Elementally Water – The Astrology Of Frida Kahlo

The Astrology Of Frida Kahlo

The Astrology Of Frida Kahlo is that she was elementally SO Water. She had the Sun, Jupiter, Neptune, and the North Node all in Cancer, in the Soul Sector. Now that’s a Stellium.

Her early life seclusion was enforced via illness, but the solitude compelled her to develop an inner life, that later informed her art.

The Sun Conjunct Neptune is particularly potent by being placed in the 12th House – aka the Soul Sector – which is naturally Neptune-affiliated. Below, the Sun-Neptune delineation from my Astral DNA birth chart report.

Sun Conjunction Neptune

They’re an Outer Planet person for reals. When the Sun is aligned with Neptune, the person’s self-actualization and identify is inevitably aligned with a broader consciousness. It’s the Auto-Shamanic position. Susan Sarandon has this. So did Carrie Fisher. They’re higher powered or just high all the time. They need to beware coarse substances, people and places. E.g., drugs, Qi Vampires who want some of the Sun-Neptune glamor and spiritual connection without having to do the work. They can freak out in synthetic environments such as malls. Having the Sun conjunct Neptune makes people magic. Ada Lovelace, the “Enchantress of Numbers” who helped invent the first computer, was Sun-Neptune.

But they need to be mindful of their personal energies. Caroline Knapp – author of the groundbreaking sobriety memoir Drinking – A Love Story – was Sun-Neptune. Sometimes their urge to escape the Saturnine bounds of reality becomes so strong that they either succumb or turn their struggle into awe-inspiring art and guidance for others. Marie Kondo, the decluttering maven, is Sun-Neptune. Instilling order and embracing minimalism is an elegant way of channeling the Neptune energy. But unless there are strong influences from other astral energies, these people are better at reading auras than they are Profit and Loss statements.  Frida Kahlo was also Sun-Neptune: “don’t mind me, I come from another planet. I see horizons where you see borders.”

“I Was Born In Rain, And I Will Die In Rain…”

She had Saturn in Pisces in synergy to her Cancerian North Node, reinforcing her primary path of Art & Soul. And, of course, more Water. Her Venus-Pluto/Leo Rising flamboyant looks and love life garnered attention, but the astrology of Frida Kahlo is predominantly defined by her being elementally SO Water.

“I was born in rain and I will die in rain…They will say I smoked cigarettes and marijuana, cursed hoarse as a crow in all my languages, and loved morphine and Demerol and tequila and pulque, women and men. I will shrug my illusion of shoulders and answer that I am a water woman, not a vessel, not something you can sail or charter. So I am instead the tributary, the river, the fluid source, and the sea itself. I am all her rainy implications. And what do you, with your rusted compass, know of love?”

Kate Braverman – The Incantation Of Frida K

Image: Frida Kahlo – What The Water Gave Me

Scorporation, Inc.
Scorporation, Inc.
June 27, 2012 2:56 pm

She is my hero.

SourPatch
SourPatch
January 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Cooool. I have a Cancer Stellium, Loaded 12th house, and 8th house Virgo Moon and I’ve been recently thinking about how attached I am to liquid of any form. Metaphorical much, no? And my Inner life? Don’t even get me started…hahaha. So much better than my RL at the moment, that’s for sure.

And This is actually my favorite work of Frida’s too…thanks for posting. When I look at it knowing her exact astro, it makes so much ‘logical’ sense to me. hehe

ReikiHeart
ReikiHeart
January 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Frida was da bomb. There will never be another like her… Thanks for posting on her, Mystic; I have mad love and respect for her and her art/life.

Lucy the Leo
Lucy the Leo
January 27, 2011 8:44 am

Interesting. I am a Leo with Cancer moon and Venus. I am ALWAYS with men with strong Aqua and it is really quite suckful.

Ms.
Ms.
January 27, 2011 12:00 am

I love this painting. Never new a thing about her astro. Mega Cancerian. fascinating

leony
leony
January 26, 2011 5:52 pm

LOve her & her artwork – she was part indigenous, & must have been proud of it as she wore tradition native clothing a lot, & was politically involved promoting indigenous rights. The monobrow & mo – that was her spanish blood showing. Spanish/Mexican women of that time proudly displayed their hairiness as proof of being non-native, but it doesn’t seem she was ashamed of it. I didn’t know she had polio, but she was also terribly injured in a bus accident, which left her with multiple injuries & lifelong pain – what a 12th house dominated life – &… Read more »

fallen angel
fallen angel
January 26, 2011 5:37 pm

sorry typing too fast, meant accidently cut yourself..

January 27, 2011 12:20 pm
Reply to  fallen angel

For a second there, I thought you meant you were typing so fast you accidentally cut yourself (like on a key)! It was a poetic image in my head anyway??

fallen angel
fallen angel
January 27, 2011 6:54 pm
Reply to  andromeda

Actually Andie..that would make a great painting, poetic indeed. A keyboard made of blade.

fallen angel
fallen angel
January 26, 2011 5:36 pm

I used to hate Frida as a child, not that I even knew anything about her then.. it was just the monobrow, the 12th house art, it was all too disturbing YET I was always riveted. The colors always drew in and despite my fear, there was always a part of me that wanted to experience being INSIDE her painting, exploring what recoiled me. Later on, I realized that even though her art portrayed so much of the travails she suffered in life, there was always something inherently warm about it – to me. The same way you accidentally yourself… Read more »

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
January 26, 2011 6:30 pm
Reply to  fallen angel

Touching FA….x

Don’t love the uni-brow but good on her for wearing it so. Cappy Moon/Gemmy thinks of the practicality of it all in sense….a built in sun visor? The 12th house is the house of “drawn shades” (shame on me…)

January 26, 2011 6:44 pm
Reply to  fallen angel

Yes FA, I remember feeling challenged by her uncivil, raw femininity as a girl also! She was seemed such an inharmonious blend of qualities then that I know & accept as deeply, ‘warmly’ (and painfully) human. And womanly.

January 26, 2011 10:47 pm
Reply to  andromeda

delete ‘was’, insert ‘now’ at the end… bleurghh. 😉

hermes love
hermes love
January 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Mystic I visited her house in Mexico City which is a Museum . The Energy in her House Is Pain and Sorrow. I have a black and white photo of her showing her rings that sits in my studio . She embodied the Feminine principle that was repressed and abused by the Masculine Collective at that time in the Mexican and Latin Cultures . And Still is in some parts. I relate to her courage and how she channeled her Art to shed Light , in the mist of her most dark and painful moments. I know women in my… Read more »

MsNoir
MsNoir
January 26, 2011 5:31 pm
Reply to  hermes love

Yes! A fierce soul, a beautiful woman who fought tirelessly with multiple demons… “Que Viva Frida”

MsNoir
MsNoir
January 26, 2011 7:07 am

I love the title of the post, Mystic… “What the water gave her”… So perfect.

January 26, 2011 1:04 pm
Reply to  MsNoir

It’s a totally elegant segway from the art to the astro isn’t it! Yes, good one MM.

MsNoir
MsNoir
January 26, 2011 5:33 pm
Reply to  andromeda

And, for synchronicity purposes, I got this in my mailbox today…

January 26, 2011 6:42 pm
Reply to  MsNoir

Ah lovely! I created a water meditation for a friend who was stationed in the desert in Afghanistan once.. It was soothing just writing it down! Lovely. What sign a you MsNoir? I am mainly water, tho a Leo.

MsNoir
MsNoir
January 27, 2011 4:08 am
Reply to  andromeda

I’m actually a Leo too, also Leo Moon and Mercury… BUT with a lot of Virgo, for good measure! 😉

MsNoir
MsNoir
January 27, 2011 4:12 am
Reply to  MsNoir

P.S. Very little water in my chart, actually… Just the generational Saturn in Pisces and Neptune in Scorpio… But I do tend to attract men who are water dominated. All the time.

January 27, 2011 9:49 am
Reply to  MsNoir

I suppose we are meant to attract our opposite? Actually my (Gem) hub has no earth and myself just one Mars in Virgo… I love Leos, been out with mostly Leos in the past. A Leo Moon and Merc must make you very va va voom, cherie!!

Ali B Aqua
Ali B Aqua
January 26, 2011 4:13 am

I see plenty in the bath tub, but rather than a mini world in the water, mine is the massive expanse beyond the bathroom and I am the bird in the tree. Then I obsess over my feet!

year of the fox
year of the fox
January 26, 2011 3:03 am

Frieda was so ahead of her time. Truly a Queen Crab!

prowlncat
prowlncat
January 26, 2011 1:14 am

Love her.
Love her work.
Love her fiestiness.
Love her hair.
Love her monobrow.
Love her headresses.
Love her clothes.
Love the colour of her clothes.
Love her amputated hand earrings.

Actually I just want to be her … well sans the polio and the spinal deterioration. And I’d probably end up waxing the monobrow coz I don’t think I could actually live with one … nor could I live with Diego Rivera for that matter. Although I don’t think even she managed to hack Diego. He was an Uber Sagg.

Mari
Mari
January 26, 2011 9:55 am
Reply to  prowlncat

I LOVE Frida as well. She speak to and, frankly, for me in so many profound ways.

As for the tub:

I NEVER shower unless I have no choice, despite my Libra Moon (which served to convinced my Mega Libra Hubby to bathe as well).

The tub is for cleansing, reading (magazines and poetry primarily), and having a good cry.

Steph
Steph
January 26, 2011 12:19 am

Love her.
That is all.

doublekataka
doublekataka
January 25, 2011 10:53 pm

I’ve always been lost in reverie in the bathtub, and entranced by the reflections of my toes. So when I first saw this painting, it riveted me.

twinfishrising
twinfishrising
January 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks, yet again, Mystic, for shedding cosmic light on another extraordinary human. Lucky she had that Leo rising to get her out and through and above it all with such grace and abundance. She was prolific and I bet there are works she gave to people that have not yet been revealed to the public. I’ve only 2 artwork possessions, one is a photographic portrait of Freda. My kataka venus and Mars must be attracted to her strong inner resolve. She symbolises for me the motherhood of creative works, rather than the motherhood of children. Sad about her lovelife heartaches.… Read more »

twinfishrising
twinfishrising
January 25, 2011 10:17 pm
Reply to  twinfishrising

Sorry, she’s not letting me spell her name without games…..Frida, not Friday. 🙂

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
January 26, 2011 4:05 am
Reply to  twinfishrising

~My fave Friday quote ” I drink to drown my fucking sorrows, but the sons of bitches have learnt to swim”~

Thanks for the quote twinfish. Clever of her.

Saturnrox
Saturnrox
January 26, 2011 6:42 am
Reply to  Sweetpea

true, that. Joni Mitchell also painted while young and bedridden with polio.
Both wonderful inspiring artists.

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
January 26, 2011 7:13 am
Reply to  Saturnrox

Didn’t know that about our Joni babe.

Thinkin’ maybe Bono copy catted Frida a bit with some of his lyrics or maybe he’s just seen the swim?

~In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim~

from Until the End of the World~

Bluesky
Bluesky
January 26, 2011 10:14 am
Reply to  Sweetpea

Love her. Didn’t know this polio detail. Gives new meaning to “a river to skate away on”. My favorite. But I was bedridden as child too. Interesting.

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
January 27, 2011 5:16 am
Reply to  Bluesky

Love that one too…

Oh darling what was going on? Care to share?

Saturnrox
Saturnrox
January 27, 2011 6:36 am
Reply to  Saturnrox

Neil Young is another fabulous artist who also had polio and was bedridden while very young. He is quoted as saying it messed up his left side. Three wonderful examples of very talented artists able to channel great pain into beautiful art. Sorry to hear of your troubles Bluesky.
Hope you have been able to overcome them as well. x

January 26, 2011 6:39 pm
Reply to  twinfishrising

That quote is just brilliant!

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
January 25, 2011 10:09 pm

I love bubble bath dreaming. I know very little about Frida Kahlo other than what the movie told me. But the post (and many others) does make me wonder what it would be like to have a mega stellium in my chart. I don’t know if Venus, MC and a few asteroids and progressed planets in Aries counts? To me it’s not quite the same as venus-pluto-uranus in the 8th (thanks mystic 😉 ) or a 5-planet scorp stellium (my latest Scorp crush) or a loaded dreamy artiste Cancerian 12th house, for example, thank you Frida K. What’s that like,… Read more »

twinfishrising
twinfishrising
January 25, 2011 10:42 pm

UP, you can’t officially try out other people but the wonderful thing about astrology on an interpersonal level is that for it to be of any benefit at all you have to drop your predetermined assumptions and just observe whilst simultaneously tuning in to patterns and themes. I find it helps develop empathy and imagination. Just a thought. BTW I have moon, sun, Saturn and mercury in gemini and I would describe that lense as a mental kaleidoscope.

Venus and MC in Aries is quite a punch!
🙂

Bluesky
Bluesky
January 26, 2011 10:11 am
Reply to  twinfishrising

Ooooo! Mental kaleidoscope. Like that description

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
January 27, 2011 12:10 am
Reply to  twinfishrising

have to say my mum has about 5 planets in Gemini, i am sure she has about 3 jobs just to stay above her boredom threshold!

Fi
Fi
January 26, 2011 1:24 am

Frida one of my top 5 female heroes. There’s a doco or two around that i’ve seen that are so much better than the movie, as they have a lot of real footage and heaps and heaps of her work in them. How does loaded 12th feel? Intense. (Venus-neptune-lilith all conjunct; and eros exact conjunct psyche; all in 12th house scorp near asc). That’s not sun/jupe/nept/nn, but even then it is intense. Suffering (self-undoing or destiny/karma from another life?). Seclusion or confinement (forced and/or chosen). Vivid imagination and intuition. Difficulty in not absorbing/being affected by undercurrents and emotions around us.… Read more »

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
January 27, 2011 12:14 am
Reply to  Fi

Wow, Fi, that sounds intense. How have you handled that over the years? has this astro setup helped you in certain ways? x

Fi
Fi
January 27, 2011 1:04 am

Ummm…well, I guess I have to say that balance of positive (creativity; being able to give a great deal of empathy) and negative (suffering) is equal, or someone will jump on me for not loving my chart enough….x

January 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Frida is wonderfully inspiring. Just so divinely herself! Thanks for posting something on her MM, really fascinating. I love her bath being full of dreams.. Oddly enough I just looked at two friend’s kid’s charts (born 6 years apart) and both are stellium Kataka’s with a fully loaded 12th house – one with Leo Rising. Does anyone think it’s weird to HAVE to know my sister’s birth time to the point of paying $30 for it from the hospital of her birth? She hates astrology, so if I find out she’ll just be irritated on top of that! Is it… Read more »

January 25, 2011 10:08 pm
Reply to  andromeda

Oops, just wiki’d her and apparently she insisted, “I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality.”

bluelibra
bluelibra
January 26, 2011 10:43 am
Reply to  andromeda

Kataka and Pisceans generally do not differentiate between dreams and reality – they are one & the same. (Correct me if I’m wrong MM.) That’s certainly the case with those I know.

twinfishrising
twinfishrising
January 26, 2011 11:05 am
Reply to  bluelibra

🙂

January 26, 2011 12:55 pm
Reply to  bluelibra

That’s so true blue.

fallen angel
fallen angel
January 26, 2011 5:09 pm
Reply to  bluelibra

You are not wrong at all.. as dreams are extensions of our reality, and reality the children of our dreams.

anymouse
anymouse
January 26, 2011 12:04 am
Reply to  andromeda

nah, i don’t think it’s weird to go to all that effort to get sister’s birth time. You obviously want to understand her better.

My sister hates astrology as well. I paid for her to see my astrologist about 20 years ago and she told me off after the reading! Clearly she didn’t like hearing about herself. I remember thinking it was weird at the time and why anyone would be pissed off to get a free astrology reading. *shrugs* oh well.

shell
shell
January 26, 2011 12:10 am
Reply to  andromeda

I think it probably depends what you do with it. Astro stalking people sometimes weirds me out if I feel like I might be using it to make presumptions about them. If that makes sense? Fine line between understanding and presuming.
Good and not evil and all that.

January 26, 2011 1:01 pm
Reply to  shell

Yes, I do know what you mean shell! I think she will be irritated if it seems to her I feel I know something about her she doesn’t – whether or not she believes is not the point it’s just condescending. I might wait until a good time and ask her permission properly, thanks. anymouse, I did the same with AquaSis, except it was a clairvoyant. Her Uranian ‘fuq you-ness’ came up strong and the clairvoyant had lots of signs not to give her a reading. She avoided telling her anything meaningful which just turned her against this kind of… Read more »

Madam M
Madam M
January 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Wow, Amazing synchronicity, one of my girlfriends loaned me the DVD Frida recently- just watched it yesterday!I love that Jungian dreamlike quality to her paintings. Most of the subject matter was born out of the pain – physical and emotional in Frida’s life.

Interesting symbolism with the reflections of the toes, dead bird atop the small tree, and parental figures gazing downward at the lovers.

I too, have way too much Virgo, to waft off to bathing dreams like this.