Be Squared

“It is not the mountain that we conquer, but ourselves…”

Mountaineer Edmund Hillary (the first person to climb Mt Everest, along with his Sherpa Tenzing Norgay) is an excellent example of positive use of heaps of squares in your chart.

He’s got cardinal squares – which is what the Zap Zone of Uranus square Pluto is. Cardinal squares may be a pain but they sure as hell get results.

So Sir Edmund has his Capricorn Rising square his Moon in Aries square his Sun in Cancer/Kataka.  So how did he relax? By setting out on technically impossible expeditions into wilderness terrain. Capricorn Rising is, of course, the ultimate climber AND needs to impress via official feats of amazingness. He was also packing a powerful Mars-Pluto conjunction in Cancer/Kataka. You could argue that Mars opposite the sign in which it is exalted is weakened but with Pluto alongside, i think not.

Plus the dude had North Node in Saggo, I’d say he was doing his chart just brilliantly.  He apparently absolutely hated talk about the past, even Everest. He thought it unhealthy.

Never let anyone tell you that square aspects in your chart are a bad thing; they get you motivated. Too many trines and you sloth out on your sofa for years at a time, passively absorbing whatever crap culture radiates your way from the television.

And re Sir Edmund, how craggily gorgeous are his Cap Rising features?

lee
lee
November 6, 2011 4:52 pm

Crazy. My Capricorn rising is square my Moon in Aries, square my Sun in Sag. Almost exact same astro.

I’ve had some very profound and life-changing dreams about climbing impossible mountains, too. Must take a note from this fellow and do something amazing with all these squares.

Pisces with Sagg Rising
Pisces with Sagg Rising
November 4, 2011 2:07 pm

I have only one square which is my MC (not sure what that is) squaring uranus. It explains why i have no motivation.

Anyway, here’s a tidbit about Edmund Hillary. I read this article about him that said he was so shy about asking his wife to marry him that he got her mother to ask on his behalf. I read this and thought “he’s got to be a Kataka – phobia about rejection”. Checked Wikipedia and sure enough….

Rest of the article pretty much confirmed that he was an all round good bloke.

moonstone
moonstone
November 2, 2011 11:39 pm

4 cardinal squares and I have plenty of drive
The Sun Square Mars,
The Sun Square Jupiter,
Mars Square Pluto,
Jupiter Square Pluto.

moonstone
moonstone
November 2, 2011 11:58 pm
Reply to  moonstone

add to that, Mars Square true Node and Jupiter Square true Node. New Total = 6.

Sun Square Jupiter (orb of 3).

I read somewhere about ‘bedding the squares’. I take that to mean the sign that squares my sun would be good for me?

purpleta
purpleta
November 2, 2011 2:08 pm

Libra- Sun, Mars, Mercury
Aries – Moon
Capricorn – Rising, Sat, Nept, Uranus
Cancer – Jupiter, Chiron
NN Aquarius, 2nd house

Cardinal? Squares? You bet! Results? None, just a never-ending stiff neck. I envy you, Edmund.

SourPatch
SourPatch
November 2, 2011 12:07 pm

Hehe, I’ve got the same Sun and ASC as Mr. Hillary but instead of an Aries Moon, I’ve got an Aries Mars which loosely *trines/sextiles* my SUN-ASC opposition. Mars is squared by Saturn/Uranus though. Not sure I’d ever climb Mount Everest, but where I’m at now compared to 3 years ago shocks me sometimes. I was sure I’d never get out of that hole. -__-

balancing
balancing
November 2, 2011 3:55 am

I have the reverse square of mr Hillary
Aries sun and Cancer moon.
yep it is a weird one I feel , maybe the reverse is easier as you have spiritual drive to get over nostalgia and wateryness, not as I have nostalgia and psychic goo contaminating your ambitious drive.

🙂

Alex
Alex
November 2, 2011 1:05 am

Oh Mystic, not comfortable with the “his Sherpa” business. That sounds like a bit of British Imperialist racism you learnt a long time ago in school. They both climbed Everest. How about just “with Sherpa…”

Lucy the Leo
Lucy the Leo
November 2, 2011 3:51 pm

*snicker*

November 1, 2011 11:12 pm

I wonder who has the most squares in their chart? I have Ten. Moon square Mars Moon square Saturn moon square Uranus Moon square Pluto Moon square chiron Mercury square mars mercury square Saturn Mars square Jupiter Venus square Asc Jupiter square Saturn It’s exhausting!! *sigh* Oh, to have a chart full of trines. Struggling to find the motivation to get out of bed in the morning at the moment. Must be my Pluto/Asc transit and four major planets (including Chiron) are retrograde at the moment!!! Probably pinging off all my squares. Off to sloth out on my sofa in… Read more »

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
November 2, 2011 1:31 am

Wow, that’s some action there…I have six just using the major placements

Two cardinals: Sun sq Saturn, Mercury sq Saturn

Other, non cardinal: Pluto sq Jupiter, Jupiter sq midheaven, Uranus sq Neptune, Moon square Neptune, Venus sq Uranus

I’d say the cardinal squares give for drive. Hell, just someone tell me where we’re giong okay? (joking…)

Funny cuz I’m not exactly sure how I ended up with AC/DC on my ear buds at 7:15 in the morning …

~It’s a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll..~

🙂

November 2, 2011 11:28 am
Reply to  Sweetpea

most of my squares are fixed/mutable. Only one Cardinal. I have plenty of drive though – Scorp sun/Sagg moon…. well not at the moment with Neptune transiting 2nd house.

I’ve been to the top Sweetpea. It’s lonely up there.

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
November 2, 2011 2:48 pm

Martin Luther King Jr., a Capricorn. 15 January, 1929, Atlanta, GA.

Said he’d been to the mountain. I don’t doubt it for one second, Tropic of Cap…

And then they kill you….x

November 2, 2011 4:54 pm
Reply to  Sweetpea

hehe 😉

Lucy the Leo
Lucy the Leo
November 2, 2011 7:07 am

Whoa! You win! That is one aspected Moon.

November 2, 2011 11:31 am
Reply to  Lucy the Leo

one word sums it all up – FREEDOM. Makes sense with a Saggo moon. 🙂

Saturnalien
Saturnalien
November 3, 2011 9:13 pm

I’ve got 12 squares, mix of cardinal and fixed (and 2 t-squares) – can totally relate to the exhaustion. Next life I’m reincarnating with a stellium in Taurus and a comfy couch.

November 3, 2011 10:18 pm
Reply to  Saturnalien

Hahahaha… YOU win!! More squares than a Rubik’s cube as you mentioned on some other post. You’re not wrong! 🙂

Have you done the “How strong is your Saturn?” test:

I got 83. It’s the highest score of all my planets. Hard to believe Jupiter is 2nd on the list but of course I don’t feel it as often as I’d like ‘cos Saturn likes to rains on the parade.

Saturnalien
Saturnalien
November 4, 2011 8:06 pm

Whoa 83 is mega Saturn! I scored in the high category for all the planets. The only almost almost off the scale score I got was Venus at 57 (which might explain my desire to reincarnate as a Taurean with a comfy couch…)

WOOHOO
WOOHOO
November 1, 2011 8:30 pm

Cool. Now I know what to do with my Capricorn rising square Aries Moon square Cancer Sun. P.S. I don’t do relaxing. Relaxing = boring.

Lucy the Leo
Lucy the Leo
November 1, 2011 6:12 pm

I am also appreciative of reading positive things about squares as I have a couple that you can read some pretty negative things about. Apparently my Venus square Pluto means I have to watch out for becoming a prostitute.
I say take the square and own it! Use it for your own devices…

November 1, 2011 6:31 pm
Reply to  Lucy the Leo

😆 ‘watch out for becoming a prostitute’ That’s hilarious!!!

Curious Cancerian
Curious Cancerian
November 1, 2011 10:44 pm
Reply to  Lucy the Leo

same here (Venus square Pluto)!! You can really get down reading a lot of the doom and gloom stuff out there, esp with this little aspect it seems. But then I read that Goldie Hawn has this in her chart, and she’s had years of blissed out domesticity with Kurt Russell, right?

November 2, 2011 10:14 pm

Same Venus sq Pluto

libra world takeover
libra world takeover
November 1, 2011 5:32 pm

I have a square venus (virgo) mars (scorpio). I’ve always had an interesting time with the fellows.

InchbyInch
InchbyInch
November 1, 2011 11:40 pm

Virgo – Scorpio is a sextile.

year of the fox
year of the fox
November 1, 2011 4:39 pm

Good to know that squares can work for you too. I’ve got Mars-Pluto conjunct as well and i always have to rip $h*# up it seems to find sanity.

goldenfleece
goldenfleece
November 1, 2011 4:10 pm

In both his and Tenzing Norgay’s biographies, I like how neither of them could be drawn out on ”But who touched/reached the top first ?” , because that would be missing the point, they did it together. Respect.

aurora lights
aurora lights
November 1, 2011 3:48 pm

Square? Who me? Well – in my situ, i so wanna not be square like a mad thing, so i do have a need to go fully hexad in some ways for sure, but there’s this other side to me that is deeply Saturn rule adherence, and that’s all reinforced by Neptune, Pluto and Uranus and so overall keeping serious things fully sorted, but excessive, lazy and unambitious and mental-bental in good times for sure. Polarities and lessons to be integrated all four chart sectors, it’s been a wild ride, now a new phase of who i am unfolding, never… Read more »

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
November 1, 2011 3:32 pm

~how long do I have to climb up on the side of this mountain of mine~

Chris Martin, Speed of Sound….Aqua Mars square Leo Uranus…

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
November 1, 2011 3:35 pm
Reply to  Sweetpea

Square Scorp Uranus… 😉

fushiafairy
fushiafairy
November 1, 2011 3:12 pm

Very amazing feat! Go cardinal squares!
I have 4 cardinal squares! And two cardinal oppositions! involving jupiter and chiron in Aries, Sun and saturn in Cancer, and Uranus in Libra.
When I set my mind to something, it gets done.
But I do get lazy….moon trine neptune likes to dream away.

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
November 1, 2011 2:51 pm

I love these kinds of posts about inspirational folks working their charts to the max. Yay, Mystic.

He was a super cool guy, universally admired and went on to establish foundations in the Himalayas to improve the lives of the local people. A genuine hero and role model.

Piscean Closed For Renovation
Piscean Closed For Renovation
November 1, 2011 3:01 pm
Reply to  Ãœber Virgo

totally agree UV. Right now the only thing that motivates me is examples of awesome individuals conquering their lives through sheer determination. none of this romance-o dreamo venus career finagling other people crap. no offence to anyone who is actually enjoying that in their lives, good for youse all (lol). but for me it’s get outside and do something with your life, or else you might as well lie down and die now.

aurora lights
aurora lights
November 1, 2011 2:50 pm

Read his bio, he was a very good man in many ways, naturally and simply fearless.

Hilary sounded so wholesomely macho in a fearless, graceful, quiet, yet bold way, in all aspects of his life. He was a good husband too, i read. Me always loves the healthy-naturalist-outdoor-man looks. Yes definitely a ‘Sir’ in my conclusion.

Gneiss Moon
Gneiss Moon
November 1, 2011 1:41 pm

Lovely Mystic ! Great example of how to live the cardinal squares- through action. My squares are fixed, is a surrendering of the self-will, so apt- it includes biggie 11th house Scorp Neptune to the 8th house Leo Venus Jupiter conjunction. Was really tuning into the higher Neptune today to be sure, (wonky transit action) it is constant vigilance, but squares vibrating high are even more powerful than a trine because they are a result of your flexed spiritual muscles. How cool is that !? I love to hear positive stories of people overcoming their personal difficulties, and he is… Read more »

Saturnalien
Saturnalien
November 1, 2011 1:38 pm

I’ve got more squares than a fuqing rubik’s cube in my natal chart and have been getting zap zoned and eclipsed to the max for what feels like an eternity. It’s been absolute hell but every day I count my blessings for the astrology knowledge that helps me work the energies for better rather than worse. A long way to go yet but at the rate I’m going I’ll be fit for world domination by the end of it… watch out fuqers, she lives!

Gneiss Moon
Gneiss Moon
November 1, 2011 1:44 pm
Reply to  Saturnalien

Towanda ! 😀
I just got a great mental image of the chopper guys that ride on the hywy at top speed while standing in the saddle ~ Cheers Saturnalien !

Saturnalien
Saturnalien
November 1, 2011 4:03 pm
Reply to  Gneiss Moon

😀 Love it!

virgo cat
virgo cat
November 1, 2011 1:22 pm

So MM (and others), how about a lot of squares in synastry? Also really awesome? hahahahaha.

leogroover@gmail.com
leogroover@gmail.com
November 1, 2011 1:22 pm

Yay for NZ. Love all those rugged types and their conquests and no high tech gear like they have now.

Catsmeow
Catsmeow
November 1, 2011 1:11 pm

So many squares and oppositions in my chart. But we’re just talking about squares huh? Scorp Rising square Leo Sun square Mars in Toro. I actually did used to be very lazy and unmotivated when I was younger, but now I’m a fiend and take my work very seriously. Life starts now and I’ll get nowhere on the snooze!

This guy sounds amazingly motivated. So I take my work seriously but I don’t know if I could climb Mt. Everest. I’ll leave that business to the Cardinals. I tell ya no one gets it done like a Cardinal.

diamond moon
diamond moon
November 1, 2011 12:43 pm

good to know about squares
jupiter sq to my sun is productive. i really don’t understand adult peeps who can’t get their shit together.

diamond moon
diamond moon
November 1, 2011 12:51 pm
Reply to  diamond moon

and that’d be my ‘cardinal’ jupiter square sun talking.

Lexicorn
Lexicorn
November 1, 2011 12:40 pm

He reminds me of Michael Palin, no? Is it just the weathered face of the explorer?

Piscean Closed For Renovation
Piscean Closed For Renovation
November 1, 2011 3:02 pm
Reply to  Lexicorn

i think it’s the brows and the bone structure too 🙂

Seabird
Seabird
November 1, 2011 12:37 pm

He is, as you quite rightly point out, really hot! But I sometimes think I might have been born in the wrong decade….