Muscles Are The New Status Symbol

Fitspiration

Money expert Dave Ramsey has a catchphrase for his radio show. It goes something like this: “The paid-off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice.”

I like that. Some of the most successful, wealthiest people I know live modestly, drive paid-off cars over five years old, and prefer Timex to Rolex. Some of the most broke folks I know are just the opposite…

…You won’t have to tactlessly and tackily stick your pink, conflict-free diamond ring into people’s faces; you’ll just have to walk into the room. Stepping out of your used Honda looking healthy and strong will carry more status and elicit more respect than struggling to get your plus-sized ass out of a limited-edition Corvette you can’t quite afford.

The whole “status” thing is a bit stomach-turning to begin with, but sociologists tell us that we can’t escape it; it’s just built into our genes.

Okay, fine. But let’s choose to display our status not with baubles on loan but with a body that reflects hard work, wise decisions, and engaged living

This is an epic synched-with-the-Zap-Zone rant from Chris Shugart of Testosterone Nation.  Read the rest via this link.

Mars is going to be booting our bums for most of this year so we may as well get with it via some hardcore fitspiration, right?

And obviously, our idea of what constitutes ‘fit’ or ‘muscles’ will vary but the point of uber-health as fuq you to a system that wants to turn us into debt slaves and drug us with useless crap, junk food and pharmaceuticals to “fix” the problems from the latter is SO now. SO Zap Zone.

Share your 2014 Fitness, Nutrition & General Awesome goals here.  Mine is to do MORE of what i already know works brilliantly for me. Regular Yoga (just skipped two weeks and radically notice the difference), way better form with weights,  work on some more-important-than-you-might-think alignment issues via Pilates and completely UP the cardio so as to make a measurable improvement.

AND cut out crap carbs. Ie: when you THINK you want a bit of bread or potato, whatever, maybe what your body is really saying is GREENS.  Your body don’t lie. We just choose to misinterpret some signals.

And you?

bodybuilding & figure
bodybuilding & figure
April 1, 2014 9:45 am

You’re so cool! I don’t believe I have rea through something like that
before. So wonderful too find someone with ome genuine thoughtgs
on this topic. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up.
This website is something that’s needed on the internet,
someone with a little originality!

January 3, 2014 7:53 pm

I love the acknowledgement at the end, that this is nature, rather than something to be ashamed of and to deny.

Embracing my total reality is 2014 for me.

Serenity
Serenity
January 3, 2014 6:53 pm

Been on Atkins for 20 years. Modified now. Lean fish, chicken and not as much beef these days. I have my green shake at least four times a week in the morning. The shake can be a combination of kale, chard, watercress, celery, carrots, apples, blueberries, chunks of ginger, bitter melon, mint, parsley, chia seeds, coconut oil, coconut milk Mainly green, it can look like liquid sludge. I’ve been taking vitamins forever I have added DMAE in the last five years every morning. I have been working out pretty much all my life. I am at four times a week… Read more »

January 4, 2014 12:06 am
Reply to  Serenity

Happy new year Serenity! thank you for sharing more about yourself… I hope the personal changes you have described here work beautifully for you 🙂

January 4, 2014 1:40 pm

thanks Pi!! xoxo

January 4, 2014 3:07 pm
Reply to  Serenity

Serenity, that was a beautiful read 🙂 inspirational to me as well. More so, very motivational. The benefits of movement in form of an art. 10 years of classical ballet training from 5-15 years gave me a lifetime of body awareness that made it impossibility carrying any xtra weight, also no babies, and tho’ i’m way past post menopause, it didn’t happen except for not needing the Monthly Sea-Sponge Intimacy 🙂 YOur letter tells me i can a whole lot better with more discipline and scheduling (Chiron in PIsces is dreaming me out in a wafts way-waiting for all the… Read more »

January 3, 2014 6:06 pm

um, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of potato. probably more wrong with “a lot” of potato. humans do need carbohydrates for energy… then again i’m sure you’re not judging or whatever Mystic, just sharing your personal approach..
me, I utterly refuse to go food-fascist on my life. Have done it before, in my 20s, occupied my self-esteem to uncomfortable proportions. my brain has way better things to deal with. healthy balanced eating yes, irrational fear of carbs ..no?! swimming laps and walking everywhere can take care of the rest.

January 3, 2014 6:08 pm
Reply to  Pi

having said this i do feel the rocky montage thing still (posted before) quite strongly and a key motivator for full-time work is to pay for boxing training and pilates 2x weekly. I want my thighs back.

January 4, 2014 1:39 pm
Reply to  Pi

kickboxing will get your thighs back and will lift your butt nicely.

January 5, 2014 11:07 am
Reply to  serenity

score. the gym i am investigating has kickboxing trainers too. 🙂 thanks!

January 5, 2014 11:27 am
Reply to  serenity

Thanks for this info Serenity…there are a few boxing places in the suburb I’m now living and I’ve been thinking about giving it a try.

doublekataka
doublekataka
January 3, 2014 8:16 pm
Reply to  Pi

Yes Pi, I’m also saying no to food-fascism these days. I think I started in my 20s, what was that book where you didn’t mix fruit with veg… That’s where it started for me. I’m surprised to see all this go-for-the-burn muscle stuff is back, a la Jane Fonda… treadmill at the desk and whatnot.

If
If
January 3, 2014 10:59 pm
Reply to  doublekataka

Don’t knock Jane Fonda’s workout! It is basically pilates, and it worked a treat when I was in my 20s, and still does now I am in my 50s. The “burn” does not mean risking injury: In fact, in the past year it has helped me heal (a) upper and (b)lower leg injuries I got from (a) a fall, and (b) jogging. What’s not to love about the strong bones, long lean ballet dancer-type muscles all over and awesome metabolic rate it gives you in half the time most other forms of exercise require to get the same results? You… Read more »

GFTpisces
GFTpisces
January 4, 2014 6:01 am
Reply to  Pi

Yes! I have found SO much more happiness eating whatever the eff I feel like rather than worrying about it because, as it turns out, I *CAN* actually trust myself with food to know when I’m full and want healthy things! But my body — and more importantly, my SOUL — also wants pasta and cream and french fries, too. But I find I eat sensible amounts of those things when they’re not verboten. And I’d rather be a size 4/6 because I exercise and eat pasta and drink wine or whiskey then a size 0/2 who exercises and eats… Read more »

January 4, 2014 3:14 pm
Reply to  GFTpisces

The French way Darling, the French way…
Eat whatever turns you on but never more that what fits in your palm.
I believe good wine is very beneficial to the body
when enjoying an excellent meal.
ONe wouldn’t feel like wine in an Holistic Organic Wholefood rest, the body would would water from glaciers blessed by monks.
Yes, to Soul Food. SOme of the so called ‘peasant dishes’ are delicious traditions made from beans ‘n greens.
Thn there is creme caramel made by a Michelin Chef also soul food?

January 5, 2014 11:04 am
Reply to  GFTpisces

well said GFT. at least, I agree with your approach. I feel very uncomfortable around food puritanism. Don’t get me wrong. whole foods, fermented, whole-system thinking for food and nutrition i very much am interested in. But yes.
btw I don’t know what a size 0 even is. That’s a size 4 in australia, which doesn’t exist as far as i know.

January 5, 2014 11:33 am
Reply to  Pi

My food philosophy is now about eating clean and unprocessed. Never going to count a calorie again. All that “Improvement = diminishing” crap that women have been force-fed for decades and which ruled my life for most of my 20s/30s… fuq that.
Saturn is coming up to square my Venus in Aqua in 6th and I really am going all planet warrior or something about health. Had a bizarre epiphany in the supermarket the other day. I think supermarkets might be the root of all sickness, truly.

Charles
Charles
January 3, 2014 5:50 pm

I used to have muscles. Hiring an assistant with muscles is the new status symbol.

January 4, 2014 1:43 am
Reply to  Charles

pretty sure that’s actually a fairly well-established status symbol dude…

January 3, 2014 4:28 pm

Woah dude! Just seen this post. Must have missed it before! Epic…. I am so there. My goals are Health Write Financial Fitness (Work my North Node like a laboratory cuz it feels awesome) This whole, inner health and beauty over exterior is REALLY working for me. I just woke up literally giggling because I had a cool, funny and super awesome dream that was so my “natal Jupiterian ” that at some point I began to laugh at myself and that’s what woke me up. Green goop drink (wheatgrass,spirolina, Moringa power plus high end probiotics and digestive enzymes are… Read more »

January 3, 2014 5:59 pm
Reply to  Blue Moon

hi BM. “ignoring your pain was the only option” i get this. thanks for those words – we’re in different worlds but i think this helps to explain the way i have lived the past while.
ignoring the pain, or just dealing with it in tiny tiny bites. so it takes longer but it’s manageable.

shinefromtheinside
shinefromtheinside
January 3, 2014 11:43 am

This year, definitely doing what I know works too! Body Movement: Starting every day with some stretching and at least some Pilates moves! Doing the tantra shake! Being even more active! Food Intake: Consistently keeping fresh fruits and veg available and in sight at all times! Listening for my little “burp” which is a definitely signal from my divine body that I’ve had just enough to feel good. (yes, it comes and I only started to realise it when I was doing silent vipsassana mediation 10 days where i would eat quietly and talk to no one!) Mind Intake: Continue… Read more »

January 4, 2014 1:38 pm

Choosing the most flattering clothes takes time but it’s so worth it!

January 3, 2014 10:52 am

Coincidently am just finishing a book by Australian author Caroline Hamilton called ‘Consumed’. Cover says ‘a sensuous tale of food, madness & revenge.
A few amazing hints-recipes in it.

Scorporation, Inc.
Scorporation, Inc.
January 3, 2014 11:28 am
Reply to  Pegasus

*drooling*

Scorporation, Inc.
Scorporation, Inc.
January 3, 2014 10:45 am

“It takes a muscle to fall in love *beep beep*” (M.I.A.) The heart’s a muscle– I think that was the muscle she was referring to. That’s what I told my son, anyhow, when he heard the song. The tongue’s a muscle, too. So are butt cheeks. Cheeky. In the privacy of my home I would chatter incessantly as a youngster. They called me muscle mouth, or motor mouth. As a teen it was metal mouth, & by then I didn’t have shit to say to anyone at home anymore. I have now two weeks under my (black) belt as a… Read more »

January 4, 2014 2:43 am

🙂

January 3, 2014 10:44 am

My diet revolves around non use of PLASTIC. How i hate plastic glad wrap, tuppaware, take-away containers, drink bottles etc. If you eliminate anything that comes with any kind of plastic, anything tinned, you are left with Real Food. Stopping smoking has given me the reward of tits & ass, so they must weigh a combined 3 kilos 🙂 First and only time i ate a mac hamburger, spat it out as it felt like eating cottonwool. A Health Guru seminar in ’72 said ‘eat nothing white & purchase a juice extractor, intermittent fasting, no meat’. After a week couldn’t… Read more »

Scorporation, Inc.
Scorporation, Inc.
January 3, 2014 11:01 am
Reply to  Pegasus

A hearty greeting to your tits & ass, Pegs! Welcome, welcome, curvaceous lovelies… I posted below, then started reading from the bottom up– bottoms up! A hahaha

I never wrote about smoking until I stopped doing it. You? Well, it hasn’t been long for either of us. Not for me, anyhow.

I did the burn a list thing on the new moon, and no, I didn’t inhale 😉 Ya, feels pretty good.

ScorpintheSky
ScorpintheSky
January 3, 2014 10:21 am

That strong and healthy person coming out of the used Honda thing just flipped a switch in my brain. Fabulous. That is who I want to be. 🙂

Baristagem
Baristagem
January 3, 2014 9:04 am

I started Pilates again last week & it was like my body had an epiphany.

January 4, 2014 1:46 am
Reply to  Baristagem

i miss pilates like hell.

Serenity
Serenity
January 4, 2014 7:31 am
Reply to  Pi

Pilates is wonderful for lengthening.

GFTpisces
GFTpisces
January 2, 2014 11:30 pm

Toward the end of 2013 I noticed that I had, without any real conscious decision, started practicing intuitive eating and it has been amazing. I have never been overweight, but have struggled with being underweight and yo-yoing up to the top of my healthy weight range, and as a result have struggled with having a healthy relationship to food. I think what prompted the change was the radical shift in routine/my life that happened with a big move to another state and looking for a new job, that I just wasn’t *thinking* too hard about what I was eating, I… Read more »

GFTpisces
GFTpisces
January 2, 2014 11:32 pm
Reply to  GFTpisces

“laboring” = liberating!

January 3, 2014 10:49 am
Reply to  GFTpisces

YES! Intuitional eating.
The body tunes into what it NEEDS rather than what it WANTS.
As an experiment, group of peoples grew all their own food and their children went to the garden and ate their veggies raw on the spot. Some days they only went for carrots, other days tomatoes.

January 4, 2014 1:38 pm
Reply to  GFTpisces

I love the more sex part!

Gemini Moon
Gemini Moon
January 2, 2014 11:19 pm

For me, its BML , Mars, Moon in Gemini conj. the ASC- its TRX, advanced pilates , no carbs, probiotic( the gemini) and Aloe vera juice!!!

freedom ala air
freedom ala air
January 2, 2014 10:49 pm

Yes totally on this vibe mm! So much exciting energy around the fitness thing! I hit some goals last year and have some more to do this year… Planning on enjoying myself s lot while doing it!

leogroover
leogroover
January 2, 2014 10:28 pm

Just been watching some TED talks about motivation. The main message is just do it. Doesn’t matter how – just do it.
So I will
keep up the aversion to alcohol – don’t need it
Get to gym 2-3 times a week espesh if i don’t feel like it
start in group fitness to meet new (hot) peeps
take 10 mins out of day to think nothing
measure my results with fitness app
journal everything
Stick to boundaries around relationships

opening up a new brain gym that I will design myself

Susan
Susan
January 2, 2014 10:13 pm

More yoga. Take up hiking and running. And dance! 🙂

Gemyogi
Gemyogi
January 2, 2014 8:08 pm

Yes to more exercise and less alcohol and high sugar/processed food.
Regular meditation and yoga.
Swimming laps 1-2 times a week and more walking and bike riding.
Lots more art and a show!
Learning digital and web design
Travel

catfish moon
catfish moon
January 2, 2014 5:52 pm

LOVE this! I have always lived frugal, even when I could afford so much more expensive things.

AGREED paid off house is so hot!

I don’t do tons of carbs, gluten free for many years and don’t fill my diet with substitutes except on rare occasion. I walk, but need to step up on everything else.

zenduende
zenduende
January 2, 2014 5:43 pm

Yay to it being the year of the Horse, too. Super pumped about that! We’re so vain, lol but I’m thinking that’s no coincidence given the muscular but skittish nature of horses. Very ZZ. But, fyi, just started getting into a training regime called Tacfit before Xmas, which was working very well. They refer to ‘functional mobility’, ie., doing exercises that are informed by our natural movements. It was designed for first responders so the people in the class are a good looking cross section of those industries, as an added bonus : D Was def helping with a shoulder… Read more »

Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
January 2, 2014 4:56 pm

Holy WOAH, can I just say that the “Burn the Letter” for the neww moon/year thing WORKS GREAT!!! Thankyou MM!! xx

MmeE
MmeE
January 2, 2014 4:47 pm

I too am already doing some exercise; however, I’m going to ramp it up a notch (BIG TIME) by doing my first marathon in October; have already started my exercise journal…

January 2, 2014 4:34 pm

Well this year really is now or never for me. Neptune’s about to do my Pisces stellium in 7th and Pluto’s almost on my Cap moon-Lilith-Eros-Juno conjunction. Plus I’ll have Jupiter on my ascendant. I made a vision board for Operation Full Power 2014. It covers everything, but top of the list is losing the 8-10kg of wine / party weight I seem to have acquired in 2013. Even my ‘fat’ clothes are too tight and I feel revolting. So it’s back to yoga and Pilates and proper weights/cardio. No excuses this time. Also, my new obsession is podiatry. It… Read more »

Rox
Rox
January 2, 2014 7:29 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

Ok, that was helpful – thanks Chrysalis ! Neptuner in hard aspect (fixed squares) natal, coming to square natal Mars by transit. Weird foot ailments coming & going, not to mention recent head-splitters with these confounded squares aggravating natal Saturn in Aries. On it, ty !

January 2, 2014 9:22 pm
Reply to  Rox

Honestly Rox it was quite startling. After the first treatment I needed rest and water. I’d be interested to know how / if it helps you too!

January 3, 2014 10:37 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

podiatry… hmm. I was considering seeing a podiatrist – first time ever omg i feel like an 80 year old not that there’s anything wrong with that – as i am worried about a potential foot thing after the usual high heels scenario. plus as a pisces you know, maybe a podiatrist/reflexologist/pedicurist (sheesh, that’s a whole clinic worth of foot specialists OMG ANOTHER IDEA *adds to endless list*) is to a pisces as a hairdresser is to a Leo…?

so what did your person do that was amazing? am curious. x

January 4, 2014 4:54 pm
Reply to  Pi

To be honest Pi she probably just did what any practitioner would have done to address my issues, and by doing some much-needed loosening/unblocking, it affected other areas of my body. There was nothing special as such but the effect on me certainly was. She reports this kind of reaction all the time from her patients yet says there isn’t ‘evidence’ to support what she sees. I bet other podiatrists would see the same thing. I imagine it’s the whole ‘western medicine/compartmentalising the body’ issue yet again.

anon flux
anon flux
January 4, 2014 2:00 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

i’ve never been to a podiatrist but when I had my (sweet jesus so painful) dislocated foot put back in my vision was immediately crystal clear. chiro just nodded and smiled. so enigmatic they are. but later my acupuncturist told me there’s a point in the middle of the front of your foot that you can press to improve vision. MENTAL. Pisces MC rates the peeps who can work magic on the trotters.

January 4, 2014 2:39 am
Reply to  anon flux

anon! any chance you want to share who your acupuncturist is, if s/he is not hideously expensive?

also can one just ask an acupuncturist to bring about a certain effect in our body.!?!!? the only acupuncturists I have ever dealt with are chinese with limited command of English (whatever, but it means clear communication is an issue), and one guy who was hideously expensive, and basically talked about himself and how great he was most of the time, like i give a shit dude, when I am paying you $150 (never again) it’s your job to listen to ME ..

anon flux
anon flux
January 4, 2014 3:44 pm
Reply to  Pi

you’ve hit the jackpot pi 🙂 but mine is so awesome and cheap that they get booked up weeks in advance and I try to keep it on the down low. If you want will create a faux email so we can hook up that way and I’ll give you their deets. Is totally doable on a student budget.

Scorpbot
Scorpbot
January 4, 2014 4:15 pm
Reply to  anon flux

you reckon an acupuncturist can fix a blocked tear duct?

It’s driving me MENTAL!!! 😥

Electric Eel Libran
Electric Eel Libran
January 2, 2014 4:18 pm

Interesting article. I really think it was written more to appeal to men though. Most women fear putting on muscle as much as they fear putting on fat. While I would personally love muscular to be the new status symbol, I’m going to assume the article is more about men putting on muscle and women trying to be skinny bullshit again. The Ronda Rouseys and Sarah Robles types out there never get a much ohhhs-aaahhs about their bodies despite being top notch and FIT athletes! I’m already in shape and active and hope to stay more in shape and active.… Read more »

Arien
Arien
January 2, 2014 4:24 pm

Paying down debt is a wonderful mental challenge. Finding new ways to conserve and create money to hasten the end of the debt is one of the most challenging and rewarding things I know.

Electric Eel Libran
Electric Eel Libran
January 2, 2014 4:55 pm
Reply to  Arien

As a Libran I guess I’m not particularly thrilled about this hobby, but I also see the wisdom in pursuing it. It’s sort of like getting excited about getting your teeth cleaned. So yeah, I don’t love it, but with Saturn cruizing your 2nd house, what else can you do?

January 3, 2014 10:26 pm

I have saturn natal in my second house and i actually LOVE going to the dentist (for the maintenance visits). could also be the cap moon calling.

January 3, 2014 10:27 pm
Reply to  Pi

it also helps that he is very cute. but regardless i would still feel great about going.

Saturnalien
Saturnalien
January 4, 2014 12:50 am
Reply to  Pi

I fucking love going to the dentist too, I’d choose a dental appointment over a hair appointment any day (dental pain is short lived, hair trauma can last for decades…)

January 4, 2014 1:48 am
Reply to  Saturnalien

teeth cost a lot more to fix after a period of neglect too. best to keep on top of those things. plus feral teeth = massive turnoff.

January 4, 2014 2:44 pm
Reply to  Pi

Cap rising and love my Dentist, and yes, he’s gorgeousness, also paid him my Feastmoney Xmas eve emergency visit for mouth not actual teeth. Teeth i seriously notice on a person and don’t understand why politicians in the media don’t spend on their teeth for those off mouths of theirs. Teeth tell me much about a person. 2 smokers at Xmas dinner with heavy nicotine stains. Is it ok today to friends ‘get your teeth CLEANED’! It is the one of the many costs of smoking, when i smoked (so proud of myself for quitting) it was a granted to… Read more »

david5379
david5379
January 2, 2014 4:25 pm

increasing muscle doesn’t mean overdoing it and becoming too beefy, on top of the fact its harder for women to put on muscle and its hard for anyone to overdo it since it takes a while, muscle is a really really good thing and helps keep off unhealthy fat and a bunch of other health benefits I don’t remember, a good muscle/strength base makes everything vaguely better health wise, muscle just makes everyone look hotter too, maybe just stop at regular pull ups and push ups if your a girl doing upper body stuff, but you cant overdo squats at… Read more »

david5379
david5379
January 2, 2014 4:29 pm
Reply to  david5379

also, usually when people think a girl is “too” muscular, unless its about the arms/shoulders, its not the actual muscle per se that looks jarring or weird, its the freakishly low bf percent, people look a bit better with at least a bit of fat

Electric Eel Libran
Electric Eel Libran
January 2, 2014 4:53 pm
Reply to  david5379

lol! I’m a freak. The people who say women can’t put on muscle easily haven’t met me yet. I have alarmingly high amounts of natural testosterone in my blood and I put on muscle like crazy. I really do have to dial things back. As it is, clothing doesn’t fit well in the shoulders. And any time I size up that means the waist is baggy. Knits are my friends. Right now, I’m not so big, but when I was bigger I know it freaked out guys. I’m not super low fat though beause I’m not into gyms or living… Read more »

david5379
david5379
January 4, 2014 7:12 am

ohhh ok haha, hmm maybe just don’t progress upper body stuff but keep doin squats, I dunno, getting muscle too fast sounds like a good problem to have ha

Scorporation, Inc.
Scorporation, Inc.
January 3, 2014 11:17 am

Off topic, but Rhonda Rousey wtf?! I watched her in a fight last weekend & at the end of it, after she won, the loser extended her arm to shake hands & Rhonda just kind of went “pffft”, stuck her nose in the air, turned around & walked away! Baaaad form. I thought she was Pro? Please.

Electric Eel Libran
Electric Eel Libran
January 3, 2014 4:23 pm

i saw that too. I don’t know if she huffed the same thing Miley Cyrus is huffing and just thinking this kind of shit raises her career or what? Hard to be humble or something these days??? I heard Cyrus was knocking Beyonce saying she’s all washed up now that she’s a mom and all.

January 3, 2014 10:32 pm

wow. young women (and men, and OK just society in general) = i include my younger self in this – really need to get some respect for the Motherhood. Fear of baby , regardless of decisions around what we want, drives some really shit attitudes in my experience – not just my past attitudes, which can in turn make us avoid healthy relationships and turn our backs on the totality of others’ life -experiences. and the most vital of all, making people.

January 4, 2014 1:56 am
Reply to  Pi

Am re-posting this after some editing because I feel strongly about this and I didn’t say it very well the first time: wow. young women (and men, and OK just society in general) – and I include my younger self in this – really need to get some respect for the Motherhood. Fear of baby , regardless of whatever empowered and informed decisions around what we ultimately want as men and women re children, drives some really shit attitudes in my experience, and I don’t just mean my own past attitudes. I believe this (misinformed fear-based judgement about having a… Read more »

January 4, 2014 1:58 am
Reply to  Pi

still not saying that very well. oh well.

anon flux
anon flux
January 4, 2014 3:26 pm
Reply to  Pi

I get where you’re coming from pi. I have no desire to have children but I realise it is a normal biological function that others engage in and enjoy. I have respect for the motherhood. I do think that you may have things a bit skew whiff re people who choose to breed being the only ones who are in tune with life though. Interesting choice of words.They are in tune with an aspect of the gamut of human life experiences possible meanwhile others are in tune with life in other ways. We are all alive doll, all experiencing life.… Read more »

anon flux
anon flux
January 4, 2014 3:31 pm
Reply to  Pi

I forgot to say if you want to frame things as being about being in tune with real life – one of the reasons I choose not to have children is that I don’t believe the planet needs any more people. This is something I’ve considered at length and my choice stems from my own personal connection with real life and the planet’s ongoing ability to sustain it. We’re all on different paths with different outlooks and although I understand where you’re coming from re people who make choices based in fear of something or whatever, not all those who… Read more »

January 4, 2014 2:49 pm

That was adamantly denied by Miley, totally made-up.
Celebrity media wanting to fill up pages with replies answers and denials, hon.
LIke having Sean Penn mating with Charlize Theron when they are probably making biz deals or joining causes for Haitian children.

Serenity
Serenity
January 3, 2014 6:32 pm

Agreed. Bad sportsmanship! Women can be the worse to their own kind. Men can sniff out women who only like men and shun or put other women down. Yuck

Arien
Arien
January 2, 2014 3:43 pm

I’m doing happiness this year for my fitness program. My dietary choices are based on, What makes me happy? I went without eating processed sugar for YEARS, and then thought desserts sounded like a happy thing. They are not. Sugar is addictive. I’ll stick with fruits. But bread? Specifically, my favorite bagels toasted and spread with butter and (real) jam? That’s pretty happy. Beef? No. Chicken raised by the nice Amish family? Yes. Raw milk and eggs from chickens tended by the over-worked farm family? Still deciding. With all this testing of traditional foods, I find myself longing for summer… Read more »

freedom ala air
freedom ala air
January 2, 2014 10:46 pm
Reply to  Arien

Yes lovely xx

CCA
CCA
January 2, 2014 3:36 pm

The big thing for me is conviction – I want to want to change, not just talk about it but own it.
It’s not something I am very good at for myself – yet.
I’d love any thoughts on how to achieve personal conviction to follow through.

prowlncarb
prowlncarb
January 2, 2014 3:53 pm
Reply to  CCA

I was reading some brain research article the other day which revealed how willpower is relatively useless for making long term lifestyle changes. Which is why the majority of people fail to achieve their goals. Will power is only useful as a short term motivator, but it can’t sustain itself in the long term – our brains just aren’t made that way. I found that the best way to make long term change is to get help. Find people or groups or professionals who model the new behaviour and can lay out a step by step plan. Keeping in regular… Read more »

CCA
CCA
January 2, 2014 4:29 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

Thanks so much – much gentler way of looking at the situation which is definately part of what I am learning about lately.

Naming the internal resistance is helpful makes it feel less all encompassing.

Veronica
Veronica
January 2, 2014 4:51 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

Yes thanks PC, and as a matter of fact, I am doing it with a naturopath, who made the food plan up for me, with a streamlined list of suggestions for what I can eat.

This definitely helped me do what I couldn’t do by myself. I am doing a course of consultations which as you say, should help keep me on track.

I hope I can lose as much weight as you!! I want my old body back!!

R(aqua/tauri)
R(aqua/tauri)
January 2, 2014 7:11 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

This was so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

ScorpintheSky
ScorpintheSky
January 3, 2014 10:17 am
Reply to  R(aqua/tauri)

WOW prowlncrab. Thanks so much for that post. I didn’t know a lot of that and it’s really helpful for me as I try to create changes at the moment. Arigato and have a kickin 2014.

January 2, 2014 4:47 pm
Reply to  CCA

Hey CCA – I subscribe to a newsletter by US coach Martha Beck and was just reading this today. You may find it useful:

The other really good advice I try to follow was from a fitness guru. She said it’s not willpower or conviction or motivation that gets you through – it’s consistency. Just get up and do the same thing every day regardless of how you feel. I find if I start with this then the motivation comes once I start seeing good results. Good luck!

Veronica
Veronica
January 2, 2014 4:52 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

Nice – get up and do the same thing every day!
I will try that for when I am at work…

CCA
CCA
January 2, 2014 5:16 pm
Reply to  Chrysalis

Thanks Chrysalis

Just checked out the site 😉

I agree with consistency – it was only a few months ago I did my first very mini triathlon after boot camping 2 x a week. Then I stopped going and am again looking for the magic solution to get up and go.

Thanks for getting me think this through some more

January 2, 2014 5:51 pm
Reply to  CCA

Oh wow that’s fantastic, I should be asking you for tips on achieving goals!
I don’t know your astro… I am a multi-Pisces and I know this is a bit less-than- haute but sometimes I have found ‘fuq the haters’ an excellent motivator. I am routinely underestimated because I am considered flaky and ‘soft’ and it gives me great pleasure to watch some people’s shock when I accomplish something kick-arse 🙂

CCA
CCA
January 3, 2014 10:32 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

My strategy to date is to start something get really fired up achieve it a bit and crash – would not recommend it unless studying for an exam.

Time to value consistency and routine ????.

Not sure how a cap cap aqua moon struggles as much as I do with “just do it”

Seriously, thanks for your thoughts – most appreciated

leogroover
leogroover
January 2, 2014 10:08 pm
Reply to  CCA
CCA
CCA
January 3, 2014 10:33 am
Reply to  leogroover

Thanks Leogroover – will check it out

January 4, 2014 1:36 pm
Reply to  CCA

The biggest motivator is that you’re excited about you’re doing, continue learning and studying, and setting a daily schedule to devote to your career/interest/project. The habits of a good student to achieve your goal. Read success stories. I’m on linked in. I enjoy reading Richard Branson and Deepak Chopra. There’s so many motivating articles in linked in.

Nightrose
Nightrose
January 2, 2014 3:09 pm

I already discussed some of my stuff in this space and previous, but I’m planning on perfecting being in the 5am club this month so I can enjoy the fruits of that decision this year. Huge thing for me because sleep is one of my biggest things. But Being time poor is not what I’m going for. It will give me the time to meditate, journal, and rotate some workouts. No excuses on that front. I have a lot to work through this year so time is important. Financial fitness is huge for me this year. I’ve planned everything out… Read more »

Quadrupled
Quadrupled
January 2, 2014 3:06 pm

Last year I tried to follow a “to-be list”, 6 items rotating every two months. This year I made another one. To-be lists are good for soul cleaning but this post made me realize that I need a goal-list to survive this year’s ZZ.

Taurus
Taurus
January 2, 2014 2:57 pm

Paying off hecs, zero balance on my credit card, drinking more water, increasing cardio, weights, enough sleep, reading in my favourite spot at home. Chiron conjunct moon in Taurus – I am my own guru on this.

prowlncarb
prowlncarb
January 2, 2014 2:40 pm

I lost 15kg last year by removing grain based carbs from my diet and moderate exercise so maybe I got the message early. The last few weeks have been awful due to going through a grief process around relationships – healthy eating went out the window and I put on 2kg having become a carb eating machine. Bit over it now and feeling the momentum to get back into the healthy lifestyle that I know works for me … Oddly enough, just a couple of days ago I was seriously considering selling my car. It’s nothing flash, but it’s relatively… Read more »

prowlncarb
prowlncarb
January 2, 2014 2:45 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

…. and sorry there wasn’t too much in there about muscles and for the length of the rant. Have been so shut down and non expressive for the past month that I just had to purge! :mrgreen:

gbs
gbs
January 3, 2014 6:34 am

I sold my car last year and currently rely on public transportation. I’m almost debt free now and lost 10 pounds from all the walking. I may not always live in a place where this is feasible, but I love that I’ve reduced my carbon footprint and have money freed up for other things.

January 3, 2014 5:57 pm
Reply to  gbs

Hey gobs
Well done!
That’s awesome!

January 3, 2014 5:58 pm
Reply to  Blue Moon

Shitz I just called you gobs.
GBS
Sorry
Xxx

January 3, 2014 5:56 pm

Me too! Was “forced” to sell both my SLK 350 platinum convertibles which was only car poor little Paris Hilton clone would drive. Yeah. I had one here in the UK and one in CT in a garage I rented from my dad (he used to pretend he didn’t drive it but the milage would rocket up inexplicably somehow:) but I could simply not afford to have a car, pay car tax, numerous parking tickets (sag moon and rag rising lol) speeding fines, fuel costs and the stress of being constantly late. It hurt like hell for a while because… Read more »

Alex
Alex
January 3, 2014 9:41 pm
Reply to  Blue Moon

Cars are the worst health choices we make. Every time I’ve owned one, my weight has gone up dramatically. Lose the car, lose the weight.

It’s not just physical health either. Without a car, one way or another you’re out in the world soaking up the sunshine and other weather, not getting vitamin D deficient, learning what your neighbours look like and interacting with people.

No wonder people find not owning one threatening.

Veronica
Veronica
January 2, 2014 2:52 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

Not a rant PC!!
Very inspiring, as I have to lose 10 -12 kg to help my pre diabetic condition, and have just started an eating plan with very low carb intake. I just hope I can keep it up, as on holiday now, but have a stressful job, and tend to eat when stressed, in a hurry, don’t have time to prepare meals…

prowlncarb
prowlncarb
January 2, 2014 3:58 pm
Reply to  Veronica

See my other epic post to CCA below … it applies to dietary changes and weight loss and is the approach I took to changing my lifestyle.

Nightrose
Nightrose
January 2, 2014 2:58 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

That’s interesting about the carlessness. I went from being on my 3rd BMW in a decade to not having a car for almost a year in 2013. So it’s a jump in mindset but it’s totally doable and frees you up tons. Saved so much money during that time. Living where I do and pursuing the work I do however, being without a car is not very realistic or efficient. So I chose to get a car again. I got a hybrid, saves me so much in fuel and just overall car cost so I’m happy I made the choice.… Read more »

Scorpbot
Scorpbot
January 2, 2014 3:14 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

This new career shift sounds interesting prowlncarb.
I’ve never owned a car! Last time I drove a vehicle was when I lived at home – 26 years ago!!

Definitely helps with fitness and finances 🙂

prowlncarb
prowlncarb
January 2, 2014 3:55 pm
Reply to  Scorpbot

Dipping my toe in Scorpy and seeing what comes up …. one can only try!

LotusFlower
LotusFlower
January 3, 2014 4:55 am
Reply to  prowlncarb

Hey ProwlnCrab. Well done on your epic weight loss – whooo!- and on getting through this past month. Sometimes we just need these down times in the journey to pause and be with how we feel – it’s a way of processing too, as much as being in a more results-obvious warrior phase. (Strikes me as characteristically crab gait too – sideways, sideways, forwards!!) I spent most of last year without a car too and felt so much more connected with my surroundings and other people. I discovered new buildings, developments, things going on. I felt part of life and… Read more »

gbs
gbs
January 3, 2014 6:31 am
Reply to  prowlncarb

I just got through with a Pluto-Progressed Sun conjunction in the 8th House and it engineered many changes in my life, but its final message was about self and identity and my need to take up my due space in this world. I didn’t struggle with this transit nearly as much as I have with Saturn, but I think that’s because Pluto is much more integrated in my natal chart than Saturn is. How is Pluto positioned in your natal? One thing’s for sure, you won’t be the same person after you get done with this transit. It’ll pare away… Read more »

January 3, 2014 5:42 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

RESPECT!

January 3, 2014 7:36 pm
Reply to  prowlncarb

I live in your town, Prowlers and i get the wide eyed flak from people as well. It’s a bit of a pain in this town, but if noone does it, transport will never change. I can’t wait for my chariot of freedom of movement at some point, but i feel right not owning one just yet, just to prove it is possible to live. I mean, people act as though you might actually die without a car. But i restored health and i think this is a part of the health jigsaw puzzle. (I started using my car differently… Read more »

Emg
Emg
January 4, 2014 2:51 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

Blue Moon, I had a Porsche Cayman S. Got divorced and could not keep her. To sell her hurt more than the divorce of hubby number two. Way more! But she had to go for hard up cash reasons. Saying that though, I have had to keep a car due to work and being out in the wilds for over four years. No vehicle no life at all. But if I am truly honest I would have that car back in an instance. I still can’t look at one now! I’m in LZ mode for my Cayman. And as for… Read more »

Margaret
Margaret
January 2, 2014 2:29 pm

Yep, I joined the gym yesterday and signed up for 4 intro one on one sessions to get started correctly. I’m 11 Aries moon and 12 Aries sun and know I need a body full of muscle and water to channel Uranus and every other damn thing that is hitting me. Used to work out but then got hit by car and spent last year moving across country. Also signed up with a writing coach whose sole purpose it to make me use my writing muscles every single morning. I can’t slack off at all. My Saturn and Mdh is… Read more »

Bonnie
Bonnie
January 2, 2014 2:04 pm

I just became a very low fat, raw vegan (5 weeks ago) even though I am already super healthy. The idea is to use it as a really full on 3 month cleanse and then stop and take note of how I feel on it. I also need to deal with a lot of emotional shizz, letting go of the past, self criticism etc. I’m fit as it is so the later is probably the more important goal.

Verity
Verity
January 2, 2014 9:12 pm

Edible non food substance? !!!
Is there an article about it that you know of? I’d like to know more.

freedom ala air
freedom ala air
January 2, 2014 10:42 pm

Good point mm! Further so much money is invested in cures fir diseases while toxic substances in our water, food, air and thoughts are not curtailed! But we live in a conflict we know that…

margy
margy
January 3, 2014 9:48 am

Have just heard the same thing on a news program, and another on fire retardents in our furniture and the damage it does, from the USA. I wonder if our federal gov is even aware, let alone answer questions about these changes to our food & labeling or manufacturing/imports with dangerous chemicals. I have noticed that a lot of clothing imported from overseas has chemicals added to the fabric to prevent bugs eating the cloth, but if you wear these clothes without washing them, they can & do cause skin irritations. Anyway, have also started my own fitness program at… Read more »

fallen angel
fallen angel
January 4, 2014 9:14 am
Reply to  margy

chiming in after a loooong absence.. freedom and margy, California is now instituting the Green Chemistry act which will target “priority products” thus identified as generally containing mutagenic, reprotoxic and cancerous substances. Once these are designated, manufacturers are required to make alternative assessments as to replacement products or otherwise justify why they can’t alter the make up of this.. of course this will be judged from cradle to life, not only in after use and waste but environmental and socio-geographic impacts pre-manufacture. In other words, while something is known to be dangerous at end of life, the questions need to… Read more »

anon flux
anon flux
January 4, 2014 2:08 pm

I’m not a raw food person by any stretch of the imagination so please take this with grain pf salt – I know nothing about it. I do however use this once a day because it’s the only way I can get breakfast happening when I’m in the morning haze – garden of life raw vegan meal replacement (only for me it’s missing meal manifestation and I get to maintain my organic food please stance :). Apparently people complain because it’s gritty but if you add a bit more liquid than they recommend and blend it for longer than you… Read more »

aquasunbird
aquasunbird
January 2, 2014 11:02 pm
Reply to  Bonnie

Good for you that you are brave and inspired to do so. The raw vegan concept is millenia old and so relevant to now. The Essene Gospel of Peace supposedly translated decades ago put forward the possibility of this amongst the essenes. I remember my mother’s interest in the essenes and later Leslie kenton’s raw food books. My most admired person though is Ann Wigmore, she really epitomise radical as far as raw food is concerned. I am not vegan as I have a three year old, but surprisingly a fair quantity of our food is raw.

R(aqua/tauri)
R(aqua/tauri)
January 4, 2014 4:41 am
Reply to  aquasunbird

I love ann wigmore too, I want to go to her training facility in Puerto Rico. Kimberly Snyder has a site with lots of recipes inspired by her and I like chef ahki too because she emphasizes greens/alkalinity so much.

Ann wigmores life story is pretty crazy too. She was a classic Pisces and a beautiful person.

Emg
Emg
January 4, 2014 2:43 am
Reply to  Bonnie

Do watch low fat. Make sure you have an intake of the right omegas no matter what. You need those long chains!

January 4, 2014 1:33 pm
Reply to  Bonnie

I’m curious as to how raw veganism affects your moods and clarity of thought.

PAC
PAC
January 2, 2014 1:58 pm

Down/roen…fuqin tablet typing!

PAC
PAC
January 2, 2014 1:57 pm

“Love this post!”, she thinks, as she lies in bed shoveling spoonfuls of Haagen-Daz Butter Pecan ice cream roen her throat…

Just being real!

January 3, 2014 10:11 pm
Reply to  PAC

lol!! 😉

Xx
Xx
January 2, 2014 1:45 pm

I virtually stopped All exercise after running myself into the ground (boom boom) a couple of years ago.
It was a bad decision that turned me into a couch slug. And it’s had a toll on both confidence and stress management.

I started the new year with green juice and a careful and small weight session.
The aim is to do a little more each day.

Healthy body = healthy mind.

January 3, 2014 7:28 pm
Reply to  Xx

After a long time unwell and incremental exhaustion, i was nervous about running aground again. But i found that rather than doing a bit more each day, i’d aim to maintain a slightly uncomfortable limit until it got comfortable, then up it a notch. I was too worried about sliding back into exhaustion mode, but perhaps that’s because i have a lot of Sagg/Jupiter overboard go hard or go home style to what i do. Anyway, it is one idea, if that helps.

david5379
david5379
January 2, 2014 12:59 pm

I already exercise regularly, but I am going to add to it, gonna start doing daily sprint training and add to the regiment I have set up already. In like 2 years I should be able to do planche push ups, one arm pull ups etc.
Right now I am away from my apartment and all the stuff I need to workout so it kinda sucks but whatever, just a few weeks.

January 3, 2014 7:24 pm
Reply to  david5379

Hey i just returned from a holiday i didn’t want to end …until i realised this morning that i would finally have the right floor space to exercise on again. Missed it.

Raché(Aqua/Tauri)
Raché(Aqua/Tauri)
January 2, 2014 12:15 pm

Love this. Reminds me of that Rick Owens quote posted on here awhile back? Found it…”Buy less clothes and go to the gym instead. Trying to talk with your clothes is passive-aggressive….Isn’t it more chic to be free?” Start my side job at the yoga studio tomorrow and I plan on doing a class a day all month, rotating between different ones to get a sense of what I like (the place is large and there is a huge variety of classes that go on there all day long; favorites are jivamutki, traditional ashtanga series, hot yoga. excited to try… Read more »

January 3, 2014 6:02 pm

Hey Rache
Side job at yoga studio sounds totally rad!
Ballet exercises are my secret legs and bum weapon.
Have you tried Classicore?
It’s a mix of ballet, Pilates and yoga.
It totally rocks.
Go Rache go!
You’re so cool xx

Raché(Aqua/Tauri)
Raché(Aqua/Tauri)
January 4, 2014 6:41 am
Reply to  Blue Moon

I do Ballet Beautiful by the woman who trained the Black Swan actresses and I love it. I previewed the DVD when I got it and was like “what’s the fuss…” because it looked simple and then I tried it and was in awe of how difficult it is.

Related to ballet I have a link for you that you would LOVE…jills-thrills.blogspot.com It’s a ballerina domme woman living this insane life of kink, crime, business, and art in Vegas.

Rachel
Rachel
January 2, 2014 11:51 am

Bikram, swimming, running, less of the white carbs and junk food that I think I can can get away with cause I’m vegan.

Rachel
Rachel
January 2, 2014 11:52 am
Reply to  Rachel

Oh and I plan on saving 10 grand for my holiday in December instead of relying on credit.

Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
January 2, 2014 11:48 am

The paid-off mortgage has ALWAYS been my status symbol of choice.

Fitness goals?

Wait for the knee to heal and proceed slowly.
Take vitamins etc. Eat less refined sugar.

scorpiorising
scorpiorising
January 2, 2014 11:44 am

I absolutely approve of this message. Healthy and fit is empowering!

Virgo-Venus
Virgo-Venus
January 2, 2014 11:38 am

My health regime is closely linked with financial fitness & effectiveness in my thinking

Fishgirl
Fishgirl
January 2, 2014 6:31 pm
Reply to  Virgo-Venus

Totally agree virgo virgo! Same mentality: delayed gratification, mental strength, the process the reward in itself…

multiair
multiair
January 2, 2014 11:35 am

I was forced onto the Auto Immune Protocol a few months ago which is a strict version of the Paleo eating regime and it has changed my life. Health issues I’ve suffered for over 3 decades are now slowly resolving. So my resolution is to stay hard core with this and to find my daughter who has some long standing health issues of her own a better doctor.

lyouke
lyouke
January 2, 2014 1:20 pm
Reply to  multiair

Well done! and Good Luck!

Virgo-Venus
Virgo-Venus
January 2, 2014 11:35 am

Me: running laps around the lake, swimming laps in the pool, dance, pilates, walking to work, walking on the beach, home cooking, no sugar in my tea.