Her life was a brazen blur of the craft, publicity stunts and enterprising vim beyond the then norm for women but a few things are clear about Marie Laveau, the reigning “Voodoo Queen” of New Orleans in the early 19th Century.
– She cast spells, staged public “miracles” and worked variously as a hairdresser (with magical skills), brothel madam and illegal (?) liquor importer. Very resourceful, very Virgo.
– She had a pet snake called “Zombi” – apparently this is the name of the Haitian Snake God, so called zombie trances are a form of astral travel AND zombies are able to be “cured” via salt, classically one of the most magical substances of all. Putting a line of it across your threshold is still a quick, guaranteed go-to if you are feeling threatened, over-whelmed or strung out.
– People still see “Queen Marie” in New Orleans to this day. You could obviously trust a Virgo Voodoo Priestess to keep up a vigorous and efficient haunting regime, right?
– She had heaps of kids – one of her descendents became the first African-American Social Secretary for the White House.
– Her legacy lives on in surreal fashion through culture and art: She has inspired Neil Gaiman, become a Marvel Comics protagonist, a character in American Horror Story and is the subject of this awesome poem.
Access Horoscopes, Insta-Tarot, Oracle and MoreAll Access Membership – This is not a recurring payment – you are not locked in.
Email Mystic if you would like to trial for a few weeks first.