An Atypical Taurus?

Hunky FreeganMeet Mr Mark Boyle aka the Moneyless Man.

A writer, activist and freeeconomist, he lives off the grid,  cleans his teeth with crushed up fish bones + fennel seeds and dines out via “dumpster diving.”

Admirable as he is in so many ways, are his lifestyle tips OUR future?

No & i posted my Astro-Economy rant on my Facebook page, if you didn’t read it in the Daily Mystic email.

His astro is fascinating though. He’s a Taurus: so thus Part-materialist, part Greenie & part stingy.

Don’t diss me for the latter observation – Competitive Frugality is very NOW, totally Pluto in Cap and saving is the new maxed out – but Taureans are only out-stinged by Capricorns. And they’re tree-huggers from way back.

So this all fits only Mark Boyle is super-adept at taking his stance public.

His Taurus Sun is opposite Uranus – the indicator of an agitator, unconventional & iconoclastic et al.

He’s got Venus-Mercury-Mars in Aries so that’s a lot of guts & pioneering qi to boof things up AND his Mars is trine Neptune.

Remember we wanted an example of ‘good’ Mars-Neptune men – go here to see the ‘bad’.

He’s also got Mars opposite Pluto: a Zap Zone in motion.

He doesn’t go on the internet so who wants to volunteer to take him some complimentary Daily Horoscopes copied out onto reclaimed papyrus?

BTW I once knew a Gemini who hooked up with an Aquarius who had similar beliefs to Mark Boyle – she was loving it, paleo EVERYTHING, you get my drift – but stormed out when he said she had to use scrunched up moss instead of sanitary pads AND then soak/re-use even the moss AND the menses soak water.

AquaMeg
AquaMeg
August 6, 2011 1:30 pm

As an Aqua, I flirt heavily with the ‘green lifestyle’ thing. I married an Aqua rising energy auditor and we weatherized our house, save tons of US $$$ each year. Have daydreams about an all-organic wardrobe, was a veggie for several years, call myself a debit card activist. But I actually have been as close to moneyless as I want to get, and it wasn’t fun. Counting every penny, deciding between food and bills. No thanks. Not even my Virgo moon and Venus Cap were happy with the ultra-frugality of that one. Whoa, and that’s a lot of Aries planets!… Read more »

Taurus Vixen
Taurus Vixen
August 6, 2011 12:17 pm

Ewww! and that is coming from a Taurus. There is no way I would EVER brush my teeth with crushed up fish bones even with fennel seeds in the mix. And the thought of dumpster diving for food? Can’t believe he is a Taurus.

equilibrium girl
equilibrium girl
August 6, 2011 11:24 am

This is soooo my Dad. Lives in a huge house that he’s gradually converting into a big eco-self-sufficient-zero-emission-type place. He’s late 60s and has the most fighting fit, lean body after he realised that cycling was his preferred method of travel (at around 50) and that food was better compartmentalised into little frozen, plastic-wrapped blobs that he could defrost when hungry. (This is also what he serves up to guests – hence he doesn’t get many guests. Certainly not this Cap!) He doesn’t work (hasn’t since early 90s) but he does all sorts of odd jobs, plays the sharemarket, travels… Read more »

twinfishrising
twinfishrising
August 6, 2011 10:28 am

Wow. Love this post. Mystic , you have your finger on the stream . Wonder where your Uranus is? This guy is walking his talk , and it is HIS talk. Despite the free market/ democratic /freedom of expression flag that a lotta modern citizens wave there is both a biological and material imperative to belong to the group. Anyone who dares question ownership and private property laws is not met with the same applaud as one who challenges rascist or sexist issues. Yet the earth belongs to no one it belongs to everyone, so someone who dares to share… Read more »

twinfishrising
twinfishrising
August 6, 2011 10:36 am
Reply to  twinfishrising

That was qite a rant.

Re Taureans being greenies , they at the raw lovers of the zodiac , no?

Taurean Alchemist
Taurean Alchemist
August 6, 2011 8:46 am

really? *goes back to very comfy bed with luxury sheets to contemplate stinginess etc*

Maria
Maria
August 6, 2011 8:45 am

I am a Taurean and tell my family that Iam going bush. I have always felt like living away and doing my own thing. living like a hermit. Think people think Iam nuts. But i can really relate to this guy. I dont know a great deal about astrology but i was born on the 8th of may and have aries moon mars in aquarius mercury in gemini venus in gemini. I married a gemini!! I wonder why?

Taurean Love Expert
Taurean Love Expert
August 6, 2011 7:21 am

Hmmmmmmm, super hunky & outdoorsy. Yes, I reckon he would be painfully dogmatic over the longer term, but I am happy to imagine an idyllic midsummer woodland fling (near a stream, for nude swims and actual bathing etc).

As I get more Taurean post 40, I am def getting greener & stingier.

Buckle (Aries, Pisces Asc, Gem moon)
Buckle (Aries, Pisces Asc, Gem moon)
August 6, 2011 6:56 am

I think maybe MM’s end point there in the post was that some people who want to adhere to an ideal for themselves don’t necessarily allow their own loved ones the same freedom of choice.

Sometimes rule-breakers get very ‘rules-y’ too.

AquaMeg
AquaMeg
August 6, 2011 1:33 pm

You nailed it, Buckle. I’d love to buck the rules more often with my own firebrand-ism, but then I’d become as dogmatic as the rule-makers, wouldn’t I? 🙂

earth angel
earth angel
August 6, 2011 6:52 am

p.s.s. I have a Taurus moon conjunct Saturn and a late Cap Sun/Mer/Venus. His actions and beliefs are very Taurean. Taurus is very much about the conservation of resources. It’s an often oversimplified sign. And reading about Ghandi changed his life. Eastern religions are linked to the Taurean nature, which is really about the search for enlightenment and right use of resources. Buddha was a Taurus, and found enlightenment under the Taurus full moon – Wesak. The earth and everything in it is a resource. Money is a false, man-made resource. Though most Taureans prefer to have much of it,… Read more »

plutonic gem
plutonic gem
August 6, 2011 8:38 am
Reply to  earth angel

yeh nice, that makes sense.

andromeda
andromeda
August 6, 2011 9:02 am
Reply to  earth angel

I like this! The abundance of Gaia and her constant love, her iron crystal core, her magnetic field, her healing capabilities – they all fall under Taurus in a way for me, though Her gifts are to all the signs/animals/people. If Taureans or 2nd House people connect with this and draw their strength from Gaia direct, imagine how powerful they can be? It reminds me of that Handel piece: “Where-e’er you walk, cool gales shall fan the glade, Trees, where you sit, shall crowd into a shade, Where-e’er you tread, the blushing flow’rs shall rise, And all things flourish where… Read more »

Kyra
Kyra
August 6, 2011 6:50 am

I’m also a Taurus (with sun opposing Uranus) and I went through this phase (from approx 2003-2007), but I got over it, except that I’m still “green” in general, but not to such a self-denying extreme. I really love hot running water (baths) and comfort and indulgence.

earth angel
earth angel
August 6, 2011 6:47 am

p.s. A single, childless person leaves less of a footprint. Duh. He doesn’t need to show that he can raise children this way; it’s clearly not the point he wants to make.

And if raising biological offspring is such the holy grail, why are you so fricking ANGRY???? Live and let live. Geesh.

Domestic Triffid
Domestic Triffid
August 6, 2011 9:52 am
Reply to  earth angel

And why are YOU so frickin angry about me being angry ?

If you had been paying attention, you would have seen my post about being angry ‘cos I can’t *knit*. Sheesh. This has nothing to do with your *choice* to be childless 🙂

Handbag Aries
Handbag Aries
August 6, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes, DT, I think that needed saying cos I was also a little perplexed by earthangel’s energy there!

And ain’t no kids here at my place! But I did not read Domestic Triffid’s comment as anti-childless people. I just thought it was highlighting a valid point. Kids definitely make it impossible to only do your own thing.

But having children is a lot of peoples’ joy 🙂 Even when they’re being noisy little sh*ts 🙂 Just like I was when I was a kid.

And I am more than my carbon footprint; childless, or preggers, or whatevers.

andromeda
andromeda
August 6, 2011 3:51 pm
Reply to  Handbag Aries

Much as a parent is totally devoted to their little carbuncles, it is mind bendingly exhausting work doing so, be it a choice or not – and once they are there, it really makes no difference if it was a ‘choice’. When I see a parent underline that struggle, I just go, ‘yep’, because it is valid real thing for millions of women dealing with that!

And I like that Handbag Aries, “I am more than my carbon footprint!!”.

earth angel
earth angel
August 6, 2011 6:44 am

Why is Domestic Triffid practically livid about the fact that this man is giving an example of a single, childless person living “off the grid?” What does the fact that his lifestyle would be harder to maintain with children have to do with anything? His example is just that: his. Why do people who *choose* to have multiple children and then find out what a huge, never-ending responsibility it is so often feel the need to lash out at others who have *chosen* not to breed? His choice does not negate your own. (???)

SaturnRuled
SaturnRuled
August 6, 2011 12:04 pm
Reply to  earth angel

good point earth angel! My sister is always whinging about how tough it is raining 3 children and I think she resents my freedom/single life. I totally baffles me because she has ALWAYS to get married and have lots of kids. It was her CHOICE! And they are 3 gorgeous and healthy kids too. The way I see it, all her dreams have come true but she’s still complaining. So annoying!

SaturnRuled
SaturnRuled
August 6, 2011 12:06 pm
Reply to  SaturnRuled

That’s *raising* not raining kids. 😆 maybe another one is on the way?

Handbag Aries
Handbag Aries
August 6, 2011 1:08 pm
Reply to  earth angel

I don’t read DT’s comment as lashing out at all. And from what they have written in response to your comment, maybe it could be good to re-read things and just see if the comments could be now seen in a different light.

I’m only responding because you have asked why they are “practically livid” and I honestly don’t see that vibe in their post.

Charley
Charley
August 6, 2011 6:02 am

No thanks. I’ve lived in all kinds of crazy situations boats etc with no running water, no TV, no electricity. I’m a mega hippy and live in the countryside in a house that’s pretty rustic to say the least (but it’s not mine) and do all kinds of hippy stuff but as lux as poss. Too Libran to properly down and out it, I like to be warm and smell nice.

Charley
Charley
August 6, 2011 6:03 am
Reply to  Charley

Also, never been to planet Taurus, I think it’s unlikely I will.

leogroover
leogroover
August 6, 2011 5:15 am

In my former life as a full time mum I did the whole hippy cloth pads resuse water trip. They were lovely and soft and practical if you don’t go anywhere but no good for out and about. Now as an urban babe with teenage babies I stull recycle everything I can and bike everywhere. I’m a urban hippy now. I had jungle bunny friends in nthn nsw like this guy and alhto they were very “green” they complained a lot about no money.

year of the fox
year of the fox
August 6, 2011 1:35 am

Seems like a Taurus to me. Stingy and wants you to do weird crap to save money like stuff your vajayjay with moss. no thanks. At least he seems legit and walks the talk.

year of the fox
year of the fox
August 6, 2011 1:38 am

err can’t delete. The moss thing was about the Aquarius, but still the same hippie garbage that I just can’t abide by.

Upbeat Scorp
Upbeat Scorp
August 5, 2011 10:43 pm

Preaching a local moneyless ideal (suggested size: walking distance) via a global medium like the internet. Does he pay his ISP in fish?

earth angel
earth angel
August 6, 2011 6:58 am
Reply to  Upbeat Scorp

LOL, good one.

andromeda
andromeda
August 5, 2011 9:56 pm

Poor man’s Gerald Butler.

Charley
Charley
August 6, 2011 5:57 am
Reply to  andromeda

LOL!

leogroover
leogroover
August 5, 2011 8:55 pm

eeeeewww

Gypsyromeo
Gypsyromeo
August 5, 2011 8:15 pm

Seems like a wanker. No patience for so-called ‘greenies’ up trees to save them from logging wearing wool jumpers & eating mcdonalds. I am toro sun as well & if you want to eat low on the chain & save trees, be vegan. Countries with the highest starvation rates are exporting edible grain to feed western cattle to pay their debts while the west gets fatter & sicker by the minute. Go figure. The world can be saved but not by fuqwits like this one. He has a point but so totally misguided. There’s nothing wrong with toothpaste & eating… Read more »

selkie
selkie
August 5, 2011 8:09 pm

Oh dear,apologies MM, my irony meter was on the Fritz, you already linked the blog. So in summary: Phwoar.

Gypsyromeo
Gypsyromeo
August 5, 2011 8:07 pm

What a wanker. No patience for so-called ‘greenies’ up trees to save them from logging wearing wool jumpers & eating mcdonalds. I am toro sun as well & if you want to eat low on the chain & save trees, be vegan. Countries with the highest starvation rates are exporting edible grain to feed western cattle to pay their debts while the west gets fatter & sicker by the minute. Go figure. The world can be saved but not by fuqwits like this one. He has a point but so totally misguided. There’s nothing wrong with toothpaste & eating vegan… Read more »

numoon
numoon
August 5, 2011 8:16 pm
Reply to  Gypsyromeo

All those philosophy-based ‘diets’ are one size fits all.

selkie
selkie
August 5, 2011 7:50 pm

He is on the internet MM, he blogs at http://www.justfortheloveofit.org/blog, in case you want to question him further : ) I like some of his ideas, I don’t live them, but I am edging closer. Yeah even to the throwing of the menses water on the vege patch. Mind you, around here the veges are mostly eaten by the ‘roos and some feral hares, I’m lucky if I harvest 1/6 th.

Also–what prowlncrab said. Phwoar.

August 5, 2011 7:53 pm
Reply to  selkie

The water idea is not Mark Boyle’s, it is Mystic’s friends ex’s idea.

selkie
selkie
August 5, 2011 8:32 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

Yes, I got that, I meant I’m not opposed to the idea of localizing everything, including waste water disposal. That seems to be his main aim- increasing sustainability by making sure that the consequences of economic activity can’t be offloaded to some far away location where it becomes someone else’s problem, usually someone with far fewer resources. I’d agree with you that there is a lot of unexamined male privilege in the environmental movement, in that sense it is no different to any other form of politics. Don’t get me started on Assange for eg. It doesn’t mean that their… Read more »

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
August 5, 2011 11:16 pm
Reply to  selkie

i like the cut of your jib selkie!

August 6, 2011 12:13 am
Reply to  selkie

Your right Selkie, it’s more like a ‘protest’ than a lifestyle. His extremism brings attention to the problems.

earth angel
earth angel
August 6, 2011 6:55 am

Good point Davidl! I agree.

Domestic Triffid
Domestic Triffid
August 5, 2011 7:25 pm

Also: this person does not have children.

I am SO over the mystic in the cave telling the rest of us how to live when they have NO GRASP of domestic reality. I’ll pay attention to his funny little ways when he’s raised two or three kids “off the grid”.

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
August 5, 2011 11:11 pm

Domestic T, EXACTLY!!!

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
August 5, 2011 11:13 pm

Oops meant to continue. How much more different would the world look if the philosophers and cave-dwelling “I just need space to THINK” guru types had to protect and nurse three children or MORE day in day out for over a decade. my god, imagine. They could have all the wisdom they need after raising a batch of offspring…

Odette-in-Libra
Odette-in-Libra
August 6, 2011 3:43 am

Very good point. I would not want to raise children in that situation & would not have wanted to be raised that way when I was a child. (Although I did long for a rural life – but with amenities.)

On the other hand, I can’t take my eyes off his chest. That is a VERY nice chest. (A hormone surge can make all unlikely things suddenly seem do-able. LOL) Never been a Taurus girl before, but perhaps I should re-think. I’m feisty enough to tell him where to go if he starts messing with my feminine products. 😉

plutonic gem
plutonic gem
August 5, 2011 7:13 pm

fahhhrk another taurus mm… what are you doing to us!… i dont know about the fish bones on the teeth thing, i think a neem branch would do…. I think moss would be okay if you didnt have to go to the city, or catch a bus, if you could sit by a stream all day and weave or salt fish or something… but then you wouldnt really need moss… just let it run! sit in the red tent and be served by the community, no problems. Would be amazing to reuse menstrual blood, on the garden! or the orchard!… Read more »

August 5, 2011 7:21 pm
Reply to  plutonic gem

It’s called dumpster diving.

August 6, 2011 12:08 am
Reply to  plutonic gem

in Australia it is basically illegal to give away goods once their safe date is past, even as charity. It’s an interesting legal and ethical law. Coles I’m sure don’t like throwing food away and would be happy to give it away, but it’s illegal.
My point was that having some money, a little, is more realistic and workable for a larger group that eating from dumpsters. If he’s spreading a message of environmental responsibility, that’s great, but why so extreme ?

K-Gem
K-Gem
August 6, 2011 7:23 pm

So: given much of this food is probably still okay – and i’m not sure how many cream cakes/scones charity needs – maybe changes to food laws are the answer? Changes to stock levels so that we reduce amount of wasted food? i know of ‘friends of friends’ who dumpster-dive. Can all afford food, are not poor, just tight and trying to live alternative even though they live in apartments their parents bought them, and I’m not sure how their ‘freegan’ lifestyle is changing anything. Also MossMan described by Mystic sounds like a true b-tard. What would you say to… Read more »

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
August 5, 2011 6:42 pm

Final thought is that yes Mystic, that moss would be far to itchy. I mean crikes, you’d “crunch” as you walk. Who would need a Brazilian with that?

August 5, 2011 7:11 pm
Reply to  Sweetpea

ANY man who dares tell a woman how to manage female physical issues, unless a gynaecologist, is a MYSOGYNIST FROM HELL. Perhaps he needs to be made to bleed/bloat/have hormone injections on a regular basis (thinking 3-weekly to suffer with our more burdened sisters) while continuing his everyday life…possibly also in heels, and with requisite body hair removal for eternal smoothness (this does not equal shaving). His skin shall be examined by a young fair lad for the 777 signs of aging, and he shall be sympathetically told what products and routine he needs and he shall submit to all… Read more »

August 5, 2011 7:12 pm
Reply to  milleunanotte

He shall also be fitted for a bra.

Odette-in-Libra
Odette-in-Libra
August 6, 2011 3:37 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

A push-up bra.

InchbyInch
InchbyInch
August 6, 2011 1:22 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

And must wear hosiery.

Anonymous
Anonymous
August 7, 2011 10:19 am
Reply to  milleunanotte

While earning less money for doing the same job. STILL in 2011.

Domestic Triffid
Domestic Triffid
August 5, 2011 7:24 pm
Reply to  Sweetpea

What’s wrong with a bloody moon cup ?* Why moss ? Only a bloke would come up with something so stupid. My moon cup is called a Selene. Sooo appropriate…

* pun intended 🙂

numoon
numoon
August 5, 2011 8:07 pm

Exactly, disgraceful. Even sea sponges would be decent if you really wanted to go super-stingy-survivalist, I remember hearing a woman doing one of those live-money-free homesteader-challenge things talk about her bucket of water next to the loo filled with sea sponge she had collected, I would have to add a decent amount of hydrogen peroxide before I would risk those pathogens however.

whatevs
whatevs
August 5, 2011 8:57 pm
Reply to  Sweetpea

i think it must have been sphagnum moss – it’s very soft – like velvet – and very absorbent and there was a range of sanitary products made with it in the 90s that were awesome. the moss was underrated.

August 5, 2011 5:37 pm

I did a similar stint for quite a few years in the 90’s. The big difference was that I had saved a bit of money, so lived on about $50 a week for those years. I lived in a converted cow bale on a share property in northern nsw. There were quite a few of us in the area living this way. Everything was bartered or shared so there was no need to be stupid about it, I mean really, eating out of garbage bins.?.totally ridiculous, you just barter food for work or whatever. I understand the sentiment but is… Read more »

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
August 5, 2011 6:13 pm

lol….Live in the desert…ain’t got no fish bones altho sand a good exfoliation?

Had new (young, engaged….my kids age) Toro patient yesterday. Wow, so chatty for Toro. No deets tho for rising, Moon, etc. I never enquire but with a few.

Buckle (Aries, Pisces Asc, Gem moon)
Buckle (Aries, Pisces Asc, Gem moon)
August 6, 2011 6:49 am

Although I saw the documentary film ‘The Gleaners’ and loved the insights into how much of what is throw away IS safe to eat, I do tend to agree with you, davidl.

I think if a person plans on living this way for a while, surely they may want to ‘make’ something that gets swapped with others? Makes me wonder what he ‘does’, you know, to fill time and placate his soul.

And yes. Bi-carb. Yes. See? He needs to swap something for a $1 box of McKenzie’s that would probably last him 6 months!

plutonic gem
plutonic gem
August 6, 2011 8:28 am

Yes I tend to agree with you also. In the admiral quest of taking care of the earth, I think people need to take care of themselves, otherwise they won’t be able to do the work!

Lexicorn
Lexicorn
August 5, 2011 5:04 pm

Hmmm… I’m rethinking that Taurean bed quest of mine…
Ah, fish bone toothpaste?

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
August 5, 2011 6:28 pm
Reply to  Lexicorn

Well Lex, this guy here has a cup so he at least rinses? 🙂

Anonymous
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 4:56 pm

All the toros I know are very materialistic but generous.
As for caps my experience is they are stingy with their money and love!
Sorry nice caps but I haven’t met very nice ones. Hope I do.

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
August 5, 2011 6:22 pm
Reply to  Anonymous

Aw, Cappy just usually likes to be drawn out a bit…at least my Moon requires that romance wise.

Still, ex Cappo Moon, Sagg condo mate had a ruthless mo-fo side….Must have been the Mars square Pluto aspect. Scary, cold, ruthless mutha

I need to go to bed now… 😆

Little Joey
Little Joey
August 5, 2011 4:38 pm

I know several Tauros who do the greenie/ materialist thing….. they are interesting. Some practice what they preach. Others just tell you how you should be living and don’t seem keen on doing so themselves – Bono comes to mind. I used to admire him, but now think he’s a bit of a hypocrite…. (Cappy Kate Middleton is certainly rocking the frugal Pluto in Cap thing – which I kind of like about her) I don’t know if any of the above is making sense – I have awful, awful sinus and am heavily medicated so I think I could… Read more »

FireyBovine
FireyBovine
August 5, 2011 4:34 pm

LOL – this guy is my astro identical twin – we must have same birth day and year – or close, neptune trines my mars/venus/merc …

and yep, my greenness is infamous, i have the lowest income of my peers by far and yet seem to get by, but also probably have the most expensive handbag (a non-ostentatious label-y one) amongst them as well … bless our contradictory selves … ahem. MY contradictory self.

The Leo Socialite
The Leo Socialite
August 5, 2011 4:32 pm

Give me the address of his hovel! I would be very happy to be taken under a firm taurus hand and weaned off Clarins body products. Does anyone know a designer who does decent hemp-recycled tent type mini frocks?

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
August 5, 2011 11:08 pm

I reckon I could pull something together for you tLS.

prowlncrab
prowlncrab
August 5, 2011 4:24 pm

All the Taurean men I have met are part materialist, part greenie, part stinge. They are an odd lot and lately I have noted have become even more obstreperous and pigheaded than usual. I might deliver some papyrus scopes to the Moneyless Man if he had a distillery?

Gemma
Gemma
August 5, 2011 4:20 pm

He has such a Taurean body.

prowlncrab
prowlncrab
August 5, 2011 4:21 pm
Reply to  Gemma

doesn’t he? cwooar.

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
August 5, 2011 6:36 pm
Reply to  Gemma

I don’t know. Must be the clothes on the line and tin cup. My first impression was Grapes of Wrath hill billy style. Not that I’m against camping if he’s cute..

andromeda