The Ancient And The Awesome

Selene

Reddish marble carved votive relief of the Moon Goddess Selene: a female bust to the front in an arched niche, draped in a sleeved chiton, and with her hair parted in the middle and brought down over her ears, nose now missing, surrounded by a crescent on her head, seven stars in the field around and the signs of the zodiac in low relief; inscribed beneath with an unintelligible Gnostic formula

Excavated/Findspot Argos? 2ndC-3rdC
British Museum

Obviously i want to know the “unintelligible Gnostic formula” a.s.a.p.

May 14, 2015 5:04 am

What a beautiful and tantalising image.

The Virgin Mary is often depicted with 12 stars around her head. I wonder if that is to do with the signs of the zodiac? Since she is also referred to as the Queen of Heaven by catholics – but in earlier times this title referred to Isis, and Astarte and others … it all gets so crazy mixed up when you start to delve into origins.

Circe Baby
Circe Baby
May 13, 2015 10:28 pm

Divine divine.

Reminds me of this gorgeous relief of Phanes, entwined with a serpent, inside the cosmic egg, inside the zodiac

May 14, 2015 5:05 am
Reply to  Circe Baby

That is such a powerful image!

sphinx
sphinx
May 14, 2015 8:53 pm
Reply to  Circe Baby

yes nice one!

sphinx
sphinx
May 13, 2015 8:44 pm

What an interesting piece. I read up on Selene recently too and was interested to note that she was daughter of the Titans and was taken over by Artemis. That trendy young upstart Artemis with her sexy brother Apollo nicking off with her id like that. Am a bit curious what Selene meant to the Gnostics. From all I could gather from wiki she is related to Sophia in some sense. It seems in some versions, like Inanna, Sophia suffers a descent down somehow, the Greeks had the Zeus rescue Artemis, or Herakles rescue Selene.. Also very tantalising what this… Read more »

May 14, 2015 3:54 am
Reply to  sphinx

indeed! very frustrating! … so much knowledge lost … forgotten …and deliberately fragmented, disguised … only tantalising snippets here and there … waiting.

May 14, 2015 10:21 am
Reply to  sphinx

I think that if this is to do with the Gnostics – then she probably IS Sophia. If you go to Sophia (Gnosticism) in Wiki, you’ll see a sub heading: Book Of Proverbs. **The Sophia is therefore the highest ruler over the visible universe, and at the same time the mediatrix between the upper and the lower realms. She shapes this mundane universe after the heavenly prototypes, and forms the seven star-circles with their Archons under whose dominion are placed, according to the astrological conceptions of antiquity, the fates of all earthly things, and more especially of man. She is… Read more »

May 14, 2015 10:47 am
Reply to  skarab

Also, the Gnostic’s belief that the Moon is the mother of Earth, then it’s likely that they would depict the moon above Sophia’s head.

sphinx
sphinx
May 14, 2015 8:31 pm
Reply to  skarab

This is great information! Well done skarab 🙂 Makes a lot of sense. And as Mary is the pure material person apparently capable of channelling Sophia (according to something I read) it makes sense her person is really also a vehicle for Sophia in art. Isis was also known as ‘Star of the Sea’ etc. so, the blending of all these icons really is endless. I did not know gnostics thought the moon gave birth to the earth. But in some ways that is interesting as the Earth wouldn’t be very habitable without the Moon’s stabilising quality. Lol, I have… Read more »

May 15, 2015 1:24 am
Reply to  sphinx

Lol, probably!
Anyone who was persecuted by the catholic church prob means they were more in tune or at least open to a more open debate re the cosmos.

Fire fish
Fire fish
May 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Feels like the time of the goddess, it’s bluebell time in the uk, and I went for a walk in the woods yesterday. A forest of wild garlic with beautiful white blooms madly sproinging, that song ‘queen of the May’ came to mind, and the energy was all faeries and magic, yay for sunshine and goddesses

pi
pi
May 14, 2015 3:46 am
Reply to  Fire fish

Sproing.

flowerchild
flowerchild
May 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Off-topic: Weird……Merc retro starting? So I just logged in and the site immediately took me to the tarot page and displayed a full reading. It’s a nice reading, too, I hope it is actually meant for me because I didn’t expect this… Serendipity?

On-topic: What a beautiful carving! Are the seven stars the Pleiaides? I’m fascinated with Pleiaidian lore. I do follow the moon, too, can feel it strongly, Kataka ascendant…

Fauness
Fauness
May 13, 2015 6:23 pm
Reply to  flowerchild

I love the random readings! That one seemed destined for you. The random ones I have gotten was only from doing a reading and then leaving my phone browser open. When I returned to the page, it automatically refesged and gave a new reading. It’s only happened twice and I guess not that random but I liked it anyway. I didn’t respond to your post the other day because sometimes when a thread gets long or I feel like I would just be repeating what others say I don’t post. But I’m rooting for you!! I know you’ve been through… Read more »

flowerchild
flowerchild
May 13, 2015 7:48 pm
Reply to  Fauness

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Fauness! I really appreciate it! 🙂

…and hooray for random tarot readings!

Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
May 13, 2015 4:08 pm

That is the coolest thing ever. The astrological signs all over it! When I tell people astro is my religion/lifestyle they don’t get it. Maybe one of these on my desk will help!

Year of the Phoenix
Year of the Phoenix
May 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Love her headwear! Crescent crowns all round!

Birdstar
Birdstar
May 13, 2015 11:41 am

If I could do the time travel thing…

May 14, 2015 3:44 am
Reply to  Birdstar

I know, right? ….. sigh ….

Pi
Pi
May 13, 2015 7:21 am

Hey the fish are swimming in the same direction.
maybe… once every 17 centuries… the Fish are Aligned

Pi
Pi
May 13, 2015 7:25 am
Reply to  Pi

maybe, maybe, the fish in opposite directions is really a representation of subatomic particles, quarks – currently paired under 6 names, up, down, strange, charm, bottom, and top… all very piscean if you ask me 🙂 Professor Einstein would approve

Pi
Pi
May 13, 2015 7:28 am
Reply to  Pi

And much like pisceans, everyone has a different opinion of what exactly the particles are doing at any given moment 😛

sphinx
sphinx
May 13, 2015 8:21 pm
Reply to  Pi

Maybe the fish are some kind of motor for an etheric vehicle, swimming in a 3d yin yang ball that we just have to meditate on to access the 5th dimension. Or sumfin’!

pi
pi
May 14, 2015 3:45 am
Reply to  sphinx

Oooh, yes.

AnkhRising8.0
AnkhRising8.0
May 13, 2015 6:32 am

We already know the formula 😉 #collectiveunconscious

Omg Mars into Gemini is like the biggest, fastest, steepest steel roller-coaster in the universe! (Steel, not wood: there’s a big difference.) Lightning iron rails in the sky, baby. Thrills & spills! Dark moon + Neptune have me sleeping extra deep, & I’ve been dreaming Mars in Gemini… what a ride!

LiberatingVenus
LiberatingVenus
May 13, 2015 5:39 am

You know how some homes (at least here in the US) have those little recessed half-dome prayer nooks built right into the walls? Yeah, I never really saw a need for those…. until RIGHT NOW! OMG, this would fit *perfectly* in a prayer nook – new life goal! #YouMightBePantheisticIf I would *totally* stash this awesomely ancient artifact in a prayer nook, and instead of hanging a picture of The Virgin Mary or Jesus at the back, I would substitute my framed Alphonse Mucha “Zodiac Le Plume” print..! LOL, people would probably flip the fuq out at the sight of it… Read more »

AnkhRising8.0
AnkhRising8.0
May 13, 2015 6:47 am

Ha I just saw your hashtag– we really should start these up, there’s been so many 🙂 And we could all hook up to Mystic’s feed like mushroom roots.

My house came with a 5-ft tall stone grotto/shrine with the Virgin Mary inside, in the front yard. I think it’s wonderful: She is an avatar of the Goddess (ty Birdstar 🙂 beautiful expression). She is my Venus, & I’m planting Morning Glories at her feet to rise up in huge blooms around her head. The neighborhood Catholics find me wonderfully devout. They’re right 😉

Make the shrine!

AnkhRising8.0
AnkhRising8.0
May 13, 2015 6:51 am
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

Oh– natal Venus conjunct Sun in Scorpio, 8th house. So my Mother grotto is just perfect for me! Synchronicity.

Veronica
Veronica
May 13, 2015 2:33 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

There was a beautiful 5 foot stone Quan Yin in my grandmas front garden, with a giant clam shell in front of it. (Even though grandma was hard core catholic 🙂 )
it was so beautiful. have been on the lookout for just the right stone goddess for a grotto in my own backyard

AnkhRising8.0
AnkhRising8.0
May 13, 2015 5:22 pm
Reply to  Veronica

Wow! What happened to her Quan Yin grotto? Funny you mentioned grandma’s: the house I live in now was my great aunt’s, my grandma’s sister 🙂 I also found a big concrete seahorse birdbath buried in some overgrowth here– so perfect for my Neptune-NN/Neptune chart ruler! Took me an hour to get it into the garage. Going to repaint it & put it out.

Fauness
Fauness
May 13, 2015 6:16 pm
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

That is so freaking cool! Do you usually find random stuff outside?

My best friend growing up had a chaotic childhood due to her mother dying of cancer. They would leave random stuff outside and it would eventually get covered by leaves and stuff. Not a dump though. I always pictured people in the future would be finding random crockery and turtles buried in band-aid boxes and being really confused. Seahorse bird bath sounds rad.

Birdstar
Birdstar
May 13, 2015 11:38 am
Reply to  AnkhRising8.0

If I published a string of hash tags everyday, my book would be done and every phrase would be set up for its own meme factory.

I saw a bit on how if someone posted each chapter of infinite jest as a buzz feed article it might be the way to finish it.

Goes back to sleep war, avatars of the goddess indeed

Fauness
Fauness
May 13, 2015 8:54 am

I have one of those, but it’s in the floor and I call it a bathtub. Every time I get in, I have crystals with me and u surround myself with candles.

Jupiter venus 8H

Fauness
Fauness
May 13, 2015 8:55 am
Reply to  Fauness

I do, not u.

Birdstar
Birdstar
May 13, 2015 11:39 am
Reply to  Fauness

That first line is priceless

tw:leo
tw:leo
May 13, 2015 11:50 am
Reply to  Fauness

love this! i have never thought of the bathtub that way. jupe-venus 8th house, too!

sphinx
sphinx
May 13, 2015 8:19 pm
Reply to  Fauness

Lol, yes!

May 14, 2015 3:37 am
Reply to  Fauness

hee-hee, <3.

anon
anon
May 14, 2015 6:53 pm

You’re not talking about a phone nook, are you?