Virgo Zodiac Designer

vintage astrology bag

This vintage Enid Collins Aries bag is for sale on Etsy & I actually do not know if Arieans would like it.

The archetypal Aries is a bit scared of vintage anything & their ideal bag is more like a money belt or an actual servant who walks behind lugging the stuff.

I’m sure if people could have all their house keys and credit cards just microchipped so they wave an imperious arm when they want to buy something or open the door, they’d be fine with it.

But Enid Collins, i have just learned, was a cult bag designer of the 60s & 70s in America. She was a Virgo and the wife of a Texas rancher when she decided to start making handbags and they went totally ape. The Zodiac ones were particularly coveted and considered collectible by some peeps today.

This is the Leo one:

vintage astrology bagAnd Saggo…

vintage astrology bagThoughts?

Heather
Heather
July 25, 2010 6:42 pm

It baffles me how you all can just sit there and bash Enid. I’m an avid astrologer and you should all know you can’t generalize habits and tastes just by a couple of planetary positions. The whole chart does a different dance for everybody…two peeps can have the same planetary positions yet have different trends. It’s called personal preference. That’s where the freewill in freewill astrology comes from. Generalizing like you’re all doing is what keeps peeps narrow about the zodiac. And the whole point of her artwork is Artistic expression – you should all know that. How can you… Read more »

Eko
Eko
April 20, 2010 6:48 am

Okay.. who the hell uses a wooden box as a handbag??

I’m an Aries and I love vintage, but these “handbags” are completely trashy and hideous.

Tee
Tee
April 15, 2010 1:45 am

Sagittarius with Leo asc. here… I actually like the Aries one most of all. The Sag one makes me cringe. What’s up with the enormous flower? The Lion in the Leo one is kind of cute, haha.

Ariel Grimm
Ariel Grimm
April 10, 2010 4:35 pm

I’m an Aries w/ Aquarius rising and I love them!

Heather
Heather
July 28, 2010 4:22 am
Reply to  Ariel Grimm

I’m a taurus w/ aquarius rising & I love them too!

Erika
Erika
April 10, 2010 6:20 am

I LOVE Enid Collins pieces. I think they are great. I would use more as display boxes than a purse however.
BTW I am an Aries. I love vintage so it’s not quite on the mark.

Heather
Heather
July 28, 2010 4:22 am
Reply to  Erika

Yaaay! Someone who knows what the real deal is.

tatiana
tatiana
April 10, 2010 5:31 am

simply ugly. as a leo – and i can imagine, as ANY sign – i would, under no circumstances, carry one of those around.

Yitka
Yitka
April 10, 2010 4:37 am

Ha ha!! This is so true…an ideal bag for an archetypal Aries is a servant lugging the stuff behind them!! haha!!….For many years I’ve been wishing for a secretary under a Christmas tree!! ( As an Aries I hate to be lugging stuff, dealing with paperwork……and why anyway, there is so many people that can do it MUCH BETTER then me!!! :))

mlle ghoul
mlle ghoul
April 10, 2010 3:18 am

Well, not something I personally would carry…but I have to constantly remind myself that someone – a human person – actually created these things, and invested a part of themselves in them…and so I would definitely not want to trash the artist’s efforts in any way or hurt their feelings.
Yes, I know that’s a bit pollyanna prissypants, but I can’t help it!

Heather
Heather
July 28, 2010 4:21 am
Reply to  mlle ghoul

I like you’re mode of thinking….respect the artist and thier expression – even if you don’t care for what they create.

scorpiontailedtongue
scorpiontailedtongue
April 8, 2010 10:14 am

frightening, garnish, what sign would like this? If a drag queen wore it in Hairspray maybe.

nocturnal
nocturnal
April 8, 2010 7:04 am

they belong on regretsy not etsy

aqualala
aqualala
April 8, 2010 4:16 am

No. Just, no.

aquaquaqua
aquaquaqua
April 8, 2010 12:39 am

i really like these. i’ve been into her stuff for a while, i love how incongruous it all is, but weirdly balanced. shes cool.in my book. she was making these pre 60s, her cottage industry was taken over in the 70s so its not psychadelic junk i think its more of a distinct creative achievement. plus the texas thing, its a hoot.

Scraps
Scraps
April 7, 2010 11:52 pm

The leo one is very cute–never as a purse but I could totally see it in a jungle-themed nursery to hold various supplies, kept on a shelf.

tati scorpitini
tati scorpitini
April 7, 2010 10:52 pm

…. but that would be cruel as they would probably have been strapped into it by a sadistic Virgo bent on punishing them for buying the damn thing.

And no, an Aries can’t be used as firewood, they don’t actually burn as well as you might think.

Art nouveau is fab, really love it … but not wayward ’70s memorabilia like this.

watery libran
watery libran
April 7, 2010 7:02 pm

hideous – ALL the wrongs.
Imagine lugging it around all day, ‘twould give one a case of Saturn neck.

Colleen
Colleen
April 7, 2010 4:18 pm

I’m an Aries. I wouldn’t carry the bag but I would buy it, hang onto it for several years, and then sell it for a profit. Or I’d carry it once in a while just to see who I get compliments from.

April 7, 2010 5:12 pm
Reply to  Colleen

possibly my 6 year old 🙂

fluidfeline
fluidfeline
April 7, 2010 4:10 pm

These are just wrong. Who on earth would actually collect them.

postmodscorp
postmodscorp
April 7, 2010 3:49 pm

Why is one perched on a flowerpot? Thats just random.

Dislike these – not functional or beautiful.

tati scorpitini
tati scorpitini
April 7, 2010 10:49 pm
Reply to  postmodscorp

Aha another William Morris devotee 🙂

postmodscorp
postmodscorp
April 8, 2010 10:46 am

Lol – had to google him. But yeah, I like his concepts (and I also like that he was associated with the Pre-Raph’s….)

PonPon
PonPon
April 7, 2010 3:45 pm

Leo sun, moon & asc. Sagg
Yes, they are ugly. The crystals and paintings look so tacky and cheap. It would be okay as like, a cute picnic basket but not a purse.
I like small-ish cloth purses, and especially shoulder ones so my hands are free.

April 7, 2010 2:49 pm

My 6 year old boy would love the aries one, he loves small storage boxes, and of course a particular collection must have a stand out box. The jewels would work perfectly for the 3d Yugio cards and toys. He cracks me up, last night his usually bad attention span became entranced on a womens underpants ad, teenage girls poncing about with musical instruments, as he stared intently at the screen a smile appeared, he turned , looked me straight in the eye and says ” I love that ad, dad”.

FireTrine
FireTrine
April 7, 2010 2:57 pm

Waah! That’s brilliant!

tati scorpitini
tati scorpitini
April 7, 2010 3:05 pm
Reply to  FireTrine

😆 😆 😆

fallen angel
fallen angel
April 7, 2010 7:03 pm

The boy has an eye non?

It’s funny how instinctual kids are about what’s appealing..

April 7, 2010 9:27 pm
Reply to  fallen angel

he’s the horny one, my 10 year old isn’t slightly interested, this one has been on heat since he could walk. Thats my boy 😉

Heather
Heather
July 28, 2010 4:16 am

Sad that you speak of your ” horny boy ” this way. So sad. And I’m so glad…you’re not my dad!

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
April 7, 2010 7:12 pm

Chip off the old Aries block.

tati scorpitini
tati scorpitini
April 7, 2010 10:48 pm
Reply to  Ãœber Virgo

Is your 6-year-old an Aries? My Aries flatmate’s Aries son (4) is just the same – with a childlike delight about it all.

His father isn’t much different 😆 😆

April 9, 2010 10:03 am

he’s gemini with pisces asc scorp moon..

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
April 8, 2010 12:22 am

😆 oh how cute! I know the ad.

The Leo Socialite
The Leo Socialite
April 7, 2010 2:46 pm

These make me unbearably sad. Is that the Pluto thing?
These make me think of housewives of the 60s trying to be brave and “creative” or “zany” but it has just all come down to ghastly fake glass gemstone applique and probably gin. Valium. What’s that book about? The femininst one.
And they wear corsets and have hair spray. More gin.
What the fuq would you put in these bags anyway?

Mari
Mari
April 7, 2010 2:42 pm

I wouldn’t touch ’em. My Aries Ascendant and Mercury in Gemini requires a cross-body bag. I must have my hands and arms free at all times.

andrew
andrew
April 7, 2010 2:37 pm

i would keep essential oils in them. but that’s what poofdah natural perfumers do. ~*

prowlncat
prowlncat
April 7, 2010 2:17 pm

plywood … big fake 70s gemstones … naive (as in daggy) illustrations and typography. Are you sure this isn’t Delia’s great aunt or something Mystic? 😉

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
April 7, 2010 2:11 pm

the painting part is cute, the massive fake gemstones are SCARY!!! I would keep it at home as a make up case. I don’t do big, fat, clunky bags that would leave bruises on one’s legs…!!

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
April 7, 2010 2:12 pm

oh, right, vintage 60s-70s and of Texan origin..explains a lot…still.

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
April 7, 2010 5:03 pm

Yes, and remember there was a lot of LSD around then.

April 7, 2010 5:13 pm
Reply to  Ãœber Virgo

loud stoopid drongoes ?

fallen angel
fallen angel
April 7, 2010 7:01 pm
Reply to  Ãœber Virgo

Maybe she was transporting cocaine from across the border and needed something sufficiently off-putting so as to deter border patrol? I mean, if I was manning the borders I wouldn’t touch any of these.. unless it held a box of crayons or something like that.

Incidentally, I always thought Arieans love to travel light, so if there was a way they could actually velcro their possessions to their bodies so as not to lose speed as they go zooming about, they would do it.

samantha
samantha
April 7, 2010 1:45 pm

cancer in sun, moon and mercury and I don’t like them- even if they are vintage they are ugly….

MissLibraLibra
MissLibraLibra
April 7, 2010 2:24 pm
Reply to  samantha

i was just thinking that my cancerian mum would love the aries one!

but she wouldnt like the others – too cutesy.

AquaRam
AquaRam
April 7, 2010 1:35 pm

agree tampon box far more attractive

Meowmix
Meowmix
April 7, 2010 1:34 pm

maybe jennifer love hewitt could get one of these bags to use for vajazzling supply storage?

year of the fox
year of the fox
April 7, 2010 1:55 pm
Reply to  Meowmix

My sentiments exactly!

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
April 8, 2010 12:18 am
Reply to  Meowmix

😆

FireTrine
FireTrine
April 7, 2010 12:55 pm

They are all ugly, the Aries one especially so. Actually the cutesy paintings are alright it’s the jewels that are doing my head in. Yes, I think I might stand out less carrying a jumbo box of tampons Gala, too right.

Gala
Gala
April 7, 2010 12:48 pm

Kinda embarrassed to share a sign with her, to be honest. I would rather carry a jumbo-sized box of tampons AT ALL TIMES… ? :\ Blunt, I know. But true.

virgo cat
virgo cat
April 7, 2010 2:32 pm
Reply to  Gala

I too am embarrassed. Seriously? A Virgo? The designs are so frou frou and awkward. Yuck.