Astro-Tamara Mellon

Tamara Mellon eating junk food

This is the Cancerian Shoe Mogul, Tamara Mellon, at home in London, photographed for Harpers Bazaar.

Cancerians are the canniest sign of all, you know.  They regularly bulk out the lists of self-made super-successful peeps.  It’s partly their renowned intuitive powers, think also their drive for security via independence. Yes, you could argue (and some do) that Ms Mellon had a head start, but she has still done brilliantly with Jimmy Choo.

“Everything I do is just really my intuition, and every time I go against my intuition, it’s a mistake. Even though I may sit down and analyze and intellectualize something on paper, if I go against my gut feeling, it’s wrong.”

She does really eat Maccas & she smokes cigarettes, her only vice after a stint in rehab, hellish divorce, some severe family dysfunction and biz fracas.

She’s got a steely Saturn-Lilith in Aries conjunction that is about to be activated by Uranus so she could do something mega-fab with that. Her Sun is conjunct Mercury, with a square from Mars in Libra to ensure perpetual motivation.

The snake pix (by Guido Mocafico) make her look Scorpy and although she looks like she could easily have it rising, it also makes me remember that Cancer/Kataka is a sign redolent of the Great Goddess, Mother Earth, snakes, ancient priestess energy and the feminine divine. There is a certain amount of ‘up yours’ in having such blatant serpenty symbolism hung in such a way and six is – of course – the number of the goddess.

Three sixes = Triple Goddess, hence the bibical ravings.

Image: Douglas Friedman

Sabrina
Sabrina
August 18, 2010 8:38 am

Love. I’m a Cancerian and this is just gorgeous (and I’m completely unsurprised; she’s an absolute House of Fierce so of course her environment is reflective of it). I’ve actually always wanted to own a snake, so I’m biased. And whenever I do a spread using my Animals Divine tarot, the Snake almost always comes up. M’s got it, as always; primordial Cancerian hoo-ha.

BlackStarAries
BlackStarAries
August 17, 2010 7:11 am

I totally got chills when I read that “triple Goddess” Seriously.
It’s been a question I’ve had for ages….What is the deal with 666?
Goose pimples all over.
Wowie.

applepieskies
applepieskies
August 17, 2010 2:03 am

UNF. I want to marry this room. Though there’s a need for a different wall colour, not at all a fan of brown. Perhaps a deep purple, changing the lampshades to match. Though that may require a new set of Guido’s snakes, but they stay in one form or another. They must. They’re gorgeous.

sagitta
sagitta
August 17, 2010 1:21 am

It does look like a set–but a very beautiful set. The brown walls and carpet give it a lot of warmth.

As for the snakes– nice! Very powerful. Snakes are dangerous, so I am not surprised people find them off-putting. But this is an art piece, after all. Why can’t people see their beauty in it?

applepieskies
applepieskies
August 17, 2010 3:56 am
Reply to  sagitta

It’s been my experience, and I won’t presume to say it applies to everyone, but the women in my own personal life who had a fear of snakes, it wasn’t just an actual snake but even images would make them shudder. The only matching coincidence between them all, the snake being the consort of the goddess, was they all had a bad relationship to their own feminine, particularly when it came to power. They were either tyrannical or mute, but they were all horrified of snakes. I think fear of snakes isn’t like say, a fear of sharks. It’s something… Read more »

Andromeda
Andromeda
August 17, 2010 11:44 am
Reply to  applepieskies

I like snakes! My ex, his bro and I adopted a huge wild python that a cowboy had found and partly crushed the skull of… Anyway, we looked after it till it was better.
Then it escaped one morning after it was drunkenly left tangled round a post in the open-air bar after a dance party.

I would catch it on my own and it would curl up my arm and neck then try to strangle me. I found that rather wonderful, but learned it was better to take it out with others around. We named her Lisboa. 🙂

applepieskies
applepieskies
August 17, 2010 11:51 am
Reply to  Andromeda

A lovely name, some words feel great on the tongue. Named after the Portuguese capital, no? (Which actually has a quiet snake vibe running through it, or at least that’s what I felt.)

Andromeda
Andromeda
August 17, 2010 11:45 am
Reply to  applepieskies

Interesting theory though! I think a lot of women have had less than satisfactory feminine influences in their lives which makes loving yourself that much harder…

applepieskies
applepieskies
August 17, 2010 11:55 am
Reply to  Andromeda

Indeed. It’s such a shame that so many women respond to another woman’s presence by tearing her apart. That feeling of “too many stars, not enough sky.” Absolutely devastating and detrimental.

iScorpbot
iScorpbot
August 17, 2010 12:54 am

the snake photos are by a famous photographer – Guido Mocafico. He’s done heaps of work for international magazines and published a book of his snake photos.
I came across his work a few years ago and was blown away and wished that i had thought of the idea. His still life photos are truly a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

I’m not surprised a self-made business woman in the fashion industry would have his work on her wall. He’s shot ad campaigns for Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent and Hermès.

More snakes pics if anyone’s interested:

Uranian&Plutonic Virgo
Uranian&Plutonic Virgo
August 17, 2010 3:08 am
Reply to  iScorpbot

Ooooh thanks! I quite adore snakes. Biased, since I’m a fire snake, but I love their beauty. That they’re still misunderstood as a species, and how important they are as part of an ecosystem they’re in, that adds more to my liking.
Stunning pics! Would be awesome if there were a behind-the-scenes dvd of this particular shoot.

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
August 17, 2010 10:22 am

oooh, behind-the-scenes dvd would be awesome! I was wondering where he got all those snakes from – so many wonderful patterns and colours!

Andromeda
Andromeda
August 16, 2010 11:28 pm

Like the greens, with the white couch it’s so fresh. Think the leopard skin carpet is a bit OTT, looks like a shoe inspired design…

Even the snakes are making me think of shoes in this context. The pics are too confronting and dominating for me, beautiful though they are.

Also love that she acknowledges her intuition, though she is a obviously a smart business woman. Self-made people can do that. I think it can be harder to attribute intuition to your success when you work closely with others.

CanSagg
CanSagg
August 16, 2010 10:10 pm

It doesn’t look like a home, it looks like a set. I hate everything in it except the neat stacks of books and the purple flowers. I do love green, but her frock clashes. The snakes are unnerving and ugly. I appreciate that she is a very successful and driven Cancerian, and also agree that gut is good, but she is obviously highly intellectual also. But here she looks like an extra from Dynasty. I find the whole image repulsive.

aqualibraleo
aqualibraleo
August 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks Mystic, i went to the grocery the other day and total came to $6.66
Made me wonder about the symbology of that set of numbers but nothing came to mind. Have started getting into goddess energy lately so makes sense!

Ms.n't
Ms.n't
August 16, 2010 5:30 pm

shes eating mc donalds! food of katakas??

Sassy
Sassy
August 16, 2010 8:13 pm
Reply to  Ms.n't

lol, her type of comfort food.

Anville
Anville
August 16, 2010 5:04 pm

I love the snakes which definitely don’t strike one, first glance, as cancerian. But i think snakes are water, maybe primordial water. An cancer would definitely be the primordial water sign if one was forced to decide. I love the snakes. The rest of the background vibes a lot of other converging, seemingly-unrelated motifs, color-wise maybe. Maybe she had someone else design her place?

Aquabomb
Aquabomb
August 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Whoa…those snakes are mental. Seriously revolting. Omg….

crabby crab
crabby crab
August 16, 2010 11:36 am

Love that she is a fierce crab business power house!!

Fierce and feminine!!

The Leo Socialite
The Leo Socialite
August 16, 2010 11:09 am

She reminds me of Madonna – i don’t really like her product much but she seems like kind of a cool woman. Cancerian chicks are under-rated – they are the best girlfriends, very savvy in biz, hilarious mordant sense of humour and always original.

I ‘love the snakes but i am year of the snake – is fab artistic statement

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
August 16, 2010 11:07 am

I love the snakes. and the green ..

Pegasus
Pegasus
August 16, 2010 10:27 am

Green is a hard colour to wear.
The lounge would look better w/o the dimples.
The shoes of Jimmy Choo are a ridiculous cost.
And macca’s taste like cotton wool.

But love the snake collection!

postmodscorp
postmodscorp
August 16, 2010 9:37 am

I’d have hysterics in this lounge room. No way could I face those pictures, and no way could I sit with my back to them.

I love her reliance on her intuition… I to have regretted going against it, or analysing it away.

But really can’t handle those snakes…

Scorpophilia
Scorpophilia
August 16, 2010 11:00 am
Reply to  postmodscorp

me too…urghhh no way I could handle those snakes

August 16, 2010 11:12 am
Reply to  Scorpophilia

As well, can’t say I’d like to eat noodle dishes while gazing upon those pix!

Metaphysically, however, love what the snake stands for..Cappy Moon would rather know and live by that than need a pix on the wall..

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
August 16, 2010 11:21 am
Reply to  Sweetpea

ooh I agree SP. cap moon would rather just know and do, rather than crow about whatever and make a big show of being in a ‘group’? perhaps. unless v important symbolism?

August 16, 2010 11:38 am

Yes, agree. A little secret about us (Cappy Moon and otherwise Cappy influence), is that we won’t “crow” about the most important/profound things (no matter our hairbrained Sun or rising signs 🙂 )

Some things are kept sacred and secret as they are a part of our experience and thus beingness…

Art may imitate life, but life does not imitate art.

There is a difference…

August 16, 2010 12:36 pm

So hell, Tam-Tam, go ahead and eat your McDonald’s! Last Tuesday I picked up THREE cheeseburgers for me and the roommate Saggi…

.59 cents each on Tuesday…hehe

August 16, 2010 8:36 am

Back to the Goddess energy…My Chinese rising is the Snake so like her pix’x , Mystic.

August 16, 2010 8:25 am

Agree about Cancerians since married to one for 16 yrs., but aside from that, Cancerian Dr. I work with has five massage therapists…FIVE…I’ve never worked for one who had more than, well, just little ol moi…

It’s because the Cancerian Dr. knows how to target a market in which he’s done just that. He paid us handsomely to go out to different schools and give teachers a ten min. chair massage and then a free 50 min. certificate in order to hook them. They hadn’t known their insurance covered such services..

Now they know…

August 16, 2010 8:33 am
Reply to  Sweetpea

Two of my previous Chiro Doc’s were Aries. Okay, they had a few other peeps (therapists) at various times whilst me…but never 5…

I’ve always told Dr. R in every X-mas & birthday card “you’re the best!” Because he is… 😉