to let go of. Call on the 4 directions, Your Guides, Ancestors, Angels, or any Protector Spirit Guides you work with. Ask them to be present and hold support for you, as you release that which no longer serves you. Recite what you are letting go of to them.

Then put your list in the flames. Watching and allowing it to burn away any connections or attachment. Once burned, thank all that you invited for being there, and holding space for you, and this releasing ceremony. (*When working with fire, please always make sure to use all safety precautions, and never leave burning items unattended).

Image: Eiko Ishioka

wonderbeam
wonderbeam
October 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Thank you SO much for this Mystic!

Pegasus
Pegasus
October 15, 2015 6:53 pm

As luck would have it, Nice Neighbour other side of me gave me a whole wood fence he replaced (looks like red gum?) AND cut it to size for the outdoor brazier just in time for a FIRE on Hallowed Eve. Two gorgeous Gen X acolytes to join me. It will also be the 14th anniversary of my moving into peppercorn for life 1914 era house. A barbed blessing that will be nonetheless celebrated. It is the time of year the Nice Neighbour’s hugest tree that shades my back garden, blooms and smells divine wafting thro’ house. Enough wood for… Read more »

Melody
Melody
October 15, 2015 4:42 am

For Samhain this year, I think I am going to host a tiny seance with a homemade spirit board. I also bought a five year journal I plan to begin on that day.

Although, I haven’t done a fire ceremony for a long time, and that may well be thrown into the mix so thanks for the inspiration:)

Electro
Electro
October 15, 2015 3:32 am

Perfect time for a fermented drink as one celebrates the process of death and regeneration.

From the book Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz:

The boundary is fluid, and fermented foods have a way of making boundaries in general somewhat fluid. Take the dualism of life and death. Fermentation is the action of life upon death. Living organisms consume dead food matter, transforming it and in the process freeing nutrients for the further sustenance of life.

Melodryad
Melodryad
October 15, 2015 4:29 am
Reply to  Electro

Love that quote (and that book!)

PlutonicUranian
PlutonicUranian
October 15, 2015 3:24 am

Fantastic tips … this is the time of year that you choose to either be blessed or haunted.

Crystallised future
Crystallised future
October 15, 2015 1:01 am

This has got me planning. I’ve written my releases and a couple of requests. Need to buy tools now for the ceremony, which will be on the beach with one or more girlfriends. Need to plan food too. It’s something to look forward to. A closure.

Catherine
Catherine
October 14, 2015 11:14 pm

lovely x yes I always have a feast and leave food for my ancestors, tell stories, and remember them on my altars in photographs or miniatures of their favourite drinks…have saved some apple wood for a fire this year, Love journeying too on Samhain- go to see my guides and grandmothers and takes ‘presents’ in the ether xx

Saoirse Kirke
Saoirse Kirke
October 14, 2015 9:44 pm

traveling under cover of darkness
throwing that list into rivers on pebbles unless I land at a fire

October 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Doing Beltne, cos Southern hemisphere. No fires tho’–bushfire season!

VenusRules
VenusRules
October 14, 2015 6:51 pm

This is good! This Scorpio has always considered Halloween to be Amateur Night. These are great ideas for rescuing it.

The Venus Fly