Astro-Decor: Padma Lakshmi & A Portrait Of YOU Above Your Bed?

Padma Lakshmi at home in her bedoom Harpers Bazaar Australian Fashion

I  have been like this since I was about nine and I doubt now that it’s ever going to change. I go bats for the Boho beauties & want to know all about them.

So I saw an article on the Padma Lakshmi Indian born M.T.A ex-wife of Salman Rushdie-turned cooking show hostess, jewellery designer and currently mother-to-be-only-she-refusing-to-name-the-father and i LOVED HER. The last thing I read about her was something by her ex-hubby (and yes i am anti-fatwa/pro Salman & freedom of speech etc) bitching about HER & I thought YICK…about him. But she’s now determined to have this baby on her own, design jewels, continue a tv career & employ women.

I have an automatic adoration of woman who are bold, beautiful and outrageously going-for-it no matter what. All that. She is a Virgo – Sun, Moon, Mercury and Pluto…Plenty smart.  Her Mars in Leo squares Saturn & sextiles Venus in Libra (early marriage to an older/established man ends in pain but it is socially advantageous, to go with an old-school interp-her Dad may not have been exactly supportive, putting it mildly.)

BUT with the portrait of herself above her bed…that is FULL ON… There was nothing in the article about this – that i noticed. And weirdly, it is NOT so flattering! Please – freud me here. Do peeps USUALLY have pics above their bed???  Of themselves?  And if so, how weird is it when the person looks better in real life? And is a multiple conjunct Virgo?

I am SO going to save up my Mars-Saturn thoughts on Bad-Dads and Older Husbands at an Early Age for a Later Post…

Would you put a picture of yourself hugely above your bed?

Liz
Liz
September 1, 2011 11:58 pm

PL’s portrait was done by a famous artist and is a good rep of his style http://francescoclemente.net/portraits/1.html Guessing that PL cherishes this piece. She said this about him when describing a hot sauce recipe: “This hot sauce is named after my very dear friend, Francesco. I always joke that Francesco is really an Indian man trapped in an Italian body, and he tells me I am an Italian trapped in an Indian body. He and his beautiful and elegant wife lived in Madras when I was very young. He is now so addicted to this sauce that I feel like… Read more »

ana
ana
October 6, 2010 1:29 am

I like it..she is a babe all the way! Nice boobies on that girl. I am just sayin’:)

Patty
Patty
December 31, 2009 3:34 pm

I have a poster sized picture of a dead bird over my bed. *shrug* i love the picture and my husband doesn’t mind.

Odette-in-Libra
Odette-in-Libra
December 28, 2009 10:58 am

Absolutely not – I’d be way too embarrassed to seem that egotistical. (Egotism is so boring after age 29.) I might have a (much smaller) picture in some discrete place in the apartment, surrounded by pictures of other people.

On the other hand, people do all kinds of crazy things when recovering from the breakup of a serious relationship, so I say – whatever gets you going in the morning, go with it.

frankie
frankie
December 27, 2009 3:32 pm

I don’t feel there is anything wrong with her hanging a portrait of herself in her home, perhaps it’s a way for her to express her new found independence and self-reliance. It appears to be a very personal piece of artwork. People that find pictures and paintings of people in their own homes as egocentric just come across as insecure and judgmental, to each her own, and if she wants to celebrate who she is, cheers to that! It shows someone who is enjoying their life, and proud of their achievements, inner spirit, and expressing their creativity, etc. I also… Read more »

Aria
Aria
December 26, 2009 5:18 pm

So.. I completely agree with the ‘painted herself’ idea – and perhaps she painted this portrait of herself trying to depict what she WANTS to be? Not in a physical sense but in an emotional/spiritual one.. so she sees something in that painting that she someday wants to emulate naturally and by putting it above her bed it’s in such a personal place and so meaningful to her that everytime she sees it, handpainted, it’s like a little reminder to be more like the woman in it – her, but, improved somehow.

Yes? Maybe?

Anonymous
Anonymous
December 25, 2009 4:19 pm

hello there Padma is NOT a Virgo sun….she is Scorpio sun. Very dissapointing that someone would not check their facts. Poor journalism.

whatever
whatever
December 25, 2009 5:02 pm
Reply to  Anonymous

lol grinch

fallen angel
fallen angel
December 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Whoa. Yes, perhaps this was one of those talismans of honoring the former self before the shit storm. But to the essential question, would I want to shag in this bedroom? NO. Would I have restful sleep in it knowing a version of myself with a dead stare and staring tits hovered above me? NO. As far as bedrooms are concerned, I pretty much sod a postured style, the only statement it needs to make IMO is that it deliver sound sleep and sound sex. Not necessarily in that order. So I would be more concerned with thread count, light… Read more »

leonine librarian
leonine librarian
December 24, 2009 7:28 am
Reply to  fallen angel

Maybe there is another even more unexplanable portrait tucked far away from the camera?

Seabird
Seabird
December 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Funny, I just read an article on her from Vanity Fair 2007, in which she mentioned this portrait. She said it was done by quite a famous artist and when she broke up with Rushdie, this was one of the few things that she wanted from their joint possessions. I WANTED to like her, she’s gorgeous, she comes from a really interesting background – single mother who moved from India with a young baby (Padma) to escape the stigma of being divorced. But in the article, she just comes across as a bit ingenious and dumb and quite aware of… Read more »

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
December 23, 2009 11:29 am

Next question. Are they pomegranates on the bed?

Baristagem
Baristagem
December 23, 2009 12:07 pm
Reply to  Ãœber Virgo

Or eggplants? lol

mutable
mutable
December 23, 2009 11:11 am

maybe a lover painted it

leonine librarian
leonine librarian
December 23, 2009 10:28 am

Mystic did you notice what looks like a gold snake braclet on her arm in the pic?

I do think that this pic placement and style of said pic is taking the piss somewhat at herself…as in a sort of knees up Mother Brown style, show us your tits brazenly…take that other people’s perceptions type way.

Baristagem
Baristagem
December 23, 2009 9:34 am

My multiple conjunct Sun, Moon & Mercury in Virgo brother is very talented in fashion sketching & has pictures of himself up in his room that he has drawn. Yes I have found it rather odd & I would be embarrassed by it if it were me, but I think it mixes in with his ego somehow & he feels good about it. They do rarely look like him as they are rather harsh looking, which he is not, still strange as is with Padma. She is so beautiful & that picture is not so but then again knowing it… Read more »

william
william
December 23, 2009 8:29 am

doesnt matter, when sun conjuncts pluto she’s gonna die

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
December 23, 2009 11:30 am
Reply to  william

The dark moon was last week, wills.

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
December 23, 2009 8:26 am

I THINK THE PIC IS PLAYFul, in a sort of ‘naive’ style (but not nec representing her as naive) and if it was me doing it, it would be because I was all about ME for a while. Maybe she is quite a selfless / giving person so needs that Leonic reminder to focus on Herself, etc..?.

btw i just love the two guys virgo/pisces having a huge pic of Pamela Anderson in their place…it works for me on so many levels 🙂

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
December 23, 2009 8:28 am

Also the painting might be a gift or have some personal meaning for her so it doesn;t matter if she looks less hot, it is still her in the artist’s interpretation and PS the painting is a tad sexy (ie her boobs look great) so less need to focus on glamour / details of appearance…..? again pisces interpretation…

unpredictable pisces
unpredictable pisces
December 23, 2009 9:51 am

last thought/ maybe SHE painted it!

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
December 23, 2009 11:30 am

Very possible

spirit
spirit
December 23, 2009 3:30 am

um…yeah…Feng Shui wouldn`t like this ….a picture of SELF above a double bed ?…my husband once had an Artist paint an abstract nude of me ….but I can tell you it is most definitely NOT above our bed.

xox rockstar libran publicist xox
xox rockstar libran publicist xox
December 23, 2009 1:11 am

that painting is just plain ugly irrespective of what her intention or status is / was. and she be TOTALLY divine.

motivated by activity on this site, moved sleeping position (for instantly improved feng shui) to an auspicious direction – coinciding with visit to Art Sydney, which became Art My House…. resulting in a wall shuffle – net result being what now hangs above the bed head… massive femme nude by Le Ex – actually well placed.
as long as it doesnt fall…….
all over red rover for the sleepers!! lol xox

C
C
December 23, 2009 12:37 am

I see it as the final step of the total Virgo. Ultimately, they only have room for themselves, in the nicest poss way.

I wanted to love Padma but watching her on Top Chef somewhat put me off.

C
C
December 24, 2009 5:07 am
Reply to  C

Think I should’ve qualified that, I have 2 good Virgo friends and know many more. Both of those 2 have their homes absolutely junked up with huge photos, portraits and even sculptures of themselves…to the point where they jokingly refer to it when you go over…

virgo rising
virgo rising
December 23, 2009 12:03 am

As an artist who specializes in portraits, I have discovered the only person I can’t seem to capture on canvas in myself. I think she painted this herself and is some kind of reminder to her not to take herself or her beauty too seriously; a quirky reality check…..Almost all beautiful women never see themselves the way the rest of us see them…

Stress Princess
Stress Princess
December 23, 2009 12:00 pm
Reply to  virgo rising

Ooh, that’s a goody, VR. It’s not about ego, it’s about keeping a healthy perspective of oneself in the midst of everyone else’s opinions. Paint a quirky self-portrait. What a great therapy tool for women with varying “issues.”

FireTrine
FireTrine
December 23, 2009 3:19 pm
Reply to  virgo rising

I think you might be right, I feel this a very personal thing to her.

tati
tati
December 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Maybe it’s actually the guest bedroom …

Tamberlaine
Tamberlaine
December 22, 2009 11:21 pm

I think it’s very staged and maybe the stylist for the shoot is trying to make a statement for her. As a virgo sun I can’t imagine a multiple virgo would keep a portrait of herself above her bed, but then she is a very very beautiful woman and has naturally been idolised because of it all her life. Maybe she bought the hype ?

tati
tati
December 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Interesting … maybe it is a reaction to the ex-marriage … he wrote a whole novel thinly disguised about her, as a goddess-like figure, the epitome of men’s desires and the most beautiful woman in a really mystical way. The novel is “The Enchantress of Florence” and it’s a good read as are all his books. I think from an article I read soon after the breakup (in which he wasn’t bitching, just wistful) he was saying that it was hard to be married to someone so beautiful, kind of like it was intimidating. Of course, that’s running down his… Read more »

Uranian&Plutonic Virgo
Uranian&Plutonic Virgo
December 23, 2009 12:09 am
Reply to  tati

I dig your analysis Tati.

soph
soph
December 23, 2009 2:16 am

I totally agree with tati’s analysis too. Espesh since I did the same thing after being pedestal-ised a couple of years ago: cut off most of my hair, got into the pastries, basically just uglied up for a bit. AND, it so happens, that I have my Moon, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all in Virgo and a framed photograph of moi, albeit looking quite fine imho, above my bed. Conspiracy, non?

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
December 23, 2009 12:25 pm
Reply to  soph

wow, that’s a lot of Virgo. What’s your Sun sign?

FireTrine
FireTrine
December 22, 2009 10:43 pm

This seems an angry and awkward self-portrait. It’s like she is using it to ward off something, maybe like Liz refers to, it is to do with her single status currently and her anger at men. The colour is reminiscent of the sacral sexy chakra and is very powerful and I think she is located in the more masculine aggressive side of the pic. The face is mask-like, she can look like that, but it is surprising it would appeal to see herself this way? Then the legs! Thrown up like she has fallen, or been tipped over, yet passive… Read more »

Leogroover
Leogroover
December 22, 2009 10:21 pm

or maybe the whole thing was staged for the shoot. She does look “posed’ . However she may love the pic and the artist who is very anti Rushdie just to piss him off. Do Virgo’s think like that? as a leo it comes au naturale

leonine librarian
leonine librarian
December 23, 2009 9:11 am
Reply to  Leogroover

I know the Virgos in my life do good silent statement stuff.

Liz Wiggins
Liz Wiggins
December 22, 2009 10:18 pm

And you wonder why she is single? Our environment is a reflection of us and just looking at this would tend you invoke the feeling of her begin all about her and ultimately it takes two to make a marriage / relationship work. Placing pictures of you as a happy couple would work best……unless of course you enjoy begin on your own.

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
December 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Maybe the naive portrait is an attempt at irony. It’s not implausible she prefers to be single. Rushdie’s ego is gigantic and she might be attempting to one-up him by sticking her enlarged self above the bed. Mars in Leo would be into that.

Her parents split when she was one.

Liz Wiggins
Liz Wiggins
December 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Funny actually – I just automatically assumed she had this when she was married whereas it could have well been placed after she became single and it is a power tool. However not sure about the legs up in the air!

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
December 23, 2009 12:01 am

oh yes, would love to hear Liz’s thoughts on Cher’s room. It is VERY heavy!!

leonine librarian
leonine librarian
December 23, 2009 9:10 am

I’d love to know about that ceiling espec…because while I like the carving in theory, in practice it makes me feel like it could drop on me at any moment.

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
December 22, 2009 11:54 pm

BTW, her Mars in Leo is conjunct Lilith. She likes to be on top.

And yes, I find the legs in the air a little too ironic.

funickity
funickity
December 22, 2009 10:14 pm

wrong wrong wrong.
can’t BELIEVE she’s a virgo.
The painting is hideous and even if it was half decent no self respecting virgo would sleep under their own portrait! The only explanation is that the artist is a dear friend who she couldn’t bare to upset so had to put the thing up somewhere. At least guests wont be bowled over by it when they come into the lounge room, and you can’t see it when you’re in bed (unless you’re doing something bendy and tantric I guess)

Stress Princess
Stress Princess
December 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Oooooh, I’d find it so tacky and egocentric… not at all a turn on if you were to sleep with a guy and whoa, dude, there’s you on the wall. A mirror, groovy, but a dead-eyed portrait on a canvas?? Eerie. BUT having said that, I have my own self-portrait story. Okay, so as an actor, we get asked to do strange things and I felt terribly flattered to be chosen as a post-christmas sale model for a jewellery chain store photo campaign. Upon seeing the store taking said photo down after the sale, I was unusually bold and walked… Read more »

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
December 23, 2009 12:27 am

Hehe… that is a tricky one – torn between modesty and evidence of an achievement. I’m inclined to veer towards the latter, it being a campaign et al.

Sassy
Sassy
December 22, 2009 9:58 pm

It is like her alter ego maybe? Virgo Beyonce aka Sascha Fierce? Im sure she has a few paintings or photos of herself or sascha fierce around the bedroom…

I would do it, but not in such large proportion….
Shows you have a healthy ego..jajajajaj