Taurus – The Holy Celestial Cow

Hathor Ancient Egytpian Cow Goddess

Every now and then a Taurus e-mails to complain how annoyed they are that their emblem is a Cow but this is SO sacred! Taurus is aligned with the divine Hathor, an ancient forerunner of Isis, Inanna, Aphrodite, Astarte and all.  Pre-patriarchally (yes, it IS that time of the month again) the symbol for Taurus was not the Bull but the Cow. And not just any old cow but the original Holy Cow herself – Hathor…

From her Wikipedia;

“A hymn to Hathor says:

Thou art the Mistress of Jubilation, the Queen of the Dance, the Mistress of Music, the Queen of the Harp Playing, the Lady of the Choral Dance, the Queen of Wreath Weaving, the Mistress of Inebriety Without End.

Essentially, Hathor had become a goddess of joy, and so she was deeply loved by the general population, and truly revered by women, who aspired to embody her multifaceted role as wife, mother, and lover. In this capacity, she gained the titles of Lady of the House of Jubilation, and The One Who Fills the Sanctuary with Joy. The worship of Hathor was so popular that a lot of festivals were dedicated to her honor than any other Egyptian deity, and more children were named after this goddess than any other deity. Even Hathor’s priesthood was unusual, in that both women and men became her priests.

In recent years, the theory of matriarchal cultures existing in profusion before 3,000 B.C.E. has taken root and bring into question the interpretation of Hathor as only wife or only mother. Hathor wears the head-dress of 18 serpents (traditionally associated with wisdom and women), the cows horns (horns were associated with the crescent moon and thus, a woman’s menstrual cycles). Hathor may have, quite possibly, been the original Mother God of the Egyptian citizens….”

Ancient Egyptian Moon Goddess Statue

, ,

Leigh
Leigh
October 3, 2009 1:10 am

Right on

August 13, 2009 7:08 pm

“Holy Celestial Cow” Batman, the Joker is getting away….knew I’d heard that line somewhere.

Taurean Love Expert
Taurean Love Expert
August 13, 2009 3:28 pm

I’ve always been quite happy with being associated with images of the Divine Bovine – though the Global North (plus Aus/NZ) treats cows terribly disrespectfully. I think the cow’s generousity is mistaken for weakness… what a mistake.

As for Hera – yes, she’s painted as a ‘jealous shrew’ in patriarchal mythology, but she was a very powerful goddess, & had LOTS of serious devotees in her day. Patriarchal Greek myths only had 4 roles for les femmes: frigid bitch, nagging wife, amoral homewrecker & rape victim. But SO much going on under the surface 🙂

matthew-minerva
matthew-minerva
August 13, 2009 8:27 am

I am as i have stated beofre an egyptian fanatic! and i am quiet familiar with the egyptian gods & goddess’. I think that the “Hathor-Cow-Goddess” is a symbol of nearly ALL feminine worship symbols.

LMFAO at Luinae “Kataka” – THAT IS SOOO FUNNY! lol i remember even when I first started liking astrology in like grade 2 or something – we used to compare them
“HA ur a crab”
“yea well what are u?”
“Im half a goat!”
wtf!
lol

Luinae "Kataka"
Luinae "Kataka"
August 13, 2009 6:45 am

You think being a cow is bad?

Try being a DISEASE. Cancer indeed. Humph

Aries_FTL
Aries_FTL
August 13, 2009 5:33 am

I love this space! I especially love how a discussion about Hathor ends up at bull sperm hair treatment! LOL. 🙂

year of the fox
year of the fox
August 13, 2009 5:03 am

Bull sperm treatment for you hair. Much better than Cameron Diaz’s hair gel.

bull w sting in tail
bull w sting in tail
August 13, 2009 12:14 am

Hey Mystic,

You have also donned the headdress of hathor, non

Glad to be of the bovine

sorry missed yr poll, but vienna is all consuming at the moment

keep it up Empress of the ethereal

xx

venus a-go-go
venus a-go-go
August 12, 2009 11:53 pm

If anyone is awake for this…

…hopefully this will be impressive…

Mary
Mary
August 12, 2009 11:33 pm

Last year, I read The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory by Cynthia Eller. Eller is a very modern, very cool feminist and anthropologist, and I fell in love with her work. She has a really intelligent take on the idea of matriarchal socieities, and she pretty much shaped my perspective on the whole deal. I highly recommend that book to anyone who is interested in prehistoric matriarchal societies and their relevance to modern feminism. Translation: Read Cynthia Eller because she is an incredibly smart woman.

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
August 13, 2009 11:53 am
Reply to  Mary

Sounds good. Must make time for this. I might have to devote a page in my diary to tips I get from this site. Ta!

year of the fox
year of the fox
August 12, 2009 11:30 pm

I don’t see why anyone could hate cows/bulls. We as humans, esp in more primitive times, depended on them for everything. We got milk, meat, medicine, & leather from them. Modern life puts down bovine sacrifices to society I guess.

Ãœber Virgo
Ãœber Virgo
August 13, 2009 11:51 am

Yes, urban life removes us from the sources of our nourishment. How sad that we can become so disconnected.

What a beautiful post, Mystic. This site has really inspired me to learn more of mythology.

Leonine Librarian
Leonine Librarian
August 12, 2009 10:13 pm

I remember that time as a time where I doubted my own intuition, as everything was reforming around me…so any flakiness was probably mine.Although the idea of having a goddess at my back is pretty good support wise. I do like that Hathor had a positive relationship with mirrors. ‘Hathor was also the goddess of beauty and patron of the cosmetic arts. Her traditional votive offering was two mirrors and she was often depicted on mirrors and cosmetic palettes. Yet she was not considered to be vain or shallow, rather she was assured of her own beauty and goodness and… Read more »

nat
nat
August 13, 2009 5:18 pm

A well timed nude dance never fails to get a laugh in our house.
Hooray for the site gag.

Leonine Librarian
Leonine Librarian
August 12, 2009 9:55 pm

I had a reading at the beginning of Saturn stomping through Leo when I was only a little bit interested in astro matters. So in other words I knew my sun sign and that was it. Anyway the psychic said to me that she could see Hathor standing behind me…which might be what a lot of psychics say…? Though this was the only time someone said this to me…and then when I found that I had taurus rising it reminded me of the psychic’s comment.

August 12, 2009 9:51 pm

When I lived in dairy country, the cows would often be crossing a rd or something going for milking and would walk around the car. They have the most beautiful faces, especially milk cows like Jerseys. Their eyes are, as myst says, stunning.
Where i lived there was quite a large krisna community. Krisna was a cowherd, and the respect and admiration of cows and their beauty really is a major part of the imagery of krisna and his nature.

scorpalicious robot
scorpalicious robot
August 12, 2009 9:51 pm

I agree, cows are beautiful creatures.

venus a-go-go
venus a-go-go
August 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Personally… I have never had problems with being a cow…
😉

Jen
Jen
August 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Hera is often referred to as the ox-eyed goddess. She gets a bit of a bad wrap, but it is useful to remember that she was the only one of all the goddesses that Zeus would commit to (he was faithful to her for the first 300 years of their marriage, it was the following eons that he strayed). She was by all accounts the most beautiful of the goddesses (Aphrodite might have the va va voom, but Hera has something else) and her history actually pre-dates Zeus’. The worship of Hera can be traced back to a time when… Read more »

August 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Reply to  Jen

Ive always been a sucker for that dewy cow eyed look. Eyes, give me that feeling of the ‘depth’ of someone, you can fall right in.