Astro-Beauty: Gloss Or Matte?

beauty shot red lipstick glossIs there a Sun, Moon or Venus sign signature that totally always goes for Matte and one that goes for Gloss???

I am so lip gloss attached that i cannot imagine ever using a lipstick again, no matter how awesome the ad-spiel or Freudian the packaging…It doesn’t seem nourishing enough…Just so retro and non-me.

But I think Earth Signs prefer the solidity of an actual lipstick & that a proper lipstick tube seems somehow more statussy and adequate…non? And Fire Signs might even find them less fiddly…

So, i’m calling it: Air & Water like Gloss. Fire & Earth prefer Matte.

Plus: oh this is going to sound  horrid, but it’s true – Aries and Saggo women tend (unless they actually work in a fashion-forward industry and are obsessive beauty fiends) tend to stick with whatever worked with them the year of their high school formal or something. Even when they are madly modern and current in every single other context.

Image: Van Tri Le

, ,

sagsuntaurusrising
sagsuntaurusrising
December 13, 2011 1:49 pm

definitely matte, gloss looks like a preteen.

Greer
Greer
November 16, 2009 4:01 pm

True, my mom is a Sag and still wears the same colors and formulas that worked for her in high school…In the early 80s.

Scorpleo
Scorpleo
September 21, 2009 5:06 am

Not a fan of most lip products in general–too much fuss about eating/drinking/speaking/kissing people…just give me some lightly tinted balm, perhaps a stain if it’s a big to-do. I’d choose gloss over lipstick if I had to, though, as long as it wasn’t really sticky.

Scorp, Leo rising, Venus in Libra and just about everything else in Cap or Scorp.

Tones
Tones
September 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I think the pic is just hyper exposure and some good old mushed-up jelly with maybe food colouring. It’s great what effects you can get with everyday things!
I am airy-water mostly and do like lipstick on occasion, even matte. But I do agree that Saggs an Ariesessas do get stuck in the style ruts of yesteryear. Or they go get their colours done by some beautician in a low-rent department store and spend the rest of their lives avoiding brights because some colour-blind moron told them they were a ‘spring’.

virgolicious
virgolicious
September 19, 2009 9:16 am

oh yes, matt for special occasions – MAC Viva Glam for preference or a beautifully packaged and fragrant Geurlain red.

For everyday I love neutrals and am rapidly running through the remains of my perfect Jurlique neutral, gleaned from the remains of about 20 tubes around the house when I discovered that they weren’t making it anymore!

I still haven’t found a satisfactory replacement.

ps, best tip for a perfect base for strong colours: neutral lip liner – what a revelation!

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
September 19, 2009 7:59 am

Her lips remind me of the hemmorrhoid surgery a co-worker had to go in for.

The office mgr. said that it was to make him “a perfect asshole”

🙂

Antonella
Antonella
September 19, 2009 1:24 am

well, aries here (venus in pisces and moon in aqua) and definitely matte red lipstick (pale skin and dark hair)

btw in high school I wore horrendous brownish stuff, so I definetely improved but i work in a graphic/cool environment so maybe it’s the reason for my being not stuck in the plain ’90s…

zentropy
zentropy
September 19, 2009 12:03 am

I have so much lip gloss it’s getting ridiculous. I have it stashed in places so that I’m never far from it: 3 colors in my car cubby, pen holder at work, some in each of the 2 main purses I use, my backpack and of course the bowl I keep my keys. I do have lipsticks (my fav’s are a bronze & metallic rose that come in neon orange tubes from MAC’s sci-fi line) As to the Sagg/highschool link, I didn’t wear makeup in HS and wasn’t interested at all in fashion back then, and as an engineer I’m… Read more »

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
September 19, 2009 1:19 am
Reply to  zentropy

might be Pluto hitting your Cap rising? I have Cappy rising too and have started changing my look… around the time Pluto went into Cap. I’m slowly evolving from tomboy to woman 🙂

Ariel
Ariel
September 18, 2009 8:00 pm

I’ve tried everything, Gem with Leo Rising so I experimented crazily from the age of about 12. I think matt lipstick is kind of gross. I’ve tried all the nude colours, and seriously, they do not suit me, I think they are for Librans, Cancerians & Pisces. I wear deep red glossy lipstick at the moment, as and when I do, and the rest of the time a glossy lip balm. Sticky gloss fingers are creepy I admit so a brush is handy… Honestly I love lip stuff the most of all cosmetics, I practically collected them as a teenager.

Ariel
Ariel
September 18, 2009 8:06 pm
Reply to  Ariel

By nude I really meant pale pink, frosted or whatever.. my Libran mother was always encouraging me to buy those & they just look wrong on me. I have dark hair & pale skin so the red is striking, otherwise I don’t bother. So Venus in Taurus = love of red?

Ram Tormented by Librans
Ram Tormented by Librans
September 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Aries Sun, Cancer rising, Libran Moon. I love matte lipstick – especially something in blue/red or hot pink (I have pale skin and dark hair). I use gloss only when really having full on smoky eyes and just the palest lip. I attribute my ability to move with the make up times and not stick to what I wore at high school to my Libran moon.

I spent the many months of Venus in Aries this year perfecting my eybrows. Bloody fantastic job – if I do say so myself.

Lexicon_limbo
Lexicon_limbo
September 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Taurean here, I feel NAKED without lipstick. I can forego eye makeup but don’t ask me not to lip up!

starstrokes
starstrokes
September 18, 2009 3:25 pm

This Leo is into a natural hint of gold lip gloss…the smile has gotta shine!

starstrokes
starstrokes
September 18, 2009 3:26 pm
Reply to  starstrokes

that is, natural with a hint of gold…

Anonymous
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Yes .. gloss only for this Gem too! Gloss with lipliner, gloss with sparkles .. as long as it is not matte. I have treid to wear lipstick occasionally and it always ends up a mess. The seldom times I have ever used blood red lipstcik-lipstick, people comment … but I get the urge to wipe it off after about 15 minutes. And .. my Cap friends mother taught her never to leave home without lipstick. She is the only person I know who still has coral in her collection and isn’t affraid of frosted pink! Oh Moon = Pisces… Read more »

Sweetpea
Sweetpea
September 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Interestiingly, today, just noticed double Cap Sun Moon co-worker had matte lips and soft smokey lids. Not her usual and she looked pretty so I told her so. She’s a blonde, 40, (massage therapist too and is an escort every year for the Palm Springs Film Festival red carpet stuff where she gets assigned a star to look after. She’s met all the stars and when she fixes up, look out! Gorge…She asked me if I’d like to do the Film Festival thing but I said no thanks…Not my bag..) Anywho (I know, who cares really… but point of interest… Read more »

pegasus
pegasus
September 18, 2009 1:03 pm

So yes, same as when a teen!

pegasus
pegasus
September 18, 2009 1:02 pm

For years i could never understand why lipstick just did not suit me & impossible to find a colour that looked good with my skin tone. The when trying to find a shade at Dior counter last year, a cosmetician said ‘you have naturally red lips’. DUH, how come i never knew???? This is the reason only lightly tinted berry shades of gloss are suitable. Coulda saved a lot on buyin the wrong lipsticks if had known earlier. Yes, of course i look in the mirror but the penny just didn’t drop:) All i need do is bite my lips,… Read more »

saggigal
saggigal
September 18, 2009 12:27 pm

LOL! saggis sticking to what they wore to high school formal et al. 🙂

i am obsessive about natural lip balm, my lips feel naked without it, and i can not stand lipstick, feel like a drag queen when i put it on. so er, yes, still wearing what i was at 15!!

Odette
Odette
September 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Sun in Libra; Moon in Aries; Venus in Virgo.
If I remember to wear lip stuff at all, it’s usually light. My libra self loves glitter & glamour but I worry about the chemicals in lipstick (is that a Virgo thing?) Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer is a big favorite.

p.s. I thought the photo was very icky. I might have been reminded of berries if it wasn’t for the sickly pale color of the lips themselves. Sorry.

year of the fox
year of the fox
September 18, 2009 1:31 pm
Reply to  Odette

For some reason, it looked like really bad cervical dysplasia or herpes lips. I blame the dark moon!

JenGem
JenGem
September 18, 2009 1:57 pm

I recommend Benefit (benetint companion) lip gloss for color is perfect altho, i know, it comes in a pot – and the tint is v nice too but tricky to get to know well, tho once mastered you can color by degree and then put any topping over – not sure how ‘natural’ Benefit products is/are. btw i know everyone thinks the pawpaw stuff in the red tube is the natural biz and people are practically inhaling it universally but unfortunately it is full of parabens (i read an unmasking review about it)… i also think palmers cocoa butter/creme etc… Read more »

JenGem
JenGem
September 18, 2009 1:59 pm
Reply to  JenGem

Actually Stila also does some v nice lip stuff/s, tints and soft glosses. Her packaging is v cool and i’m sure she is completely eco

September 18, 2009 3:49 pm
Reply to  JenGem

they don’t quote parabens as an ingredient though…isn’t that like conpulsory?>

Libra Lou
Libra Lou
September 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Burt’s Bees have a tinted moisturising gloss which is like the best of all worlds (lippie, gloss and balm).

I do that during the day, but go for my matte Mac Russian Red when doing the retro vamp thing for evening or performing.

Libra Lou
Libra Lou
September 18, 2009 6:02 pm
Reply to  Libra Lou

Sorry, I didn’t mean that as a reply to the paraben thing. ‘Twas for Mystic’s red gloss query.

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
September 18, 2009 6:45 pm
Reply to  JenGem

Lucas Papaw ointment is petroleum based. Non petroleum brands are Pure Nutraceuticals or Simmons Paw Paw Salve.

I scour the ingredients of everything now. Alchemy and Akin range are good as are Perfect Potion.

September 18, 2009 3:49 pm

i thought it was a crushed raspberry or something on her lips. shiny red gloss – DJ’s store brand has a pretty good red gloss but not that natural – anything really glossy would be full of acrylic-y things. I think if you’re after natural-based glosses you’d need to run with brands like Aveda, ummm don’t know who else , i never buy makeup…oops BUT chanel infra-rouge if that still exists does really nice light-textured and not too bright lippies in fab shades of subtle red. i know you’re a gloss fiend but might be worth a try? that’s all… Read more »

September 18, 2009 3:50 pm

face = fave

Aeris
Aeris
September 18, 2009 11:05 am

Yep! This Gem prefers gloss! Cept for when I was 23 and wore matte-ish “Blackberry” by Revlon every single day!

Degrassi
Degrassi
September 18, 2009 10:54 am

I often tell myself my lips are perfect without cover (I’m an Aries!). Possibly because I was clueless in high school and did very little – except those Bonne Belle flavoured things, which I ditched when I discovered your lips get addicted to them and can become permanently dried out. I love Nars lip pencils – easy to apply, dramatic, and yes matte. The glassy lip thing – isn’t that over these days? ;o)

missLibraLibra
missLibraLibra
September 18, 2009 10:40 am

Libra sun and moon. Virgo Rising. Sagg Venus

NEVER leave the house without lipstick. I literally carry at least 4 different ones with me at all times. I like to look of gloss but i hate how it feels – so gluggy, messy and fiddly and the colour fades too fast.

I love lipsticks with high moisture/shine – you get the shine and the colour and they never get sticky and gross.

year of the fox
year of the fox
September 18, 2009 11:56 am
Reply to  missLibraLibra

Me too! That’s exactly what I would want too.

Libra Sun: Sagg Rising: Venus in Virgo

V Venusian
V Venusian
September 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Me three! I never leave the house without at least 2 lipsticks. And my fave colour….I have four tubes of it ..one on make-up bench in bathroom, one in my bag , one at work, and a spare in the top drawer! I can’t stand the feeling of bare lips especially while I am driving long distance so I carry clear lip conditioner with me always too, also x4(see above) I love the idea of gloss but I live in a really windy place and it does not look cool or sexy peeling your hair off your ticky tacky lips!… Read more »

aquaphobe
aquaphobe
September 18, 2009 10:29 am

moon in scorp…
gloss…for the sheer ‘i’m not REALLY wearing lipstick’ self delusions.
most days prefer the old rosehip balm… tried a luscious red once…only to discover on sighting post event photos that I am cursed with chicken lips. soooo not condusive to scarlets and power pouting…

Lexicorn
Lexicorn
September 18, 2009 10:12 am

I cannot actually be apart from my lip gloss for more than a few hours. It is a kind of extension of my body. But, as much as I am a gloss fiend, I rarely use the tinted stuff anymore (even girlie boys grow out of tinted lips), and NEVER the sticky dewy stuff. NEVER. For me its more about lip comfort than lip appearance.
Earth Sun, Ascendant and Moon.

natal saturn conj moon in Cap/Sagg Sun
natal saturn conj moon in Cap/Sagg Sun
September 18, 2009 10:02 am

Bingo Mystic! This Sagg likes matte.

3xscorp
3xscorp
September 18, 2009 9:58 am

hmmm if I wear it at all I go to excess.. liner, lipstick and then gloss…. and strictly red, or I am strickly pawpaw ointment… in high school I was a bonne belle addict I went through boxes of the stuff, was lipstick packaged but was a definite balm…

Scorpio Sun, Aquarius Moon & Libra Venus….
xx

nancyx
nancyx
September 18, 2009 9:44 am

ohhh I’m going to be a spoilsport and say pisces (gem asc) who prefers matte! gloss is messy and I don’t like eating it. matte is good for knowing which glass (and man…) is yours! however I only wear it when going out at night and I want to look dramatic, usually I go with nothing (less chemicals for me to eat that way).

JenGem
JenGem
September 18, 2009 9:26 am

Am lovin the pic in a grossed out way. True am air/air rising & nevr thought abt the gloss/matt debate – i am lovin the tinted lipsticks which are slide on hint of color (ie ysl sheers). still get the lipstick chic packaging but not the stuck-to-lips hair and the ‘i’m so 18 with my mac lipglass or my juicy tube (?!)’ too right abt what worked way back then – my aries friend still has the awesome 40+ body but her clothes! …. lucky they are all coming back in again, she never throws anything away, so all those… Read more »

September 18, 2009 9:25 am

subtle gloss. nice, maintain-able, you don’t notice immediately if it wears off – bit of leeway. …in my exp men don’t go for the fly-catcher mega gloss – plus not v kissable? am averse to most lippies due to sticky lip marks – harks back to my days as a bar wench trying to scrub off impossible gunky lipstick marks off wine glasses.

September 18, 2009 9:28 am

in fact, i usually run with a lipliner and a normal lip balm – fits in your pocket so you can travel light 🙂 venus in aries, moon in cap.

September 18, 2009 9:29 am

agh. by ‘run’ i mean use. not jogging. exercise makeup is just silly imho unless v hot prospects are present, and you have bomb-proof mascara!!

Scorp Scorp
Scorp Scorp
September 18, 2009 7:22 pm

I’m with you! I have fairly pillowy lips and too much gloss makes me feel awkward. So slightly shiny lip balm is my favourite!

September 21, 2009 9:53 am
Reply to  Scorp Scorp

ohhh scorp scorp i would love pillowy lips. i am a bit envious, in a good way…

pisceaness
pisceaness
September 18, 2009 9:24 am

water- lovve lipstick, but only with gloss on top!

Gala
Gala
September 18, 2009 9:20 am

I’m a Virgo & as long as my lips look lush, I don’t mind so much. I do like a bit of sparkle but lip balm is okay by me too. The only thing is I CANNOT ABIDE having to stick my fingers in a pot. Gross. What are you supposed to do with the rest of it left on your finger?! Ugh!

virgo cat
virgo cat
September 18, 2009 12:05 pm
Reply to  Gala

!!!! agreed!

Scorpleo
Scorpleo
September 21, 2009 5:09 am
Reply to  virgo cat

This must be a Virgo thing…I bet Librans wouldn’t like it either.

flamencofish
flamencofish
September 18, 2009 9:11 am

Yah, freaky pic Mystic! But I am a gloss girl – in fact, can barely cope with lipstick on unless I have a layer of gloss over the top!
Water… you are so right!

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
September 18, 2009 8:59 am

Lord! I’m troubled by that pic. What version of the pox is that?

Lexicorn
Lexicorn
September 18, 2009 10:04 am
Reply to  Ãœber Virgo

I actually shrieked and covered my eyes.

2Natured
2Natured
September 18, 2009 8:55 am

Hey Mystic, I’m a newbee to astrology. I found your site and absolutely love it. You are refreshing and real life. Thank you.

2Natured
2Natured
September 18, 2009 8:59 am
Reply to  2Natured

BTW, I wouldn’t touch those lips with a 10-foot pole. Hello Herpes!

postmodscorp
postmodscorp
September 18, 2009 8:51 am

Matt can only be done by the sultry woman, otherwise its awful. As a water, I prefer a slick of shine to my lips, I totally LOATHE the ‘nude’ look (if I want to look like a corpse, I’ll die first), but I can do the sultry deep red matt look with my black eyes, and dark hair…… I mightgo put some make up on now….

Baristagem
Baristagem
September 18, 2009 8:34 am

Definitely gloss!
Never liked matte at all, nice on others, but so not me!
Gem/Pisces rising