So every day i get emails with questions such as “Are Leo and Scorpio compatible?” or “Is this a star crossed relationship as in our relationship was written in the stars?” You know the sort of thing.
So here are some quick thoughts on the subject – quick as i am working on the thrilling Oracle Rebirth today. Subscribers, you will get an email the moment it’s up.
* Sun Sign Compatibility is crap. There is no such thing. Yes Leo and say Aries are both Fire signs and so technically similar and thus maybe more “compatible” but actually not really. Because (a) it’s like Ego War whenever they’re together and (b) what if one of them has four planets in Capricorn? You have to look at the whole chart or it’s irrelevant.
* Synastry – the art of comparing two charts to determine compatibility via the Mars, Venus, Moon etc intra-aspects is stunningly accurate and loads of fun. There is so much amazing stuff that synastry will yield up to you with examination. BUT unless it’s you doing it for you, it can be imperfect so far as the interps are concerned.
* Here’s why: Say you have two people and Person One has their Mercury on the Mars of Person Two. This aspect in and of itself is Mercury (mind, rapport, communication style) conjunct another person’s Mars (libido, assertion, ego etc). Depending on the peeps involved, this could go one of two ways.
(1) The Mars person feels totes understood and motivated by the Mercury person. The Mercury person is likewise stimulated in the company of the Mars person. Both feel aroused and ambitious in the company of the other. They scheme together. They have a kind of sexy, competitive banter going on between them.
(2) They annoy the fuq out of each other. The Mars person talks over the Mercury person in some sort of subliminal battle to achieve conversational dominance. The Mercury person inadvertently triggers every single one of the Mars persons pet hates. They feel irritated and on edge in one another’s company.
If one person has a poorly aspected Mars or they just don’t DO their Mars sufficiently OR the other person has a tricky Mercury, being around the other will make them feel inadequate, bring up as it does the unpolished areas of their persona/psyche. If someone has Pluto aspecting the Mercury or the Mars, you’ve got Pluto in the equation every time their is a heated discussion, sex or whatever. But maybe only one person is feeling the Pluto aspect – so automatically one person is heaps more intense about everything than the other.
And this is just ONE little Mercury-Mars aspect to be taken into account. This brings me to the other drawback of synastry – it is time consuming. Anyone can spew out a list of all the aspects between you but figuring out the whole picture takes hours AND you don’t know the degree of evolution you’re working with. The Mars of – say – a martial artist who meditates and is consciously trying to have awesome relationships will be very different from the Mars of someone who flips out every five minutes at the slightest stimulus.
So synastry is amazing but actually – i.m.o. – best done d.i.y. And the quickest way to start is to get two charts and work out the closest aspect you guys having going on. Because that is likely to be the initial signature of your relationship. eg; Sun-Mercury = intellectual rapport, Mars-Venus = Sex, Moon-Jupiter = Emotional nurturing, maybe someone gets pregnant real fast. These are just generalisations…but what do you think?