Artemesia Of The Moon

Artemesia Gentileschi Astrology - Moon Goddess painting

Artemesia Gentileschi Astrology Notes.

“As long as I live, I will have control over my being. Talk about a woman who was ahead of her time.”

Artemesia Gentileschi (1593-1652)

Yes, let’s talk about her. What a woman. Artemesia Gentileschi was an Italian Baroque painter. The daughter of an already renowned painter, she endured a seven-month-long hugely publicized rape trial. Hideously, she – not the accused rapist – was tortured with thumbscrews to ensure she was telling the truth.

The case for the defense was that she was already “a whore” at age 18.  Eventually, the rapist was convicted, and she built a successful art career, winning the patronage of the Medicis.

Artemesia Gentileschi Astrology: Plutonic And Ahead Of Her Time.

Her Cancer Sun was square Pluto and opposite Jupiter. She had Venus Retrograde in Leo, conjunct Neptune and both were trine Uranus/Pluto in Aries. Artemesia was super-Plutonic. And, her Moon was in Scorpio, a Pluto-ruled Moon. Going to hell and back with her sexual assault case and subsequent rebirth was a Pluto trip. Her futuristic lifestyle – single mother, creative freelancer – feels like the Venus-Uranus vibe.

From her Astral DNA Report:

Jupiter square Pluto

Jupiter-Square-Pluto is gold. Sometimes literally. Whenever this person goes to even pick up the phone to make some money, book a trip or scare up fresh business, Uncle Pluto gets in on the act. They can’t not pursue their bliss. They usually get ousted from any gig where their soul is not involved and they have superior comeback powers. Never ever write them off or rule them out as a rival/threat.

The woman was antifragile and uniquely self-determined. Unsurprisingly, a lot of her work features myths of female violence against men. But this beautiful picture of the Moon Goddess Artemis/Diana makes me think she knew she was Cancerian and found strength from it.

She Identified With Her Namesake, The Moon Goddess

While astrology often portrays the Moon as Yin and Receptive – the Moon Goddess is wild. She hunts alone and takes long runs through the moonlit jungles. Artemis is more like Pan or one of the nature gods than, say, a sedate and relationship-oriented goddess.

Artemis, Diana, Celene, and the other Moon Goddesses have secret sanctuaries. They swim nude in surreal, magical mountain rivers and converse with all creatures in the world. Some say that they and the Moon know every secret ever told.

The Passion Of Artemesia by Susan Vreeland says she lived a remarkably modern life for a woman of that era. She was hugely aware of being a female artist and single mother of daughters in dangerous times.

Talk about a woman who was ahead of her time.

The Passion Of Artemesia

Ariel
Ariel
April 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Have always identified with Artemis, even before finding out I had Moon in Aries. This appeals to me even more. Thank you for the beautiful pic & reminder of the true radicalism of Artemisia Gentileschi – planning to read that book now!

Amanda aka AbsintheDragonfly
Amanda aka AbsintheDragonfly
April 10, 2013 2:57 am

Ohhh. LOVE LOVE LOVE. The end.

redqueen
redqueen
April 10, 2013 1:31 am

Mystic, this post was exactly what I needed today. Holy synchronicity.

Thank you. And thank everyone’s insights, as well.

FUCK YES MOON
FUCK YES MOON
April 9, 2013 6:16 pm

This depiction of the moon is sooo good. i was on another virgo-y rant @Lnelson modern western astrology for holding onto sexist/racist/otherwise oppressive worldviews. but this fiercely fit wild jungle lady suits me much more comfortably. which actually proves my point anyway…. …which is that the moon/yin/venus energy is seen as weaker because its associated with THE FEMININE, and we live in an imperialistic, exploitative PATRIARCHAL settler society. so yes, water and earth signs and the moon and venus were traditionally considered… ‘female’ and ‘negative’. negative means, literally, a LACK of something. what is it that the mental category of… Read more »

hiddendragonqueen
hiddendragonqueen
April 9, 2013 4:08 pm

my crab moon daughter is a perfect artemis, loves and nurtures small animals but her joy is in seeking them out in the wild; endless searches for lizards and snakes and critters hiding under rocks, on branches, in puddles. if there is a creature within 100 feet she will find it, and have it in her hands within 5 minutes. in this she takes after her kataka sun dad completely- he will screech off to the side of the road from 70mph to rescue a snake he glimpsed from the corner of his eye. i’ve always mourned for him as… Read more »

hiddendragonqueen
hiddendragonqueen
April 9, 2013 4:11 pm

lame, sorry for the double post.

hiddendragonqueen
hiddendragonqueen
April 9, 2013 4:04 pm

my crab moon daughter is a perfect artemis, loves and nurtures small animals but her joy is in seeking them out in the wild; endless searches for lizards and snakes and critters hiding under rocks, on branches, in puddles. if there is a creature within 100 feet she will find it, and have it in her hands within 5 minutes. in this she takes after her kataka sun dad completely- he will screech off to the side of the road from 70mph to rescue a snake he glimpsed from the corner of his eye. i’ve always been sad for him… Read more »

Selene
Selene
April 9, 2013 2:40 pm

ironic that this post came up just after I finished reading, and being inflamed by, an article by Dan Savage in which he spouted off about the need to protect men from rape accusations. (um, didnt they design the justice system to do that for them??) Logically I can see the need for men to protect themselves BUT the same men who argue for this protection always coveniently overlook the fact that patriarchy, sexism, male dominance and rape are all utterly illogical imbalances women must contend with without any protection. If they were truly concerned about justice being served and… Read more »

FUCK YES MOON
FUCK YES MOON
April 9, 2013 6:33 pm
Reply to  Selene

Well said clapclapclap

pegasus
pegasus
April 9, 2013 10:25 am

Artemesia, i think may have been the female painter featured in the ‘Borgias’,perhaps lip service to a woman painter who had to disguise herself as a boy to be ABLE to paint and have an apprenticeship.
I find that era 14-16th century fascinating and read much about it, love love the paintings since presented with a large book on renaissance art when a
sprog of 7 years old.

It is said one returns to what one loved as a child when all is said and done.

Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
Lux Interior is My Co-Pilot
April 9, 2013 8:38 am

AWESOMEx500

calypso scorp
calypso scorp
April 9, 2013 7:43 am

yep, amazing strength and fuq you to convention.

Artemis is with my sun, mercury, jupiter & P. Fort on the via combusta…

kiriko
kiriko
April 9, 2013 7:31 am

Holy mother, last night I was admiring the image of my boyfriend in bed, bathed in candlelight and thought, “He looks like a Gentileschi,” but thought perhaps that would be too morbid (she’s most famously associated with Judith Slaying Holofernes, yes?) and so said, “You look like a Caravaggio” instead. Synchronicityyyy~

Flirtation, ex (lol eternal) art school girl style.

Kels
Kels
April 9, 2013 7:02 am

Yes, that’s it. In some ways Artemis reminds me of the hermit, but while he shines a light in the darkness she hunts outside its radius.

Lucy
Lucy
April 9, 2013 5:59 am

SourPatch
SourPatch
April 9, 2013 5:06 am

I go with this side of the moon, most def! Thanks for all these posts Mystic, I’m loving the 3D representation of our sign.

scorpiorising
scorpiorising
April 9, 2013 1:56 am

yes, love her. Perfect post. Inspiring!
I adore the moon and the secrets she keeps.

scorpiorising
scorpiorising
April 9, 2013 1:55 am

beautifully stated

catfish moon
catfish moon
April 9, 2013 12:43 am

Yes we love her.
Artemis, Artemis, maiden huntress come to us.
Holy maiden huntress….

Ms.
Ms.
April 9, 2013 12:33 am

Ms.
Ms.
April 9, 2013 12:31 am

my sagg moon approves of a woman who can shoot things being in sync with her maternal care and protection. I hate that we edit this out of the female psyche and call it masculine.

redqueen
redqueen
April 10, 2013 1:25 am
Reply to  Ms.

Yes, this. My cancerian sun/sagg moon 7 year old daughter loves the warriors and their stories, especially women. She loves archery and secret wild spots, the moon and the wild. She is very intuitive and close to her dreams, her subconscious. She is teaching me, and I am learning about the mother/warrior aspect of this archetype. My Sagg asc loves this. Hunting outside of the light of the hermit in the wilderness – such a great image. The mother and warrior are one – Silver Huang, your insights are really inspiring me this morning. Thank you. Artemis is a great… Read more »

Ms.
Ms.
April 9, 2013 12:30 am

you think about how hard this is now and how much balls you would have had to have to go through all that then, and then sadly how much has not changed, esp in certain parts of the world, since the middle ages. Artemis indeed.

Charley
Charley
April 9, 2013 12:28 am

How have I never heard of her until now? She sounds amazing!!

aquacrab
aquacrab
April 9, 2013 12:27 am
aquacrab
aquacrab
April 9, 2013 12:17 am

Thankyou mystic!!

John
John
April 8, 2013 11:49 pm

Could just be the gay boy speaking but I have always loved a strong feminine figure. Asteroid Artemis is the tip of a yod where my Asc/Dark Moon Lilith conjunction sextiles Asteroid Medusa. LOVE the painting. Will have to look her up. Thanks!

scorpiorising
scorpiorising
April 9, 2013 1:55 am
Reply to  John

That is why I adore my gay boy friends so much, they not only get but love strong feminine archetypes.

Chrysalis
Chrysalis
April 8, 2013 11:32 pm

I once had a dream where I was in a car with all the women named Diana /Diane that I know… five of them, and me. One of the Dianas was driving.

Really like that description of the moon goddess… earthy and strong, self sufficient. Love it.

ladycrab
ladycrab
April 10, 2013 6:40 am
Reply to  Chrysalis

love this

just inspired to look up the old barbershop tune ‘oh diana’

“I’m so young and you’re so old
This, my darling, I’ve been told
I don’t care just what they say
‘Cause forever I will pray
You and I will be as free
As the birds up in the trees
Oh, please stay by me, Diana”

hmmm…

S
S
April 8, 2013 11:28 pm

The absurd nature of the legal process, just as f’d up then as it is now. The burden falling upon the victim and victims of sexual violence to prove the actuality of the offence(s). Who is really on trial?
While justice did eventually surface. The damage to her career and character was another act to which she survived. Her sensitivity to the female form, and her ability to not shy away from feminine strength is an amazing legacy. Thanks for this post Mystic.

Ladyleo
Ladyleo
April 8, 2013 11:21 pm

I love this. Makes me proud of my cancer moon. I often feel the cancer moon in me is truly innate but I try and deny it, conscious of my ‘crab’ like behaviour like withdrawing, hiding in my shell, being a bit of homebody…This makes me want to own it!
“the Moon Goddess is wild. Fiercely fit, she hunts alone and takes long runs through the moonlit jungles”
Yep.

Paints an awesome picture.

And the yes to the secret sanctuaries bit.

G
G
April 8, 2013 11:10 pm

Interesting! I never identified with my Cancer moon at all – not really into the stereotypical gogo Cancer descriptions.

But running at night – been doing that for YEARS. Silent, early morning runs are a perfect reset for my poor little brain.

Something clicked with this post. Cool 🙂

Ms.
Ms.
April 9, 2013 12:28 am
Reply to  G

having been raised the way I was, I was always surprised how 1950s housewife the cancer moon is portrait for the feminine. Esp in astrology where we have such archetypes like Artemis.

G
G
April 9, 2013 1:48 am
Reply to  Ms.

1950’s housewife is a great description of that stereotypical image, but the Artemis image is so brilliantly multi-faceted. A woman, alone, hunting the wilds at night – just imagine the confidence, bravery and skill required to hunt successfully at night, when you can’t see. And hunt what?!

It’s something to aspire to, isn’t it? 🙂

Double Happiness
Double Happiness
April 9, 2013 7:40 am
Reply to  G

very inspiring

doubleliblottascorp
doubleliblottascorp
April 10, 2013 7:52 pm
Reply to  G

Staggeringly wonderful painting….love the image of singularly powerful woman with dog companion. This has made me LOVE my Cancer moon…thanks!

curiouser and curiouser crab
curiouser and curiouser crab
April 9, 2013 8:58 am
Reply to  G

moon in cancer here. have always loved my night wallks and, living in a hot climate, do lots of it. and near the water. perfect bliss.

WaterVirgo
WaterVirgo
April 9, 2013 11:28 am

I love it and my moon in Kataka/Kataka rising loves it too. Like you own your soul and all it’s glorious passion and are immune to those who try to destroy it, ‘cos you bathe in your secret sanctuaries and go a hunting yourself for what nourishes your soul. Not hunting relationships with a yang to complete you. They can join the ride but if they can’t keep up they fall away.

Fire Fish
Fire Fish
April 8, 2013 10:53 pm

Oh YES! I love this! So deeply appeals to my Kataka Moon.

Aquaria
Aquaria
April 8, 2013 9:53 pm

Well I ought to, I got 105 conj my Asc. 😉 So yeah, Lilith is transiting my Artemis. Fun times!