Arch-Rival to the tres Leo Coco Chanel, she was a poet and a surrealist. Above is her Zodiac Jacket from 1938. She was Virgo – Sun-Vesta-Saturn with Moon-Chiron-Lilith in Leo. She had the Neptune-Pluto conjunction in Gemini, characteristic of her (amazing) generation.
The bottle for the 1938 scent Shocking – above – was based on the body of ultra-Leo Mae West, one of Else Schiaparelli’s fave clients. Everyone copied Elsa and often still do. In a poignant little postscript, she had a daughter – Gogo Schiaparelli and her daughter, the beautiful Aries photographer, Berry Berenson, was in one of the planes used in the terrorist attack on September 11 2001.
1. Since most women do not know themselves, they should try to do so.
2. A woman who buys an expensive dress and changes it, often with disastrous result, is extravagant and foolish.
3. Most women (and men) are colour-blind. They should ask for suggestions.
4. Remember, 20 percent of women have inferiority complexes, 70 percent have illusions.
5. Ninety percent are afraid of being conspicuous, and of what people will say. So they buy a gray suit. They should dare to be different.
6. Women should listen and ask for competent criticism and advice.
7. They should choose their clothes alone or in the company of a man.
8. They should never shop with another woman, who sometimes consciously, and often unconsciously, is apt to be jealous.
9. She should buy little and only of the best or the cheapest.
10. Never fit a dress to the body, but train the body to fit the dress.
11. A woman should buy mostly in one place where she is known and respected, and not rush around trying every new fad.
12. And she should pay her bills.